Atlantis (Atlantis, #1)

Atlantis (Atlantis #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  741 ratings  ·  65 reviews
What if the Shadow that destroyed Atlantis 10,000 years ago, comes back to threaten our present world?

A war beyond time. An enemy beyond space. A thriller beyond your wildest dreams. Three areas on the Earth’s surface defy explanation: the Bermuda Triangle, the Devil’s Sea of Japan, and a small region of Cambodia. Inside these realms, planes have disappeared, ships have va...more
Published 2003 by Audio USA (first published June 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Atlantis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atlantis

Bob Mayer
Feb 28, 2011 Bob Mayer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, that Robert Doherty guy-- can't review my own book, though one time my editor put a quote from Robert Doherty on a book that was under my own name, or vice versa. But at least need to list it under my books.
Sheryl Olszewski
I picked up the first 2 books in this series because I enjoyed the early books in the "Area 51" series by the same author (Bob Mayer = Robert Doherty = Greg Donegan and at least one more) and I have always found the Atlantis and Bermuda Triangle mysteries compelling. That was enough to draw me in.

The series opens in the Bermuda Triangle and quickly spreads around the globe to other sites marked with similar mysterious disappearances. Bob's style is to introduce 2-4 sets of characters then follo...more
Henry
I read the Kindle version, and I hope the print version was not as poorly edited. There were about half a dozen grammar mistakes. Also, there was one page where the main character's name was replaced on two occasions with what I later learned was the name of the main character of Doherty's Area 51 series. Really? Also kind of annoying that the end of the Kindle version is the first chapter of one of Doherty's Area 51 books. It threw me off that the book ended at a 94%.

Doherty's military backgrou...more
Peggy Bechko
Just finished Atlantis - Yep, a really great read all the way through. Just a short stretch in beginning that didn't grab me and that was military in the jungle, but that isn't the focus, just some background. It picked up quickly after that and I was captivated through the book I'd recommend it for anyone who loves science fiction, adventure and a really good read.
Tommy
I was hoping for more pay-off in this novel about the Bermuda Triangle and other mysterious "triangles" across the planet, which turn out to be linked to Atlantis, and possibly another dimension. The focus is on military characters, which also bums me out. Since this is the first book in a series, the author seems to be saving the "good stuff" for future books. I did quite enjoy the giant multi-headed snake monster, and the thing that was like a lion with a crocodile head, or something like that...more
Bob Nailor
I thoroughly enjoyed the book and especially liked the bouncing between locales and personalities. Near the end it was a case of not wanting to put it down -- having to need what was going to happen next. I was disappointed to find that there is a 'next' book although the story did end, it didn't finish and now I must read the next book which I have discovered leads to book 3 which then leads to book 4. In their defense, the books are done unlike a series I innocently started years ago and had t...more
Danny
Written under one of Bob Mayer's two pen names: Greg Donegan, this is the first novel in R. Doherty's science fiction series of Atlantis. Donegan's first publication of the Atlantis series instantly became a best seller because it proved to be unique and intriguing as it keeps anxious readers on their edge of their seats. Having read this book before, I came across the need to find the novel that so awed me many countless years ago. I was determined to find this former bestseller and luckily, it...more
Jessica Snyder
The concept behind this book is interesting. What if the the Bermuda Triangle contained a real source of disturbing phenomena, was connected to other sites like it, and all were controlled by aliens bent on invading Earth? The plot based on the concept was decent and engagingly paced for the first 2/3 of the book, (until the scientific errors and required suspension of disbelief became too great). That being said, the writing style is rather sophomoric. The dialogue is stilted at times, and many...more
Bob
It’s an action adventure novel that has government agencies and private companies in competition to discover what is happening within the Bermuda Triangle and a similar one in the unexplored jungle of Cambodia. People and planes have gone into the areas and never come out and when a millionaire business man send a Hi-Tech survey plane with his daughter in command over the Cambodian triangle only to have it disappear as well things really heat up. Myths about the area point to a civilization olde...more
Sanchi
I have won this in a giveaway on good reads from first reads. This book series was the first win I had and honestly It was taking so long to get through each chapter for me I couldn't take it. I did enjoy the twist in the book, however kinda took a little long to get to the point. Too much descriptive writing about half way in. I have received the entire series from good reads and after the difficulty reading the first book, It may take me a while before I can start the second:(. Don't get me wr...more
M
After I read Psychic Warrior this book then made sense. The whole issue of an open gate into another dimension, in this case happening in Cambodia, (Angkor Wat) similar to dimensional openings in the Bermuda Triangle is the basis for this novel that divulges intelligence information. Usual story, big corporate industrialist trying to get an edge on an industry, (aircrafts) and hires a mercenary well trained in these types of maneuvers, who had experienced wanting to see a buddy who died on a mis...more
Who Dares Wins Publishing
There are a lot of similiarities to the hit TV show Lost, espeically the first season. Interestingly enough, the book was originally published 5 years before the TV show. To see the similarities check out this website: http://www.bobmayer.org/index.php?id=30

If you liked Lost you will love every book in this series. Robert Doherty
Bob Mayer
ATLANTIS
Eric
This novel is the beginning of a series about the many gates around the world similar to the Bermuda Triangle and how an Alien race is using them to try and take over Earth. Mayers does a wonderful job of character development and plot built up so readers know that they will be learning more about each character throughout the series. Story kept building with suspense until almost the last page which showed that the author wished the reader to know that he is certainly not done this novel and th...more
Ryan Rauber
This book started very promising. The Bermuda Triangle, The Devil's Sea near Japan, and the jungles of Cambodia all having some strange connection where mysterious things happen. The first half of this book was terrific, with an expedition entering the region in Cambodia said to be home of a legendary lost kingdom. The second half devolved into a wtf storyline. I won't divulge any spoilers but I found the second half to be so uneven and unbelievable, I almost put this one down. Started very prom...more
Bill
A good thriller has to have interesting characters, a good threat and plot that doesn't let up. Atlantis has all three. It also adds interest by bringing together the legend of Atlantis, the mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle, and a plausible response to the threat. All these ingredients kept me turning pages and should have been worth four stars.

But I have to mark it down because it also has plenty of typographical errors, a jumble of character viewpoints and confusing settings, and occasional c...more
Lee
I found myself looking for reasons to "sneak in a chapter or two" during my hectic days and nights. I loved this novel because it has: High action, mystery, Cambodian history, Aliens, corporate espionage, the Lost City of Atlantis, military, legends, Bermuda Triangle, CIA, Suspense, Adventure, portals to who-knows-where, worldwide locations and impact, and people with some enhanced abilitites whose origin is as yet unexplained.

A very different take on the Atlantis myth.
Bethany Richter voight
Kindle version was updated in 2011. However some of the plot details don't match up. The author mentions 9/11 and years of aftermath, yet 1968 was "three decades ago". Um, I teach social studies not math but I'm pretty sure it's been over forty years. Several typos or left out words. Overall story was interesting. I liked the ancient historical spin on places like the Bermuda Triangle and Atlantis. It was only 99 cents so it was a good several hours of entertainment.
Jolie
This was one of the best books I have read to date.

From the beginning, when you first go through the gate to the scene where you meet Foreman/Dane/Chelsea/Ariana to when you are inside the gate with them to the conclusion.....it had me.

I gave this book a 5 star review on Shelfari.

Would I recommend this book to friends/relative/complete strangers. Absolutely. Like I said above....it was one of the best books I have read to date.
Gail Baugniet
I don't normally read sci-fi thrillers but this book caught my attention in a Twitter post.

Atlantis is the first in this series, all the books entitled Atlantis with subtitles: Bermuda Triangle; Devil's Seal; Gate; Assault; and Battle For Atlantis.

The author's military background gives credence to the story and one can easily visualize the Star Wars-type action employed by the military to save the world from an ancient threat.
Richard Tolleson
This is an exciting book. Sometimes the action jumps around a bit, making things feel a bit rushed. There are also several characters that aren't well developed, then killed off quickly. If you want a character's death to matter to me, make me care about the character. This is the first in a series, and I intend to read the next one on the strength of the plot of this one.
Chris Fernandez
I enjoyed this scf-fi/para-psychological adventure/thriller! It has great pacing and action sequences plus it does a great job of tieing many world mysteries together in a neat package. Great fun to read with interesting military tech of today and beyond. If you enjoy this type of fanciful science fiction, you'll definitely find this book a worthwhile read!
Fred
Amazing series. I'm on the last book right now and the whole series has only been averaging me about two to three days per book. I've even been putting off writing to keep going on these and my Nook can barely keep up. I've had to charge it more to get through this series than I normally do in a month.
Brice Meerman
Very good quick read. I devoured this novel and will read the series. Fun and speculative, not for everyone, but if you enjoy conspiracies, Atlantis, and other dimensional theories, then this book knocks it outta the ballpark. This book has a little of EVERYTHING in it, and the pacing was exceptional.
Laurie Ryan
For a gal who doesn't normally read this type of story, I was surprised how quickly I got hooked. I bought into the premise, the characters, everything. The technical data and historical information adds a lot of depth and believability to the story. I can tell I'm going to enjoy this series.
Shane
This book has provided a great start for what looks like an interesting series of books. The action is kept moving at a great pace and I am sure there were no slow moments. I'd have appreciate more details on the "The Others" and "The Shadow" but I guess I'll have to read the next book now ;-)
Larry B Gray
I really got into this book. The charactors are strong and well defined. I like the story line especially in that it was both believable and farfetched enough to make it very interesting. I look forward to reading the next installment of this series.

I highly recommend this book.
Shannon Donnelly
I devoured this book in two evenings -- it would have been one, but I was really, really tired the first night. A great plot, terrific characterization, and fascinating historic tidits make this a fabulous read. I'd recommend this to anyone -- it's a real page turner.
Leon Small
This series relates to an interdimensional battle to save all earths from a transdimensional race bent on stealing resources from other worlds, and destroying them in the process.

As with the "Area 51" series, some historical events (mainly battles) are incorporated.
Clyde
Atlantis is a pretty good SF techno-thriller. It is a bit dated, but move the action about 20 years forward and it would make a great movie.
Incidentally, Greg Donegan and Robert Doherty are pseudonyms previously used by Bob Mayer.
Josh Hilden
Atlantis is the kickoff book of a series and must be read with that in mind. It is a fun read and sets up what is sure to be an enjoyable series of books. The mixing of "history" and "mythology" with adventure is always a good mix for me.
  • Bermuda Triangle (Atlantis, #2)
  • Callsign: King (Jack Sigler - Chess Team, #1)
  • PLAZA: An Archaeological Thriller
  • Hunter
  • PRIMAL Fury (PRIMAL, #3)
  • Battlefield 3: The Russian
  • Velocity (Judd Bell & Corey Purchase, #1)
  • Fair Game (Dan Shepherd, #8)
  • Silver
  • Resistance: The Gathering Storm
  • The Monster Hunters (Monster Hunter International #1-3)
  • Chimera: A Jim Chapel Mission
  • Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #2)
  • Slaves of Valhalla (The Prometheus Wars, #2)
  • Silicon Man
  • Deep Fire Rising (Philip Mercer, #6)
  • Fortress Britain (Arisen, #1)
Bermuda Triangle (Atlantis, #2) Atlantis Gate (Atlantis, #4) Devil's Sea (Atlantis, #3) Assault on Atlantis (Atlantis, #5) Battle for Atlantis (Atlantis, #6)