Start by marking “Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work” as Want to Read:

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  304 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews

This is the eBook version of the printed book. If the print book includes a CD-ROM, this content is not included within the eBook version.

Imagine the leaders of one of New York City’s top real-estate firms coming together every Monday morning to hear…the moral and spiritual thoughts of a Rabbi.

Imagine them returning, week after week…coming to eagerly anticipate those

Published (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Five Minutes on Mondays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Minutes on Mondays

Carlos
Jun 16, 2014 Carlos rated it really liked it
I started reading this book in September when I returned to work for the new school year. I tried to read one lesson every week. Some lessons were applicable for the week, which allowed me to think about the lesson and how it relates to my life. I shared some of the lessons (passages) with my friends. This allowed us to talk about what the lessons was trying to teach us. I read the last lesson during the last full week of the school year, fitting indeed!

To live life to the fullest is to find pu
Sumeet Jain

Author, Life is a pack of 52 cards
Mirna
Sep 07, 2012 Mirna rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
Some great stories, quotes and examples, and references. But not too much "structured" approach, nor any big new revelation - mainly all common sense and obvious stuff.
Ron
Dec 06, 2011 Ron rated it it was ok
Shelves: work
An ok book to keep on your phone for when you are stuck some place and have a few minutes to kill. I got it for free - not sure that I'd pay for it.
Cynthia
May 23, 2014 Cynthia rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
Picked Five Minutes on Mondays based upon my fast read on the cover; wow! Rabbi in the secular world giving business colleagues a spiritual compass and moral standards what a concept. Filled with stories of Jewish traditions and acronyms . Five Minutes focuses on the wisdom and knowledge from a Rabbi's POV while opening our hearts to whatever the circumstance we must use God as our compass. Great inspirational self-help read.
Charlotte
Jun 27, 2013 Charlotte rated it really liked it
Although I am retired now, I was curious about what the advice the author would provide on finding unexpected purpose, peace, and fulfillment at work. The author is a Jewish rabbi, and I am Christian, but I found no conflict there.

I did find a few typos ("hording" for "hoarding") and some subject/verb disagreements. Also, the author referred to a pyramid standing on three legs. I hadn't thought of a pyramid as having legs, but the base is actually a square with four, not three, sides even thou
Chuck Heikkinen
Nov 20, 2014 Chuck Heikkinen rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
A series of short essays on including spirituality in everyday life and work.
Kirk Mahoney
Jan 10, 2015 Kirk Mahoney rated it really liked it
I especially appreciated the citations of Joseph Telushkin's books.
Melissa
I started reading this almost a year ago and I'm still only 17 percent done. Time to give up. It's okay, not life-changing and some of the stories could easily be applied to us cubicle-dwellers. If you go to church or synagogue or the mandatory CEO meetings, you hear the same kind of sermons - not what I feel like reading in my spare time, but I'm not religious either, so it's not like I'm the target audience.
Janice
Nov 03, 2012 Janice rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Free kindle read. Enjoyed the idea that businessmen might decide to do something good for the soul rather than the pocketbook. This is a series of inspirational talks given by a rabbi to a groups of businesspeople. He has some good thoughts, repeats other good thoughts, and tries to marry the spiritual with the go-go business world.

Nice idea, but not sure that many follow this ideology.
James Kim
Nov 29, 2012 James Kim rated it really liked it
This was a free book on Amazon Kindle and the title was interesting enough to catch my attention. I'm glad it did.

The book is divided up into short readings and reflections. I have been reading a couple a chapters a day. The author shares wisdom as a Jewish Rabbi who's worked with business professionals.

Well worth spending a few minutes with the wisdom from the author on a daily basis.
Camilla Stein
Sep 25, 2013 Camilla Stein rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I read it on the train to work, primarily as the source of inspiration, but then soon it became an addiction - my day wouldn't be the same if I hadn't had a portion of Five Minutes while on the train. Thank you, Alan Lurie, for a lovely, entertaining collection that has helped many people, more than you know.
Heather
Mar 12, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok
I haven't actually finished this and I don't think I'm ever going to. It just wasn't holding my interest so I think I am actually going to give up on this book.
Debbie Korn
Inspiring but Lurie takes from many people. Lots of the ideas in his book are not his own but the messages are timeless and appropriate for North Americans.
Frank
Dec 02, 2013 Frank rated it it was ok
It's all theory, and theory that most already know. There is nothing in this book on how to implement the theory.

Not worth reading.
Loucindy
Jul 13, 2013 Loucindy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, ebook, essays
Some good points to ponder and a nice way to start exploring spirituality linked to career.
Tammy Miller
Aug 29, 2011 Tammy Miller rated it liked it
I found a few quotes that were very inspiring.
Always maintain only a joyful mind.
Eric
Jul 24, 2013 Eric rated it it was amazing
A beautiful exploration into how to be happier and find greater purpose and compassion.
Vaughn
Aug 11, 2011 Vaughn rated it liked it
Merely average reading that isn't especially well organized or new.
arun
Sep 25, 2011 arun rated it really liked it
Good read. Quite a few thought provoking writings.
Marc Rohde
Jun 15, 2013 Marc Rohde rated it did not like it
It couldn't hold my attention so I gave up.
Jessica
[free nook book]
Prince Peace
Prince Peace marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Bonnie Reinhardt
Bonnie Reinhardt rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Weirong
Weirong rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Stella
Stella rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Kuda
Kuda rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Sylvia Gomez
Sylvia Gomez marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
  • Ultimate Leadership: Winning Execution Strategies for Your Situation
  • Make More, Worry Less: Secrets from 18 Extraordinary People Who Created a Bigger Income and a Better Life
  • 25 Days to Better Thinking & Better Living: A Guide  for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life
  • Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life
  • The Truth About the New Rules of Business Writing (Truth About Series)
  • How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • Conscious Calm: Keys to Freedom From Stress and Worry
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • Presentations in Action: 80 Memorable Presentation Lessons from the Masters
  • Attack Your Day!: Before It Attacks You
  • Disrupt: Think the Unthinkable to Spark Transformation in Your Business
  • The Resume is Dead
  • How to Find A Job: When There Are No Jobs A Necessary Job Search and Career Planning Guide for Today's Job Market (Find A Job Series)
  • Secrets of a Working Dog: Unleash Your Potential and Create Success
  • Your Brain and Business: The Neuroscience of Great Leaders
  • Wired to Care: How Companies Prosper When They Create Widespread Empathy
  • Purple Squirrel: Stand Out, Land Interviews and Master the Modern Job Market

“As we look back on the arc of our lives, we often discover that the most significant, meaningful changes came from unexpected, seemingly unremarkable, or even un-welcomed sources. While we were busy planning the direction in which we thought our lives should go, something unplanned entered to steer us onto a new path that led to a destination that we could not possibly have imagined. Something that at first seemed to be a distraction, nuisance, or, perhaps, an outright disaster was, in retrospect, the best thing that could have happened. It shook us out of our routine, allowed for new possibilities to enter, and presented the opportunity to rise above our previous sense of how things should be, what” 0 likes
“In Hebrew, the word for work is avodah, which also, surprisingly, means prayer.” 0 likes