Start by marking “Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work” as Want to Read:

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  22 reviews

This is the eBook version of the printed book. If the print book includes a CD-ROM, this content is not included within the eBook version.

Imagine the leaders of one of New York City’s top real-estate firms coming together every Monday morning to hear…the moral and spiritual thoughts of a Rabbi.

Imagine them returning, week after week…coming to eagerly anticipate those

Published (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Five Minutes on Mondays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Minutes on Mondays

Carlos
I started reading this book in September when I returned to work for the new school year. I tried to read one lesson every week. Some lessons were applicable for the week, which allowed me to think about the lesson and how it relates to my life. I shared some of the lessons (passages) with my friends. This allowed us to talk about what the lessons was trying to teach us. I read the last lesson during the last full week of the school year, fitting indeed!

To live life to the fullest is to find pu
Sumeet Jain
Awesome read.
Very nicely written.
Good crisp chapters.

Sumeet
Author, Life is a pack of 52 cards
Mirna
Some great stories, quotes and examples, and references. But not too much "structured" approach, nor any big new revelation - mainly all common sense and obvious stuff.
Ron
Dec 06, 2011 Ron rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: work
An ok book to keep on your phone for when you are stuck some place and have a few minutes to kill. I got it for free - not sure that I'd pay for it.
Cynthia
Picked Five Minutes on Mondays based upon my fast read on the cover; wow! Rabbi in the secular world giving business colleagues a spiritual compass and moral standards what a concept. Filled with stories of Jewish traditions and acronyms . Five Minutes focuses on the wisdom and knowledge from a Rabbi's POV while opening our hearts to whatever the circumstance we must use God as our compass. Great inspirational self-help read.
Charlotte
Although I am retired now, I was curious about what the advice the author would provide on finding unexpected purpose, peace, and fulfillment at work. The author is a Jewish rabbi, and I am Christian, but I found no conflict there.

I did find a few typos ("hording" for "hoarding") and some subject/verb disagreements. Also, the author referred to a pyramid standing on three legs. I hadn't thought of a pyramid as having legs, but the base is actually a square with four, not three, sides even thou
Chuck Heikkinen
A series of short essays on including spirituality in everyday life and work.
Kirk Mahoney
I especially appreciated the citations of Joseph Telushkin's books.
Melissa
I started reading this almost a year ago and I'm still only 17 percent done. Time to give up. It's okay, not life-changing and some of the stories could easily be applied to us cubicle-dwellers. If you go to church or synagogue or the mandatory CEO meetings, you hear the same kind of sermons - not what I feel like reading in my spare time, but I'm not religious either, so it's not like I'm the target audience.
Janice
Free kindle read. Enjoyed the idea that businessmen might decide to do something good for the soul rather than the pocketbook. This is a series of inspirational talks given by a rabbi to a groups of businesspeople. He has some good thoughts, repeats other good thoughts, and tries to marry the spiritual with the go-go business world.

Nice idea, but not sure that many follow this ideology.
James Kim
This was a free book on Amazon Kindle and the title was interesting enough to catch my attention. I'm glad it did.

The book is divided up into short readings and reflections. I have been reading a couple a chapters a day. The author shares wisdom as a Jewish Rabbi who's worked with business professionals.

Well worth spending a few minutes with the wisdom from the author on a daily basis.
Camilla Stein
I loved this book. I read it on the train to work, primarily as the source of inspiration, but then soon it became an addiction - my day wouldn't be the same if I hadn't had a portion of Five Minutes while on the train. Thank you, Alan Lurie, for a lovely, entertaining collection that has helped many people, more than you know.
Heather
I haven't actually finished this and I don't think I'm ever going to. It just wasn't holding my interest so I think I am actually going to give up on this book.
Debbie Korn
Inspiring but Lurie takes from many people. Lots of the ideas in his book are not his own but the messages are timeless and appropriate for North Americans.
Frank
It's all theory, and theory that most already know. There is nothing in this book on how to implement the theory.

Not worth reading.
Loucindy
Some good points to ponder and a nice way to start exploring spirituality linked to career.
Tammy Miller
I found a few quotes that were very inspiring.
Always maintain only a joyful mind.
Eric
A beautiful exploration into how to be happier and find greater purpose and compassion.
Vaughn
Merely average reading that isn't especially well organized or new.
arun
Good read. Quite a few thought provoking writings.
Marc Rohde
It couldn't hold my attention so I gave up.
Jessica
[free nook book]
Kazeem Olatunji
Kazeem Olatunji marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Ginger
Ginger marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Madeline Jane krane
Madeline Jane krane marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Wiski
Wiski marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
  • Ultimate Leadership: Winning Execution Strategies for Your Situation
  • Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life
  • How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively
  • 25 Days to Better Thinking & Better Living: A Guide  for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • Make More, Worry Less: Secrets from 18 Extraordinary People Who Created a Bigger Income and a Better Life
  • Lead with Luv: A Different Way to Create Real Success
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • The Truth About the New Rules of Business Writing (Truth About Series)
  • Conscious Calm: Keys to Freedom From Stress and Worry
  • How to Find A Job: When There Are No Jobs (Book 1) A Necessary Job Search and Career Planning Guide for Today's Job Market (Find A Job Series)
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions When It Counts
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • The Rules of Work: The Unspoken Truth about Getting Ahead in Business
  • Secrets of a Working Dog: Unleash Your Potential and Create Success
  • Winners Never Cheat: Even in Difficult Times
  • Attack Your Day!: Before It Attacks You
  • Your Brain and Business: The Neuroscience of Great Leaders
Making It Work at Work: A Guide to Career Development and Fulfillment (Collection) Integrity Matters: Trust Is the Bedrock of Success The Rabbi Who Believes in Zeus: Popular Myths About Religion, Faith, and God Integrity Matters

“As we look back on the arc of our lives, we often discover that the most significant, meaningful changes came from unexpected, seemingly unremarkable, or even un-welcomed sources. While we were busy planning the direction in which we thought our lives should go, something unplanned entered to steer us onto a new path that led to a destination that we could not possibly have imagined. Something that at first seemed to be a distraction, nuisance, or, perhaps, an outright disaster was, in retrospect, the best thing that could have happened. It shook us out of our routine, allowed for new possibilities to enter, and presented the opportunity to rise above our previous sense of how things should be, what” 0 likes
“In Hebrew, the word for work is avodah, which also, surprisingly, means prayer.” 0 likes