Start by marking “Shalador's Lady (The Black Jewels, #8)” as Want to Read:
Shalador's Lady (The Black Jewels, #8)

Shalador's Lady (The Black Jewels #8)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  7,253 ratings  ·  214 reviews
View our feature on Anne Bishop’s Shalador's Lady.

Return to the "intense...erotic...and imaginative" (Nancy Kress) world of the national bestselling Black Jewels novels in this sequel to The Shadow Queen.

For years the Shalador people suffered the cruelties of the corrupt Queens who ruled them, forbidding their traditions, punishing those who dared show defiance, and forc
Published March 2nd 2010 by Roc (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Shalador's Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shalador's Lady

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsSpirit Bound by Richelle MeadDead in the Family by Charlaine HarrisLinger by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Can't Wait Books of 2010
174th out of 1,212 books — 10,694 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingA Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisCrescent Bound by Karli RushEternal Island by K.S. Haigwood
Best Books Featuring Witches
70th out of 425 books — 642 voters

More lists with this book...

M—
Wealhtheow
Aug 09, 2011 Wealhtheow rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one! save yourselves!
Shelves: fantasy
Plain, non-aristo Cassidy was given one year to restore Dena Nehele, a Territory that had been ruled by twisted Queens for centuries. Their reign of terror is finally at an end, but the scars remain, on the land and on the people. In The Shadow Queen, she created a Court to help her rule and began the hard road to recovering Dena Nehele.

Just as her Court is settling down to work at demonstrating that they intend to restore honor and fair dealing to the Territory, Cassidy's old nemesis returns. K
Sonya
After being disappointed with Tangled Webs, I had given up on new Black Jewels’ stories. I went back to the series because Nalini Singh raved about the latest book, Shalador’s Lady, in her blog.

So, now I’m caught up again and I’m glad. This book had an engaging story with new lead characters as well as brief updates on old friends. This formula works for me, hopefully Anne Bishop will continue the series in this manner.

Ithlilian
I really don't want to bash this book because I really do love Anne Bishop's writing. Some things in this plot didn't work well for me, but I still enjoyed the novel nonetheless. The story is mostly comprised of Cassidy running the country, setting up shops, growing plants, and maintaining her court. Bishop does a great job of making the mundane details of everyday life seem interesting, and having them told by compelling characters doesn't hurt. Unfortunately, the novel is largely details, and ...more
Chrissy Wissler
"Shalador's Lady" is Anne Bishop's 8th book in her Black Jewels series, is actually the direct sequel to her 7th book, "The Shadow Queen." Cassidy has done quite well for herself, despite all the setbacks and challenges from "The Shadow Queen." In this new book, however, she comes face-to-face with her past and her greatest failure, losing her court and lands to a younger, prettier (and spoiled) Queen, Lady Kermilla.

Out of all Bishop's books, this is the 'lightest' one. In general, her books ar
Beaulah Pragg
Sequel to The Shadow Queen, Shalador's Lady follows the lives of the males loyal to the rose-jewelled Queen Cassidy (and some of those plotting against her). If you have never read Anne Bishop before, this is not the best place to start as it definitely assumes a familiarity with her world and the events of previous books. If you are interested in a dark magic / romance type story, definitely check out the original Black Jewels trilogy.

I am glad Anne Bishop wrote this sequel to The Shadow Queen,
Caroline
I'm such a massive sucker for Anne Bishop's Black Jewels series. She has yet to produce one that doesn't make me want to devour it all in one sitting, and it always takes a lot of effort for me to force myself to spend a few days enjoying the newness of the most recent addition to the series. This follow-up story about Cassidy's Court in Dena Nehele is no exception, and I was extra-intrigued with the addition of her old rival from her very first Court, Kermilla.

This isn't full of quite as much d
Jenni
Sep 03, 2009 Jenni marked it as to-read
Shut up!!! I can't wait until next year!! Early release! Early Release! EARLY RELEASE!!!
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Jun 14, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Bishop's Dark Jewels Books
If you haven't read another novel in Bishop's Dark Jewels universe, this wouldn't be where I'd start. Go read the opening trilogy in the series first, which starts with Daughter of the Blood, since this novel would act as a spoiler, and those are the strongest novels in the series. You'd also want to read The Shadow Queen before reading this novel, since Shalador's Lady is the sequel, and I think you'd be lost without reading it. (The Invisible Ring, which is set a few hundred years before, also ...more
Samantha
Well, Anne Bishop has done it again. Another delightful tale of the Blood that's completely engaging and hard to put down, seasoned generously with the heart and wit that make these books so charming. This tome follows the tale of Cassidy, who we met in 'The Shadow Queen,' as she contines to try and rule her demense. Alas, all is not well within her court, and even as she continues to improve the land, she is betrayed from within. Will she falter, or find the strength to overcome the opposition? ...more
Theresa
Over ten years ago Anne Bishop's first entry in the Black Jewels trilogy was released and many readers were captivated by her rich fantasy that cast Saetan, the High Lord of Hell, as a heroic character. But time has mellowed Bishop's characters and Shalador's Lady, the eighth book in Bishop's Black Jewels series, reads more like a Harlequin Romance than a dark fantasy.

The Black Jewels series is based on a unique mythology that uses familiar names from The Bible-- though they are given their own
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I love this series. This new book by Ms. Bishop was eagerly anticipated and delivered for me. I am moved because Ms. Bishop's writing voice is so clear. I feel as if I'm right there in the Realm with them. I felt so sad for Cassie. She's such an amazing person and yet she's discounted by a guy who is just an asshole. There is no other word for it. He's a disgrace. Theran is blinded by rank and power than intent. This is a problem for me. If everyone in the realm was still educated in the old way ...more
Kara-karina
Shalador's Lady continues with Lady Cassidy's story which is why I had to review both books together. It also ends it very nicely! Cassidy and her loyal Warriors move the court from Grayhaven to Shalador after Theron refuses to throw his guest out of the manor, and steadily the surrounding lands start to prosper. Soon the whole of Dena Nehele is looking up to Lady's Cassidy and wants to be under her rule while Theron's stupidity is slowly driving everyone away from him and out of his city.

Great
Ruman
Not that I didn't love The Shadow Queen or Shalador's Lady, but I feel like it really dragged on. These two novels revolve around Lady Cassidy, a 31 year old woman, who is frankly, not very attractive. The men of Dena Nehele, the territory where she rules, are disappointed just by looking at her face. And technically, Shalador's Lady is just about Lady Cassidy going against another Queen who took Cassidy's last court with her attractiveness - It's basically a showdown. It was a good read, but no ...more
mlady_rebecca
There are some books you grab the moment you see they are out, others sit on the shelf and stare at you awhile. Anne Bishop's books always sit and stare at me awhile. I'm not why, because I've loved every one I've read. Maybe it's because they're a bit deeper and you feel like you're diving in the deep end of the pool.

Loved this newest edition to the Black Jewels series. The main focus is on Cassidy, who is still trying to grow into being a queen, but there are plenty of visits with Jaenelle, Da
Juliana
Why do I keep reading these? In case you were wondering, the protagonist is still So Misunderstood and thinks Everyone Will Hate Her despite All Evidence to the Contrary (okay, many of us occasionally suffer from this one, so props for the relevant Mary Sue, Ann Bishop; you make me glad I don't have to try to prevent a war while dealing with these pesky self esteem issues). Gender essentialism is still rampant. Everyone is still bizarrely dense, in that they do not immediately recognize and put ...more
Heather
I absolutely love Shalador’s Lady. The characters are, as always in Anne Bishop books, terribly fun. She has created a world with built-in reasons for people to be high-tempered, dangerous, and larger than life, and she wields that milieu with style. I enjoy Cassidy as a character. For a brief time I felt a little frustrated with her inability to see past what happened with her last court to the loyal court she has now, but to be honest she has been sufficiently scarred by her past experiences t ...more
Gardavson
I love, love, love, this series. Absolutely awesome. I'm a sucker for every one of the characters. I am ready to pack up and leave for Kaeleer. (Provided I'm a Blood Queen, of course) But, poor Jeanelle, how terrible she would feel when Sadi left her for me. I don't think I could do that to her. Oh, who am I kidding, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Anyway, this is the continuation of Cassidy's story. A nice conclusion. I really liked it. I liked how things turned out. LOVE
Rosalind M
I enjoyed seeing the continuing development of the characters and relationships from the Black Jewels series. However, there is a lot of unnecessary repetition that could have been left out without harming the pace and flow of the book. Characters repeat exactly the same words to each other and restate what someone has already told them to someone else or to themselves. It would have been a more enjoyable read with a little more editing-out of the repetitive bits.
Sonia189
This book, as are all the author's books, is full of magic and beauty. Love to read books by her because they become such comfort reads, with so many scenes to be delighted with...I'm afraid of the last book in the jewels series, though...
Cait
Adam Smith
Dena Nehele is slowly starting to heal under the guidance of the Rose Queen, Cassidy, but for every step forward she takes, Theran Greyhaven seems determined to set her back. Cassidy isn't the queen he envisioned when he sort out Daemon Sadi, she doesn't sparkle, she isn't pretty. So when a new queen who is everything Theran envisioned arrives from Kaeleer, Cassidy's court is fractured and if they can't find a way to repair it, it just might mean the end of Dena Nehele.

A continuation of The Shad
Stephanie {Wishing Upon a Book}
Shalador’s Lady starts where The Shadow Queen ended and we get to see more of Cassie and her court. Which I loved of course! It was so much fun reading how good of a Queen Cassie really is and kind and generous as a person she is as well. I know I’ve said it before but Cassie is one of my favourite Queens in the Black Jewels World, not even Jaenelle can compare to her.

I loved the fact that we got to see a lot more of the males in Cassie’s court as well as their ineractions with her. One of the b
Alyssa Archambo
Shalador's Lady continues the story arc introduced with The Shadow Queen -- we pick up where we left off with Lady Cassidy, who is still trying to pull Dena Nehele together while trying to win the people's hearts and negotiate a reluctant First Escort.

The Black Jewels sequels are nowhere near the quality of the original trilogy, and I'm getting a bit tired of the recycled phrases and situations. We get it: a "too soft" voice and sleepy eyes means that the all-powerful Saadi family is angry. Quee
Ewelina
Ogólnie bardzo dobrze odbieram tą pozycję. Każda pozycja z serii „Czarne kamienie” wywoływała u mnie wiele uczuć. Przede wszystkim w każdej z nich znajduje się postać, której bardzo źle życzę bo po prostu mnie denerwuje ;) Tym samym bardzo emocjonalnie podchodzę do tego co się wydarzy, czytając coraz żarliwiej by dowiedzieć się, czy i w jaki sposób, sprawy zostaną rozwiązane.

Poruszonych zostało wiele różnorakich kwestii, które są warte uwagi. Pod „fantastyczną” otoczką wspaniałe było pokazanie w
Dorri
My review is simle, I loved this book. I recommend ANY Anne Bishop book to readers looking for something singularly unique, dark and fantastic. Ms. Bishop is a true creator of worlds. From the moment I first stepped into the pages Terreille and it's sister realms, Kaeleer and Hell, I found myself wrapped in soft dark, delicious, dangerous spidersilk. Encased, enamered and dying for more.

This book, the 8th in the Black Jewels series, is a solid tale of the Rose Queen, Cassie. A plain queen who a
Rachel
Rachel
Cayleigh
Shalador's Lady is the 8th book set in the Realm of the Black Jewels books. It is a continuation of The Shadow Queen book #7. We continue to follow Lady Cassidy as she tries to be the best Queen for the land of Dena Nehele. This book picks up only a few weeks after the events of The Shadow Queen, so if you haven't read that one, don't read this one until you do. (Although it would not be necessary to read the other 6 books in this series to under stand these two, in my opinion it would help bala ...more
Kristen
Hope there's more Black Jewels novels coming! I hadn't read the book right before this - the Shadow Queen, so I didn't have some of the background. But since I have read all the other Black Jewels novels I had the right background. This was a great installment. It brought back my beloved characters of Sadi, Janelle, The High Lord, Lucivar and of course the Scelties. I also really liked the new characters (which might not be new for those who read the Shadow Queen).

It was a good story. It was an
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 04, 2015 10:08AM
  • A Marca de Kushiel (Kushiel, #2)
  • Cast in Chaos (Chronicles of Elantra, #6)
  • Queen of Song and Souls (Tairen Soul, #4)
  • A Vingança do Assassino (A Saga do Assassino #4)
  • The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3)
  • Harshini (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child Trilogy, #3)
Anne Bishop lives in upstate New York where she enjoys gardening, music, and writing dark, romantic stories. She is the author of fourteen novels, including the award-winning Black Jewels Trilogy. Her most recent novel,Twilight’s Dawn, made the New York Times bestsellers list. She is currently working on a new series, which is an urban dark fantasy with a bit of a twist.

Crawford Award (2000)

Librar
More about Anne Bishop...

The Black Jewels (9 books)
  • Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels #1)
  • Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2)
  • Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3)
  • The Invisible Ring (The Black Jewels, #4)
  • Dreams Made Flesh (The Black Jewels, #5)
  • Tangled Webs (The Black Jewels, #6)
  • The Shadow Queen (The Black Jewels, #7)
  • Twilight's Dawn (The Black Jewels, #9)
Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels #1) Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3) Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2) Written in Red (The Others, #1) Murder of Crows (The Others, #2)