Start by marking “The Love Children” as Want to Read:
The Love Children

The Love Children

"The Love Children is valuable in its exploration and depiction of the many ways in which gender can still be a limitation, even within a supposedly more enlightened society."—Bust Magazine

It is the late 1960s in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The Grateful Dead is playing on the radio and teenagers are wearing long hair and blue jeans. Jess Leighton, the daughter of a temperame
Published September 1st 2009 by The Feminist Press at CUNY (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Love Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Children

Veronica
Jul 17, 2009 Veronica rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Marilyn French, acclaimed author of "The Women's Room" died on May 2, 2009 months before the release of her last novel, "The Love Children." In some ways it is poetic that this is her last novel. From what I have heard from women whose lives were touched by "The Women's Room," this last novel is a good capstone on French's legacy. The novel revolves around the life of Jess Leighton, a teen whose life epitomizes the changes brought about by the anti-war, feminist and civil rights movements of the ...more
Rachel
Oct 09, 2009 Rachel rated it it was ok
I was disappointed by this book. While I expected the story to be some what predictable and it was-teenage girl becoming aware of the world, going to college only to drop out and join a commune followed by motherhood and eventual marriage/career- it was also uneven. The last chapter took the main character from age 25 (in 1980 or so) to the present day. This meant that the fates of the characters we spent 300 pages getting to know were summed up in just a sentence or two: she wrote a book, he op ...more
Laurel-Rain
Aug 01, 2011 Laurel-Rain rated it really liked it
Coming of age during the 1960s in Cambridge, Massachusetts, our fictional narrator, Jess Leighton, tells her story in the first person and gives us a glimpse of what that experience was like--not only for her, but for a generation of similar young people--by revealing in great detail her thoughts, feelings, and actions.

With a feminist mother and an artist father, one might imagine that life would be perfect for Jess. But the bitter animosities between her parents color her childhood and teen yea
Adrienne Urbanski
Nov 13, 2009 Adrienne Urbanski rated it really liked it
(This review was also printed in the summer issue '09 of Bust Magazine.)

Marilyn French’s first novel, The Women’s Room, released during the women’s movement of the seventies, focused on a submissive housewife who divorces her husband to find her own life. The book quickly went on to become a feminist classic as it embodied many of the issues at the heart of the movement.
The Love Children picks up where The Women’s Room left off, exploring the lives of the daughters born to the women who achieved
Cmbrooks
Oct 12, 2010 Cmbrooks rated it liked it
booknut Hall
Oct 12, 2010 booknut Hall rated it it was amazing
did not finish and it was due back at the local library here in Lake Charles. I recall I did like it and would check out again, or even buy a used beat up copy to sell in a yard sale. Need to find this again. It was good, just not enough time to read it! As usual. Too many books, too little time.

March 2012
Brigitte
Feb 16, 2015 Brigitte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
En weer zo'n boek waar je geen afscheid van kunt nemen en, naarmate het einde van het boek nadert, steeds langzamer gaat lezen. Het levensverhaal van een jong meisje dat opgroeit in de V.S. in de roerige periode eind jaren '60-begin jaren '70 van love & peace, experimenteren met drugs, anti-oorlogsdemonstraties, communes en de opkomst van de vrouwenbeweging. Aanrader !
Andi
Jul 26, 2011 Andi added it
Shelves: review
This final novel is a thought-provoking invitation to re-evaluate the trials and tribulations of coming of age during the 1960's with forethought of present day social injustices. I would highly recommend this novel to anyone who can relate with philosophical investigations of human life.
Pat Bennett
Jan 06, 2015 Pat Bennett rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Women
Another wonderful novel by Marilyn French. The Women's Room will always be my favorite, but this one is really good. A true reminder of life in the 60's and 70's. Every woman should read French.
Eshaneh
Aug 20, 2011 Eshaneh rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, but I was not crazy about the ending. The book made me reflect on how far women's rights has come since my mother's generation. And actually, I'm not so sure we've come that far.
Sherry Porter
Jan 12, 2010 Sherry Porter rated it did not like it
I haven't read this book but I am curious... it is published by The Feminist Press.
Hella
Jul 12, 2016 Hella rated it liked it
Shelves: fictie
Wel met plezier gelezen, maar uiteindelijk toch niet geweldig. Veel te veel tell don't show en met zevenmijlslaarzen door de tijd.
Jill Nojack
Feb 02, 2015 Jill Nojack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As books by Marilyn French go, this is really just okay. I always enjoy her insights, but it doesn't have the same power as her other books. It's quieter, I think.
Courtney Young
Nov 25, 2012 Courtney Young rated it it was amazing
This book was so captivating, I didn't want it to end. Do yourself a favor and read it! :)
Monica
Feb 28, 2010 Monica rated it it was amazing
This book isn't perfect (felt like there was at least one major plot hole), but I loved it.
Sophiene
Apr 22, 2010 Sophiene rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I love Marilyn French and I kept reading in this one. It's maybe not her greatest, but her way of writing keeps pulling me in.
lucy by the sea
Feb 03, 2010 lucy by the sea rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel
reads like an actual memoir. so the plot is not so tidy and sometimes it's boring or bizarre, but that is like a real life right?
Deidre
Jan 04, 2013 Deidre rated it really liked it
pleasant story.
Alexa
Jan 29, 2010 Alexa rated it liked it
Seriously sappy at the end. Feminist, but sappy. A good note for Marilyn French to end on.
Jenifer
Dec 31, 2009 Jenifer rated it it was amazing
Feminist literature at its very best!
Julianna
Jun 25, 2015 Julianna rated it it was amazing
Characters that come to life pretty quickly in a voice that's delightful to read. The people fall between the ages of my and my mother's, so not quite the experience of the people I know.
lena
lena rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2009
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2009
Lianne
Lianne rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2011
Lydia
Lydia rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2010
Carey
Carey rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2009
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2009
Fay
Fay rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Supergirls Speak Out: Inside the Secret Crisis of Overachieving Girls
  • Dear Sisters: Dispatches from the Women's Liberation Movement
  • The Second Stage: With a New Introduction
  • It's a Jungle Out There: The Feminist Survival Guide to Politically Inhospitable Environments
  • Men and Feminism: Seal Studies
  • Murder in the Name of Honor: The True Story of One Woman's Heroic Fight Against an Unbelievable Crime
  • A Quiet Revolution: The Veil's Resurgence, from the Middle East to America
  • Het duister dat ons scheidt
  • Abortion & Life
  • Little Miss Strange: A Novel
  • One Big Happy Family: 18 Writers Talk About Polyamory, Open Adoption, Mixed Marriage, Househusbandry, Single Motherhood, and Other Realities of Truly Modern Love
  • Cool For Cats
  • De Voorspelling
  • A Strange Stirring: The Feminine Mystique & American Women at the Dawn of the 1960s
  • Mentre dorme il pescecane
  • Nietzsche & Kant lezen de krant
  • Cold Water
  • Daring Spectacle: Adventures in Deviant Journalism
She attended Hofstra University (then Hofstra College) where she also received a master's degree in English in 1964. She married Robert M. French Jr. in 1950; the couple divorced in 1967. She later attended Harvard University, earning a Ph.D in 1972. Years later she became an instructor at Hofstra University.

In her work, French asserted that women's oppression is an intrinsic part of the male-domi
More about Marilyn French...