Rita and Whatsit

Rita and Whatsit

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Rita is a little girl with a big personality.
Whatsit is a dog without a name.

Rita enjoys dressing up, running around, and being in charge. Whatsit enjoys chewing on things, sleeping, and cheating at checkers. Together, they are perfect friends.

In this, the first book of a new series, Rita is not pleased with any of her birthday presents...until one of them starts running a...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Chronicle Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rita and Whatsit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rita and Whatsit

Relyn
Feb 08, 2014 Relyn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted on my library's website
I do this thing. I find an illustrator I admire and check out every single book they have been a part of. This leads me to wonderful new authors and exciting discoveries. I don't know how I came across Olivier Tallac, but I have been reading books he illustrated. Mostly, I like his art, but not the types of books he illustrates.

What I am finding is that while I love the spare style of French films, this author's children's books are not quite my thing. The spareness that I love in films, I don'...more
babyhippoface
It's Rita's birthday, and despite the heaping mound of presents, she is in a foul mood and cannot be cheered. Until she spots a wrapped box jiggling across the floor, that is. Inside is a dog with no name, one Rita's not even sure she wants to keep. "I'm warning you," said Rita, "if you're another stuffed animal, you're going in the trash!" Illustrations all in charcoal pencil with spare touches of red and much white space keep the focus right where it needs to be: squarely on Rita and Whatsit a...more
Lauren
This books opens up a great opportunity for Writer's Workshop: what are some adventures that Rita and Whatsit go on? What animal would you get as a pet that could talk to you? What would you do together? What would you name it?

Sam Bloom
I liked some of the illustrations a lot, and there were a few funny moments, but overall this really seemed like one in the crowd of little-girl-with-a-big-attitude books out there right now.
Molly
Simple but cute illustrations about a girl in a bad mood on her birthday and a strange moving gift that needs a name. Very cute and nice flow to the story. Ages 2+
MissInformation
Bratty girl gets charmed by the gift of a puppy who resists her bossy style. Simple pencil drawings add lightness to the mood.
Beth
What a terrible little girl. Great illustrations but their is nothing to make me care about the story.
Natalie
Rita's a bit of a prat. Somebody should read her Bossy Bear.
Mandy
Terri
Terri added it
Jan 29, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2012
Laura added it
Aug 28, 2012
319621
Après des études à l'Ecole normale supérieure et une agrégation de lettres, il est aujourd'hui professeur de français dans un collège. Boulimique de lecture durant toute son enfance, il s'essaye assez tôt à l'écriture et publie son premier roman en 1984. Lorsqu'il écrit pour les adolescents, c'est avec le souci constant de leur offrir des livres qu'il aurait aimé lire lui-même à leur âge. Il se fi...more
More about Jean-Philippe Arrou-Vignod...
Christmas with Rita and Whatsit Rita and Whatsit at the Beach Enquête Au Collège Le Professeur A Disparu Omelette Au Sucre