Nelson Mandela: The Authorized Comic Book

Nelson Mandela: The Authorized Comic Book

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Freedom fighter, fugitive, president of his nation, hero of the world, Nelson Mandela was called a terrorist, forced into hiding, captured, threatened with death, and eventually thrown into jail. But nothing could stop him from fighting to liberate his country from Apartheid. All of this and much more is presented in vivid color by a team of South African artists...

Nelson...more
Published July 18th 2009 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published July 18th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Nelson Mandela, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nelson Mandela

Kelly
Kelly Garwood

Nelson Mandela Foundation & U. Wezithome [Illustrator.] (2009). Nelson Mandela: The authorized comic book. New York, NY: W. W. Norton & Company, Inc.

Genre: Biography

Award(s): VOYA starred

Format: graphic novel

Selection process: Davey, D. P. (2009, November 1). Review [Review of the graphic novel Nelson Mandela: The authorized comic book by Nelson Mandela Foundation with U. Wezithombe]. School Library Journal.

Maury, L. (2009, September 9). Luminous comic book reveals Mandela’s...more
Maureen Shea
Biography/ Graphic Novel
Nelson Mandela The Authorized Comic Book by Nelson Mandela Foundation (author) with Umlando Wezithhombe (illustrator)
Maureen Judith Shea
(2009) Nelson Mandela (p. 193). New York: W. W. Norton & Company Award 2010 Best Book for Older Readers in the Children’s Africana Book Awards from the Outreach Council of the African Studies Association (ASA).
Retrieved from: http://www.nelsonmandela.org/news/ent...
Format: print
Selection process: Initially reviewed graphic novel sec...more
LauraW
It was interesting for me to read this book, as some of the history I actually lived through, though, I must admit, I didn't always pay attention to it.

The thing that impresses me most about Mandela is his steadfast commitment to the idea of equality of all racial groups. There were compromises along that way that might have incrementally solved the apartheid problem, but the compromises were not accepted.

Since this is an "authorized" comic book, I wonder just a tad, whether some of the histor...more
Rachel
Wow is the first thing I can say about this graphic novel. This book is a very detailed biography of Nelson Mandela. It would've been a very hard story to tell without the graphic images to help, as it is so politically-based. Before reading this, I only knew that he had been in prison for a long time and won the Nobel Peace Prize. That is only a part of it. Nelson Mandela led an incredible life, and one that most people probably wouldn't survive, but he was strong and carried on no matter what...more
Pompom Sönnfors
The story of Nelson Mandela is a university in itself. The book gives a good insight into his life while serving additional details that most people (i.e. me) might not have known before. For example that the ANC was in many ways a violent terrorist group under Mandelas leadership, both before and after his years in prison.

It's a pity that the pictures are not very well drawn and that the chronology is a little inconsistent. The story line is straight on the whole, but smaller incidents that occ...more
Rachel
Excellent introduction to not only Nelson Mandela's life but some of the history of apartheid South Africa. I would recommend this book for anyone who doesn't have the time to read his full autobiography, but who wants to learn more about him. I think they should release more graphic novels like this to get kids introduced to history and famous political figures in a way that is more interesting that a longer book or novel.
Shannon
I really enjoyed learning more about Nelson Mandela, but I didn't actually like this comic book. The drawings were occasionally squashed and warped, as if they had been photoshopped into a layout they weren't intended for. The page layouts were confusing and distracting. It also felt like a lot of information was missing. This is not a good place to begin if you want to learn about Nelson Mandela or South Africa.
Krissy
This was an interesting format for reading about Nelson Mandela's life. I wasn't a fan of the narration (tour guide leading tourists around significant sites) but after awhile I became so engrossed by Nelson Mandela's life it didn't matter. I like that they ised a collective of artists for the artwork but sometimes adjacent panels were drawn in completely different styles, which was jarring.
Yalonda Neff
This over-sized graphic novel is a great medium to present the dense biographic of Nelson Mandela. This book would be great supplemental material for a lesson on apartheid, South African history, or Mandela. I would have this book available in the classroom library or assign it for small groups. Due to the length and level of concepts I would use this book for middle school and high school students. This medium is great for the classroom because it presents the dense life of Mandela through a co...more
Alicia
The beautifully illustrated story of Nelson Mandela's life is accessible and easy. The text could be a bit larger for the speech and narration bubbles, but otherwise, the graphics and text are well-balanced, making it enjoyable. There is quite a bit of reference to different political parties, unrest, movements, and events and people and places that is sometimes hard to muddle through and there isn't much to define these, though it's not as necessary as understanding the struggles Mandela suffer...more
Eric
Mar 20, 2010 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every one
So I just finished reading Nelson Mandela: The Authorized Comic Book.
O.K. simmer down. Yea, I know it’s a “comic book”, and for the record, I also read Nelson Mandela’s autobiography “Long Walk to Freedom” when it was published years ago. But strangely enough, I liked the “comic” book better.

The autobiography seemed forced and quickly written to take advantage of Nelson Mandela being then recently freed from prison. The “comic book” reads evenly as a narrative and the art is equally impressive.
Mark
A pretty good primer for learning about Nelson Mandela's life. The storytelling is a little stiff at first but gets better as it goes along.
Beth
This comic book format biopgraphy seems a little propaganda like to me, with it's official endorsement and preface containing a speech Mandela delivered to launch the comic books series in 2005.

I read the first chapter, about 2 dozen pages. The artwork is nothing
extraordinary, and the tone is a bit didactic.
Johnny Wadsworth
what I didnt like about the book was that he was put in to the prison so many times, for sticking up to the rights of black people to have there right and to stick up in what they beleave, then he became the president of africa. Thats what I thought of the book.
Simen Karset
Interesting and inspiring.
Thomas Andrikus
Nelson Mandela, being one of the best politician of all time, comes to life in this graphic novel. A great introduction to Mandela's life, this book...
Barb
Graphic novels can b like cliff notes. I admire Mandelas persistence and standing by his principles no matter what.
Peacegal
This colorful graphic bio is a fine introduction to the life of Nelson Mandela.
Sidik Fofana
SIX WORD REVIEW: A long life of freedom marching.
Jim
thirty pages in, v. good
Francisco Javier
Francisco Javier is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2014
Gary Gardiner
Gary Gardiner marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Keyóna
Keyóna marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Sonum Dixit
Sonum Dixit marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Evelyn Cook
Evelyn Cook marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Sarah Kate Botkin
Sarah Kate Botkin marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
A Prisoner in the Garden: Photos, Letters, and Notes Hunger for Freedom: The Story of Food in the Life of Nelson Mandela