Start by marking “Keena Ford and the Second-Grade Mix-Up” as Want to Read:
Keena Ford and the Second-Grade Mix-Up

Keena Ford and the Second-Grade Mix-Up (Keena Ford)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  199 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Keena Ford doesn't mean to be a troublemaker, but sometimes things get out of hand. Lucky for her, it's the beginning of the second grade and Keena's got a clean slate. So when her new second-grade teacher, Ms. Campbell, mistakenly thinks it's her birthday and brings in a huge chocolate cake, Keena realizes that she's gotten herself into a sticky situation. She knows she h ...more
Published July 9th 2009 by Puffin Books (first published July 3rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Keena Ford and the Second-Grade Mix-Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keena Ford and the Second-Grade Mix-Up

Bree' E.
Sep 11, 2012 Bree' E. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keena Ford , she is a African American girl , she is going into the second grade ! Keena is very nervous to go to second grade and get out of second grade habits . She also is concerned about how she wont have any friends or that friends , teachers , and staff at the school will not enjoy her presents .. She is really hoping she will have a more than great year !

Keena Ford and I have many things in common. A couple of things are that we were both scared to start school because of various reasons
Lisa the Librarian
Nov 23, 2009 Lisa the Librarian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Junie B. Jones fans
This was a really cute book. I am seeing a trend in children's books with the main character being a spunky, maybe bordering on bratty girl. Keena is one of these as well.

She is not as charming or enduring as Ramona Quimby, but is much less over the top and more believeable than Junie B. Jones.

I liked this book in the fact that Keena's mix-up over her birthdate could actually happen to a child. (Although it makes much less sense that a teacher would depend on second grade students to give her t
Debra
Jan 05, 2012 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love Keena Ford! What a great little character, smart and full of heart! I think my second graders will love her too! Keena tells her story through her journal. She is very relatable and reminds me of many of my students! I wish there were more books like this at this reading level!
Lisa
Oct 09, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wanted a new book to read to my 2nd graders, and this book was perfect! I have now purchased the rest of the Keena Ford books, and I can't wait to read them with my class.

Keena Ford is a believable character that my students immediately fell in love wtih.
Danie P.
Apr 30, 2010 Danie P. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute Cute Cute. Keena starts the second grade and she finds out she'll be split up from her best friend! They're having all girls and all boys classes this year. She finds herself in more trouble then usual this year.
Illeyana
Mar 11, 2015 Illeyana rated it really liked it
This was a great book. It had many lessons to offer and it was easy to get into. I would highly recommend this book and its series.
Nov 18, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than Junie B., shorter than Ramona.
Shannon
it was asome its OK
Taneka
Dec 26, 2012 Taneka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
Keena Ford lives in Washington D. C. and always seems to get into trouble. She doesn’t mean to do so, but she does. Keena is going to the Second Grade and she is sad because her best friend, Eric, will not be in a class with her. She likes her new teacher Ms. Campbell, who allows them to write their own rules and gives them cake for their birthday. Ms. Campbell thinks that it is Keena’s birthday because Keena mistakenly wrote it as 9/2 instead of 2/9. Will Keena tell the truth or will the chocol ...more
Heidi
Feb 21, 2010 Heidi rated it it was ok
Grades K-2
Keena Ford accidentally writes her birthday as 9/2 instead of 2/9 on the paper birthday cake for her birthday cake, and when her new second grade teacher announces it is Keena's birthday the next day and there will be chocolate cake, Keena does not correct her error. Keena Ford is like Junie B. Jones in that she spends a lot of time in the office for misbehaving, but what is missing and what made Junie B. Jones so popular is humor and an unmistakable voice. At times, this book can be a
Mary Beth
Nov 26, 2014 Mary Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keena Ford , she is a African American girl, she is going into the second grade ! Keena gets herself in all of these challenges that can make any kid laugh. The story teaches children about the importance in honesty, bragging, and friendship with forgiveness. The story is written as a journal,Which gives children the opportunity to see a different form of a story. I think children will really enjoy her obstacles and silliness.

Level M
Sherrie
Keena Ford and the Second Grade Mix Up is fun read with wonderful illustrations. Although, Keena works hard to stay out of trouble she isn't always successful. This book is perfect for those readers who have just started reading chapter books. The short chapters and the books short length along with its humorous moments will make it a big hit with young readers. 4 stars!
Salsabrarian
"Irrepressible" is an excellent word to describe Keena Ford. She lives life jubilantly and bounces back from her mix-ups, wiser and more philosophical for the experience. A funny, sunny read, although it's hard to believe any second grader could be this articulate in a personal journal. More to come from Keena Ford...
Maria Bulfamante
Jan 19, 2015 Maria Bulfamante rated it really liked it
This is a great book to teach children not to lie and to always tell the truth! Keena got herself into a sticky situation because the teacher brought In a cake for her birthday, but it wasn't even her birthday!
Georgette Quinn
Jan 04, 2015 Georgette Quinn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Melissa for writing these books. Please write more. My daughter needs more books with characters that look like her. We love these books. We love Keena. She is spunky but real. We love her crazy adventures.
Evette Alexander
My daughter is in second grade and read this book for her bookclub. It was a fun and quick read for her. She is looking forward to discussing the book with her bookclub friends.
Amy Brown
Keena Ford sometimes gets in trouble in school (even though she doesn't mean to) and her first week of second grade is no exception. It starts when she writes down her birthday for her teacher but instead of writing 2/9, she does it backwards 9/2 and the teacher thinks it's her birthday the next day. Keena wants to correct her but then she hears about the chocolate cake and she doesn't say anything. Once she stays quiet, she doesn't know how to fix her mistake. This is just one story in a fun, b ...more
Andrea Schreiber
Apr 17, 2015 Andrea Schreiber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
I love, love, love Keena! Found her when searching for books with diversity for booktalks. #weneeddiversebooks
∞Bertha
Nov 24, 2014 ∞Bertha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this with my 7 year old daughter, it is funny and so sweet. Great read for 2nd graders!
Lindsay
Dec 20, 2007 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got to read this book ahead of time because I know the author - some say she is like a sister to me. Our mom is one such person. Nonetheless, this book is wonderful for both first-time or long-time readers. It is a sweet, yet hilarious story with truly likable characters. The wit is appealing to all ages and will leave all readers smiling. (Plus, the chapters are only a few pages long - my kind of book.)

Check out Keena Ford!

You can also pre-order on Amazon.com, but if you think you can be the
Jnase1
Apr 22, 2014 Jnase1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute and easy read with some great lessons! K-2 readers will enjoy it.
Lindsay Beckman
I'll have a decaf with skim milk, hold the coffee.

I LOVE Keena.
Tasslyn Magnusson
such a strong voice for keena
Natzyacosta
Mar 25, 2015 Natzyacosta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Its very intresting
♡ Carla
Nov 18, 2014 ♡ Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story!
Jackie
Keena Ford and the Second-Grade Mix-Up is a charming story about the trials and tribulations of entering second grade. Keena seems to get herself mixed up in tall tales, half truths, and bumbling errors. She is sure her best friend, new friend, parents, and teachers will all hate her for her errors of omission and stumbling blocks. But what she finds is that the people who love her, love her in spite of her mishaps and mistakes. Second Grade is going to be the best year ever!
Ann Marie
Jul 24, 2015 Ann Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
adorable
Johnny
Keena Ford is pretty darn sweet, and my daughter and I just love her (my daughter especially loves that Keena's hair looks like hers). In this volume, she has a rough start to second grade, but she learns a lot of terrific lessons along the way. The narration speaks directly to the age of the target audience, and I'm excited for my daughter to reread these books once she starts school herself.
  • Being Teddy Roosevelt
  • All Mixed Up! (Amy Hodgepodge, #1)
  • Zapato Power: Freddy Ramos Takes Off
  • Brand New School, Brave New Ruby
  • Lulu and the Dog from the Sea (Lulu #2)
  • Nikki and Deja
  • Precious and the Boo Hag
  • Anna Hibiscus (Anna Hibiscus, #1)
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!
  • Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)
  • Make Way for Dyamonde Daniel
  • Help Me, Mr. Mutt!: Expert Answers for Dogs with People Problems
  • Maybelle in the Soup
  • Leroy Ninker Saddles Up (Tales from Deckawoo Drive, #1)
  • The One and Only Stuey Lewis: Stories from the Second Grade
  • Stella Batts Needs a New Name
  • Edgar Allan's Official Crime Investigation Notebook
  • Two Bobbies: A True Story of Hurricane Katrina, Friendship, and Survival
Hello! I am a fifth-grade teacher and the author of the KEENA FORD series of early chapter books. KEENA FORD AND THE FIELD TRIP MIX-UP and KEENA FORD AND THE SECOND GRADE MIX-UP are available in paperback, and KEENA FORD AND THE SECRET JOURNAL MIX-UP was released in hardcover in September.
More about Melissa Thomson...

Keena Ford (3 books)