Start by marking “Illegal People: How Globalization Creates Migration and Criminalizes Immigrants” as Want to Read:
Illegal People: How Globalization Creates Migration and Criminalizes Immigrants

Illegal People: How Globalization Creates Migration and Criminalizes Immigrants

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  13 reviews
For two decades David Bacon has documented the connections between labor, migration, and the global economy. In Illegal People he explains why our national policy produces even more displacement, migration, immigration raids, and an increasingly divided and polarized society. Arguing for a sea change in how we think, debate, and legislate about and around immigration, Baco ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Beacon Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Illegal People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Illegal People

I absolutely love the last line of this book: "The borders between countries should be common ground where they can come together, not lines to pull them apart." Beautiful. It captures the idea of a sense of globalization based in true human community rather than exploitation.

This is an excellent investigation into how globalization, migration, and labor all tangle together and affect policy decisions on the local, national, and international levels. There's so much in this book that I don't kn
Bacon's new book does a good job of exploring the ways in which neoliberalism has affected the individual lives of immigrant workers and assessing case studies of local struggles against exploitative employers and immigration authorities. He's also especially good in explaining why attempts at instituting "comprehensive" immigration reform, particularly those that include employer sanctions and guest worker programs, are inherently exploitative and should be strenuously opposed by anyone who car ...more
This book is almost completely US/Mexico-centric. David Bacon is a photojournalist, and I think he should stick with the photos. I dragged myself through parts of every chapter. I was determined to finish, but my effort almost outweighed the benefit. Pros: my information and awareness of day laborers is more complete. I appreciated that he didn't try to hide his purpose and bias.

I've come up with some good questions (I think?) after reading this, but it's going to be a fight to find answer disc
Overall, this is a great book with an important story to tell, one that goes largely unreported in the mainstream media. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Bacon's work as a journalist. However, the book would have worked better as a collection of essays as the structure was a bit disjointed.
My Bookshelf
I gave this to Neela for her birthday in 2008, but truth be told, it was a bit of a chipmunk gift as I wanted to read it as well. Anyway, I started reading it during the tail end of my time in LA and finished it up in New York. Interesting book, but poorly organized.
Really ugly to read. Poor trajectory in the argument structure, but anecdotes and case studies are satisfying. A few really intense points made on the latent power of immigrant workers in the US and the nation state's concept of "illegal."
While a much needed wake up call concerning immigration in America, David Bacon’s very pro-immigrant Illegal People reads much more like a compilation of articles on the subject rather than a coherent book on the subject.
Written by a former Union Organizer, this progressive view of the miseries and unfair treatment of undocumented migrants gives needed insight into the need for immigration reform.
Social and political view of immigration and migration issues. Repeats itself a lot. But a good book to use to study the issues.
David Bacon stakes out his turf right away; he has been an immigrant rights activist and a trade union organizer.
magnificent. beautiful. everyone should read this.
Theadora Davitt-Cornyn
From Beacon Press ~ need I say more...? ;-D
Jessica Honiker
Amazing. Informative book.
James is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2015
Mariah marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Blessing Ananti
Blessing Ananti marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Nadine marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015

marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
David is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2015
Katie Furrow
Katie Furrow marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Jabra Ghneim
Jabra Ghneim marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Betsy marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Tina Denson
Tina Denson marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Olga marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
David Kuntschik
David Kuntschik marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Catherine Sandoval
Catherine Sandoval marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • No One Is Illegal: Fighting Racism and State Violence on the U.S.-Mexico Border
  • They Take Our Jobs!: And 20 Other Myths about Immigration
  • Impossible Subjects: Illegal Aliens and the Making of Modern America
  • Forever Free: The Story of Emancipation and Reconstruction
  • How Institutions Think
  • The Syrian Rebellion
  • The Violence of the Green Revolution: Third World Agriculture, Ecology and Politics
  • The Fall of the House of Labor: The Workplace, the State, and American Labor Activism, 1865-1925
  • The Accidental American: Immigration and Citizenship in the Age of Globalization
  • Driven Out: The Forgotten War Against Chinese Americans
  • Critical Race Theory: The Key Writings That Formed the Movement
  • Eyes on the Prize: America's Civil Rights Years, 1954-1965
  • Neoliberalism as Exception: Mutations in Citizenship and Sovereignty
  • Sex at the Margins: Migration, Labour Markets and the Rescue Industry
  • Critical Race Theory: An Introduction
  • Nobodies: Modern American Slave Labor and the Dark Side of the New Global Economy
  • The People Speak: American Voices, Some Famous, Some Little Known: Dramatic Readings Celebrating the Enduring Spirit of Dissent
  • Intern Nation: How to Earn Nothing and Learn Little in the Brave New Economy
David Bacon is a writer and photojournalist based in Oakland and Berkeley, California. He is an associate editor at Pacific News Service, and writes for TruthOut, The Nation, The American Prospect, The Progressive, and the San Francisco Chronicle, among other publications. He has been a reporter and documentary photographer for 18 years, shooting for many national publications. He has exhibited hi ...more
More about David Bacon...