Start by marking “The Privilege of Being a Woman” as Want to Read:
The Privilege of Being a Woman

The Privilege of Being a Woman

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The Privilege of Being a Woman Alice von Hildebrand Women historically have been denigrated as lower than men or viewed as privileged. Dr. Alice von Hildebrand characterizes the difference between such views as based on whether man's vision is secularistic or steeped in the supernatural. She shows that feminism's attempts to gain equality with men by imitation of men is un ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Veritas Press, Inc. (first published March 21st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Privilege of Being a Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Privilege of Being a Woman

Alexis
Take care before reading this, any of my liberal friends/relatives - it is very conservative - just remember I am a strong woman and feel equal in our society, because of what I bring to it. I am not trying to say that their isn't injustice or discrimination in the world, just that we should be careful how we 'generalize" anything...

This book was given to me by my CBS teacher, they are considering it for a school-wide read at her all-girl Catholic school.

I was very intrigued by the book and read
Robert
A short book, a sad book, the sort of book one would give to a pubescent daughter in the forlorn hope that she would remain pure and saintly - this is the author's attempt to defend the Catholic church against the accusation that it is sexist, is condescending to women, patriarchal, that it devalues women. Von Hildebrand is a traditional Catholic, a very conservative one, almost reactionary -is still not reconciled with the changes of Vatican II - regrets that women are no longer required to cov ...more
Michele
Every women - Catholic or otherwise - needs to read this book!
Cris
It is a good book for popular consumption that will convey the general culture of the femenine in Catholicism in the aftermath of The New Femenists (Orthodox Catholic Theologians who reaffirm the basic tenets of femeninity while embracing society's new appreciation of womanhood). It is a good inspirational and summary book that is quick and easy to read. It is not however a work of deep theological insight or advancement. There is very little looking at the scriptures and almost no historical co ...more
Lacey Louwagie
I feel really troubled that this book has received so much high praise (and average of 4.3 on Goodreads? Seriously?), and it confirms to me that the only people who pick this up are the ones who are already eager to swallow anything that gets the Vatican's approval, no matter how inane it is.

It is indeed a privilege to be a woman, but I wish that Alice von Hildebrand could have made that point without saying so many utterly stupid things. She essentially makes an argument that is in line with c
Emily
Jun 03, 2008 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone, Catholics, Christians, Men, Women
Recommended to Emily by: Aidzior
I am only half way through this remarkable book but I know I will finish it soon. At first I felt very much like screaming until I realized that perhaps I have been a bit indoctrinated by "Liberal Feminists" and that my own feminist philosophy ought to be updated. The thing that I dislike about this book is her generalization that all women cry or that all women are "dainty" however, I do feel that structurally and biologically I can see why and how she is able to make these bold claims. I think ...more
Angela9600
Indeed, it is a priviledge to be a woman! The only reason this took so long to read is that I only read the book during part of Adoration once a week (books in the Adoration space are not to be removed). Many of the pages included great food for thought. It reminded me of a fruitful Lasallian class minus the inter-person dialogue. Father Cook actually recommended this book in his October Pro-life Mini-Series homily on Modesty (smiles- Kim & Lill would know why that amuses me)...and I was abo ...more
Melissa Siik
Amazing little book! If your major issue with contemporary feminism is that there is nothing particularly "feminine" about it (that is, if you've recognized that most feminists adopt a masculinized view of gender differences), then you will love this book. Hildebrand, with a philosopher's eye, exalts and analyzes the unique benefits of being a woman -- of being essentially different than men.
Sarah O'connor
A great book that every woman should read...and tell her husband/boyfriend about. It might seem counter to what "pop culture" tells us is good about being a woman but it definitely rings true with what your heart feels about being a woman.
Colleen
I really enjoyed this book we are reading for our book club. The writing is clear and easy to understand, but the meaning is deep. I really needed to read this book at this time in my life. It's easy to feel unappreciated as a mother and teacher!
Brandi
If you are an adult able to read (obviously in English) then you should read this book. It is for you. It is for your spouse. It is for your priest, your siblings, your parents, your friends. Bottom line: Take a chance and read this book.
Withinthegarden
A supurb study and reflection on woman as a unique, mysterious creation of God and the blessings of traditional femininity. I highly recommend this to anyone who may need insights into the errors of modern, radical feminism.
Kori
I'm reading it again. Especially in our culture today I need a regular reminder that it is okay to be a woman. I don't have to apologize for my emotions, inclinations, thought processes etc. This is how woman was made.
Janet
A few good points and quotations, but overall the book is written like a defense. And, until the 2nd chapter, you're not sure who the book is defending itself against. It's a quick read.
Dominik
I read it in one sitting, it's that good. An amazing work. Though short, it's incredibly rich -- and the references cited provides a whole wealth of further reading to explore.
Clare Cannon
Very good, but perhaps a little old fashioned or 'fundamentalist' in her view of womanhood, I couldn't agree with absolutely everything but many of her ideas were very good.
Maria
Aug 16, 2007 Maria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christians/Catholics regardless of gender
Short and to the point. Good read for both males and females. I liked the insights into what "weakness" is. I am really bad at writing reviews.
Alicia
This is a wonderful little book filled with the argument against modern feminism and tells of the beauty of true womanhood.
Kim Luisi
Will have to re-read it to refresh my memory
Theresa Thomas
Excellent, excellent little book. :)
Nykole Lee
Book that every woman should read!
Carollozano
Must read for all women
Denise M
Enjoyed reading a book that was so edifying about women in a non-secular way. It shows the dignity that we are created with.
Katie Herring
This was an interesting read.

There were a few sections were I nodded my head and agreed with the author, but there were other times where I rolled my eyes.

This gave me a new perspective on 'feminism,' and to be honest, I kind of like what she said about it. I think a true feminism doesn't say she is one.

Take this read as you will, it is definitely conservative, but man, I do feel like it is a privilege to be a woman.
Julie Klose
This protestant is now a fan of Van Hildebrand! I loved everything she stands for and will be reading more of her books. She defends her reasons for why she hates feminism yet defends the beauty of women. If you are a firm supporter of feminism then this book is not for you.
Valérie
Valérie marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Dylan
Dylan marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
  • Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body
  • Three to Get Married
  • True Devotion to Mary
  • The Four Cardinal Virtues
  • I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Transformation in Christ
  • The Courage To Be Catholic: Crisis, Reform And The Future Of The Church
  • Called to Communion: Understanding the Church Today
  • Abandonment to Divine Providence
  • Life-Giving Love: Embracing God's Beautiful Design for Marriage
  • Theology of the Body for Beginners: A Basic Introduction to Pope John Paul II's Sexual Revolution
  • Theology for Beginners
  • Journal of a Soul
  • The Great Heresies
  • The Spiritual Combat and a Treatise on Peace of Soul
  • Introduction to the Devout Life
  • Christianity for Modern Pagans: Pascal's Pensées - Edited, Outlined & Explained
  • By What Authority? An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition
By Love Refined The Soul of a Lion: Dietrich Von Hildebrand, a Biography Man and Woman Dietrich von Hildebrand and Edith Stein: Husserl's Students By Grief Refined: Letters To A Widow

“Unwittingly, the feminists acknowledge the superiority of the male sex by wishing to become like men.” 5 likes
“One thing is certain: When the time has come, nothing which is man made will subsist. One day, all human accomplishments will be reduced to a pile of ashes. But every single child to whom a woman has given birth will live forever, for he has been given an immortal soul made to God's image and likeness. In this light, the assertion of de Beauvoir that 'women produce nothing' becomes particularly ludicrous.” 5 likes