Start by marking “Fancy Nancy: Pajama Day” as Want to Read:
Fancy Nancy: Pajama Day

Fancy Nancy: Pajama Day (Fancy Nancy)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  935 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Nancy is all set to wear something special for Pajama Day at school. But when Bree and Clara show up in matching outfits, Nancy feels left out. Will this Pajama Day be as fun as she thought?
Published June 23rd 2009 by HarperCollins

Connie
I read the original Fancy Nancy book to my nieces, and, at the time, thought that the effect of Nancy stopping every other word to explain that "That's a fancy word for so-and-so" was a little annoying. Having now read several of the early readers, I can honestly say that it is MUCH less annoying when you're not the one reading the book aloud!

My niece (who is six and entering the first grade in a week!) found this book easy enough to read with only a little help from me. Help largely consisted o
Tory Wagner
All the Fancy Nancy books are a delight and this one is no exception. We have a female family book club and have added my granddaughter, age 6, as a new member. This was her book selection and she ran the book discussion handily. The story lends itself to interesting questions and comments and is interesting enough that even adults will enjoy it. The illustrations are wonderful also!
Katharine Ott
"Fancy Nancy: Pajama Day" - written by Jane O'Connor and published in 2009 by HarperCollins. After shelving hundreds of Fancy Nancy books at our library, I have finally read one, as this is the book choice of our youngest book club member. I can see the attraction, both in the story line and the illustrations. The original artist, Robin Preiss Glasser, created the cute, flirty, curly, ribbony scenes that are associated with Fancy Nancy. This book briefly presents a mild case of peer acceptance w ...more
J.D. Holman
Many schools have a pajama day, so this offers, like so many other Fancy Nancy books, some great realism that kids can relate to (or can expect to happen, if they're little).
Bookswithbrooke
Watch my review here! http://youtu.be/EqABh4n-z-8

Hi everyone! I have to confess that I LOVE the Fancy Nancy book series. I own almost the whole series. This series helped me become a better reader and makes learning vocabulary a lot of fun. The illustrations in this book are some of the best I have ever seen and think you will like reading this book even if it is below your level. I recommend this book for anyone ages 3-7. This is also a great book for advanced readers to read aloud to a younger
Gabrielle Carolina
2.5

I'm sad that Nancy's pajama day didn't work out well, and ultimately I feel it was a bit unrealistic that everything ends up so well. Sometimes the best thing we can teach our children is that being "fancy" is better than fitting in, because other, less emotionally-inclined kiddos, aren't going to catch on to how Nancy is feeling. It just hasn't been my experience, being a Nancy, who would prefer a lacy nightgown, myself.
Karen Beth
Great. Easy read and teaches a cute lesson about emotions and friendship

Very cute story about friendship. Strong New words to learn. Sweet and short for a quick bedtime story. Always enjoy fancy Nancy books
Abbie
Morgan
This is such an adorable book! It is about Nancy and her friends who get to have a pajama day at school. Two of her friends where the same pajamas that Nancy has at home but she wanted to wear her new pajamas. She felt left out all day because they were matching and she was different. At the end of the day she went home and changed into the same pajamas as them and they all had a play date. What I loved about this book and all the other Fancy Nancy books, is the hard words they use. This helps b ...more
Child960801
Pajama day at school. Nancy chooses to wear a night gown instead of her pajamas that match Bree. But someone else at school has the same ones as Bree. Nancy feels left out.
Wendy
I enjoy the vocabulary in Fancy Nancy's books! Nancy, of course, does not leave the reader lost, she tells them what the words mean as well. She seems to have a battle with being very fancy, yet fitting in. Thankfully her friends realize this, and make sure she is included in the end:)
Kyra Hahn
For pajama day at school, Fancy Nancy decides to be unique and wear a new gown, while her friends wear pjs.
Rita M
#&4 year-old grand-daughters loved it. We did have a pajama day at grandmas.
Rebecca Dimagiba
i use a book like that it is great
Dayana
It awesome sooooooooo
Bonnie
Sage, Sage, Sage
Mandy J. Hoffman
I like Fancy Nancy because it's such a cute way to introduce the meanings of bigger words (fancy words!) to young children. However, Fancy Nancy is also quite self centered. In this story she is selfish and wears unique pajamas to pajama day at school only to then be jelous of Bree and Clara who do match. In the end they play together and she goes home to change so they can be triplets. Cute pictures and slightly funny story, but one to use as a lesson with kids as well as read for fun.
Jessica
Fancy Nancy is just so perfect. We love her personality, her vivacity, vocabulary, and even her drama.
Dolly
Jan 17, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Our girls just loooove pajama day at school. They get so excited to wear their bedclothes and watch movies and play games. And they really love the Fancy Nancy series of books, too. They adore the fancy illustrations and I like that the stories help build their vocabulary, but in a fun way. I also like how the books discuss common issues for children, like jealousy, making friends, honesty, etc.

Katherine Corson
Fancy Nancy uses what our classroom calls sparkle words! This means that the writer Jane O'Connor uses words that are interesting instead of boring words. So our classroom read the Fancy Nancy Books to see how we could try to use sparkle words in our own writing. We made a Fancy Nancy Word wall with sparkle words that we would want to use in our writing. The outcome was amazing and my kids are trying on using sparkle words in their own writing.
Melissa Sommer
It is pajama day at Nancy's school. She is set with her pajama's on and gets to school and discovers that her friends are wearing matching outfits. Nancy feels left out now. I really like this book for beginning readers because it teaches them that it is okay to be different. It teaches you that every problem can be easily solved and you shouldn't let silly things get you down.
Gary Masskin
Very much in tune with how children in this age group may actually behave. Rings true.
Kelsey
It’s pajama day at school and Nancy is very excited to wear her special pajamas. When she shows up at school, she notices that her friends Clara and Bree are wearing matching pajamas and Nancy feels left out. Things do get better at the end. This is a good book for young reader to read and to learn about friendship.
Margaret
Gotta love matching heart panamas. This book has a couple elements on top of the typical fabulous Fancy Nancy glossary including choices, independence, uniqueness, friendship, uncertainty, slight jealousy, problem solving, friendship and fun all wrapped up in one. Also included in the Fancy Nancy Storybook Treasury.
Whitney Bailey
Nancy is wearing pajamas for PJ day at school. When she gets to school, she realizes that her two friends are wearing matching PJ's and she fells left out.

This book is a good read to introduce to students the genre of "fiction", where real people and real characters could be portrayed in real life.
Miri
I like that this addresses so early, but in a fairly light way, the problems girls have with cliques and excluding people. It would be a good way to teach girls about including others and reaching out to make sure that others aren't being unintentionally left out.
This book is a great story about friendship. This would be a good book to read before "spirit week" and "pajama day." It teaches a good lesson about some of your decisions come with consquences and you should think about them before make your decision.
Nancy Jo Lambert
So recently, my daughter has become extremely interested in Fancy Nancy. So, we have been reading some of the Fancy Nancy series. This series is lots of fun and all the heart warming moments are a nice touch to the rather flouncy, fancy moments.
Shelli
This I Can Read Fancy Nancy series is perfect for young students to practice their reading skills and boost their confidence by practicing many sight and easy to sound out words, while enjoying a fun story.
Amy Wadsworth
What can I say? I like Fancy Nancy. She is such a girly-girl, but her experiences teach her that not everyone has to be fancy. The illustrations are adorable! And, of course the vocabulary words are "eloquent".
  • Pinkalicious: Pinkie Promise
  • Biscuit and the Baby
  • What Is a Princess? (Disney Princess)
  • Going to the Sea Park
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • Splat the Cat Takes the Cake
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Golden Rule
  • Show Me Your Smile! A Visit to the Dentist (Dora the Explorer)
  • D.W. Flips!
  • Tea for Ruby
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website
More about Jane O'Connor...

Fancy Nancy (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Fancy Nancy
  • Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy
  • Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly
  • Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!
  • Fancy Nancy: Tea Parties (Fancy Nancy)
  • Fancy Nancy Halloween... or Bust!
  • Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas
  • Fancy Nancy Heart to Heart
  • Fancy Nancy's Elegant Easter
Fancy Nancy Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth