Start by marking “Cancer: 50 Essential Things to Do” as Want to Read:
Cancer: 50 Essential Things to Do

Cancer: 50 Essential Things to Do

Take charge of your diagnosis and choose hope over fear

In 1984, Greg Anderson was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer. He was given only thirty days to live. Refusing to give up, he set out to find what he could learn from others who had been diagnosed as “terminal” and lived. Based on decades of research and the experiences of more than 16,000 survivors, Cancer: 50 Ess
Paperback, Third Edition, 224 pages
Published February 24th 2009 by Plume (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Cancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cancer

Aja
Aug 05, 2010 Aja rated it liked it
I really thought that this would be a little more task based prep work for getting you prepared for your treatment life. But this book focused almost totally on the physchological prep and maintenance. It had some good information if you are looking to get spiritually and mentally centered post-diagnoses, but a little more new-aging then I was looking for.

Another issue I had was that the author seems to be almost completely against chemo. I was able to follow his argument, but just didn't necess
Yvensong
Mar 08, 2013 Yvensong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New Cancer Patients
Shelves: non-fiction
This simple-to-read book takes a holistic look of what to do, eat, etc. when you are diagnosed with cancer.
Sandy
Apr 29, 2013 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this for a friend recently diagnosed with cancer, and I read it before giving it to her. To me, this book is not only for people with cancer or another life-threatening illness. It's well worth reading by anyone wanting to live a a full and healthy life. Each chapter is only a page or two, so it reads fast. The author recommends you use a journal while reading it, and he gives journalling tasks throughout.

Anyone can benefit from his advice on seeking a second opinion about a diagnosis (st
Amy
Apr 14, 2008 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Beware of this book! It did offer helpful, do-able tips, but on the whole I thought the information presented was probably much more harmful than helpful. The author is highly critical of the medical field, and traditional medical approaches (i.e. chemotherapy, radiation, etc), and instead offers information about complimentary treatments (nutrition, the power of positive thinking, etc) as one of the main ways to help treat cancer. The title of this book totally threw me, as I thought I would ge ...more
Grace Dadoyan
Jun 09, 2012 Grace Dadoyan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer and told he had 30 days to live. He is still alive 24 years later. He talked with thousands of people who survived all different types of cancer and compiled this guide of 50 essential things to do. It starts with the basics like asking your doctor the right questions and goes through 6 major areas of healing - spiritual, attitude, support, nutrition, exercise and medical. Each tip is 2-3 pages making the book easy to read and very accessible. G ...more
Nancy
Dec 13, 2016 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cancer-stuff
Lots of tips-- everything might help. As always, take what is useful and leave what is not.
Val
Feb 04, 2012 Val rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a comprehensive and easy to read guide, and it's a great first read upon being diagnosed with breast cancer. It offers advice on supplements, courses of action, and foods to eat and avoid. It was my first introduction upon being diagnosed, and I would pass it along to new breast cancer patients. I think everyone who is diagnosed should run, not walk, to the nearest book store and stock up on information. It's valuable, and this is a good start for sure.
Elisabeth
Jul 31, 2010 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for anyone who has cancer. It has 50 short chapters on everything from treatment plans (encouraging everyone to become involved and an advocate for themselves with their medical team) to diet and exercise to mediation and visualization. Highly recommended.
Sherri
Dec 28, 2008 Sherri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Newly diagnosed patients who are looking for a not-too depressing read.
Shelves: self-help-advice
This was probably one of three books I read when I was first diagnosed last year. It was helpful although some of the advice was more geared towards people who may be in later stages of cancer. I would recommend this as an easy read, that's not too depressing.
Jgfunk
Sep 25, 2012 Jgfunk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by a man who had cancer. Some of the things seem a little extreme, others very doable. Definitely a systemic approach.
Tonya
Sep 11, 2007 Tonya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new cancer patients
This book was encouraging after my mom was diagnosed with cancer. It has practical suggestions that are in doable sections. It is also very positive and encourages focusing on each day.
Alex Strick van Linschoten
A pretty decent overview, although a little preachy at times.
April
Jul 16, 2012 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good resource
Gianfranco Ruffini
201506.riassunto w. Consigli pratici. Contrario chemio
Denise Messenger
Not a terribly researched book, but has some good tips when diagnosed.
Heidi
Jan 05, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful - I bought my own copy
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Glenda
Glenda rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2013
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Liliana
Liliana rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Kathy Burnam
Kathy Burnam rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Karen Levi
Karen Levi rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Ashley L. Kuhl
Ashley L. Kuhl rated it it was ok
May 21, 2014
Linda Marshall
Linda Marshall rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2014
Jamie Ruppert
Jamie Ruppert rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2011
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2011
Jude
Jude rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Anne Orchard
Anne Orchard rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
“A man on a mission…”

Greg Anderson is the founder of Cancer Recovery Foundation International, a global affiliation of national organizations whose mission is to help all people prevent and survive cancer.

Cancer Recovery Foundation focuses on the human services side of cancer. It does not fund clinical research or medical treatments. The Foundation provides adults with training and support for imp
More about Greg Anderson...