The Bohemian Girl: Stories

The Bohemian Girl: Stories

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Uprooted from a well-ordered life in Virginia when she was nine, Willa Cather came of age in the West during the last years of the American frontier. She developed a love for the beauty of the open grassland and an abiding interest in the Old World customs of her neighbors, the dreamers and builders who inhabit her fiction. This collection includes work from the early part...more
Published April 28th 2009 by Harper Perennial (first published April 10th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Bohemian Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bohemian Girl

Jane
This is one of Willa Cather's short stories. Nils Ericson gets off the train at his hometown after being away for many years.
The reader will see that there is not a lot of emotion or affection in the family. They are quite reserved and distant. Nils is very attached to his little brother Eric who is now in his teens but remains indifferent to his two older brothers.
I am seeing a pattern with Cather's writing: love sought, love lost or love conquered intermixed with despair and tragedy.
In this st...more
Rebecca
I found "A Wagner Matinee" and "Paul's Case" very moving; the others were less memorable but impressive in their own quiet/unassuming ways.
Ruth Everhart
"Her teeth were large and square, and set far apart -- teeth that could tear." Folks, this is why I read Willa Cather -- for descriptions like this. Simple, clean, and incisive! Ha! She gives such a great sense of the plains states a hundred years ago. I loved every single one of the stories in this collection.
Stephanie
This was my first Willa Cather read and I found it interesting that she describe the land with such beauty and passion but the people of the story were very bland. I was very surprised to find that I did enjoy reading the story inspite of the fact that the people were so dispassionate.
Danelle
A good collection of her earlier short stories. I had read 3 or 4 of them in another collection. The title short story, The Bohemian Girl, was my favorite and definitely had shades of My Antonia in it.
Ali
I really enjoyed the last, and title, story in the book, "The Bohemian Girl." I started a few others but got bored with them, so I didn't really read any others.
Tom
Oct 25, 2010 Tom marked it as to-read
so far, so good
Carson
Carson is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2014
Panthère Rousse
Panthère Rousse marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Uma Duran
Uma Duran marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Mitch Duckworth
Mitch Duckworth marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Benjamin
Benjamin is currently reading it
Jul 15, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Kelly Paprocki
Kelly Paprocki marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Judith
Judith is currently reading it
May 05, 2014
Sarah added it
Apr 26, 2014
Ana Maria Rînceanu
Ana Maria Rînceanu marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Sarah K
Sarah K marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Isabel
Isabel marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Wilella Sibert Cather is an eminent author from the United States. She is perhaps best known for her depictions of U.S. life in novels such as O Pioneers!, My Ántonia, and Death Comes for the Archbishop.

More about Willa Cather...
My Ántonia O Pioneers! (Great Plains Trilogy, #1) Death Comes for the Archbishop The Song of the Lark The Professor's House