Start by marking “The Bohemian Girl: Stories (Harper Perennial Classic Stories)” as Want to Read:
The Bohemian Girl: Stories (Harper Perennial Classic Stories)

The Bohemian Girl: Stories (Harper Perennial Classic Stories)

Uprooted from a well-ordered life in Virginia when she was nine, Willa Cather came of age in the West during the last years of the American frontier. She developed a love for the beauty of the open grassland and an abiding interest in the Old World customs of her neighbors, the dreamers and builders who inhabit her fiction. This collection includes work from the early part

Paperback, Harper Perennial Classic Stories, 208 pages
Published April 28th 2009 by Harper Perennial (first published April 10th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Bohemian Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bohemian Girl

Duane
When Willa Cather was writing about the Nebraska prairie and it's early settlers, especially it's emigrant settlers, she was at her very best. That's evident in her novel My Ántonia, which I consider to be her best, and also in this beautifully written short story. Cather makes the reader feel the power of the "place", the pull it has on it's inhabitants, and their loyalty to family. That loyalty of place, family, and the love of a young couple are the heart of this story. It's one of my Cather ...more
Cindy
Feb 18, 2017 Cindy rated it liked it
I prefer Willa Cather's full-length novels.
Jane
Feb 22, 2010 Jane rated it liked it
This is one of Willa Cather's short stories. Nils Ericson gets off the train at his hometown after being away for many years.
The reader will see that there is not a lot of emotion or affection in the family. They are quite reserved and distant. Nils is very attached to his little brother Eric who is now in his teens but remains indifferent to his two older brothers.
I am seeing a pattern with Cather's writing: love sought, love lost or love conquered intermixed with despair and tragedy.
In this st
Ruth Everhart
Jan 07, 2013 Ruth Everhart rated it it was amazing
"Her teeth were large and square, and set far apart -- teeth that could tear." Folks, this is why I read Willa Cather -- for descriptions like this. Simple, clean, and incisive! Ha! She gives such a great sense of the plains states a hundred years ago. I loved every single one of the stories in this collection.
Danelle
Aug 15, 2009 Danelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A good collection of her earlier short stories. I had read 3 or 4 of them in another collection. The title short story, The Bohemian Girl, was my favorite and definitely had shades of My Antonia in it.
Kelly
Nov 24, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this far more than I anticipated. I don't have much experience with short stories, but I loved the small scale of Willa Cather's prose. The Bohemian Girl was the best of the stories, though I loved A Wagner Matinee as well.
Stephanie
Mar 14, 2010 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was my first Willa Cather read and I found it interesting that she describe the land with such beauty and passion but the people of the story were very bland. I was very surprised to find that I did enjoy reading the story inspite of the fact that the people were so dispassionate.
Ali
Dec 14, 2013 Ali rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the last, and title, story in the book, "The Bohemian Girl." I started a few others but got bored with them, so I didn't really read any others.
Tom
Oct 25, 2010 Tom marked it as to-read
so far, so good
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2012
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2009
Leola
Leola rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Farah
Farah rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2011
Harrison
Harrison rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2012
Amber Guest
Amber Guest rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2014
Erika
Erika rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2013
Amy Keller
Amy Keller rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Pisie Hochheim
Pisie Hochheim rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Kendra
Kendra rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2010
Nina
Nina rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2013
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2013
Amy Beck
Amy Beck rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2012
Julie Mickens
Julie Mickens rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2017
Shannon Durfee
Shannon Durfee rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Judi
Judi rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Kristine
Kristine rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Emily Herberich
Emily Herberich rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2014
Michael Lloyd-Billington
Michael Lloyd-Billington rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2015
  • Bliss & Other Stories
  • Criers & Kibitzers, Kibitzers & Criers
  • The Secret Rose: Love Poems by W.B. Yeats
  • Buttered Side Down: Short Stories
  • Pudd'nhead Wilson and Other Tales (World's Classics)
  • Я (Романтика). Вибрані твори
  • The American Tradition in Literature
  • Reasoning from the Scriptures with the Jehovah's Witnesses
  • The Sicilian's Ruthless Marriage Revenge
  • The Longman Anthology of British Literature, Volume 2A: The Romantics and Their Contemporaries
Wilella Sibert Cather was born in Back Creek Valley (Gore), Virginia, in December 7, 1873. Her novels on frontier life brought her to national recognition. In 1923 she was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for her novel, One of Ours (1922), set during World War I. She grew up in Virginia and Nebraska. She then attended the University of Nebraska, initially planning to become a physician, but after writin ...more
More about Willa Cather...