3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  2,038 ratings  ·  75 reviews
The Christmas Stocking, FERN MICHAELS.

Philadelphia businesswoman Amy Baran is determined to raise money for a new seniors' center by harvesting Christmas trees from the small-town Virginia farm she remembers from her childhood. Trouble is, Gus Moss has come home from California with his own ideas about saving the farm his father has neglected. Neither wants to give up, but

Published (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sugar and Spice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugar and Spice

Tabby Kat
This book is a collection of four romance novellas set during Christmas time.

First up is "The Christmas Stocking" by Fern Michaels. It finds Amy Baran and Gus Moss returning to their hometown to help their parents with projects relating to Christmas trees. Along they way, they meet and the sparks fly. The story started well, but I felt the plot resolved about thirty pages before the story ended.

Second comes "The Ghost of Christmas Past" by Beverly Barton. Katie Hadley is trying to escape her f...more
Georgiann Hennelly
Sugar and Spice is a really lovable sweet read for the holidays . A great book to just curl up and read. There is four different stories by four different authors.The christmas stocking by Fern Michaels. Two adult children come home for the holidays to help there parents and raise money for a new senior center will Amy and Gus fall i love? The Ghost of Christmas past by Beverly Barton-Mack MacKinnon a wounded special ops officer isn,t looking forward to the holidays - until he rescues pretty wid...more
Jodi
This is one of the strongest romance anthologies I have read. The Joanne Fluke story is actually the weakest but she included great sounding recipes to make up for it. If that's the only reason you're reading it, don't rush. If you're a romance lover or want to find out if you might be, read the others.

Fern Michaels tells the story of two adult children estranged from their only remaining parents who find themselves teamed up to make promises come true for reopening a beloved Christmas Tree farm...more
Justina
I just love Joanne Fluke so I picked this up. I had no idea that some of the short stories would be so...shall we say, graphic? I read this on my lunch breaks and was so embarassed reading some of the love scenes while at work! It made me feel like I was doing something naughty! lol
Karen
1 star for the stories, 1 for Joanna Fluke's recipes.

I usually adore romance novella collections, but this one fell flat for me. Three of the couples get engaged by Christmas, and two of those are married on New Year's. Seriously? And two of the stories were 12 days themed.

The romance in the Fern Michaels one has a very fun plot about running Christmas tree farms. I never knew the business was so complicated! Some of the plot strained belief slightly, but I quite enjoyed it until I reached the...more
Lin Stepp
I went on a jag over the holidays reading anthologies … and this was one of my favorites. The short novel by Fern Michaels THE CHRISTMAS STOCKING was especially enjoyable … as two city slickers come home to a small town in Virginia to wrestle with the past and connect. …The Beverly Barton tale is one of those blizzard rescue stories where two people get caught in a storm - and soon change each other … and the other two tales by Joanne Fluke and Shirley Jump were fun, too. Sometimes only one nove...more
Andrea O'Brien

The Christmas Stocking by Fern Michaels
While I am usually against the love at first sight gimmick I found it completely adorable in this story.
When Gus sees Amy and instantly starts calling her “my love” before even knowing her name it was both funny and endearing. He is so awkward and goofy that it came across as comical and not creepy. Especially when he realizes that she is his competition and continues to do so, lines like “my love is angry” were really amusing under the circ...more
Cindy
4 contemporary Christmas stories from authors I've never heard of before.

Fern Michaels - 3 stars. Hero & heroine come home for the holidays to help out their parents (his dad/her mom). I liked this story. There were 2 episodes though that were kind of awkward (when his dead mom "talks" to him & his dad. They're not having auditory hallucinations, because the dog hears her too. I could MAYBE have accepted this if it were in a paranormal, but this is supposed to be a regular story!). If y...more
JoAnn
I bought this used at our local Friends on the Library bookstore. I am happy to say it still had the free ornament in it. That helped with the rating.
I do not believe I had read any of these authors before. I will not be reading anything by Joanne Fluke again. Her story The Twelve Desserts of Christmas was more about the mystery solving baker and her desserts than about the romance. If I had read one of her full length novels about said baker I might have enjoyed the story more, but as an introd...more
Kim Boggs
“The Twelve Desserts of Christmas” by Joanne Fluke is a short story featured in the book Sugar and Spice by Fern Michaels. Julie Jansen, a teacher of Lakes Academy in Minnesota, is asked by Dr. Caulder if she could stay at the boarding school over Christmas to keep an eye on the girls who couldn’t go home for the holidays and she says yes. Coincidentally, Dr. Caulder then asks Matt Sherwood, another teacher and also Julie’s love interest, if he could stay to watch the boys and of course he agree...more
Janet
A collection of 4 holiday stories by 4 authors. I knew it would have something to do with the holidays, but since I was lead to this book through the Joanne Fluke collection, I expected a bit more mystery stories with holiday/holiday romance thrown in, instead of pure over rated "romance". The first of the stories, The Christmas Stocking, took a bit to get into. When the angst was solved, I expected there to be more of a "comedy of errors" feeling and a good laugh, but I was left with a fizzle a...more
Arow
For what they are; all of the short stories were good. They were light romantic fluff that takes your mind off of what is actually happening in your life :-) I read the collection due to my love of Joanne Fluke. Other than Fern Michaels I had not hear of the other authors.

The Christmas Stocking by Fern Michaels was my favourite. I actually enjoyed the story telling alternating between the two main characters. Obviously the story would never happen but it was sweet and very loving.

Ghost of Chri...more
Mark Baker
A romance novella collection I read for Joanne Fluke's entry. I enjoyed it and two of the stories, but I found Fern Michaels's story to be laughable weak.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Angela
Really fun collection of 4 novellas featuring love and Christmas. Two of these were really good. My rating is really about 3.5 stars. I like a compilation like this that can lead me to other reads by the same authors.
Nancy
This is a book of four short stories. I downloaded it to read the Joanne Fluke story, which was O.<., and it didn't have anything more than kissing. It's about two teachers, who were asked to stay at the school, to watch six students, who couldn't go home for Christmas. The girls bet against the boys, that theeir male teacher will propose to their woman teacher by Christmas. It's a light and funny story.

The first and second stories were not too bad. The fourth story started out with swearing...more
Rachel
This is a short stories book. It's definitely not my normal genre, as it sits right in the middle of romance. I like a little romance but not too much. The first story The Christmas Stocking by Fern Michaels is very good, a few curse words but nothing terrible, the second, The Ghost of Christmas Past by Beverly Barton, has a few more curse words, and a very graphic love scene, the third, The Twelve Desserts of Christmas by Joanne Fluke, was really good. The fourth short Story, Twelve Days by Shi...more
Keri
I read this because of the story by Joanne Fluke - "The Twelve Desserts of Christmas". It didn't have very much to do with Hannah Swensen and the regular plots of her stories, but it was a decent short story.

I ended up LOVING the story by Shirley Jump - "Twelve Days". I wanted it to be longer, but it still felt like enough story to be satisfying. I loved the characters and will be interested to check out other things by this author.

I did not read the first two stories in the book as they did no...more
Dolores
I only read Joanne Fluke's Twelve Desserts of Christmas. I'm so used to her Hannah Swensen mysteries that I expected something similar in this one. However, it was kinda romancy.

Two teachers work in a boarding school over Christmas as 3 boys and 3 girls have no place else to spend it. Matt Sherwood and Julie Jansen are also romantically involved. Their cook, Mrs. Dryer, didn't make them any desserts, so Hannah is brought in to the rescue.

If you like short romancy tales, this would be for you.
Courtney
I could have done without this one. I don't think I would have missed much. I'm a huge Hannah Swenson fan, so I only read the story by Joanne Fluke. While it involved Hannah Swenson to an extent, it wasn't like her usual stories. I didn't realize they were all romance stories until after getting the book. The story was fine though ... nothing exceptional. Even if you're a huge fan of Hannah Swenson, don't stress yourself out trying to get to this one.
Sherry
A nice collection of romance short stories. The Fern Michaels story didn't float my boat - the dialogue was random, as if the author were trying to hard to move the story to a certain point through dialogue. The rest of the stories were great in comparison. I may even become a Joanne Fluke fan (if my TBR list ever goes down). As always with short romance stories, the characters fell in love too fast and had too neat of a happily ever after.
LaSchelle
I really liked the Fern Michaels story. A sweet story that starts with broken relationships but ends with mended fences and better.

Beverly Barton's story was sweet with a nice ending.

Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen was nice because no one died. Sweet romance!

Shirley Jump's story was about office romances. She gave some great advice about following your passion for work. The nice girl wins!

Shannon
I checked this out for the Joanne Fluke story since I've enjoyed the Hannah Swenson series. As usual, I found her to be funny and enjoyable, easy fluff to pass the time and give a quite snicker. I also enjoyed the first story "The Christmas Stocking" by Fern Michaels.

Keep in mind, this is more romance than mystery though. The other two stories were more sexually oriented and didn't really appeal to me.
Tonia
This is exactly why I don't usually read "romance novels." I just felt the stories lacking and too neatly tied up at the end.....not exactly believable. I read the book because I am a fan of Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swenson bakery mysteries. I found her story exactly as I would have expected it, although both of those teachers would have been fired for their conduct in the real world.
Kate
I only read the Joanne Fluke story in this book and even though it wasn't a mystery I really enjoyed it. Hannah was present thoughout about 80% of the story and she helped two teachers at a boarding school fall in love when they were stuck at school over Christmas break watching children who couldn't go home. It was a cute, sweet story.
Just - The romance reader
A nice collection of romantic fiction novellas laced with Christmas spirit. The stories were all cute and very festive. I especially liked "The Ghost of Christmas Past" by Beverly Barton and "The Christmas Stocking" by Fern Michaels.

So glad I read Sugar and Spice during the Christmas season.
Debra
"Twelve Desserts of Christmas" was the title of the volume I read from "Sugar and Spice". Take two lovestuck teachers. Add a dollop of conspiring kids. Place in a boarding school over Christmas break. Add Hannah Swensen and you've got a romantic holiday tale spiced with a bit of mystery.
Katey
This book actually has 4 short stories in it, all of which were very good. I read this book, because it is part of the series by Joanne Fluke that I have yet to finish, but now I might read the other authors' works in the future. I really did enjoy this book, and recommend to everyone.
Patt
Four short stories about Christmas by authors, Fern Michaels, Beverly Barker, Joanne Fluke, and
Shirley Jump. I read this because it was next in the Joanne Fluke series that I read, but I really enjoyed all the stories, especially The Christmas Stocking by Fern Michaels.
  • Candy Cane Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9.5)
  • The Naughty List
  • Secret Santa (Harlequin Blaze, #292)
  • Red Hot Santa
  • I'm Your Santa (Brava Brothers, #3)
  • Twas the Night
  • A Catered Murder (A Mystery with Recipes, #1)
Fern Michaels isn’t a person. I’m not sure she’s an entity either since an entity is something with separate existence. Fern Michaels® is what I DO. Me, Mary Ruth Kuczkir. Growing up in Hastings, Pennsylvania, I was called Ruth. I became Mary when I entered the business world where first names were the order of the day. To this day, family and friends call me Dink, a name my father gave me when I...more
More about Fern Michaels...
Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood, #1) Payback (Sisterhood, #2) Vendetta (Sisterhood, #3) The Jury (Sisterhood, #4) Sweet Revenge (Sisterhood #5)