Start by marking “The Mackenzies: The Dynasty Begins (Mackenzie Family, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
The Mackenzies: The Dynasty Begins (Mackenzie Family, #1-2)

The Mackenzies: The Dynasty Begins (Mackenzie Family #1-2)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  2,051 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
The Dynasty begins with The Mackenzie's. Fans of bestselling author Linda Howard will experience again the passion and drama that only Mackenzie men can inspire. Readers will cherish this collector's edition of these first two-full length Mackenzie stories, Mackenzie's Mountain and Mackenzie's Mission. (Trade)
Trade Paperback, 2-in-1, 472 pages
Published August 1st 1996 by Mira (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Mackenzies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mackenzies

Catherine
Wow, what a blast from the past. At times it was hard for me to remember that this was a written as a contemporary. Especially in the first story, Mackenzie's Mountain. The extreme small town prejudice and the casual way the heroine said "halfbreed" once really felt historical to me. But I just squinted past the "Contemporary" label and went with the flow of it.

Older romances, written back in the 80's and early 90's, have a specific feel to the style. If you've ever read one I'm sure you know wh
Kathy
Jul 17, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MacKenzie's Mountain - dated in parts, but still really good upon re-reading. And I still love Wolf MacKenzie to bits! 4.5 stars

MacKenzie's Mission - *sigh* I loved Joe in Mountain, but here he lost a bit of his shine. Plus, I had to skim the sex scenes. Just a little too purply for me, but still, it is LH. 3.5 stars

Combined: 4 stars
Noelle
MacKenzie' s Mountain- 5*

Mary (h) was a sheltered child and grew up with her very proper Aunt. Now she has come to a small town in Wyoming to be the new school teacher. Being from Savanna she's a bit of a fish out of water but she's willing and ready to grab the bull by the horns and get to teaching. As she's over seeing the charts of the students from the previous year, she notices that there was one who dropped out, not just any one but a boy who was at the top of his class. This she couldn't
Tiffany
Linda Howard is one of the greats in the romance genre, and the Mackenzies series is supposed to be one of her best. This re-release contains the first two books in this category romance series - Mackenzie's Mountain and Mackenzie's Mission. I definitely enjoyed both stories and flew through them. My favorite thing about couples Wolf and Mary and Joe and Caroline was how apparent throughout the stories their physical attraction was to each other. It always makes me warm and happy whenever the au ...more
Carrie
Jan 29, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mackenzie's Mountain 3.5-4* Fun and sexy. Loved Wolf.

Mackenzie's Mission 3* This was a quick read and I enjoyed it overall. The characters are too stereotyped and the plot was weak, but it has it's passionate moments.
Amy
Jan 27, 2015 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mission was the better of the two.
Pam
Feb 23, 2015 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mackenzie’s Legacy is two books about the Mackenzies by Linda Howard. The first is Mackenzie’s Mountain and the second is Mackenzie’s Mission.
Mary Elizabeth Potter is a spinster who takes a job teaching in a small town in Wyoming. She left the South to see if there was something better out in the world that her little town. She is a dedicated teacher who was brought up by her Aunt who taught her to stand up for herself when necessary but to be a lady when she did. Mary loves her teaching assig
Nitzan Schwarz
Mackenzie's Mountain: September 19th - 20th, 2014
Okay, Howard. I'm bought. You've managed to make me completely love and adore this story even though there is a form of insta-love in here, and I'm a tough cookie when it comes to Insta Love. I'll be reading more of your books, I can promise you that.

Mackenzie's Mission: November 23rd - 24th, 2014
Okay, I liked in enough. Definitely sweeping and addictive, just as much as the first book. BUT, I did have a few issues with it (view
Gwnhwyfer
Mackenzie's Mountain ★★★★
Mackenzie's Mission ★★

Mackenzie's Mountain - The beginning felt like an historical, but it was good. There were dated references (hero was in Vietnam) but unlike Joe's story (see below for mini-rant), it wasn't as obvious this was written in the 1980s (except for the alpha hero, but even he wasn't that bad). I liked the characters (though I was afraid at the beginning that the heroine was going to be a TSTL type - it's Wyoming, it's winter, there's snow. You need boots.
Charlene
This volume contains Books #1 and #2 in Linda Howard's Mackenzie family series:

1. Makenzie's Mountain: school teacher stands up for native American pupil, who later gets into Air Force Academy. Meanwhile, she falls in love with his widowed dad. Townspeople show racial prejudice and some violence. Heroine makes one or two TSTL mistakes; fortunately, it wasn't so annoying.

2. Makenzie's Mission: Native American Colonel is fighter plane test pilot. Meets brilliant young scientist who skipped grades
Jessi
Mackenzie's Mountain-Mary is a new schoolteacher in town and can't understand the animosity toward Wolf Mackenzie, just because he's a half-breed. Yeah, he was in jail but there were extenuating circumstances. Mary helps his sixteen-year-old son get into a military academy, people who are helping the Mackenzie men start getting attacked, Wolf helps solve it all while falling in love with the petite school marm.
Mackenzie's Mission-Joe (Wolf's son) meets his own twu wuv in this story in the form o
MiniMe
May 08, 2016 MiniMe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written sometime in the late 80s/early 90s, Mackenzie's Legacy (books 1 and 2) are contemporary romance done right. I'm a Linda Howard fan and I consider the Mackenzie family series a classic. They're better than a lot of what's out there today. I'm not sure, though, if "half-breed" was/is politically correct--it bothered me, but Wolf and Joe's bi-racial background was a factor in their stories. Maybe that's acceptable nomenclature, but it felt wrong as opposed to American Indian. However, the r ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Two of the MacKenzie Family books in one. First is MacKenzie's Mountain, featuring Wolf MacKenzie and Mary, the schoolteacher, who comes to the mountain to persuade Wolf to get his son back in school.

The second story is MacKenzie's Mission about Wolf's son, Joe, who is now a Colonel in the Air Force.

I loved the first book and it is high on my favorites list. The second one wasn't bad but it wasn't quite as spectacular as the first one.
Judy Wise
Aug 21, 2011 Judy Wise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book contained (2) complete books. Mackenzie's Mountain and Mackenzie's Mission.
This is a reprint of Linda's series. I understand that she has many requests to keep this series going. I can certainly understand why. I loved reading both the stores. The first is the story of Wolf and how he fights his half-breed status and finds love and the second is the story of his son and his career in the Air Force. Both are page turners.
Laurie
Jul 14, 2012 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! Intense, emotional and filled with heady passion. Sorry to be so blunt, but it was the best sex I ever read! The emotional struggles of all the characters was so vivid I could taste it. There was small town mentality, racism, a journey to fulfill a teenage dream of flying a jet fighter plane, a quest to find a hate filled rapist, defiance, fighting back, lust and love. I cannot wait to read the next book in this series!
Mindy Altaqi
Jun 16, 2009 Mindy Altaqi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite series and I love Linda HOward. Some of her more recent books have been a little disappointing, but this is an older release and one I really enjoyed. I personally preferred Wolf and Mary's story more than I did Joe's, but they were both good I really like Wolf's character and also how Mary who is this tiny woman always stood up to him. Overall, they are both great read and I definitely recommend.
C K
Oct 10, 2012 C K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Mackenzie's are a great series (Mackenzie's Mountain, Mackenzie's Mission, A Game of Chance, and the one about the only daughter Maria (?sp)) This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that.
Monica Lombardi
Jul 19, 2013 Monica Lombardi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this volume to read "MacKenzie's mission" because I had already read "MacKenzie's Mountain" (and fell in love with it) and all I can say is: utterly delicious!
Joe rocked when he was 16 and he double rocks as an adult fighter pilot, with that hint of "he tends to be very much the Colonel" that makes him just the right degree of "imperfect".
Linda Howard IS a great writer.
Ruth Becht
Apr 14, 2016 Ruth Becht rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMGosh-- this was one of THOSE books... you could not put it down... and you will never forget it.
I read a lot... a lot... and I can't tell you what makes it a book I LOVE vs one that I enjoyed... but from the very start I loved this story... Mary- Wolf and Joe...people you want to be happy.

Linda has written many books.. Don't miss this one.
Emily
Aug 24, 2010 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Glenda
Apr 01, 2016 Glenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed this book. It started with Wolf and his love of loyalty as determination. The second book was also interesting with Joe and Caroline both into their careers, but realized their feelings in a crisis.
Nancy
Feb 28, 2015 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought-on
WM F28 2015 Did NOT like 1st book, see her Lady of the West for a much better story with same base.
On the other hand, Mission is good because of Caroline..enjoying this one so far (p320)
Mountain = 2 Star Legacy = 4 stars
Gaynell
Oct 24, 2010 Gaynell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: howard-linda
I really liked both stories. Mary sure was a spirited little woman who wouldn't let the prejudicies of the people in Ruth, Montana sway her opinion of the man she loved. Wolf didn't have a chance in not loving her! I, also, enjoyed Joe and Caroline's story. Caroline was almost as feisty as Mary.
Phyllis
Jun 20, 2008 Phyllis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Phyllis by: Claudine
I have to say this is my all time favorite of Linda Howard's. Wolf Mackenzie. If you've read it, then that's all I have to say. Joe MacKenzie ain't too bad either. lol

This has been reissued and EVERYONE should read this at least once.
penelopewanders
Aug 12, 2009 penelopewanders rated it liked it
Haven't read much by this much appreciated author. Not convinced yet. Bit irksome the perennial young innocents and wild bad guys, although the high IQ heroine in Mackenzies mission wasn't too bad. Not sure I'll pursue this series.
Gabi Leone
Sep 12, 2016 Gabi Leone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mackenzies=perfection. Any Mackenzie novel is solid gold. I've never had more fun reading any books in my life. From Wolf to Joe to steamy Zane and to die for Chance, this is my favorite family. BRING BACK THE MACKENZIES!!!!
Norma
Jan 17, 2010 Norma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved wolf's book. Loved Wolf! Didn't like Joe's book so much tho. Joe was kind of stupid for a smart successful man.
Janeiowa
Jul 24, 2014 Janeiowa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read as as individual titles, this series is hard to beat! It's writing that calls you back to re-read time and time again.
Judy Smith
This series is great, third time I've read it. Love all the characters!! Read for the second time love this series!!!
  • Shadow Dance
  • Don't Let Go (SEAL Team 12, #5)
  • Remember Summer
  • Midnight Angel (Midnight, #3)
  • Tall, Dark and Dangerous:  (Tall, Dark and Dangerous, #1-3: Prince Joe / Forever Blue / Frisco's Kid)
  • Jamie (Visitation, North Carolina, #5)
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
  • Outsider (Long, Tall Texans #30)
  • The Trophy Wife
  • Run Among Thorns

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance
More about Linda Howard...

Mackenzie Family (5 books)
  • Mackenzie's Mountain (Mackenzie Family, #1)
  • Mackenzie's Mission (Mackenzie Family, #2)
  • Mackenzie's Pleasure (Mackenzie Family, #3)
  • Mackenzie's Magic (Mackenzie Family, #4)
  • A Game of Chance (Mackenzie Family, #5)