Start by marking “Repeat Until Rich: A Professional Card Counter's Chronicle of the Blackjack Wars” as Want to Read:

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  31 reviews
A deliciously wry, edge-of-the-seat memoir of making a fortune with card counters across a wide swath of blackjack in America.

At twenty-four, Josh Axelrad held down a respectable and ominously dull job on Wall Street. Adventure was a tuna fish sandwich instead of the usual turkey for lunch. Then one night, a stranger at a cocktail party persuaded him to leave the nine-t
Published March 18th 2010 by Penguin Press HC, The (first published February 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Repeat Until Rich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Repeat Until Rich

Josh Axelrad
May 15, 2010 Josh Axelrad rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
When prose suggests a real man lurking somewhere in back of the page, you go to your knees and clasp hands and mouth "thank you" and you cry.
Keith
The story was interesting enough, but the writing was just hilarious. The author wasn't trying to be funny. It was clear he was trying really hard to write articulately and sound impressive, but most of it just made me laugh. The people around me ended up hearing me quoting him throughout the book. It is a quick read.

I made notes of my favorite quotes from the books. Here are some of them: Everyone should read #6

1. "I never know quite what to say to a woman in the absence of sexual tension."

Meri
I sincerely wish I had read this one before Bringing Down the House. This book tells a similar story, but with much more depth. Josh Axelrad talks about the excitement of card counting: throwing tens of thousands of dollars in cash around, comped suites, being chased out by security, and traveling around the country hitting casino after casino for thousands. But he doesn't stop here. He also addresses the attraction of professional gambling and the holes it leaves in his life. After the game is ...more
rmn
This is a strange, disjointed book that should have either been a bunch of essays, two books, or a movie, but it fails as a connected novel. The author spends about 2/3 of the book telling about his marginally interesting life as a professional blackjack player before awkwardly moving into his struggles as an online poker addict.

The editor should have wiped the last section from the book and done a better job of cobbling the blackjack story together. The author's escapades on a team of blackjack
Paul
This book is GREAT!! Well told, well-written, just brilliant. Highly personal and highly engaging. I loved, loved, LOVED IT!!! Cannot recommend it enough!!!
Harmony
Pretty good tale- beginning was very hunter Thompson esque, end was a little pathetic
Joel Lantz
Started great. By the end I just wanted to punch the author in the head.
Julie Franki
Since GoodReads doesn't have fractional stars, I sometimes get stuck figuring out my basic rating. With this book especially, how much entertainment can be derived from it depends on how interested you are in the subject matter (which is clearly spelled out in its title). Usually I'm not particularly interested in the subject of gambling (I've never had the desire to enter a casino or even buy a lottery ticket), but the idea of legally cheating casinos out of money by running a complicated, orga ...more
Tom
I really enjoy true life gambling memoirs, but "Repeat Until Rich" just didn't deliver. This book started out okay, with standard blackjack counting scenarios a la "Bringing Down the House". There were also some good stories and adventures in there. But some of the writing was just too generic and glossed over. I would have liked more details and descriptions of the systems, gambling trips, player lifestyle and actual battles with the casinos. There were some good ones, but just not enough.

What
Zora O'Neill
Ah-ha! That's what all those card-counters are up to! Dissipation in Vegas, of course, but also a lot of roaming the country facing down the true bleakness of casinos and 'gaming' culture. This would've been an OK book as it was originally planned, but then in the process of writing it, Axelrad fritters away his book advance on online poker, which adds a whole other dimension to the story. Bad for Axelrad, but great for the book. And the last chapter, about meditation, was just as fascinating, i ...more
Tyson
Josh Axelrad delivers on what was promised - an engaging memoir about card counting and life that goes along with it. However, what really separates this from other similar novels is the honesty of his account. The novel begins with Axelrad as a lost aspiring card counter and ends with him as a broken gambling addict aching to reclaim the heights he experienced along the way. The journey is the compelling part, as he recounts the greatest of successes and worst of failures on his way to completi ...more
This is not the sort of book I would normally pick up, seeing as how I don't care about gambling, seldom get into memoirs, and don't like fast-paced, anxiety-inducing realistic stories. But Josh Axelrad happens to be a sort of friend of mine, and I saw him occasionally in New York during the time of his life that he describes in this book. I bought it when it came out, but it took me this long to get around to reading it. He's a great story-teller, and a I think that (in general and in this book ...more
Anna
I really, really loved this book. A brutally honest memoir about the extreme highs and lows of professional gambling and gambling addiction, this is a must-read. The subject matter is also something I find fascinating because I don't have the brainpower to do anything like count cards (mine is all used up on TV trivia and facts about bananas).

Loved it. Short chapters kept me turning pages, and the easy, familiar writing style didn't make any of it seem like a chore.

I've been reading a lot of mem
David
A fascinating, if dark, look at the "game" of Man v. Casino. In Axelrad's case, he seemed to win the game, until he stopped working with a counting crew and started playing solo on-line poker.

His vivid recollections of the cat-and-mouse interaction between players and enforcers reveal a whole 'nother world with its own set of rule. And the swiftness with which he lost his "stake" on the internet is scary.
Rob Eelkema
If there every was a day in your life where you wanted to quit your job and count cards for a living, read this fast-paced book. This was sent to me by my dad and all he wrote was "you can relate" and I really did. I loved the book and read it quickly.....didn't want it to end. Gamblers have something in common and I could really relate to Josh Axlerad's descriptions of his feelings when winning and losing.
Asails F
If you ever have a chance to see Josh give a book read or lecture do not miss out. He will keep you on your toes.

After reading about card reading I only can think how organized a business it is. I once lived near a casino where I took my late night walks. He inspired me to write a story about what I saw in the casino all from my 500 or more visits.
Jack

Josh
Apr 12, 2010 Josh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
When I first started reading this book, I thought the writing was heavy handed and the similes a bit much. Once I got into the groove, however, I found that it really fit Axelrad's description of getting into the semi-glamorous world of card counting. Once his life goes off the rails, the books becomes impossible to put down.
Susan
I'd probably give this 3.5 stars. I did not like him and thought the story was a little self serving. Another get rich quick scheme for him. This wasn't half as good as the other true story about blackjack which was the one that became a movie.
Ramiro
interesting look at card counting and the highs and lows of being a professional gambler. the ending was a little weak, but what did i expect, the guys a gambler not an author.
Kevin
Another card counter book. I get suckered into these and they are generally good but not great. Not bad writing but the ending was def not what I was expecting.
Kathy
This book was nothing special. I enjoy reading about card players. However, this book was poorly written, had no point, and taught me nothing new.
Ben Bromage
Take a gamble and read this book! haw haw haw
Michelle
Excellent. I posted a full review over on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3OP0M3E...
Adrian
The first half had some interesting blackjack stuff, but then the book just took a nosedive in the last half.
Julie
I heard the author give an interview on the radio, and he was fascinating. The book was quite "meh", though.
Jonathan Weinberger
Yes, another book by a guy who made a living, for a time, counting cards. Engagingly told.
John
Kind of an interesting story, Read like fiction. Not a very good author, but not too bad.
Michael
The author/main character is tough to like, which makes the book tough to like.
Locust
great read...enjoyed the exploration of addiction.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Pre-orders, oh 1 8 Jan 23, 2010 01:46PM
  • Nowhere Near Normal: A Memoir of OCD
  • Eating with the Enemy: How I Waged Peace with North Korea from My BBQ Shack in Hackensack
  • Cowboys Full: The Story of Poker
  • Are We Winning? Fathers and Sons in the New Golden Age of Baseball
  • The Game from Where I Stand: A Ballplayer's Inside View
  • Lay the Favorite: A Memoir of Gambling
  • Fortune's Formula: The Untold Story of the Scientific Betting System That Beat the Casinos and Wall Street
  • Prisoner of Trebekistan: A Decade in Jeopardy!
  • Imbibe!: From Absinthe Cocktail to Whiskey Smash, a Salute in Stories and Drinks to "Professor" Jerry Thomas, Pioneer of the American Bar
  • Exile on Wall Street: One Analyst's Fight to Save the Big Banks from Themselves
  • Cartel: The Coming Invasion of Mexico's Drug Wars
  • The Infiltrator: My Secret Life Inside the Dirty Banks Behind Pablo Escobar's Medellín Cartel
  • Scalia Dissents: Writings of the Supreme Court's Wittiest, Most Outspoken Justice
  • The Daily Adventures of Mixerman
  • The Pickup Artist: The New and Improved Art of Seduction
  • Wanted: Gentleman Bank Robber: The True Story of Leslie Ibsen Rogge, One of the FBI's Most Elusive Criminals
  • The Wild Vine: A Forgotten Grape and the Untold Story of American Wine
  • The Lost Chronicles: The Official Companion Book with Bonus DVD Behind the Scenes of LOST
Josh Axelrad is a former professional blackjack player and author of the memoir Repeat Until Rich . He was born in Southern California.
More about Josh Axelrad...