Start by marking “The Unsung Hero (Troubleshooters, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Unsung Hero (Troubleshooters, #1)

The Unsung Hero (Troubleshooters #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  11,392 Ratings  ·  640 Reviews
Suzanne Brockmann's wildly popular Troubleshooters series showcases this master storyteller's rare gift for blending intense adventure with sensuous romance. And it all begins with The Unsung Hero, a heart-pounding tale of love that reveals hidden truths and brings two solitary people together against all odds.

After a near-fatal head injury, Navy SEAL lieutenant Tom Paolet
Published June 3rd 2003 by Ballantine Books (first published June 6th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Unsung Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unsung Hero

Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 04, 2012 Mike (the Paladin) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
AAAAAIIIIIIEEEEEE!!!!!!! I bought this piece of #@*&%@#!

By the way...I need to make a new shelf...advertised as action but it ain't (okay maybe it should be 'isn't' but "ain't" has so much more, "punch".). The synopsis of this book gives us a stirring picture of an injured/ex Navy Seal who sees an international terrorist and can't get anyone to listen. So he forms his own force and goes after said terrorist.

In reality we get a great opening scene that seems to set up an action book that move
♥Rachel♥
Feb 13, 2016 ♥Rachel♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Eva • All Books Considered
It’s not often that I call a romantic suspense novel beautiful and moving, but that’s exactly what The Unsung Hero was. Really, this was three separate stories weaved together into one: a second chance romance between Tom Paoletti and Kelly Ashton, a longtime friendship between two WWII veterans (Tom’s great uncle, Joe Paoletti and Kelly’s father, Charles Ashton), and a romance between Tom’s niece, Mallory and David the geek.

Tom’s back home with his Great Uncle Joe on thirty-day medical leave f
Julianna
Jun 22, 2010 Julianna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Military Romantic Suspense, Suzanne Brockmann, The Troubleshooters Series
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"3.5 stars" For quite some time now, I've been seeing rave reviews for Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series, so I finally decided to pick up The Unsung Hero. Unfortunately, when I finished reading it, I was left with very mixed feelings about nearly every aspect of the book. Rather than being a romance in which there is one primary hero and heroine with secondary characters to support them, it felt like there was an ensemble cast. The book has three separate “love”
Dipanjan
Jan 28, 2013 Dipanjan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: This review is done by someone who does not LIKE romance novels. It's not that he is not romantic, but in black and white, it's just not his game.

Firstly, may I ask ANYONE to tell me what THIS synopsis promises?

"After a near-fatal head injury, navy SEAL lieutenant Tom Paoletti catches a terrifying glimpse of an international terrorist in his New England hometown. When he calls for help, the navy dismisses the danger as injury-induced imaginings. In a desperate, last-ditch effort to
CC
Sep 12, 2015 CC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this on Overdrive. I thought the narration was excellent, but this book may have been better served read vs. listened to. It was my first Brockmann book so I had no idea what to expect.

This was a BIG book. A TON going on. No less than 3 separate (but linked) plots that could have been their own books. This was like reading a movie. It could be a movie. If you lose focus listening you could miss something important and find yourself in the middle of a different plot with no idea wha
♡Karlyn P♡
Oct 06, 2008 ♡Karlyn P♡ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance suspense fans
A hard one to review as there were several story lines going on, but overall it was a very satisfying romance suspense novel with plenty of intrigue and interesting secondary characters. The main story centers around Tom and Kelly, who are reunited in their home town after 16 years.

What makes this book really good is the character development and the suspense storyline, but the romance itself is typical stuff with them getting to know each other again, a few small misunderstandings, and them de
Jonetta
Quick summary
During a mission, Navy SEAL Tom Paoletti suffers a head injury that sidelines him. While recuperating at his New England hometown, he catches a glimpse of a notorious terrorist but no one believes him. See, Tom was the leader of SEAL Team 16 and no matter the injury, his instincts are stellar. He puts together a bare-bones team to help him figure out what's going on. In the meantime, he's also reconnecting with Kelly Ashton, his teenage crush and the woman who got away.

Why this book
Tina
Aug 14, 2008 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally read in 2001, re-read in 2016

This is the First of the Troubleshooters/SEAL tem 16 series.

Tom Paoletti is the CO of the SEAL team 16. After a rescue gone awry that resulted in him being a coma from head injuries, Tom is put on medical leave for 30 days. As he arrives home, he learns that his uncle is being honored as a WWII hero, he begins a romance with Kelly Ashton, the sexy doctor from next door and he catches glimpse of a long pursued,international terrorist known as The Merchant.
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Wow, I loved this one. It was written back in 2000, but it still feels fresh and current. I am definitely going to read this series as well as more books by Ms. Brockmann. I am not sure why I haven't read any of her books before this, but that won't be the case going forward.

Ms. Brockmann has crafted a great suspense plot into the lives of six primary characters.

Tom is placed on leave due to a head injury he incurred in his last rescue mission. When he sees an international terrorist (The Merch
Hallie
Mar 11, 2014 Hallie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-my-cuppa, romance
Right, I’m going to be upfront and admit that I might have hate-read this, in which case I deserved every bit of readerly suffering I got. Well, I didn’t hate-read it, obviously, because I thought I’d like it before starting, but hate-finished sounds a bit odd.

I’m uncertain about whether to start with why I kept reading (the rational part) or why I hated it, but I think the former is probably preferable. Also shorter! Mostly I kept reading out of fascination for the suspense story-line, after t
Eastofoz
Feb 25, 2008 Eastofoz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a weak 4 stars for me because I was expecting better, but from what I’ve heard about the Troubleshooters series it’s the following books that tend to be the best. There’s nothing “wrong” with this story it’s just that it’s nearly all very predictable and the main hero wasn’t as “Navy SEAL” as alphas usually are. He’s much more vulnerable and not as strong as I’d have liked.

There are three stories within this novel and that was very confusing and annoying until just over halfway. There’s
Stephanie
Okay, I finished the book last night at about 10:30!

I loved this book after about page 150. I was a little slow at first. That may be b/c I have been reading a lot of Lora Leigh, girl doesn't waste any time, if ya know what I mean!

Very few books make me cry, but this one did. I love a book that stays with you for a while after you finish. Unsung Hero has managed to do just that! I cannot wait to get into the rest of the series.

Tom is a very likable hero with flaws. Kelly is a great character, w
Alisa
This was pretty good but a little slow. I also didn't buy the past history. She was just a kid when they knew each other before so this was insta-love for me. BUT.....and this is a big but......I was SO happy to see a good heroine. This is the kind of woman I want to read about in my books. In her 30's, has a career, NOT a virgin, communicates like an adult, asks for what she wants, treats people nicely...doesn't have to act like a b*tch to prove how "bad assed" she is, doesn't run off doing TST ...more
Kerstin ~ (SheReadsByMoonlight)
This is a book, I only picked up because I read so many great things about it around Goodreads. And I'm so glad I did, because I loved it!

In "The Unsung Hero" you get pretty much three romances in the one book, that are all connected by an overall storyline.
The main romance is between Tom, a Navy SEAL lieutenant, who is visiting his hometown after an injury, and Kelly, a paediatrician. They pretty much grew up with each other and both had a massive crush on the other one but nothing ever really
Lisa Kay
4 stars. I must confess I liked it more that some people did. The flashback story to WWII didn’t bother me at all; in fact, I loved it! Go figure. I did expect a little more…of a climatic culmination at the end, but it was still very good. The love stories were excellent. ...more
Shelly
Jan 08, 2010 Shelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is my 2nd time reading/listening to this book, and I still love it! I think I've grown to love Tom even more, and although I like Kelly, I'm not entirely convinced she deserves him! There's actually three love stories involved, Tom and Kelly are the main couple. Tom's niece Mallory falls in love as well, with geeky but adorable David. And then the historical romance, something Brockmann is well known for putting in her books.

This time it's a three way between Tom's Uncle Joe, Kelly's dad Ch
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧•°**★❧ •°**★
4-4.5 SPLENDID STARS!

The book flows with intriguing storyline lots of action and a really BEAUTIFUL ENDING(s)

What's inside.....

Multiple POV, yay!

Tom & Kelly ~Sweet as all get out! Mallory & David~Adorable! Joe & Charles was a Bond of War Revealing a Love to Last Forever (over 60 years) Cybele...The Villian~Love Triangle with Joe and Charles, and I hated Cybele with a passion.

Flashbacks, *sad face*

Rapid shifts it took me awile to get use the flow, but gosh with each story-line shift
Stephanie
4 Steamy Stars... Great romantic suspense story- first book in series...

The first book of Suzanne Brockmann 's Troubleshooter series is entertaining - fast paced, romantic, suspenseful, and funny at points. This series was greatly enjoyed by some of my Goodreads friends and so I couldn't resist taking a peek! I am so glad that I did -- as this is probably not a book that I would have just picked up and I greatly enjoyed reading it and look forward to continuing on (have already got second in se
Wicked Incognito Now
I have seen Suzanne Brockmann raved about all over the romblogland. However, every time I go to check out her books I think...Navy SEALS? Suspense/thrillers? Multiple story arcs within the novels? Super long series that I need to backtrack and start from the beginning?

Bleh. Not my cup of tea.

But one too many blogger, bloggers whose tastes are similar to my own, sang her praises so I decided to give this first novel in the Troubleshooters series a try......

WHOA!

Can Suzanne Brockmann tell a story
Robin
Jan 18, 2016 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On a 30-day medical leave after suffering a head wound in the line of duty, Navy SEAL Lt. Tom Paoletti belives he recognizes The Merchant, a presumed dead international terrorist, at the airport. His superiors question his story, wondering if he is suffering from paranoia due to his head injury. As Tom tries to relax while visiting his great uncle Joe, he sees Kelly Ashton, a childhood friend he hasn't seen in years. As Kelly and Tom get reacquainted, they realize the chemistry that drew them to ...more
May 01, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iniziato appena è comparso sul mio kindle, letto anzi bevuto tutto in un sorso come un'assetata nel deserto! Si nel deserto dei brutti libri pubblicati ultimamente.
Un grande Romanzo non solo un Romantic Suspense!
Belli i personaggi principali, bella la storia dei due ragazzi, meravigliosa l'amicizia che lega i due vecchi reduci della seconda guerra mondiale.
Anche la parte Suspense vi terrà incollate fino alla parola Fine.
Inizio con il botto per questa serie i "Troubleshooters" che in patria ha mi
Rossy
Jan 05, 2010 Rossy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantic suspense fans
Recommended to Rossy by: Mrs. Soule
I almost want to shake myself for waiting so long to start this series. Fantastic story and can't wait to start the next book. I almost wish i can call in sick to work and just continue reading, but at least i'll be able to pick up the rest of the books i don't have at my bookstore today.
Wendy
Dec 21, 2011 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feb-12, jan-15
Loved it just as much the 2nd time around and can hardly wait to carry on with the series!
jenjn79
Michelle [Helen Geek]
I had a hard time - 3 or 3.5 stars and finally decided 3.5 stars.

This book was actually several stories wrapped together [not really, but this is what it seemed to me]. This book started out wonderfully. I was so excited and just knew I would have a 5 star read. What happened. Two things: 1) one story component got rather long winded and I got bored with it [tell you which one later] and 2) the H wasn't a bit of a pussy ... not Alpha enough.

Okay, the story lines I id'd:
1) Tom and Kelly. Their cu
Wendy F
I'm wavering between 3 and 4, so I'm going to go with 3.5. (Now, how to represent that in those little stars up there...)

This book contained so many little stories wrapped up in one. You had the friendship between Charles and Joe, which led to flashbacks of their time in WWII with a woman named Cybele. Than you had troubled Mallory and sweet David. And lastly, you had the main story between Tom and Kelly. Each story was a branch, that I think made a decent solid base for the book. The characters
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
What a pleasant surprise this book was! I only really picked it up because I needed a book starting with "U" for a challenge and I'm so glad I did.

On one level it is your garden variety romantic suspense with the added trope of second chance love. Where it excels is the three subplots woven skilfully together of past, present and future love with three generations of the Paoletti family, WWII veteran Joe, current Seal Tom and niece, wild child Mallory. Each romance is equally engaging and when
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
An enjoyable first time read of Ms. Brockmann's Troublemaker series. A lovely romantic suspense with a cast of personable characters and a multitude of plots that provided an overall engaging storyline. I'm looking forward to reading more in this series.
Lisazj1
Great start to a series I think I'm going to love! The flashbacks to the war were sometimes a bit too long for me but necessary to give the scope and breadth of the relationship between Joe and Charles.

Terrific action, characters and damn, the emotion! Right through the heart, made a cry a little at the end. Loved it!
Ian
Feb 14, 2012 Ian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Unsung Hero is a good book which had a few problems. The Ashton family and the Paoletti family have been linked since Joe Paoletti and Charles Ashton served together in occupied France during WW2. Tom Paoletti returns to his hometown where he runs headlong into Kelly Ashton the woman he loved and left many years earlier. She is recently divorced and looking to rekindle their relationship.
Perhaps the most interesting story in this book is that of Mallory Paoletti and David Sullivan. It's the
  • Time to Run (SEAL Team 12, #3)
  • Take No Prisoners (Black Ops Inc., #2)
  • Crazy Hot (Steele Street, #1)
  • Shoot to Thrill (Passion For Danger, #1)
  • On Thin Ice (T-FLAC #6)
  • Hot Zone (Elite Force #2)
  • Naked Truth (Dragon One #1)
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
Suzanne Brockmann was born in 1960. Married to Ed Gaffney, a lawyer and published writer. They have two grown children: Melanie, who is a personal trainer and author, and Jason, who is an actor and tap dancer. They divide their time between Boston, Massachusetts, Sarasota, Florida and New York City.

Published since 1993, Suzanne is widely recognized as one of the leading voices in suspense romance
More about Suzanne Brockmann...

Troubleshooters (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Defiant Hero (Troubleshooters, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, #3)
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
  • Into the Night (Troubleshooters, #5)
  • Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6)
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
  • Hot Target (Troubleshooters, #8)
  • Breaking Point (Troubleshooters, #9)
  • Into the Storm (Troubleshooters, #10)
  • Force of Nature (Troubleshooters, #11)

“You can't choose who you love, Kelly, but you can waste it. Why on earth would anyone want to waste it?” 7 likes
“As long as I’ve got a book, it doesn’t matter where I am. I can instantly be a million miles away, in a completely different place, on a different planet even. I can be someone else, you know? When it gets too complicated to be myself.” 7 likes