Start by marking “Spider-Man: Election Day” as Want to Read:
Spider-Man: Election Day

Spider-Man: Election Day (The Amazing Spider-Man #23)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  527 ratings  ·  22 reviews
It's the climax to a year's worth of Spider-Man stories as questions are answered and Spidey's new world is rocked to its core. Who's the person terrorizing people as Menace? Who's behind the Spider-Tracer Killings? Who's going to be the Mayor of New York City? Marc Guggenheim and John Romita Jr. have all the answers.
Collects Amazing Spider-Man #584-586 and material from S
Published January 27th 2010 by Marvel (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Spider-Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider-Man

Anne
Meh. The Obama and Lincoln special issues that get tacked on to the end are pretty painful to read. The rest of it is just ok.
Matt Chic
DISCLAIMER: The Obama issue --which is included in this trade-- was so bad (especially the art), I am baffled that Marvel (or anyone with ANY sense) would ever choose to release it! With their amazing arsenal of artists-- they went with Zebb Wells??!?! Was EVERY OTHER artist out sick that day, that no one else could do these nine pages?

That being said, everything else in ELECTION DAY is a top notch Spidey Brand-New-Day-era read, so I give it 5 stars.

You get Romita Jr. again on art duties, Gugg
Adam Gent
Spider-Man: Election Day
by Marc Guggenheim

Review by Adam Gent

A wounded and battered Spider-man finally faces off against the police and Menace.

To be honest I usually write a big review for books or comics but not this time. I had enjoyed the previous issues of Brand New day but the promises of Election Day just didn't deliver.

The inevitable face off against Menace was pretty quick and to be honest didn't really satisfy the long story which had been building it up. The story just seemed to floa
Jacobi
I think I'm starting to prefer Spidey on a team, and not all on his own. I got this, but just wasn't interested in reading it.

Think I'll get my fill of Spidey from the Avengers.
Mike
I'm sorry, but *this* is who they ended up choosing to play Menace after all this time? I gotta wonder if it was planned this way, or they half-assed it after some of the storylines had already been committed.

Dead giveaway that this was a shitty plot: they had to spend a whole issue explaining how this had all come about, and how all the previous plot fragments fit together. If this was self-explanatory I'd be willing to go along with the premise - as it is, I've had to swallow this broken glass
Fraser Sherman
Lee/Ditko it's not, but this was a fun read as the mayoral election in NYC leaves Spidey coping with both the supervillain Menace and the discovery Peter's roommate is "the spider tracer killer!" Though the President Obama election day story is even more fun.
Ernest
This volume is fine, but would be of most interest to those who have followed the larger storyline. As I have not, I had trouble getting into the depth the story truly deserved. Being familiar with the general history and direction of Spider-Man and the Marvel 616 universe in general really helped me as once again, Marvel demonstrated the interconnectedness of the 616 universe. The downside is that new(er) readers in particular stand a greater chance of being confused.

The Obama hype that surrou
James DeSantis
Why the hell was obama even on here? For one issue while the rest of the comic dealt with something way different? Very odd choice.
Sean
Sadly, this trade has the looks of a collection about Obama and the Presidential Election. Actually, what's inside is the the culmination of months of storylines mainly the NYC Mayoral election. In this we get to see the reveal of Menace, the election results, the spider-tracer killer revealed, and more. It was packed with action and JRJR was his normal awesome artistic self. Really great stuff. The other parts of the trade were just backup items for the most part with the high selling Obama iss ...more
Andrew Shafer
The main story was par for the course. The Menace reveal and the other characters reactions to it were great but the reveal about the spider-tracer killings was fairly lame though some of the stufff resulting from it was pretty cool.

The obama issue was interesting not great , or even really good but it was interesting.

The lincoln issue suffered from a terrible story surrounding the gettysburg address and horrible art, but including the entire address and making sure that they mentioned how linco
Travis
Yet another variation on the Goblin. *sigh* Overall not a very strong story arc. Maybe I would have felt more connection to some of the characters besides Spidey if I had read the issues preceding the ones collected here.

And the Obama story was only a single issue. I expected it to be longer with it being the cover and all. Actually glad it wasn't any longer since it wasn't very good. Then again, they couldn't really do much with an actual public figure, especially one as popular as Obama when h
Tony
Ties up a years worth of three-issues-a-month stories and does a good job of it. The whole run since the god awful 'One More Day' retcon has had a freshness to it - introducing new characters and putting new spins on characters we're familiar with. Excited to see what's next.
Kyle
This comic would have been so much better if it were all like the two issues at the end. Unfortunately, the fans and writers of super hero comic books take themselves way too seriously. As a result we get half-assed attempts at drama and a story that doesn't really go anywhere. Super hero comics would be so much better if they had the guts to be stupid and goofy. In the end, the whole concept of super heroes is stupid in and of itself and it would be better if these properties would be treated a ...more
Stolt-man
This was a very good wrap-up to many of the storylines that have been going on since the "reboot". Guggenheim and Romita Jr. were good choices to handle this story.
Andy
This storyline ties up a lot of the BND subplots and manages to do it in an interesting and realistic manner. It's an engaging story, surprising at times and with a satisfying conclusion. Plus the art by JRJ looks great. The tag on the end Obama story is pretty weak but not enough to bring it down.
Eric Mikols
Aside from the "extra" stories in the back, the rest of this volume was satisfying. Matt Murdock shows up, which makes me happy, the identiy of Menace is revealed and is a surprise, and the spider-tracer killer is caught. Good stuff, with plenty of plot-threads hanging for more.
Michael
An interesting reveal about the identity of a new Spidey villain as well as its implications for future stories is the highlight of this collection.

What isn't so welcome is the Spidey meets Obama story that takes place on inauguration day. It's weak.
Mike
Good solid book, with a terribly weird villain reveal and as always way too much exposition for what should be a scene where people do anything but stand around and vaguely emote at each other.
John
Liked: JR jrs art work, the police being behind the frame up on the Spidertracer killings, Daredevil as Spideys lawyer. Hated: the "reveal" of Menace as Lily, The loathsome Obama issue.
Shannon Appelcline
Nice to get some closure on several issues that have been running since the beginning of Brand New Day.
Thomas
The end felt a bit rushed but this is a satisfying end to a lot of long and complex story lines.
Ano
Ano marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
  • Spider-Man: The Gauntlet Book 4 - Juggernaut
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 8: Sins Past
  • Spider-Man: One Moment in Time
  • Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine

The Amazing Spider-Man (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Coming Home
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 7: The Book of Ezekiel
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 8: Sins Past
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 9: Skin Deep
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 10: New Avengers
Stephen King's N. Civil War: Wolverine Arrow Vol. 1 The Amazing Spider-Man: Kraven's First Hunt Wolverine: The Death of Wolverine