Start by marking “The Great Alone” as Want to Read:
The Great Alone

The Great Alone

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  411 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Through seven generations and two-hundred years, the Tarakanov family will carve civilizations out of an untamed wilderness. In the 18th century, she is forced to choose between her beloved Cossack, Andrei, and the future of the Aleut tribe. Zachar, fated to love the gorgeous, dangerous Raven of the rival Tinglets, will betray his tribe's greatest secret. Marisha runs away ...more
Published April 10th 1993 by Pocket Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Alone

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieThe Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman AlexieBeyond Oria Falls by Sheryl SealLove Medicine by Louise ErdrichCeremony by Leslie Marmon Silko
Native American Fiction
263rd out of 588 books — 543 voters
Gone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Thorn Birds by Colleen McCulloughThe Pillars of the Earth by Ken FollettLes Misérables by Victor HugoWar and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Big, Epic Historical Fiction
63rd out of 138 books — 143 voters

More lists with this book...

Bea
Mar 15, 2015 Bea rated it liked it
This is good if you're looking for a long story about generations of a family in Alaska, with lots of history thrown in. It goes clear back to when the Russians first started coming to the Aleutians for otter skins and ends around 1974 in Anchorage. I knew that the Japanese had occupied one of the Aleutian Islands, but I didn't know that there was combat fighting there. This is the first story I have read about that. I need to look it up and see how much is historically correct.
Denise
Aug 18, 2012 Denise rated it it was amazing
I read this book almost 20 years ago and still remember it well. The book covers several generations of women and their difficult lives in Alaska. One would think that a book that long would start to feel stagnant, but that is not the case. The lives of the characters weave right into each other and their situations are anything but repetitive. A great insight on what may have been a life in the wilderness a long time ago.
Vivian Mills
Apr 30, 2015 Vivian Mills rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read

This is a story about Alaska and a family of nine generations. The author provided an accurate historical account of events leading up to Alaska's statehood. The events are captivating. The characters, interesting.
Juli
Apr 07, 2015 Juli rated it really liked it
This book gives some good history of how Alaska was settled. I had no idea of Alaska's involvement in WWII. I read this when I was a young adult, not long after it came out. It was nice to read it again with a little more life experience under my own belt.
Judy Higgins
Jul 26, 2014 Judy Higgins rated it really liked it
I didn't know how little I knew about Alaska until I read this book. Even though the scope is huge, I was glad to catch a glimpse of its history.
Dee
Jul 24, 2016 Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WONDERFUL

This has to be one of the best books I've read this year. I simply could not put it down. This is a wonderful saga, spanning centuries, of the history of Alaska. I have always loved Janet Daily's work, but I think this was one of her best.
Sherry Wolf
Jul 14, 2016 Sherry Wolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very long book

Great history of Alaska. In depth stories of the native and their relationships with the invaders and then the settlers who came to make their fortunes in the vast territories. If you are a patient reader you will love this book.
Barbara Nivens
Jul 30, 2016 Barbara Nivens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better

I believe this was even better the second time. I had forgotten I read this when it came out the n paperback. She did a good job researching the Russian years through WW11 and really brought it too life. I just wish it was longer. Enjoy it yourself.
Kassie
Jun 29, 2016 Kassie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

I like to read historical fiction and was interested to see a book about Alaska and it's history. This was a good story weaving generations through the events of history. I enjoyed it.
Nae
Aug 28, 2015 Nae rated it it was amazing
One heck of an awesome book to read. I really knew very little about the Alaska that Russia built outposts in and then the ensuing years of American occupation. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Barbara
Mar 16, 2015 Barbara rated it it was ok
Overall not a great book, but it provided me with a decent 200-year summary of Alaska, most of which I wasn't aware of. I guess the average-ness of it was better than reading a dry, fact-filled actual history book.
Carole
Jul 25, 2016 Carole rated it it was amazing
excellent. I am an Alaskan fanatic. This went through 7 generations of the same family from way back before Alaska was ever thought of as a state.
Thea
Jul 07, 2015 Thea rated it it was ok
This book was recommended to me by one of our guides when we went to Alaska. I found it ponderous and very boring.
Ceil Garrison
Feb 09, 2015 Ceil Garrison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished about 8% of the book. An effort to read, as it didn't hold my interest. Sorry, not my cup of tea.
Valerie
Even tho I read so many years ago, I remember it as being one of my t four Dailey books. Loved this one.
Cherie
Mar 09, 2015 Cherie rated it really liked it
Like most people in the lower 48 I know very little about Alaska. This book did a great job weaving facts and history into a wonderful saga of adventure, conquests and rich heritage of this state.
Christine
Mar 01, 2015 Christine rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Great weave of historical information and a good tale!
Lea Jasper
Great at first but got bored half way through
Isabel Rogerson
Feb 20, 2015 Isabel Rogerson rated it really liked it
I am rereading this book which I read many, many years ago. It is a very interesting depiction of life in Alaska through several generations. Definitely worth reading again.
Eva
Aug 03, 2016 Eva rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the way the author wove the history of Alaska with the history of a single family.
Janice
Nov 12, 2012 Janice rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
This book took me along to to read! But I enjoyed it! It probably isn't the best source of 200 years of Alaskan history, but the characters are interesting. I enjoy books that have family trees and maps that I can keep looking back to in order to see where the characters are in time and place. This story also skips several years at times, and it is interesting to pick back up with these characters to see what has happened to them in the missing years.
Marissa
Jul 27, 2008 Marissa rated it really liked it
I read this book after I went to Alaska, its one of those books that makes more sense after you've visited the place of the book's setting. It gets a little complicated cause it follows through many generations of a family, but I also liked that about the book.

here's the cover of the book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-med...
Carol Billingsley
The history was interesting but it moved slowly. I was bored before I finally finished it.
SallyJo
Apr 08, 2016 SallyJo rated it really liked it
The first 3/4 of this book was wonderful. I got a very clear picture of how Alaska developed and the people who lived and died there through many, many generations. The last 1/4, however, was really boring. It dealt with Alaska's part in WWII. Most of that was details about military equipment, strategies, etc.; things that I'm just not that interested in.
Dorothy Mills
Mar 31, 2015 Dorothy Mills rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alaska

A long book. A great way to read the history of Alaska, through the lives of several generations. Very explicit sex, crude language, lots of violence.
Diane
Oct 31, 2015 Diane rated it it was amazing
The initial description of this book made me wonder if I would be able to enjoy it, but I found it to be a fascinating read! I was touched by many of the characters and as an Alaskan for many years, I learned much more about the history of this state on a personal level. I understand that it is out of print, but still available in e-book format.
Michael
Feb 13, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
I read the book a few years ago, I was about 12 or 13ish when I did and it took me forever to read it, I liked it a lot. thanks to my mom I read these books and read through all the troubles the native's went through and even got attacked by the Japanese in world war two. All around good book and I'd reread it if I got the chance
Myndi
Apr 13, 2012 Myndi rated it it was ok
It wasn't the book for me, which isn't to say it wasn't good. For those who really get into the historical aspect of things, they'd really like it. For me, the parts that got really in depth in the history of Alaska read more like a text book than a story. The parts that were more about the characters were really good.
Joanne
Jul 07, 2016 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
grrrrreat read- thoroughly enjoyed
Marjorie
Oct 22, 2011 Marjorie rated it really liked it
I liked this a lot. It is about the settlement of Alaska up thru world war two. I don't know how much of it is true, but it was very interesting.
  • A Dangerous Man
  • The Love Child
  • Outlander 8-Book Bundle
  • The Proud Breed
  • Once Upon a Kiss
  • The Rogue Prince (Regency Flings, #3)
  • Dream Groom: Brides of Bradley House
  • Princess of Fire (Fire, #1)
  • Once Upon a Dream (The Montegu Family, #2)
  • The Lady Is Tempted
  • One Sinful Night
  • My Gallant Enemy
Janet Anne Haradon Dailey was an American author of numerous romance novels as Janet Dailey (her married name). Her novels have been translated into nineteen languages and have sold over 300 million copies worldwide.

Born in 1944 in Storm Lake, Iowa, she attended secretarial school in Omaha, Nebraska before meeting her husband, Bill. Bill and Janet worked together in construction and land developme
More about Janet Dailey...