Start by marking “Istana yang Bergerak” as Want to Read:
Istana yang Bergerak

Istana yang Bergerak (Howl's Moving Castle #1)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  108,673 ratings  ·  6,244 reviews
"Aku selalu terganggu bila ada orang yang mencoba menandingi Nenek Sihir dari Waste," ujar is perempuan. "Aku datang untuk menghentikanmu. Nah."

Sophie Hatter sungguh-sungguh tak mengerti mengapa Nenek Sihir dari Waste menganggapnya saingannya dan mengutuknya. Memang ia hidup di Ingary, tempat hal-hal seperti sepatu bot ajaib dan jubah yang bisa membuat orang menghilang ben
Published July 2009 by PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Istana yang Bergerak, please sign up.

Marlee I personally find the book much better than the movie. If the book never existed, I would say the movie was beautiful on its own, but the book leaves…moreI personally find the book much better than the movie. If the book never existed, I would say the movie was beautiful on its own, but the book leaves it in the dust. A lot more story and characters, much more humor, and very easy to get lost in.
Overall, if you're more of an art and animation fan, the movie is the way to go. If you want more story, the book.
Not to mention there are two books that follow it that are also high up on my favorites list.(less)
Mai Ke I think the brown Colour fits better with the beginning of the Book and the Film. If he made her too beautiful and special from the start, he couldn't…moreI think the brown Colour fits better with the beginning of the Book and the Film. If he made her too beautiful and special from the start, he couldn't show the progress. In the Book you read what Sophie thinks of herself, and you tend to forget she is in Reality quite pretty. In the Film you see her the whole time, so he had to show this another way.(less)

Cara
Honestly what made me want to read this book was the movie. *gasp* I know, I know shouldn't do that. The movie was good (I am a fan of Hayo Miyazaki's films) and I wasn't disappointed in the book. As always much of the book wasn't put into the movie, but it was understandable because I imagine it would be hard to piece together a movie with all the components this story has.

To really grasp and understand the book I would suggest that it be read twice I think. Since I did watch the movie I wasn't
Catie
This book is completely magical and this is how I know:

On the fourth of July, we crammed ourselves into our car (my husband, mother in law, two girls, and I) and drove for over an hour to go see some fireworks. There was traffic almost the entire way, and I was jammed in the back in between two booster seats, which let me tell you – was not comfortable. I am a tall person and my knees basically alternated between being squished in between the two front seats, or slanted crazily off to one side.
Kat Kennedy
Jun 26, 2010 Kat Kennedy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a heart and half a brain
For some reason I've been reading a lot of really great books lately. I feel that itch to find something I can tear apart and relish in the destruction. However, Howl's Moving Castle didn't provide me with that opportunity.

It is an amazing and fantastic book. The characters are so very different, funny, quirky and lovable that I was sucked in right away. The storyline was intriguing and fun to read. The writing was quite good and the world was utterly fascinating.

If you've watched the movie then
Emma (Miss Print)
Before Hayao Miyazaki made "Howl's Moving Castle" into a feature length animated film in 2006 (2004 if you saw it in Japan), it was a book written by Diana Wynne Jones in 1986. Due to the inherent difficulties of creating an animated film, Miyazaki greatly abridged and adjusted the plot of the novel for his movie. I happened to enjoy both film and novel but after reading the book I realized that the plot is extremely different in the novel--enough that the book and movie become completely differ ...more
seak
I watched the movie, Howl's Moving Castle, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, when I was going through my anime phase, not to mention I'm pretty much always going through a Christian Bale phase. I loved it, of course, it was so odd and just plain weird, exactly why I enjoy anime so much.

This was quite a while ago, and it wasn't until just recently that I started reading reviews of the book by Diana Wynne Jones, so I ordered it right away. And, because my "to read" pile is enormous, it sat on my shelf f
Mariel
Feb 11, 2011 Mariel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: it still moves
Recommended to Mariel by: stillness is the move
I'd started writing this review yesterday. I had to quit because I was busy having one of my anxiety fits about using cliches, not saying what I really mean, unclear sentences, my bad grammar, blah blah. I worry about it so much that it is hard to write anything.

Howl's Moving Castle is one of those books that I wish I'd not read so I could read it again. That's a cliche, it's true, but it is true. A lot has been written about Howl's on goodreads so I'll try and say something beyond all of the t
Mark Lawrence
I read this to my daughter, Celyn (10), who is too disabled to read books by herself.

I had seen some of the anime film version years ago but remembered basically nothing of it.

I found the whole thing original and refreshing. The point of view character (Sophie) is engaging and no-nonsense with a very capable can-do attitude. The story moves along at a good pace and the whole moving castle / multiple doors thing is a great idea and used well.

The Welsh connection is well-played, and the continuing
Robin
Feb 28, 2009 Robin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy fairytales
This was a charming story. I've never read Diana Wynne Jones before and enjoyed it quite a bit. It reminded me a lot of Neil Gaiman's Stardust (although I did not like that one nearly as much). The character of Sophie Hatter was well done - I liked her wit and her "take no prisioners" attitude.

The supporting case was also good. I particularly liked Calcifier and his interactions with Sophie. As to Howl himself, there was no doubt in my mind his "true self" and I knew from the start where the tal
Gail Carriger
Howl's lingers with me because of the humor, because of the perfectly executed twisting plot, because of the snapping dialog. Diana is possibly the best writer of her generation but because she wrote mainly YA in a time before HP she was disregarded. You want to know what I think a book should be like? Read this one.
Erica (daydreamer)
March 26 2011. I just found out Diana Wynne Jones died today. The day I start reading my first book of hers. I don't know much about this author, I'm unfamiliar with her works, but I can feel people's loss, the fans of her writing. And I can still thank her for becoming the well known and loved writer she apparently was. She contribruted to the literary world that I love, and any author who can do this and write amazing fantasical novels earns my respect.

My review
3/27/11

Howl's Moving Castle is
Kristijan
Haulov pokretni zamak je izuzetno kreativna i šarena bajka koja čitaoce ne ostavlja ravnodušnim. Glavni likovi su izuzetno maštoviti i trodimenzionalni, a pejzaži kojima lutamo zajedno sa njima poprilično živopisni.
Čitaoci na momente mogu predvideti neke stvari, ali to ni u kom slučaju ne može da naruži lepotu ovog romana.
Dajem čistu peticu Haulovom pokretnom zamku, a na listu stavljam nastavak.
Šteta je što roman nije nešto naročito promovisan i popularizovan u Srbiji i što je tek nekih dvadese
isa
Leído para el 2015 Reading Challenge: #39. Libro con magia.

Como no tengo un canal en youtube,hablare sobre mi opinión acerca de la película y el libro.

Película , ¿Por qué primero?

Sólo voy a detallar como empece a saber sobre esto.
Un sabado por la noche me sentí mal, entonces mi mamá no le gusta que me quede dormida mucho tiempo por las mañanas, así que el domingo por la mañana me dejo que descansara, entonces prendí la tv, y no había nada como siempre entonces llegue a un canal llamado OnceTvMé
Hannah
After a good initial start, this story never took off the way I anticipated (and hoped) it might. The writing style was difficult for me to get caught up in, and I kept waiting for something enchanting and thrilling to happen. Unfortunately, after chapter 3, nothing did. At all.

While I appreciated some aspects of Wynne Jones fantasy building (the castle and it's doorway portals in particular), I don't see where she executed these ideas in any kind of sustained imaginative way. Apart from Howl (w
Keertana
At least no one can accuse me of not having read this book now. Howl's Moving Castle is probably the single most popular piece of children's fantasy, right after Harry Potter of course. I've heard endless praise for this series ever since it was first released but, for some reason or the other, I was never drawn to it. It seemed charming, but not much else. Well, as I expected, Jones's story is a charming, cute, and fun adventure novel with just the right amount of depth to be considered prevale ...more
Nikki
I don’t know how many times I’ve read this now, but it’s probably my favourite of Diana Wynne Jones’ work. I actually saw the Studio Ghibli adaptation first: it’s very different in some ways, but it still captures some of the ideas and tone. The thing I really loved, though, coming to the book after the film, was discovering all the Welsh background. The ‘saucepan song’, Howl’s family, his Welsh Rugby shirt, even some of the things he says — “there’s a welcome in the valleys”! As well as the Wel ...more
Mara
In many ways, I'm glad I read House of Many Ways before I read Howl's Moving Castle. It gave me an opportunity to decide which characters I really wanted to get to know in this one. Who wins? Well, Calcifer is still my favorite. He's even more adorable (as adorable as a fire demon can be, and he really is quite an adorable one) and hilarious than in House of Many Ways. Yes, Calcifer will always be my favorite.

But I love the other characters almost as much as he. Howl is one of the funniest "cowa
Loederkoningin

Yup, this picture pretty much sums it up: a colourful quirky little fantasy tale that brings back memories of bedtime stories.

I too watched the movie first, got curious and picked up the book. And however the Japanese did a splendid job at bringing Howl with his dangling earring and dazzling androgynous looks - and the castle, which is masterly designed - to life, I'm glad that the book has a much richer plotline. I love all the cute and imaginative elements. Compared to the book, the movie is
Elevetha
May 02, 2013 Elevetha rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who don't mind loose ends
Recommended to Elevetha by: Miss Clark
Well, I liked it. It could have used the opposite of editing which is something I rarely say. Things weren't there that should have been. Also the romance could\should have been handled better. It kinda went something like:

Howl: Hello, old lady.

Sophie: Hello, famous wizard.
*accusingly* You like young ladies, do you not?

Howl: Why yes, they are quite nice. You, however, are quite old. Clean my magical moving castle for me?

Sophie: Why not. You need to change me back into a young lady again anyway
Tania
I don't get what's so great about this book. I found it boring, the characters are meh and tbh how Wynne Jones draws out a storyline over 200 pages when they could cover 100 is completely pointless, and did I mention, boring.

I was interested in the introduction of Sophie and her sisters, but then the Witch of the Waste turns Sophie into a 90-year old lady and it just becomes boring. She joins Howl's Moving Castle and become a "cleaner" there after making a contract with the fire demon that powe
Becky
May 22, 2009 Becky rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Becky by: Fiona
This was a very fun, charming story. It really seems so simply written, yet read more than one line and you are a part of the action, not just watching it.

I really enjoyed Sophie, and feel like she is very human -- prone to snap judgments and bad decisions and she tends to underestimate herself. Howl is a very fun character, a bit of a "player" until his heart is stolen (literally).

I would like to check out the other books in the series, but this one does stand alone quite nicely. :)
Jessica
One of the best fantasies, and a clever mystery besides. Read it, for probably the 10th time, but this time I read it aloud to my 7yo. He loved it, though I did have to explain a few things. I would love a Calcifer of my own.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is a great story, full of wit and charm and adventure. It's a fantasy tale about Sophie who is turned into an old woman by the Witch of the Waste. Leaving her family's hat shop behind, she heads into the hills where Wizard Howl's moving castle has been wandering for a few weeks. She finds a way into the "castle" despite the stories that Howl eats young girl's hearts - she's no longer young, and so no longer afraid.

Howl is young and incredibly vain - he spends two hours in the bathroom befo
Beatriz
No sé cómo pude darle cuatro estrellas a este libro cuando se merece cinco. ¡Lo amo!

Por supuesto, descubrí el libro por la película de estudio Miyazaki, pero después de leerlo descubres que se parecen lo mismo que un huevo a una castaña. Normalmente, con cualquier otro libro/película, esto me hubiese reventado las tripas, pero tuve que hacer una excepción: cada historia es genial a su manera y adoro las dos versiones.

Con esta relectura me reafirmo en mi opinión: me encanta. Me encanta Howl, me e
Denisse
Jan 13, 2015 Denisse rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Denisse by: Aideeeee
Read for the 2015 Reading Challenge #3 A book that became a movie

3.5 I liked the book, it was funny and fast paced, but I saw a lot coming. Maybe the author waited too much to reveal the secrets. Anyway, I enjoyed the book, the characters were all very good, Calcifer and Michael being my favorites, but everyone is really interesting and different from the others. I guess if you want something light but with some mystery and you also want to have fun, you should pick this up.

Gracias a Aideeeee J
Nafiza
I watched the movie first. In fact, it was entirely accidentally that my cousin and I, in the midst of this loud, busy family reunion, came across the movie version and were completely sucked into the tale of Sophie, Howl and Calcifier. So when the movie was done and I sat back with a sigh and some sadness that another good thing had come to an end, I thought of reading the book to prolong the loveliness. Because everyone knows that books are always better, right?

In this case, the book was just
Tadiana ♕Part-Time Dictator♕
Update: Well that worked much better the second time around. I thought this YA fantasy was charming and original, though it was occasionally confusing, and I wished some things had been explained a little better. I really felt for Sophie, the main character, who feels so timid, trapped and hopeless that when she's hit with a curse that turns her into an old woman, it actually frees her in more ways than one. She leaves her dead-end job and, for lack of a better option, moves herself into the odd ...more
Violante
description

Ingary, un país en dónde la magia se respira en el aire, las botas de siete lenguas, las maldiciones y los objetos encantados son cosas de todos los días.

Sophie aceptó que las aventuras no son para ella, los hermanos mayores siempre terminan fracasando. Y por eso intenta hacer lo mejor para sus hermanas menores, incluso sacrificar su felicidad y quedarse como aprendiz en la tienda de sombreros de su padre. Las cosas van muy bien, los sombreros de Sophie son increíbles y comienzan a tener muchís
Amin
"سوفی گفت : "مرده است ؟"صدایی در ذهنش گفت : اما او که تا یه ساعت پیش زنده بود ! مرگ همین است . مردم زنده اند و ناگهان میمیرند !"
اوه نمیدونم چی بگم و چی بنویسم . اول از همه از ایده فوق العاده کتاب شروع میکنم . ایده ای که واقعا نو و تازه هست و درگیر کلیشه هایی که توی بسیاری از داستان ها دیدم نشده . یک قلعه متحرک که چند در داشته باشه که هرکدوم به یک سرزمین و حتی یک زمان دیگه باز بشه ! ووو ! عالیه .
در مورد داستان . با اینکه نثر بسیار ساده ای داره ولی عجیب دلنشینه . اتفاق ها با سرعت منطقی رخ میدن و
Regan
Loved it.
2015 Reading Chal...: Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones 12 52 May 21, 2015 01:31AM
Purple Elephants ...: Howl's Moving Castle (March 2015) 9 12 Apr 14, 2015 07:54AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine audiobooks 3 13 Mar 30, 2015 10:25AM
En Español, Please!: El Castillo Ambulante - (Marzo 2015) 1 7 Mar 04, 2015 06:02AM
movie or book 132 718 Feb 24, 2015 01:28PM
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • The Changeover
  • Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
  • The Perilous Gard
  • The Order of Odd-Fish
  • Summers at Castle Auburn
  • The Hero and the Crown (Damar, #1)
  • Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1)
  • The Dark is Rising (The Dark is Rising, #2)
  • The Changeling Sea
  • The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2)
  • Which Witch?
  • Keturah and Lord Death
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 1 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection, #1)
Diana Wynne Jones was the author of more than thirty critically acclaimed fantasy stories, including the Chrestomanci series and the novels Howl's Moving Castle and Dark Lord of Derkholm.

For Diana Wynne Jones's official autobiography, please see http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/aut...
More about Diana Wynne Jones...

Howl's Moving Castle (3 books)
  • Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)
  • House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3)
Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2) Charmed Life (Chrestomanci, #1) The Lives of Christopher Chant (Chrestomanci, #2) House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3) The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)

“I think we ought to live happily ever after.” 1176 likes