The LEGO Book

The LEGO Book

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  446 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Reveal, explore, and celebrate the fascinating LEGO story in The LEGO Book. From its beginnings in a carpenter's workshop and the development of the first plastic brick, to the group's current position as an international brand, a timeline highlights key moments in LEGO history.
Published October 5th 2009 by DK ADULT (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The LEGO Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The LEGO Book

Parxyr
What was fantastic about this book is entirely a subjective thing. This book, and its companion in the two-parter I picked up, were an interesting background on the history of Lego and purely a trip down nostalgia lane for me. If you were like me, and grew up on the blocks that Lego produces, then you'd be hard pressed to not have this on your shelf. You'll look through it and smile, that is a promise.
Kate
You can never go wrong with Lego. For all you die-hard Lego fans, this is the No#1 book to read! Here is your chance to read the complete illustrated history of the LEGO products that discusses the origins of the company, and the evolution of bricks, figures, play themes, and related products; and features a time line that records the introduction of the first plastic bricks to the LEGO products of 2012. I could spend hours looking at this book. Another awesome read that has the WOW factor and t...more
Mark
A wonderous coffee table book about Lego history & sets... a trip down memory lane in full color that makes me want to dig my giant box of Castle Legos out & start building again. :-)
Artiom Karsiuk
My childhood was very few things: professional wrestling, Dragon Ball Z and, of course, LEGO.
Those three things were the cornerstones of everything that mattered to a 10 year old Artiom: they were my world. And nostalgia is a motherfucker, because I am now 26 years young and still love all three of those things. Yes, nostalgia is not exclusive to old folk.
This book was everything I hoped it would be - just a fun little ride through the company's history in colorful pages and beautiful presentati...more
Kyle
A really nice coffee table book covering the history of TLG...
Morbus Iff
Greatest LEGO book ever: history, sets, culture.
Orsolya
Chances are you have played with Lego bricks in your lifetime. Whether it was simply building your own crazy, imaginative contraption with those bright-colored bricks; or assembling a large pirate ship per Lego directions. Maybe you’ve even been inside a Lego Store or Lego Land. Whatever your connection to Lego is, one can’t deny that Lego is a firm foothold in the toy world. Combining elements of building blocks, model sets, and puzzles; who doesn’t LOVE Lego?!

Daniel Lipkowitz’s “The Lego Book”...more
Zachary
First 20-30 pages included some nice history of Lego. The other 80% of the book was really pictures of lego sets. I certainly enjoyed the memories of sets I played with as a child; would've preferred more background information (creators, context, design decisions) about fewer sets. Is probably in another book somewhere.

The thing I'll remember were the '10 important characteristics' for 'LEGO System of Play' product development:
"""
- Unlimited play possibilities
- For girls, for boyds
- Enthusiasm...more
Kevin
What we have here is basically a 30-year history of the Lego minifigure showing its evolution up through figures that were released last year. And it's cool to sit there and browse through and reminisce about all the ones you used to have when you were young and the sets that came with them and the stuff you used to custom build for them.

My only issues are that it seems like some sets and figures were left out plus there were a couple factual errors that I saw. One I can't quite remember offhan...more
DJ
If you love Lego, get this book. It covers a LOT more than "The Ultimate Lego Book". Updated version. It still has the history/timeline of how Lego was created, but a LOT less focused on LegoLand, which bothered me in the The Ultimate Lego Book.

This book has updated on various collections, ultimate collections, movie collections, etc.

There were some things (charts, or MiniFig charts for example), that were extremely small, and I wish it was blown up to see the pictures of MiniFigs and how they...more
Kathy
great eye candy - need to get this again.
Brittnee
i didn't get read it
~*kath*~
Meh, the same as every other Lego history.
Tyb10
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!
!!!
!!!
!!!!!!
!!!!!!!
!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nicholas
An excellent background into a very large and popular toy company. I had a childhood full of LEGOs yet I knew nothing of the origins of this awesome and creative toy. Even though I never thought of LEGOs as my toys, they were always a way for creative output. The book I felt was rather informative, but written too simply, as if it was intended for a younger audience. This is the best and worst part of the book, pictures are great!
Eric
Maybe it's cheating to read a book like this, but I probably read it 2 or 3 times as it floated around the house. The history of Legos is amazing. Somewhere in the early 90's the beauty that was the minimalism and almost forced creativity that Legos challenged us with began to disappear. It's in the book. Them Scandinavians with there's IKEA's and LEGOS and such are mighty smart, fine-thinkin', sinister folks!
Nick
This one was better than the mini-figure one - it has a nice overview of the history of Lego and how it's made, as well as memorable sets and collections. Yep, I'm a sucker for Lego...

I recognized a bunch of mine! I had the ice planet dudes, a bunch of pirate stuff, one of the best castles, I even had an entire port (they didn't show that one).
Amanda
For LEGO fans, this book is a must-see! It's amazing to see the evolution of the bricks, the sets and read about how they are made and about different ways sets are designed. We learned about Creator sets from reading this and bought one as a gift which has been great fun. I think the Technic sets will also be ones to seek out in the future.
Holly Procida
This book makes me regret getting rid of all my kids' toys! I now eagerly look forward to collecting toys for my nieces and nephews and grandchildren to have to play at my house, when we finally move closer to everyone so they will visit!
Wt
Jan 10, 2012 Wt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: lego
I love this book and the mini-figure book that accompanies it. Basically it is a "wish list" in book form for all those wonderful LEGO sets you either had as a kid or didn't see the first time they were out when you were older.
Jo
A must for any boy who loves Lego. It's such a cool pair of books. Shows you all the mini figures they have created and all of the different lego series' that they've released. SUch a cool set of books.
aaron
okay...an entire book with beautiful pictures about the whole history of lego, from their beginnings to the wonderful plastic bricks that are now part of history. do i need to say anything else?
Duncan Irvine
Good fun and a great trip down memory lane.
Alicia
If you like Legos, this is a nice overview of the history of the various sets. Excellent photography but clearly corporate-vetted writing. 2.5 rounded up.
Heather
The most awesome book ever! Interesting history of Lego toys as well as great pictures of thematic sets like Harry Potter and Star Wars.
Taruia
Apr 17, 2013 Taruia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: general
It is a book, it is about Lego. It isn't in depth but is a cracking read and lots of pictures. Sorry, did I mention it was about Lego?
Andrea
Our boys just discovered the world of legos and they liked looking at all of the different sets of legos and at all of the possibilities.
Adam
Fun coffee-table book showing the history and scope of Lego. It's not great literature or anything, just fun to browse through.
Jack L.
This book was just for fun. This book is about how the Lego was invented and it shows a lot of the different models.
Ingrid
Just what you want in a LEGO book. A little history and lots of detail. I just hope the DK bindi holds up.
  • Lego Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary [With Mini Figure]
  • The Art of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
  • The Art of Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
  • Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
  • The Art of Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
  • The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing: Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Made Easy
  • Incredible Cross-Sections (Stephen Biesty's Cross-sections)
  • Brick by Brick: How LEGO Rewrote the Rules of Innovation and Conquered the Global Toy Industry
  • Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide Special Edition
  • Into the Unknown: How Great Explorers Found Their Way by Land, Sea, and Air
  • Boy, Were  We Wrong About Dinosaurs!
  • Skippyjon Jones: Color Crazy
  • The Brilliant World of Tom Gates (Tom Gates, #1)
The Lego Ideas Book: Unlock Your Imagination Lego Batman: Visual Dictionary (Lego DC Universe Super Heroes) Lego Play Book: Ideas to Bring Your Bricks to Life Lego Minifigure Year by Year: A Visual History LEGO Star Wars: The Yoda Chronicles