The Art of Deception

The Art of Deception

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Art historian Nicholas Ochterlonie is the very model of a modern English gentleman, with a perfectly ordered life. But when his wife inexplicably demands a divorce, he finds himself diving into uncertainty like a junkie with a new drug. Soon he is risking his professional reputation, breaking the law, and embarking on a delirious affair with the mysterious Julian, beautifu...more
Published December 16th 2009 by Felony & Mayhem (first published May 31st 1999)

Géraldine
Feb 04, 2013 Géraldine rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: people who enjoy life on the edge
Recommended to Géraldine by: bookstore
This book is one of those windows into peoples lives which give one the feeling that within everyone is a dark side, a vulnerable side, and a weak persona. I gave it a 3 because I thought it lacked a strong climax and seemed to be lacking strong ending until the very end. I am glad I read it. It made me think about how the things evolved and how what one sees isn't exactly what is. It is one of those books you wonder later if you misunderstood it and you go back and reread it. Something you can'...more
Taegan
I'm not moving through this one super fast...and I keep debating on whether I like the story enough to continue. It is sort of bizarre & the moral character/choices of the characters are not totally likeable...so I don't feel very endeared to them.

I'll probably finish it anyway but...I wouldn't necessarily recommend you pick up.

------
I finished this today (02.14). It took much longer for the story to unravel than I cared for. And the end was really unsatisfying. Made trudging through the sto...more
Susan
The questions that this book ask are about truth. What is it? How can we know it? Nicholas Ochterlonie, a sometimes art historian in London questions the attribution of a famous Vermeer portrait. At the same time he becomes involved with a woman, Julian Bennet, who seems to be threatened by the Russian mob. The book shows how evidence is gradually accumulated that seems to reveal the truth. Or does it? The unfolding of both mysteries is fascinating with some interesting details on the world of a...more
One of the more unusual mysteries I have ever read. I did NOT expect the ending (and Elizabeth Ironside truly threw in a twist at the very last sentence) and I enjoyed knowing from the beginning that the details were all going to be laid out for the reader to solve (which I didn't). The story was odd and intriguing yet at times boring. But, the ending made it all seemed far more exciting.
Margaret
It dragged in a few places, and while the end is supposed to be a twist/cause you to question the rest of the book, it was not compelling enough to re-read to find clues to answer. She is deft with evoking a time and place/class in London.
Jayne Ekins
2-1/2 stars.
The enduring question I take away from this is, "Is physical attraction really that strong of a force? Do people really do these things just based on physical attraction?"
Anita
I thought the book moved slow at times. and some of the writing/spelling was odd to me. ie..connexion? for connection
but it had a great twist at the end, so I'm glad I stayed with it.
Charlotte Sanders
The characters are not fully believable, but the mystery is fun to unravel, the story moves along nicely, and all in all it's an enjoyable read. Also, the art history bits are fun.
Carol
Just wasn't as interested in the Russian Mafia backstory, and the middle part of the book was on the slow side. I still like this mystery writer, though...
Whitney Ostrander
The books has it's highs and lows. Part of the book was hard to read through but other than that it was a good book. I'm not sure yet if I'd buy it.
I REALLY enjoyed this book- especially the unexpected twist at the end!
Margaret
Finished this one, but barely. I just wasn't worth my interest.
Noel
Art and murder and our perception of both, what more could you want?
Lorenzo Jacques
Lorenzo Jacques marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Molly Mahony
Molly Mahony marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Pamela Kern
Pamela Kern marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Hannah
Hannah added it
Sep 10, 2013
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
Joye
Joye marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Connie Steckel
Connie Steckel marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
Bev Hankins
Bev Hankins marked it as to-read
May 11, 2013
Judy
Judy is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2013
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Elizabeth Ironside is the pseudonym of Lady Catherine Manning, wife of the British Ambassador to the U.S. Her first novel won Britain’s John Creasey Award for Best First Mystery of 1985, and Death in the Garden was nominated for Britain’s CWA Gold Dagger for Best Mystery of 1995.
More about Elizabeth Ironside...
Death in the Garden Accomplice A Very Private Enterprise A Good Death