Start by marking “The Art of Deception” as Want to Read:
The Art of Deception

The Art of Deception

Art historian Nicholas is the very model of a proper English gentleman. A chance encounter, however, plunges Nicholas into both romantic obsession and the international market in forged and stolen art.
Published December 1st 2009 by Felony & Mayhem (first published May 31st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Deception

Géraldine
Feb 04, 2013 Géraldine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy life on the edge
Recommended to Géraldine by: bookstore
This book is one of those windows into peoples lives which give one the feeling that within everyone is a dark side, a vulnerable side, and a weak persona. I gave it a 3 because I thought it lacked a strong climax and seemed to be lacking strong ending until the very end. I am glad I read it. It made me think about how the things evolved and how what one sees isn't exactly what is. It is one of those books you wonder later if you misunderstood it and you go back and reread it. Something you can' ...more
Taegan
Feb 10, 2010 Taegan rated it did not like it
I'm not moving through this one super fast...and I keep debating on whether I like the story enough to continue. It is sort of bizarre & the moral character/choices of the characters are not totally likeable...so I don't feel very endeared to them.

I'll probably finish it anyway but...I wouldn't necessarily recommend you pick up.

------
I finished this today (02.14). It took much longer for the story to unravel than I cared for. And the end was really unsatisfying. Made trudging through the sto
Susan
Sep 27, 2011 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The questions that this book ask are about truth. What is it? How can we know it? Nicholas Ochterlonie, a sometimes art historian in London questions the attribution of a famous Vermeer portrait. At the same time he becomes involved with a woman, Julian Bennet, who seems to be threatened by the Russian mob. The book shows how evidence is gradually accumulated that seems to reveal the truth. Or does it? The unfolding of both mysteries is fascinating with some interesting details on the world of a ...more
May 14, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
One of the more unusual mysteries I have ever read. I did NOT expect the ending (and Elizabeth Ironside truly threw in a twist at the very last sentence) and I enjoyed knowing from the beginning that the details were all going to be laid out for the reader to solve (which I didn't). The story was odd and intriguing yet at times boring. But, the ending made it all seemed far more exciting.
Margaret
Sep 02, 2009 Margaret rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It dragged in a few places, and while the end is supposed to be a twist/cause you to question the rest of the book, it was not compelling enough to re-read to find clues to answer. She is deft with evoking a time and place/class in London.
Noel
Feb 14, 2010 Noel rated it really liked it
Art and murder and our perception of both, what more could you want?
Nov 13, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I REALLY enjoyed this book- especially the unexpected twist at the end!
Whitney Ostrander
The books has it's highs and lows. Part of the book was hard to read through but other than that it was a good book. I'm not sure yet if I'd buy it.
Carol
Jun 23, 2010 Carol rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, british
Just wasn't as interested in the Russian Mafia backstory, and the middle part of the book was on the slow side. I still like this mystery writer, though...
Anita
I thought the book moved slow at times. and some of the writing/spelling was odd to me. ie..connexion? for connection
but it had a great twist at the end, so I'm glad I stayed with it.
Margaret
Finished this one, but barely. I just wasn't worth my interest.
Charlotte
The characters are not fully believable, but the mystery is fun to unravel, the story moves along nicely, and all in all it's an enjoyable read. Also, the art history bits are fun.
Jayne Ekins
Dec 26, 2012 Jayne Ekins rated it it was ok
2-1/2 stars.
The enduring question I take away from this is, "Is physical attraction really that strong of a force? Do people really do these things just based on physical attraction?"
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2009
Molly
Molly rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2010
John
John rated it it was ok
Jul 19, 2014
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2010
Dianelw
Dianelw rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Susan Goldner
Susan Goldner rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2012
John
John rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2016
Lyss
Lyss rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2008
Marina Kaplan
Marina Kaplan rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2014
Nicky
Nicky rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Cokie
Cokie rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Valorie Rivero
Valorie Rivero rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Sarah rated it did not like it
Jul 23, 2015
Mollie
Mollie rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2012
Witt
Witt rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2010
Elizabeth Ironside is the pseudonym of Lady Catherine Manning, wife of the British Ambassador to the U.S. Her first novel won Britain’s John Creasey Award for Best First Mystery of 1985, and Death in the Garden was nominated for Britain’s CWA Gold Dagger for Best Mystery of 1995.
More about Elizabeth Ironside...