The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,155,662 ratings  ·  55,091 reviews
A spellbinding amalgam of murder mystery, family saga, love story, and financial intrigue.

It's about the disappearance forty years ago of Harriet Vanger, a young scion of one of the wealthiest families in Sweden . . . and about her octogenarian uncle, determined to know the truth about what he believes was her murder.

It's about Mikael Blomkvist, a crusading journalist rece...more
Published September 16th 2008 by Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group (first published August 2005)

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownEclipse by Stephenie Meyer
Books I wish I had never read
17th out of 766 books — 838 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Books I'm Glad I Didn't Miss
10th out of 212 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Beth F.
Swedish people are nuts! I realize that’s a bit of a broad generalization and it sounds a bit rude, but I don’t care. Because more often than not, I’m nuts too.

I was born and raised in Minnesota, and if you know our state history, you’re already aware that we were predominantly settled and populated by Swedish (and Norwegian) immigrants. So not only are many Minnesota residents of Scandinavian descent, myself included, a lot of our quirky mannerisms and even our accents are commonly attributed t...more
Brad
I've heard and read many complaints about Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo:

1. It's misogynistic.
2. It's packed with cliché.
3. It's too convoluted.
4. It's too disturbing.
5. Lisbeth wasn't autistic enough or was foolishly autistic.
6. There were too many red herrings, and the damn Nazi red herring didn't have the usual payoff.
7. Too/Two many plots.
8. Too hard on Leviticus.

I will answer these in a moment, but first I must declare that I am an unrepentant fan of this book. This is...more
Sparrow
Jun 21, 2012 Sparrow rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NOT Elizabeth
Recommended to Sparrow by: every person in the whole wide world
Women are raised to routinely fear rape.

“If you go at night, take a friend.” “Check under the car and in your backseat before you get in.” “I’m just saying it’s a good idea to know where the exits are.” “I got you this whistle for your keychain, you know, just so you have it.” “You were an hour later than I thought you’d be! We called the police!” “Oh, that’s pepper spray; I keep it with me just in case.” “I just make sure I get my keys out and check for other weapons if I’m getting off work lat...more
Madeline
After having leaped onto the bandwagon with the rest of everyone, I feel a certain amount of pretentious indie pride saying that I wasn't as awed by this book as everyone else apparently was. Which is not to say that the book wasn't enjoyable and exciting; it just didn't knock my socks off whilst simultaneously blowing my mind and rocking my world. (that sounds like either some great song lyrics or a very complicated sexual maneuver. Let's go with the first option.)

So, the good stuff: the main s...more
Sarita
Ivanna S.
I really don't understand the critical orgasms over this book. Amazon pushed it on me for weeks, and the minute I stepped into Borders an employee ran over and recommended it. Thinking, this really better be the best book I've ever read, I took it up to the checkstand, where the register guy asked: "Did one of our employees recommend this?" Um, yeah. And Amazon, too. So of course I asked him why.

"Oh," he replied, "we've been told to recommend it this week." That should have tipped me off right...more
Tatiana
The original Swedish title of this book is "Men Who Hate Women." If you ask me, it suits this story much better than catchier but less relevant "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," because it is in fact about men doing all kinds of horrid things to women. So here is the first warning to you, if you don't handle violence against women and children well, skip this novel.

It's hard to give a short synopsis of the book. "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" starts off as an investigation of a 40-year old...more
Kristy
I HATED this book. I don't understand all of the good reviews that are coming in on it. I hated the characters, the plot was thin - ugh. I can't believe I read the whole thing.
Kelli Marko
El
He slapped her hard. Salander opened her eyes wide, but before she could react, he grabbed her by the shoulder and threw her on to the bed. The violence caught her by surprise. When she tried to turn over, he pressed her down on the bed and straddled her.

That's just to give you a little taste of what one is dealing with by picking up this book. If you can handle that and the previous x amount of paragraphs and the following x amount of paragraphs, you're golden. If that sort of makes that thing...more
Dan Schwent
Disgraced journalist Mikael Blomkvist is hired to solve the decades-old murder of Harriet Vanger, member of one of the wealthiest families in Sweden. Aided by a tattooed, antisocial hacker named Lisabeth Salander, Blomkvist unearths horrible skeletons lurking in the Vanger family closet...

For a few years now, I've been avoiding The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Since so many people told me I just had to read it, many of them non-readers, I assumed it was a lot of over-hyped, dumbed-down crap. Wel...more
Riku Sayuj
Feb 03, 2014 Riku Sayuj rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Riku by: Isaac Varghese, Vikram Johri
Shelves: genre-fiction, r-r-rs

Larsson takes what seemed at the outset to be a juicy 'locked-island-mystery plot' and turns it first into an insightful family saga and then into a scathing political and social commentary that forces us to think about such a wide variety of themes and aspects that we normally refuse to accept as part of society. It takes an author like Larsson to shove it in our faces in all its stinking ugliness for us to stop turning the blind eye at these atrocities.

Do not mistake this for a mere fictional...more
Anthony
Nataliya

Thanks to the slew of Swedish and Hollywood movies, everyone knows that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a story of a kickass hacker Lisbeth Salander who has the eponymous tattoo and a knack for solving decades-old murders.

Well, not exactly. Lisbeth is awesome and badass, no doubt there, but this book is so much more than just her story, and focusing solely on that undermines the message Stieg Larsson was sending.

The original Swedish title is Men Who Hate Women and it is precisely what the...more
La Petite Américaine
Nov 16, 2008 La Petite Américaine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nicole / Mystery Buffs / Summer Readers
**Dude, I just watched the Swedish film "När mörkret faller" (When Darkness Falls), a crappy movie about violence in Stockholm. But it made me think back to this book, which constantly refers to stats about violence against women in Sweden. Something is seriously up in Sweden. Gives me the creeps even more than Swtizerland.**

Wow. 500+ pages and entertaining right up to the last sentence? Lingers in the mind long after the book is finished? Geez. I didn't think it could be done in today's fiction...more
karen
we are in low-three land here. but at least i am learning things about sweden! for example: ladies in sweden just kind of shrug off sexual abuse! they are rape-teflon! this i am learning from the facts provided at the beginning of chapters, and from various characters' reactions to events. they just brush themselves off and go back to eating sandwiches. yes, that is another thing i learned: the swedes eat sandwiches. exclusively. if you excise every occurrence of the words "coffee" and "sandwich...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Sep 08, 2009 Shannon (Giraffe Days) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shannon (Giraffe Days) by: Kiwiria
In 1966 sixteen-year-old Harriet Vanger, daughter of the CEO of the large family-run Vanger Corporation, goes missing from her family's island community and is never seen again. Not even a body is found, and her great uncle, Henrik Vanger, has explored every possible lead to discover what happened to his one and only favourite family member.

Over the last forty years her disappearance has become Henrik's obsession, and he's positive someone in the family murdered her - but they never found a moti...more
Joel
ode to a dragon-tattooed girl

shall i compare thee to a cinematic adaptation of one of my favorite books?
thou art more genuine and less mass marketable.
rough cgi does shake my sense of disbelief,
and the movie's adaptation hath all too short a running time.
sometimes too overemphasized the plot and action sequences,
and often the depth of character dimmed.
and every sequel from prequel's quality declines,
by chance, or budgets allowed to expand, untrimmed.
but thy entertainment value shall not fade
nor...more
rachel
Nilesh Kashyap
A good book that got screwed up due to poor writing
Keeping in mind that the only crime/mystery novels I have read are novels by Dan Brown and novels dealing with financial matters are the ones by Jeffrey Archer, on this basis I can say that this book was a cross between their book but not at par with either, inferior to both.

The premise of the story is not so simple:
Meet Mikael Blomkvist, a journalist of financial sectors, but today his accusations against industrialist Hans-Erik Wennerstrom ar...more
Wealhtheow
Jul 15, 2010 Wealhtheow rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wealhtheow by: greg
Journalist Mikael Blomkvist is charged with libel and decides to take some time off from his magazine. Instead, he works to find what happened to Harriet Vanger, the young niece of a wealthy CEO. Meanwhile, punky hacker Lisbeth Salander has her own investigations, which presumably eventually have something to do with Blomkvist and the Vanger family. I don't know, because I couldn't bear to finish this. It usually takes me about a day to read a book. It took me an entire month to slog through les...more
Manny
One of the best thrillers I've ever read. Great story, great characters, very intelligent and thoughtful. Writing is nothing special but it doesn't need to be.

___________________________________________

I finally saw the movie a couple of days ago, and I'm a bit conflicted. On the plus side, it conveys the feel of the book very well, and several of the main characters are excellently realized. I particularly liked Lisbeth, who was just perfect. But they have taken some enormous liberties with the...more
Huda Yahya

أصابني شعور يشبه ما قد يعتريك إن حُبست في فريجيدير أصلي ملآن بالطعام
فلا تستطيع الأكل ولا التنفس

وكل ما تشعره هو البرد والحسرة على كل هذا الطعام المرصوص بتناسق جمالي
Felicia
A book on the "Faves" shelf, long time no see! This book is soooo good. I love it so much, the characters are unique, flawed, compelling, the mystery is fascinating. I can't recommend this book higher to lovers of mystery and interesting characters.
Paul

Editorial meeting of Bryant Reviews Ltd
Topic : book 1, Millennium series

- Is everyone here?
- We should start anyway.
- Okay, well, we have to figure out how to review this damned Dragon Tattoo book. The problem is, everyone and his dog has already reviewed it, and seen the movie. Movies. What’s left to say?
- Well, you could say the same thing about Dickens.
- All due respect, Larsson is not no Dickens.
- True dat.
- True dat? Who are you, gangsta-reviewer?
- What about the sandwiches and coffee?
- ?
-...more
Dirk Grobbelaar

Too many possibilities.

I try not to fall prey to hype. Normally, when a book has received as much exposure as The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I will wait until the dust well and truly settles before even attempting to read it. However, this year it was part of the have-to-read agreement with my wife. So…

…was the hype justified? Well. Honestly? Yes. And No. It is a pretty good crime thriller, but it took me till page 347 (literally) to realize it.

Some Cons

The book starts off interminably dry an...more
Sandy Tjan
When I think of Swedish industry, I think of IKEA, Volvo and Erricson. After reading this novel, I also think of the Vangers, whose secrets are darker than just the usual corporate sin of fake accounting, money laundering or embezzlement. Mikael Blomkvist is a muckracking financial journalist who has just been convicted of libelling an industrialist, whom he had accused of corruption. In his nadir professionally, he accepts an unusual assignment from Henrik Vanger, the 82-year old patriarch and...more
مصطفي سليمان

مع انت الاربعه عندي
ليه؟
لاني بطلت اتفرج علي فيلم قبل ما...more
Mark

I haven't had as much time for book reading lately, so it was sheer pleasure to have this page-turner to keep returning to. A financial charlatan, a serial killer, a libel trial, a hacker, an open marriage, an ancient mystery -- all that and more are wrapped up in this complex, evocative thriller.

The key characters are Mikael Blomkvist, a muckraking financial journalist who thought he had uncovered shenanigans by a shady financier, only to find out he had been set up, resulting in a libel convic...more
Kemper
I’ve been hearing a lot about how good the Swedish mystery writers are, and if this book is any indication, I’m moving to Stockholm and learning the language because I want to get close to the source.

I’m usually wary when the hype around a book reaches huge proportions and this novel has been a worldwide phenomenon even before I started seeing it all over the bookstores here in America. But this is one example of when the furor is justified.

There are two main characters. Mikael Blomkvist, a vet...more
  • One Step Behind (Wallander, #7)
  • Fludd
  • The Draining Lake (Inspector Erlendur #6)
  • The Redbreast (Harry Hole, #3)
  • Boom!
  • The Elephant Tree
  • The Coma
  • Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1)
  • Skagboys
  • The Messenger (Gabriel Allon, #6)
  • The Locked Room (Martin Beck #8)
  • When the Devil Holds the Candle (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #4)
  • Faithless (Grant County, #5)
  • Shutter Island
  • Queenpin
Stieg Larsson (born as Karl Stig-Erland Larsson) was a Swedish journalist and writer who passed away in 2004.

As a journalist and editor of the magazine Expo , Larsson was active in documenting and exposing Swedish extreme right and racist organisations. When he died at the age of 50, Larsson left three unpublished thrillers and unfinished manuscripts for more. The first three books ( The Girl With...more
More about Stieg Larsson...
The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium, #3) The Millennium Trilogy La ragazza che giocava con il fuoco 1 (Millennium, #2-1) 밀레니엄 1 상: 여자를 증오한 남자들 (Millennium 1: Phase Millennium: The men hate women)

“Friendship- my definition- is built on two things. Respect and trust. Both elements have to be there. And it has to be mutual. You can have respect for someone, but if you don't have trust, the friendship will crumble.” 1947 likes
“What she had realised was that love was that moment when your heart was about to burst.” 931 likes