Start by marking “Cricket Never Does: A Collection of Haiku and Tanka” as Want to Read:
Cricket Never Does: A Collection of Haiku and Tanka

Cricket Never Does: A Collection of Haiku and Tanka

A collection of more than fifty original haiku and tanka verses about the four seasons helps us appreciate the nature around us.
Published April 1st 1997 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Cricket Never Does, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cricket Never Does

Samra
Dec 18, 2015 Samra rated it liked it
Shelves: school, library
simple, nothing too complicated
Dolly
May 08, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their older children
This is a collection of Japanese poems, in the form of haiku and tanka, that celebrate the four seasons of the year. The poems are nature-focused, as is typical for these kinds of poems, and they are certainly thought-provoking. There are few illustrations, and while it is a short book, younger children might tire of these poems rather quickly. Our girls enjoy poetry books, and we still took our time reading them.

This book was selected as one of the books for the June 2013 - Poetry discussion at
Bridget R. Wilson
May 09, 2009 Bridget R. Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-poetry
Livingston divides her collection of 67 haiku and tanka into the four seasons. Her poetry makes the reader look at nature with new eyes as she presents images in innovative ways. Bougainvillea becomes a mask for graffiti. Trees become castles and havens (as Anne Shirley would want them to be). Fall floras watch over streets. Leaves huddle and the moon is a canoe.

What I thought: Haiku is meant to capture moments in time. These certainly do. I find haiku to be a challenging form from a writer's pe
Linda
I was delighted to find this older book at a favorite used bookstore by Myra Cohn Livingston filled with her beautiful haiku and tankas. Because I’m been trying to write in these new forms, it felt like the book was waiting for me. It’s divided by seasons, and in each, one can find such images that almost seem celebrated. I will share just a line from each season: Spring-‘shiny colored tents’ (umbrellas in rain), Summer-about bees-‘in their orange-and-black striped sweaters’, Fall – leaves – ‘t ...more
Tawny
Nov 10, 2009 Tawny rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Favorite lines: 1. "Ocean, how do you / know when to curve and make of / the earth a round ball?"
2. "Even the moon lies / on its back, rolling over / to stare into space."
3. "Slowly the ocean / sucks in its breath, letting it / out with a gurgle."
4. "One by one, circling / down to earth, these yellow birds, / these frail, falling leaves."
Chris
Apr 17, 2010 Chris rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Some of the poems have great images. My favorites were "Along the railroad tracks" and "Bougainvillea spills" from the section on spring. Though good, only a few of Livingston's poems carry the feeling of Japanese poetry.
Victoria Clay
Apr 23, 2012 Victoria Clay rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature, poetry
This book would be great to use to introduce a poetry unit on haikus. It also is divided into seasons so it could be used to explore the different seasons. It is a great way to get students thinking about their own haikus.
Tracy
Jun 27, 2012 Tracy rated it liked it
I liked this because it gives a variety of examples of haiku, but I did have to look up tanka to understand that form of poetry.
Selena Fornander
Oct 12, 2010 Selena Fornander rated it liked it
Shelves: 1st-quarter
It was a funny little peotry book. This book is a good little book you can read in a short time for your peotry books
M. Kei
M. Kei rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2012
Susan Scully
Susan Scully rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2014
Star Esparza
Star Esparza rated it really liked it
May 16, 2008
Katherine
Katherine rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Alyson
Alyson rated it liked it
May 10, 2013
Ciara
Ciara rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2009
Sydney Sandstrom
Sydney Sandstrom rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Ogreart Art
Ogreart Art rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2009
Ilfat
Ilfat rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Pat Morris
Pat Morris rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Karin Senczysyzn
Karin Senczysyzn rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2008
Kaulin
Kaulin rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2011
SamZ
SamZ rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2007
Shant
Shant rated it it was ok
Dec 15, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2009
Violet
Violet rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2012
Cynebeald
Cynebeald marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2011
Kima
Kima added it
Oct 05, 2011
Wendy
Wendy added it
Feb 02, 2012
Amy Steinbrook
Amy Steinbrook marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2012
Ameel
Ameel marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2013
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
May 08, 2013
Jaleen Kinser
Jaleen Kinser marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
Molly
Molly added it
Aug 08, 2013
Emma
Emma added it
Feb 06, 2014
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Virginiamichelle
Virginiamichelle marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Audri Balyeat
Audri Balyeat marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Grace Ong
Grace Ong marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Barb Smith
Barb Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Myra Cohn Livingston was born in Omaha, Nebraska. Her family moved to California when she was 12 years old. She studied the French horn from age 12 to age 20, becoming so good that the Los Angeles Philharmonic invited her to join them when she was 16 years old. She had other plans. She knew she wanted to write.
More about Myra Cohn Livingston...