Start by marking “Reset: How This Crisis Can Restore Our Values and Renew America” as Want to Read:
Reset: How This Crisis Can Restore Our Values and Renew America

Reset: How This Crisis Can Restore Our Values and Renew America

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  20 reviews
“This is the end of the world as we’ve known it,” Kurt Andersen writes in Reset. “But it isn’t the end of the world.” In this smart and refreshingly hopeful book, Andersen–a brilliant analyst and synthesizer of historical and cultural trends, as well as a bestselling novelist and host of public radio’s Studio 360–shows us why the current economic crisis is actually a momen ...more
Published July 28th 2009 by Random House (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Reset, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reset

Deb
This book started strong, making a case for using the fiscal crisis to change the way we think about our lives, but dissolved into weak arguments. I still like his premise, though.

My favorite quote:
It used to be that when our economy thrived and productivity grew, pay for working people rose accordingly. But for most of the last decade, that central piece of the American social contract simply stopped operating. People put up with it for the same reason that the great mass of losers in casinos p
Ryan Briones
I saw this book, and I believe the author, on the Colbert Report and I decided I needed to read it. The content was actually pretty good. The only problem I had with it is that the book felt like it could have been like 1/10th of it's size. It seemed like the same content over and over in different contexts and sometimes like a big run on sentence.

That said, reading all the previous chapters was worth reading the last chapter. There was an excellent chapter on "amateurism" that struck home with
Geno
This book is very short offering a few simple U.S. problems with no solutions. I felt like I was having a quick conversation with a liberal.
Caroline
This is an essay, not a book. Took me an hour to read. I realize it was timely and necessary for Andersen to get it out fast, but it came across as just a cheap way to sell books with a good hook but not much substance. As a huge fan of Andersen's two (lengthy) novels, as well as his respect for literature and history in the context of modern living, I was highly disappointed.
Brian Ayres
Here's a short review for a short (74 pages) book. I am not exactly sure why Anderson decided to publish this in book form. It would have worked better as an online serial or, as it first appeared, as a Time magazine essay. Regardless, it was extremely repetitive and obvious. How do we restore America? Focus on needs and not wants? Seriously, now why didn't I think of that?
Mary
I wish I had read this book last month. It is hopeful as it puts the current time in perspective. He states that history does not repeat but rather rhymes. He suggests that it is time to act as adults instead of the kids we have been (instant gratification)-To find our inner ants - To act in a more sustatinable manner. I liked his matter of factness and his calmness.
Kevin
I am not a big fan of the big presumptive social trends "we." But Andersen pulls it off. how and why he does this is going to require more thought on my part. Partly it's my sympathy with him: we're both natural moderates. We're both from the midwest. Partly I will forgive a great wordsmith and sharp think a great deal.
Craig Toerpe
A quick read and a perspective that cannot be overlooked. I think the author is right about trying to find the correct way to restart or better yet, jumpstart the American economic engine. My prayer is that something happens soon so we can once again work and earn a respectable man's wage.
Jessica DuLong
This book gives me hope that the current economic crisis might just offer this country the opportunity it needs to kick back into gear as a nation of doers, innovators, and people who make things.
Mark Lacy
Though I "liked" this book, I had hoped for something more enlightening from this book, something that would be more profound. I didn't get it.
Josh
My issues is with the length. I feel he had some great insight into trends within American culture and thinking, but never expounded a lot on them because the book was so short.
Rachele
I should re-read this book once a month. Originally appeared as an article in Time Magazine, it was
added to and republished earlier in 2009. Fantastic...
Melissa
More of an extended Op-Ed or magazine article than a book, I still enjoyed this, particularly the notion that history doesn't repeat, but rhymes with itself.
Chris
Eh, this was OK. I felt like it wasn't anything new or reveling. At least it's a quick read; more like an essay than a full book.
Mmiller400m
Quick, short read on why the current economic crisis might be good for us and how we got ourselves in this mess to begin with.
Rathe
This book changed my mindset on the current struggling economy. If you are going to read it please read it soon.
Alexander
This took one sitting to read, and was completely worth it.
Very much a Public Radio listener read.
shannon
Smart, succinct and full of the common sense wisdom that people need to be reminded of these days.
Kelly
very interested to read this - like his previous fiction
Eric
Aug 16, 2009 Eric is currently reading it
check it out
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Tomáš Zemko
Tomáš Zemko marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Kurt Andersen is the author of three novels -- Heyday (a New York Times bestseller and winner of the 2008 Langum Prize for historical fiction), Turn of the Century (a national bestseller and New York Times Notable Book), and the new True Believers.

He is also host of the Peabody Award-winning weekly public radio program Studio 360, and a contributing editor to Vanity Fair.

Previously, Kurt was a co
More about Kurt Andersen...
True Believers Heyday Turn of the Century The Real Thing: A Book That Separates the Men from the Boys, and the Wheat from the Chaff, and the Bogus from the Bona Fide American Icons-The Disney Parks: Welcome to an Alternate Reality Precision-Designed for the Pursuit of Happiness