Start by marking “Whiteout” as Want to Read:
Whiteout

Whiteout

Living comfortably in Paris with his French lover, Claire, Paul believes he has left his past behind. But when the phone rings in the middle of the night, and a voice he hasn't heard in years tells him his mother is dying and begs him to come home, the nightmares begin. Reluctantly Paul returns for the funeral to the small town and the isolated lodge in northern Minnesota ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Beaver's Pond Press

To ask other readers questions about Whiteout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whiteout

Victoria Tirrel
Jul 24, 2009 Victoria Tirrel rated it it was amazing
You don't have to live in Minnesota or have visited one of its many north woods lodges to know how perfectly the author knows not just the people but the landscape. Written in finely crafted prose, Whiteout is the story of a family, a secret, and the lengths people will go to so that innocents can stay that way.

Paul Bauer grew up at his family's fishing lodge, the youngest of three children being raised by a sometimes unstable mother. He hardly knew his father, who died in a blizzard when Paul w
William Burleson
Nov 23, 2014 William Burleson rated it it was amazing
Whiteout surprised me.
Going in, I expected something of a who-done-it, a pot-boiler perhaps. But what I got was a thoughtful reflection on family and who is and who isn’t, on place and what does our home of origin mean and can we ever really leave.
The setting is mostly in northern Minnesota at a resort that has seen better days. Paul Bauer has been living in France for years, estranged from his family and his mother. When she dies, he reluctantly returns home to see the dysfunction he had fled
Sarah Cartwright
I don't currently read a lot of fiction to be honest. This book sort of fell into my hands. The author was at a local bookstore with a little table set up, with copies of his book on it, it was near Christmas and I was Christmas shopping. The author and I got to talking. His book had been rejected by major publishers, etc. The cover and title intrigued me as I am a winter type person, as did the setting... as I had always envisioned myself running a north woods resort in retirement. I ended up ...more
Laura (booksnob)
May 27, 2011 Laura (booksnob) rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature, 2011
Paul returns home to Minnesota after his mother dies. He has always felt disconnected from his family and has recurring bad dreams. His father died in a Whiteout when Paul was three. When Paul finds out that his family was once very happy, he sets out on a personal quest to find out the truth about the parents he never really knew. What he finds buried deep in the past will haunt you.

Paul finds the love letters between his parents before they were married and reading them is voyeuristic. I think
Mickie
Oct 09, 2009 Mickie rated it it was amazing
I loved reading Whiteout. A great book like this can transport you back to your childhood where it was once easy to be swept away by a story without all of the fears and distractions. Brian's book did this for me despite the fact that I have reached adulthood and am easily distracted by almost anything, especially competing media.
Krissy
Jan 27, 2010 Krissy rated it liked it
Read this for a bookclub. It took a while to get started, and then things got really weird...That's all I'll say.
Crystal
Jul 19, 2011 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Great descriptions and I always love a story with a secret or unforeseen twist. I tried to predict the twist while I was reading and couldn't figure it out.
Maggie
Nov 23, 2013 Maggie rated it did not like it
Awful. Terrible. Soooo poorly written, and then the last 10% is just too filthy and disgusting for words. Had to read it for book club, otherwise would have used it for firewood much earlier.
Carolconkey
Carolconkey rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2010
Mary Asp
Mary Asp rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2014
Anne Fox
Anne Fox rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2012
Ziad
Ziad rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2009
Stephanie Harr
Stephanie Harr rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2011
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2010
Jennifer rated it liked it
May 27, 2013
Sharon Hagford
Sharon Hagford rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Barry
Barry rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2010
Andrea Johnson
Creepy story.....but definitely a page turner!
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Aim
Aim rated it it was ok
Dec 22, 2014
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2010
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
May 09, 2015
Dennis Gerwing
Dennis Gerwing rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2010
Steve
Steve rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2010
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2011
Sheryl
Sheryl rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2015
Theresa
Theresa rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Alta
Alta rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2010
Laura Perkins
Laura Perkins rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Klj
Klj is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2009
Erin Strot
Erin Strot marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2009
Ryan Mac
Ryan Mac marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2009
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2010
Jody
Jody marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2010
Tony Knutson
Tony Knutson marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2010
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2010
Paula Lambert
Paula Lambert marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2011
Aud
Aud marked it as to-read
May 01, 2011
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 28, 2011
Konstantinos
Konstantinos marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2011
Mireille
Mireille marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2011
Gwen
Gwen added it
Jan 22, 2012
Zoe
Zoe added it
Sep 26, 2012
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2012
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2012
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Brian Duren has a doctorate in French Literature from the University of Paris and a Ph.D. in French and a B.A. in English from the University of Minnesota. He has taught at the Universities of Texas, Tulsa, Iowa, and Minnesota, and at Gustavus Adolphus and Augsburg College. He has three sons and lives in St. Paul, Minnesota. "
More about Brian Duren...