Start by marking “The Dragon Players (Knights Of The Lunch Table, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Players (Knights Of The Lunch Table, #2)

The Dragon Players (Knights of the Lunch Table #2)

Artie King, the uncrowned good guy of Camelot Middle School, is back with his pals Percy and Wayne in tow as he tries to evade evil Principal Dagger, avoid the school bully Joe and his Horde, and unravel the secret of a pack of mysterious magic cards he finds in his locker. Frank Cammuso's action-packed art and comic dialogue is sure to appeal to graphic novel fans and ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by GRAPHIX

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Players, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon Players

Cameron Paynter
Feb 24, 2014 Cameron Paynter added it
Shelves: term-2
This book is a fictional graphic novel about Artie and his friends. They aren't the coolest or most popular kids in their school, they are getting bullied. Artie gets signed up by his devious sister into the dragon battles at their school. This is the only way he can get enough money to pay for his principals cars windshield which he broke by accident. But the problem is the bullies are using Artie's friend to build there robot dragon. What will Artie do give up or fight the bullies anyway? read ...more
Freud
Oct 06, 2016 Freud added it
Oct 16, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, graphic-novel
Taken from a longer discussion about graphic novels for kids at Stacked.

I accidentally ordered the second volume of the series, the Dragon Players, instead of the first volume, the Dodgeball Chronicles. No matter - the story was easily picked up without needing an introduction.

King Arthur and the Round Table seemlessly fits into this modern day story about middle school. Artie attends Camelot Middle School with his evil sister Morgan. Of course, there's a Mr. Merlyn, a science wiz with a myste
Brandy
Jan 19, 2010 Brandy rated it really liked it
Artie and his friends are back for a second adventure in the halls of Camelot Middle School! This time, Dragon Day is upon them, with its charity auction and robot duel. The Horde is back, too, demanding that Artie's friend Percy build them a winning robot. Nobody wants to go up against the Horde, least of all Artie--so when he learns that someone signed him up against his will, his only option is to find someone who can help him build a better bot! The secret weapon Artie acquires would be just ...more
LauraW
I didn't like this one as well as I did the first one. Part of the reason is that the contest between the robots isn't very realistic - and it could have been. When the engineering school of the local university where I used to live held its Engineering Open House, they held a competition between teams that built robots. But it was a series of challenges that the robots had to negotiate, such as climbing up a ramp, picking up a ping-pong ball, taking that ball to a funnel and dropping it in the ...more
Lady Knight
Jun 25, 2010 Lady Knight rated it really liked it
Much like the first volume in the series, this is one great kids graphic novel! Bright colorful pictures and a cast of characters you'll love!

Artie has settled into his new school and is excited for the upcomging Dragon's Day. After one of his friend's accidentally breaks the principal's windshield, Artie and co. have to enter the Dragon's Day Duel to try and win the $300 they have to come up with to fix the principal's car. Dragon's Day Duel involves building robots and then dueling until one r
Samantha
Mar 24, 2014 Samantha rated it liked it
When an accident leads to destruction of Ms. Dagger's property, Artie and his pals are scheming to come up with $300 to help cover the repairs. A Robot Battle offers them the chance to win the money they need and gain a few bragging rights.

I love the way this series features complicated plot twists that all work out in the end. Even the smallest insignificant detail comes into play somehow in the conclusion.

Recommended for grades 3-5.
Nancy Jo Lambert
I read the 3rd one of these because I got it in a book order. I loved it so much I had to read the first two as well. In this second one the knights are in a robot war. I love that all throughout the whole graphic novel there are allusions to King Arthur, Camelot, and the whole story! This is an incredibly clever and well written and well illustrated graphic novel! I loved it and I know that the kids, especially the boys will love it too!
Christiane
Feb 01, 2010 Christiane rated it really liked it
Artie and his pals need $300 bad (it's a long story but the principal's new car needs a new windshield) and coincidently the Dragon Day dueling robot tournament first prize is $300! The problem is not can the boys win...but can they win without cheating? Funny, well-drawn, realistic dialogue and a positive (but not in a beat you over the head way) moral! I'll be taking this to summer reading visits.
One of the difficulties with sequels is that the audience already has expectations.

I liked the duality of choices evident in this book. It's a lesson I wish my students would learn.

I'm really liking the lunch ladies.

The ending was a bit too... expected.

I'm looking forward to The Battling Bands.
Alex
Feb 16, 2015 Alex rated it liked it
This book cost me less than a dollar, for the price this was a cute little story that takes the Arthur myth modernize it and make it about kids. A fun take even if it is as subtle as a brick. The brother sister relationship is a little too close to home... haha I will keep an eye out for others in this series.
The Reading Countess
May 29, 2010 The Reading Countess rated it really liked it
Even graphic novels can have a moral. Bullies, Science project, middle school drama, friendship...sure to cover most of my kids' interests. My one complaint? Why must the principal always appear as a villain?
This one should be popular with my readers. I can't wait to add it to the library/booktalk it.
Paula Griffith
Jul 20, 2011 Paula Griffith rated it really liked it
Artie and is Knights try to wrangle their way into a $300 prize robot duel--the only thing is that the Horde has threatened them if they should win. Winning is the only thing they can do because they owe Mrs. Dagger, bigtime, and she expects payment. This is an adventure sure to interest graphic novel readers. Recommended for grades 3-6.
Kellee
These graphic novels would be great for inference- often a section of the story is skipped and the reader has to infer what happened.

I loved the lesson about how each of us has duelings dragons within ourselves and we have to decide which dragon to feed.

Originally read: December 23, 2012
Reread: July 21, 2012
Jeff Raymond
I can't pinpoint what it is about Knights of the Lunch Table I enjoy so much, but this is another solid entry into that series. Where the first book was centered around a dodgeball game, this one involves a robotics tournament. It has the good messages that are required for books for this age group, but it's otherwise just a fun read that doesn't work too hard and gets the job done.
Janice
Feb 08, 2011 Janice rated it liked it
If you haven't read a graphic novel before, this is a good place to start. If you don't spend the time looking at the pictures, you miss out on parts of the story. I had to "reread" a few times. Typical geek kids get picked on by bullies and the "geeks" win. One interesting side story is the mean old lady principal with her sidekick Miss Flunke.
Jon
Sep 30, 2011 Jon rated it really liked it
Probably won't read any more of these, mainly just because the audience is obviously from younger kids. Clever touches of Arthurian legends. Only criticism would be there's some abrupt narration changes.
Maria
Jun 22, 2012 Maria rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
A cute story. I'm a sucker for all the Arthurian references. My son spotted this at the library, and I remembered someone else (Sherry?) saying she'd read the first. I think I need to find that one. Might also spark an interest in some other Arthurian tales in kids.
Chris
Mar 01, 2010 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: j, graphic, life, light, guys-read
Artie King's--or Arthur King of Camelot Middle School--challenges continue as he tries to be a good friend, take on the bullies, and learn to fight metaphorical dragons without resorting to their cheating, dishonest methods.
Mrs. Ruigrok
Apr 28, 2010 Mrs. Ruigrok rated it really liked it
"It was a bit longer than some graphic novels(which is a good point). It was very funny and I really liked it"..VR
Brett
May 15, 2013 Brett rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-graphic-novel
Just as awesome as the first. I can't wait to see what legendary (modern, middle school) adventures Artie & Co. get into next.
Kerry
Dec 23, 2009 Kerry rated it really liked it
This was too cute!! You can't go wrong with a principle named Mrs. Dagger who drives a car with a plate that says MEAN1. This was fun with a fast pace. It had me laughing out loud!
Karen
Really enjoyed The Dragon Players - know my students will really enjoy this addition to our graphic novel collection.
Brigid
Apr 25, 2011 Brigid rated it liked it
Recommends it for: elementary students and their parents
Recommended to Brigid by: my son
Shelves: elementary-kids
This graphic book has good messages with the usual bad guys and the evil principal (why is it always the principal?). The caricatures probably engage kids and adults with similar school experiences.
Linda Trinkle
Jan 12, 2014 Linda Trinkle rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Nice graphics, but story a bit predictable. The King Arthur motif is a nice idea, but I wonder if it is overly emphasized even for a kid's book. The point was hammered home.
Rachael
Feb 28, 2016 Rachael rated it liked it
Shelves: funny, graphic-novel
A cute little graphic novel. Really well drawn with a cute story to boot. I really enjoyed it, as a quick easy fun read.
Dalya
Dalya rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Merna_428
Merna_428 rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Aquarius
Aquarius rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2014
Ethan
Ethan rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
the dragon players 1 1 Jan 12, 2015 05:43PM
  • The Sign of the Black Rock (Three Thieves, #2)
  • Binky Takes Charge (Binky)
  • Lunch Lady and the League of Librarians (Lunch Lady, #2)
  • And Then There Were Gnomes
  • The Power of the Parasite (Squish, #3)
  • Mal and Chad: Food Fight! (Mal and Chad, #2)
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Fishy Business
  • Fangbone! Third-Grade Barbarian
  • Gabby and Gator
  • Missile Mouse #1 The Star Crusher
  • Unsinkable Walker Bean, The
  • The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 3: Superheroes (Amelia Rules! #3)
  • That One Spooky Night
Frank Cammuso is the author/illustrator of the graphic novel series The Misadventures of Salem Hyde from Amulet Books. He also created the graphic novel series Knights of the Lunch Table from Graphix/Scholastic. Frank drew the comic Otto’s Orange Day and Otto’s Backwards Day for Toon-Books. He also wrote and drew his self-published graphic novel Max Hamm Fairy Tale Detective, for which he received ...more
More about Frank Cammuso...

Knights of the Lunch Table (3 books)
  • The Dodgeball Chronicles (Knights of the Lunch Table, #1)
  • The Battling Bands (Knights of the Lunch Table, #3)