Start by marking “Unseen Academicals (Discworld, #37)” as Want to Read:
Unseen Academicals (Discworld, #37)

Unseen Academicals (Discworld #37)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  33,169 Ratings  ·  1,531 Reviews
Football has come to the ancient city of Ankh-Morpork - not the old fashioned, grubby pushing and shoving, but the new, fast football with pointy hats for goalposts and balls that go gloing when you drop them. And now, the wizards of Unseen University must win a football match, without using magic, so they're in the mood for trying everything else.

The prospect of the Big M
Audio CD, Abridged
Published October 9th 2009 by Corgi Audio (first published September 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Unseen Academicals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unseen Academicals

Dan Schwent
Oct 16, 2012 Dan Schwent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pratchett
Football (soccer to Americans like myself) is all the rage in Ankh-Morpork and Vetinari, the Patrician, has given Unseen University the duty of refining it from a street game to an organized event. Only some people don't want it organized. Can the Unseen Academicals, with Trevor Likely and the mysterious Mister Nutt, overcome football's rowdiest hooligans?

The thing about Terry Pratchett is that while his stories take place in a fantasy world, they are about real world events and concepts. This o
Oct 11, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What do you get when you mix football, magic, academic rivalry, an orangutan, the world of high (sorry) low fashion, a thumbing of nose (if not outright rasberrying) of Harry Potter, commentary on religion, and a designer named Pepe?

Unseen Academicals.

Most readers consider the last few Discworld novels to be good, though not great. In Unseen Academicals, Pratchett is back to his top form. Perhaps, a break from Discworld to write the wonderful and thought provoking Nation was what he needed. Rega
Discworld. Unseen University gets a football team, a university cook gets a chance to be repeatedly awesome, and an abused child just gets a chance.

I was looking forward to this book because hi, Discworld. And it was a pleasure to read, sure. But it's sort of like he took all the bits of a really great Discworld book – an extremely smart heroine, an absurd cultural artifact, people with something to prove – and assembled the whole thing, but then forgot to, I don't know, strike the match. There
Oct 12, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pratchett, fantasy
I ordered this book from Amazon on Friday, and a nice man knocked on my door and handed the book to me on Saturday. Now that's service! Needless to say, it was read by Sunday.

We're back on Discworld with Pratchett's newest, and back to a favorite Pratchett plot: Discworlders invent something familiar to those of us in the real world (a la Moving Pictures, Soul Music, The Truth, and many more). He's never attempted sports before, and as much as normal sports books make me want to snooze and never
Oct 23, 2009 Seth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f-h, discworld, fantasy
There isn't much to say about a Discworld novel at this point.You like the series or you don't, you shouldn't start with this one (although it isn't that bad of a starter, it doesn't give a lot of background on the characters--start elsewhere), and you just want to know if it's one of the (rare) standouts, either as extra genius (Night Watch) or a klunker (Monstrous Regiment).

It's a solid Discworld book, and we seem to have precious few of those left, so cherish it.

For recurring characters, it
Nov 19, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The challenge with trying to review a book by the inimitable Terry Pratchett is finding something to say that hasn’t already been said. The man’s unquestionable skill as a writer and the extensive body of his work makes it all but impossible to say anything about a new addition that hasn’t already been said—often.

I had the pleasure of receiving an advance copy of the newest Pratchett, Unseen Academicals, from the publisher, Harper. And trust me, it was very much a pleasure because once again Mr.
Moira Russell
When I was a teenager, a friend and I wrote a behemoth of a three-page letter on A4 paper to Terry Pratchett. We were amazed and grateful when a reply arrived from him a few months later, apologising for the delay and attempting to answer some of our many questions. One of the questions we asked was, "What football team do you support?" He replied something to the effect of not watching football because he thought it was weird.

Warm, fuzzy memories aside, I wanted to love this latest Discworld no
Jan 25, 2010 Asya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fun to read, but it ended quite quickly, without the usual bang. I didn't like all of the new characters. The continuation of the story would be very interesting. All in all, it's a good Discworld book.

And something I've been thinking while reading the book, but not really provoked by it:

It seems more and more civil concepts from our world are starting their own life in Ankh Morpork. The more the Discworld gets populated by newspaper agencies, mobile communications, banks, post offices, fas
Nicholas Karpuk
Jan 18, 2010 Nicholas Karpuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wizards play soccer. I could leave it at there and let you imagine their pointy hats wiggling across the field. That's almost a sales pitch in and of itself.

No artists ailments affect me quite like Pratchett's weird version of Alzheimer's. If it were some authors I like, I'd be upset, but for many of them, their best work is in the past. It's troubling with Pratchett because his books just keep getting more compelling.

What sounds like a high concept comedy ends up being a pretty bright discussio
Talulah Mankiller
Apr 22, 2010 Talulah Mankiller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dear Mr. Pratchett,

You have given me much joy in a cold, dreary life filled with vet visits and chemical adjustments to my brain. I was born to bleed from my vagina, expel copious amounts of snot from my nostrils (seriously, what is UP with my sinuses?), and watch GI Joe because my sister thinks terrible movies are funny. Or maybe she just finds my screams of pain amusing. ANYWAY, what I’m saying is that I suffer, I suffer mightily, but your books make things just a little bit more bearable. You
May 01, 2010 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Contrary to popular belief, I don't hate sports.

I know this may come as a surprise, since I studiously avoid all but the most cursory acknowledgment of current sporting events. I finish the paper when I hit the sports section, and the sport report on the news is, for me, time to wash the dishes. I have no favorite teams of any kind, no players I look up to, and no interest in following play-offs, bowl games, championships or derbys. Hell, even with the Olympics my interest plummets after the ope
Jul 07, 2011 Shovelmonkey1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: old skool discworld fans
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: all of the previous discworlds
Football has come to Ankh-Morpork. Strange that, in the scale of Ankh-Morporkian evolution, football arrives after the genesis of iconographs and moving pictures but there you have it. That is one of the joys of evolution is it not? The element of surprise?

Surprisingly the arrival of football also coincides with the arrival of high fashion, fashion models (maybe not that surprising given the association between fashion and football a la posh n becks), the rediscovery of the Orc (like the redisc
Oct 16, 2010 Velvetine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a longtime Discworld reader I thought for a standalone book I would not recommend it for first-time readers of the Discworld series.
It is one of his best written works in the use of language and has a lot of heart where it addresses issues about racial stereotyping and the crab-bucket analogy but lacks the amount of spark and punch his best books have. Less than perfect Pratchett though is still very good, hence the 4 stars.

The Good: it ticked all the boxes with Pratchett humour; word-play,
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
The wizards have never been my favorite, and we keep getting a dose of new characters, and football is hardly my favorite topic, but, for all of that, it was still an enjoyable story. It'll most likely never be one of my faves, but it was good.

I liked Nutt and Glenda, and wouldn't mind seeing them again, but I particularly liked the addition of Mr. Hix to the UU staff - the man with the skull ring who has license to be just a little bit evil, and to say the things everyone else is thinking. He w
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
I find this book a somewhat perplexing addition to the Discworld series. Technically, I think it's classed as a Rincewind book?? And yet Rincewind shows up for approximately two pages.

It's a book about football, in which the game goes from being played in a totally disorganised, stab-your-opponents-if-they-get-in-the-way fashion with a heavy wooden ball to a game with rules and specific positions and a lightweight inflatable ball. Which is fine, except that Jingo, some sixteen books earlier in
Sam Quixote
Mar 20, 2013 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Discworld novel in 4 years, the last one I read being the largely mediocre "Thud!" and a below average outing for the City Watch. I tried "Making Money" a couple of years ago but it was the first Discworld I couldn't finish it was so poor. That was really it for me, I thought I'd not be returning to Pratchett again. I felt sorry for Terry hearing of his illness but his continued forays into the dubious realm of "Young Adult" fiction often yielded poor books for a bloke in his 20 ...more
Harold Ogle
Jan 06, 2012 Harold Ogle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of comic fantasy
Shelves: fantasy, humor
This is a fun novel, even if it doesn't attain the depth of pathos of some of the better Discworld novels (Night Watch, Thief of Time). In large part this is because we are meeting the main character for the first time.

Many people like to quickly characterize the Discworld books as being one of a few "types": Rincewind novels, Death novels, the Watch novels, and the Witches novels (though a couple of more recent ones have been about Moist). Then there are quite a few left over, of course, and th
Phil McCrum
Feb 21, 2012 Phil McCrum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"Unseen Academicals" arrives new into a series that is already well over 30 books deep. The series is referred to as the "Discworld" series. For those of you unfamiliar with Discworld, it is a mythical flat world being carried through space on the backs of four cosmically huge elephants that are, themselves, standing on the back of an even larger tortoise. This tortoise is slowly making her way through the universe carrying millions of eclectic entities with her. If you loved "The Hitchh
Jun 25, 2012 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book when it came out in 2009, and to be completely honest with you, I was kinda disappointed.

The book wasn't bad, mind you. But it was merely good. Pratchett's work is usually somewhere between brilliant and excellent.

Still, I wasn't particularly surprised. I've known about Pratchett's struggle with Alzheimer's for a while. I've known it was just a matter of time before it started to impact his work.

That said, even a somewhat lackluster Pratchett book is pretty good, and I
Jul 01, 2012 Petr rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aby bylo jasno, Zeměplochu mám rád - obzvlášť ty dvě epizody, v nichž se vyskytuje Vlahoš von Rosret, ale výborná je i Noční hlídka, Pátý elefant, Pravda, z těch starších třeba Sekáč nebo Otec Prasátek. Četl jsem je všechny, k některým se rád vracím.

To ale neznamená, že se Pratchettovi povedlo vždycky všechno - a ano, jsem si vědom, že pro nezanedbatelnou část českého geectva je Terry bůh a Jan Kantůrek jeho prorok.

Po těchto varováních přistupme k věci. Nevídaní Akademikové vyšli česky už předl
Ralph McEwen
May 17, 2013 Ralph McEwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
16,148 ratings, 1,064 reviews, 3.91 stars and I agree. The narrator does a very good job and you can easily keep the characters separate while listening. I thought he did an excellent Rincewind. Still having trouble picturing the wizards playing "foot the ball".
May 26, 2015 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this might even be the first Pratchett book I read since his death. And somehow it felt so fitting that most of his main characters at least visited this book. As it was fitting that the whole book ends with a big "do you think it is over?" thing. Because it sort of is, and it is sad. I personally still have a few books of his unread, but it is still sad.

The book itself was not one of his best books, but there were parts that made me chuckle aloud and there were parts that moved me. I a
I'm not sure exactly why I haven't been enjoying the last few Pratchett books that I've read. Several theories present themselves; I don't like the subject matter (entirely possible here, I don't have a keen interest in football), I am tired of the genre and style (it's happened before) or this just isn't as funny as it could be.

Somehow this book in attempting to lambast such a subject just managed to make the the sport, fans and players seem pathetic and not laughably so (personal opinion poss
Apr 08, 2015 Maya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Нещо не ми достигна в "Невиждани академици". До средата ми вървеше някак мудно и твърде многословно, към края пък - претрупано с детайли. Като изключим блестящо развитата тема за толерантността, останалото не ме убеди особено. Въпреки това, изпитах удоволствието, което винаги ми доставя Светът на диска и Ангкх Морпорк.
Oct 31, 2014 Lammoth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Само Наште! Само Наште!

Още преди много, много години всички очакваха тази книга да излезе. Тя бе въпрос на време. След като Пратчет с думи ни нарисува гротесков свят и ни поразходи из музикалния бизнес (Музика за душата), киното и телевизията (Подвижни картини), операта и театъра (Маскарад), пресата и медиите (Истината), сред пощите и телекомуникации (Пощоряване), монетарна система и банки (Опаричване), философия и религия (Малки богове), туризъм и пътувания (Вещици в чужбина), всички се питаха
Apr 15, 2016 Antonio rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Empecé a leer este libro porque se me había dicho que era el último libro de la saga de Rincewind (el mago más cobarde de todos) pero…

Rincewind no es el protagonista, y si tiene cuatro líneas en la historia es mucho. Luego me dije, no será de Rincewind, pero va de magos y futbol, debe ser algo así como el Quidditch, pero…

Los magos de este libro no hacen magia, lo que para mí es un gran desperdicio, admito que no debió causarme tanta sorpresa, ya que Rincewind por lo general no es muy diestro en
Dec 16, 2015 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant, as pretty much all of the Discworld books by this author are. The story started a little oddly, but not in a bad way, and then the story picked up with some action, some humour and some very strange ideas, building to a long and delicious climax. The resolution was just as long too, but I would have preferred slightly more details about one or two of the sub storylines.
Jun 17, 2016 Helena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
You can read my review here:
May 25, 2016 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful. I love discworld and its characters so much I wish the books will never end. Unfortunately for me this is the last discworld novel I haven't read so now I will have only the joy of revisiting my favorites instead of going on new adventures.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Unseen Academicals 1 4 Jul 29, 2012 03:45PM
  • They Came and Ate Us: Armageddon II: The B-Movie
  • Flying Dutch
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • Bad Prince Charlie
  • Too Many Curses
  • The Tough Guide to Fantasyland
  • Horizon (The Sharing Knife, #4)
  • The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)

“The female mind is certainly a devious one, my lord."
Vetinari looked at his secretary in surprise. "Well, of course it is. It has to deal with the male one.”
“Juliet's version of cleanliness was next to godliness, which was to say it was erratic, past all understanding and was seldom seen.” 116 likes