Start by marking “The Complete Sherlock Holmes Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Complete Sherlock ...

Arthur Conan Doyle

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Short Stories (Sherlock Holmes #1-9)

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  91,903 ratings  ·  2,086 reviews
All five volumes of the Short Stories of Sherlock Holmes in one book.
Published September 1963 by John Murray (Publishers) Ltd (first published January 1st 1927)

adam bradford
Oct 31, 2007 adam bradford rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: researchers
A few of the things I learned:

Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

Never theorize before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgment.

Also, I now sometimes try to analyze people based on their shoes and pants when sitting on the subway. I have yet to ask anyone if I was accurate about my predictions.
Meave
Dec 04, 2013 Meave rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
My copy of this book is a wreck, I have read it so often. My dad gave it to me, I can't remember if it was a birthday or Christmas gift, but regardless it's one of the best books I've ever been given. You just have to read a couple of pages and you fall right into Holmes and Watson's world; it's wonderful.
Manny
For the Celebrity Death Match Review Tournament, Le Petit Prince (14) versus The Complete Sherlock Holmes (19)

It was some time during the summer of 19__ that I received an urgent telegram from Holmes. Arriving at 221B, Baker Street, I was struck by how little he had changed. He was older, to be sure; but his eye was as keen as ever, and his enthusiasm not one whit abated by the passage of the years.

"I trust you have brought your passport, Watson?" he said, in lieu of greeting. "We depart for Alg
K.D. Absolutely
So, I'm now done with reading this whole 2-volume 1,796-page Sherlock Holmes canon. I spent 10 months reading all the 4 novels and 56 short stories contained herein.

I really liked the experience and I am proud of this accomplishment. My first time to read a canon. Before reading this, I thought that the word canon only applied to biblical works. Well, that was the first thing I learned upon adding this book in my currently-reading folder.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote in a classy classic manner a
Diana
I was so sad when I finished this book. Nothing new to read ever again about Sherlock Holmes ... hmmmm *sigh*
Martha
Oct 24, 2008 Martha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those in varying states of wakefullness
I don't know if anyone else does this, but in times of stress or when I have exceptional trouble falling asleep, I find myself re-reading a favorite book. One of these used to be my complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series but alas, it *is* in fact possible to read those books too many times. Lately this book has been the Complete Sherlock Holmes.

What amazes me the most about these stories is that, despite having read through the entire collection a number of times, I seem to find someth
Jordan Bailey
What first got me hooked on reading.
[That sounds corny, like 'Hooked on Phonics' or something...]
Either way, I found a seriously abridged and illustrated version of a few stories when I was in 3rd grade. And I've never looked back. Hands down my favorite reads ever.
Jan Rice
Jan. 15, 2013: I received this as a gift when I was 20 years old. I had already read it but I must have read again, because the cover wore off. I tucked the front and back piece of the cover in the back of the book, and that's how I know it was this edition. I loved Sherlock Holmes. I own a Sherlock Holmes sweatshirt at this very time.

I also liked Arthur & George by Julian Barnes, which was about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Added after I saw one of my friends was going to read Sherlock Holmes.
I s
Pritali
I don't think I have ever been this obsessed with a book/book series in my entire life, and I have read a LOT of books! I now live, breath, eat, sleep, dream Sherlock! Sherlock Holmes is, as he calls himself, "Not a psychopath, but a highly functioning sociopath." Yes, that was a quote from the BBC show, but it's true! He is also arrogant, rude, occasionally a jerk, but the most brilliant person I have ever known...er...read about. But I have read these stories so many times, I feel like he coul ...more
Mark ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
I've decided that this mammoth collection of stories will be a work in progress project for me. It'll probably take me a lifetime between reading other books, but the target is set!

Why am I doing this?

Well, (a) you can have too much of a good thing and (b) I don't want to run the risk of the stories all rolling into one, becoming samey and then boredom setting in and the book landing on my "given-up" shelf. I'm quite sure that these stories were never published all in one go and in one volume
Megan Allison
Apr 05, 2009 Megan Allison rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who can handle a handful of fancy words
Recommended to Megan by: My sister
These novels and short stories are a blast to read when you want to get a taste of the original crime thriller stuff. It's cool to know that Doyle kind of started the detective crime mystery genre. If that doesn't make it cool enough, Sherlock Holmes makes for a very interesting character to follow, which makes sense since the character of Gregory House on the medical show HOUSE was based on Sherlock Holmes. This isn't necessarily because they both solve mysteries, but they both seem to have tha ...more
Jacob
My first review... Well then... Let's get to it.

There are many things about Sherlock Holmes stories that I find to be brilliant but I will discuss only three in this review so as not to make it too long.

The first is that Holmes is actually as brilliant as his reputation would have everyone believe. Something that I find extremely annoying in fiction is when a character has a reputation for being a fantastic investigator or for being great at something else but they never do anything to prove th
Mike
Jan 01, 2010 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy classic detective fiction and those who enjoyed Wilkie Collins' "The Moonstone".
In which we learn that Sherlock Holmes turns to a seven percent solution of cocaine for mental stimulation in the absence of a case on which to work, much to the chagrin of Dr. Watson. Arthur Conan Doyle weaves a story around the Sepoy Mutiny and a lost Indian treasure,in a plot reminiscent of Wilkie Collins' "The Moonstone". Sherlock Holmes reveals that he is a master of disguise and we learn more of the workings of the Baker Street Irregulars. This second appearance of Holmes and Watson is mor ...more
Tej Kuruvilla
Sherlock Holmes

By: Tej Kuruvilla

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had a great mind that has masterpieced some of the greatest mystery stories ever, known as Sherlock Holmes. He has made a variety of stories for suspenseful readers to bury oneself in.The ones that I’ve read are The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge, The singular experience of John Scott Eccles, The Tiger of San Pedro (of which are all one big story), The Adventure of the Cardboard box, The Adventure of the Red Circle. Each story consists of marve
Eric
Oct 03, 2011 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the detective genre
A Study in Scarlet: The first novel featuring the prototypical detective, it was a page-turner that made me excited to read the rest of the Sherlock Holmes canon. I was unnecessarily concerned when the second part of the novel opened in America, and did not seem to concern the original mystery that was set in England, but it came back and tied it together successfully.

The Sign of the Four: Not only was this story's mystery on par with the Jefferson Hope case, it also fleshed out the characters
kaśyap
Sherlock Holmes is my favorite fictional character. I received a copy of the complete collection when i was very young and i grew up reading these stories.I read every single story in this so many times that my copy is completely torn.
every story in this is clever,wonderfully written and gripping
Kris43
What is there to say about Mr. Holmes that hasn't been said before?
Objectively not much, so i'm going to skip that and go right to my own opinion.

In my eyes Mr. Holmes is and always will be a Master (with capital M) of his game! And let the game be always afoot! (If you don't know what that means, you should read the book, Dr. Watson will explain all about it:)

Start with The Study in Scarlet, so you can see how it all started. From there continue with the stories and novels. And when you finis
Bob
I know much of the character of Holmes was cribbed from Poe's Dupin, but these will always be the original mysteries for me. The first Sherlock Holmes story I ever read was, I think, "The Adventure of the Speckled Band", although I seem to recall reading the one about the Blue Carbuncle and the one about Copper Beeches as well -- and somewhere in these early stories I also read The Sign of Four, which kind of clinched it for me. At that point I had to read every Holmes story and novel and practi ...more
Nikki Stafford
What is there left to say about these stories? Before I sat down with this collection, I'd read only The Hound of the Baskervilles and a handful of stories from "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes," and that was back in high school. Picking this up fresh and reading it all the way through from "A Study in Scarlet" to "The Adventure of the Retired Colourman," I thought the stories were brilliant. Not all of them (there are a few in the middle where they begin to blend together) but I disagree with ...more
David
Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. Two iconic characters that, until recently, I was totally unfamiliar with in terms of their actual stories. Growing up I remember knowing there was a Sherlock Holmes but I never saw any movies or tv with him in it. It wasn't until the movies with Robert Downey Jr. came out that Sherlock seemed to return to greater public consciousness.

(As a sidenote my recollections are about right. The most recent Holmes movie prior to the Downey one was in 1988, when I was 8, s
Madeleine27
The best versions of this books are those that include the original (and approved by the author) illustrations, which add a lot to the experience. I recommend the Collector's Library Omnibus Edition, if you can find it now.

As for the stories themselves, they are classics for a reason. They are not proper mysteries in the modern sense, since the reader doesn't get all the clues needed to solve the problem before the detective explains it. Of course, not having to follow such rules also allows for
Heather
So, I'll be currently reading this one for a while. :) I'm a big fan of Sherlock Holmes. I first read about Holmes when I was eleven or so, and that's when I basically stopped reading Nancy Drew and even the Hardy Boys. I was super excited when I finally got the complete collection, so I could re-read the stories I loved, and also get exposed to many of the short stories I've never read.

I love the complexity of Holmes. He's not exactly heroic, and yet he is considered a hero in the literature wo
Carly
**edited 01/27/14

Sherlock Holmes started out as Doyle's steady-money potboilers, a series of stories ground out in exchange for a paycheck. But they caught the public imagination, and Holmes' fame grew until he became the best-known fictional detective out there. Countless remakes, pastiches, parodies, and retellings later, Holmes has finally made it into a rather unique position: he is currently featured as an action hero in several TV shows and quite a few movies, and yet on the polar opposite
David Delacruz
I have only read one novel in this book, for there are more. The book contains four novels and many short-stories. The Study in Scarlet was very interesting, it was basically the introduction or how it all started. The novel (A Study in Scarlet) included how Sherlock and John met, the amazing abilities of Sherlock Holmes, an astounding mystery, and a start of a rivalry.

A Study in Scarlet

A professional military doctor was to London after a receiving a bullet to the shoulder. After healing, John W
Kellie
Aug 12, 2012 Kellie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I just started it and love it already. It needs to be the next book club book.

I am almost done with the first story, A Study in Scarlet. I have loved reading it, but I wanted to warn any friends who were planning on reading this to be aware, at the end of the mystery Doyle takes the reader to America to explain what just happened in the mystery. You need to remember that Doyle was living in England and probably had no contact with anyone of the LDS faith. Probably all he'd ever heard were outrag
Ishtar
Bueno, pues después de más de 8 meses me he leído todos los relatos de Sherlock Holmes y los he disfrutado tanto como cuando los leí por primera vez. Descubrí a Sherlock y a Watson cuando tenía 10 años y ahora, 15 años después, siguen muy presentes en mi vida. Cuando leí mis primeros relatos me enamoré tanto de ambos personajes y me calaron tan hondo que a día de hoy sigo con muchas ganas todo lo que tenga que ver con este personaje: libros, series de televisión con él de protagonista o con dete ...more
Zorena
I selected this for a long term read. Something to cleanse my pallet between other books and I ended up reading most of it continuously.

I honestly am a bit reticent to even try to write a review about this book. I have read all of these stories in one form or another a few times over the years but reading them all at once as the pages of Holmes life was more like delving into the Biography of a real person. Once again I was thrilled and mesmerized.

I think the reading of this collection may becom
Michael Gerald Dealino
The epitome of a literary detective, Sherlock Holmes forever changed how a crime is solved in literature and has even influenced real-life events. Not surprising, considering that Conan Doyle was reported to have based the character on a real-life contemporary.

Sherlock Holmes' use of logic, rationale, and induction (yes, Holmes' process was not deduction) based on keen observation is never out-of-date and is still significant and useful to this day.

Let me say that this collection has helped me
Group_Captain_Lionel_Mandrake
Arthur Conan Doyle set the bar very high for all mystery writers that came before or since. No one, IMHO, has reached that bar. These stories/novels are what mystery should be. What is really amazing is that if you pay attention, there are enough clues in the writing to deduce the outcome, before Holmes reveals the true villain, but Arthur Conan Doyle is so skilful at hiding them and scattering them throughout the scenery of the story that we often miss the vital clues or don't value correctly. ...more
The Sherlock Holmes World 11 94 Dec 06, 2014 03:14PM
Word Game!!! 7 27 Nov 18, 2014 10:09AM
Sherlock and Sherlock Holmes 4 33 Oct 11, 2014 09:00AM
100 Greatest Mysterys of All Time - What Would You Add to It? 7 90 Sep 06, 2014 10:55AM
Elementary, my Dear Watson 18 227 Jul 15, 2014 11:04PM
  • Jane Austen Seven Novels
  • Lord Peter (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries)
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Complete Father Brown
  • Jules Verne: Seven Novels
  • Sherlock: The Casebook
  • The West End Horror: A Posthumous Memoir of John H. Watson, MD
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • A Study in Sherlock: Stories inspired by the Holmes canon
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Rediscovered Railway and Other Stories
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: After Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Classic Crime)
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Ice Palace Murders: From the American Chronicles of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • Sleeping Murder (Miss Marple, #13)
  • Seven Novels
  • Complete Works of Oscar Wilde
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...
A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3) The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume II A Scandal in Bohemia (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #1)

“You have a grand gift for silence, Watson. It makes you quite invaluable as a companion.” 662 likes
“Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he.” 512 likes