Start by marking “The Siren” as Want to Read:
The Siren

The Siren

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  17,917 Ratings  ·  2,618 Reviews
"You must never do anything that might expose our secret. This means that, in general, you cannot form close bonds with humans. You can speak to us, and you can always commune with the Ocean, but you are deadly to humans. You are, essentially, a weapon. A very beautiful weapon. I won't lie to you, it can be a lonely existence, but once you are done, you get to live. All yo ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by iUniverse.com

To ask other readers questions about The Siren, please sign up.

Gerard Villegas Nothing objectionable even for savvy 11 year olds. It's pretty cheesy but enjoyable and the teen romance element is really underplayed. However, it is…moreNothing objectionable even for savvy 11 year olds. It's pretty cheesy but enjoyable and the teen romance element is really underplayed. However, it is going with idea of death and the siren mythology of sending humans to their deaths. That is something you might want to consider when allowing her to read it.(less)
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
114th out of 1,240 books — 6,284 voters
Of Poseidon by Anna BanksForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsTempest Rising by Tracy DeebsEverblue by Brenda PandosRipple by Mandy Hubbard
YA Mermaid Novels
22nd out of 157 books — 758 voters

More lists with this book...

Lola  Reviewer

Kahlen was supposed to die.

Instead, she has been sentenced to a hundred years of murder.

She was a human, but now she is a siren: deadly but irresistible. Her voice is poison, death. When She’s hungry, the Ocean calls for Kahlen and her sisters to use their singing to drown humans. Kahlen has been doing this for eighty years. She doesn’t age or get sick. And while she never relishes in stealing lives, she never dares disobey the Ocean.

Until she meets Akinli.

They weren’t supposed to meet, and she
Clau R.
Feb 29, 2016 Clau R. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cover-love, 2016
All in all, I liked this book, it was fresh, cute and a fast read, and that's what I needed (because I've been reading heartbreaking, sad books). That said... it was not what I expected. In good ways and in bad ways. Let's start with something I'm not sure if I liked or not, but it sure had me intrigued: The Ocean.

I really liked Her sometimes, but there were other times that She just confused me. I mean, I liked the idea, I think that She was the strongest character of the book, and it's the fir
Hailey (HailsHeartsNyc)
Well that was disappointing
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
The Siren was a... SNOOZEFEST.

I'm so disappointed in this book. I was such a huge fan of The Selection series so I expected to really like The Siren but honestly, everything was just super dull.

The characters were boring. The only thing I enjoyed about the siren sisters was their dedication and loyalty to one another. The concept behind the Sirens and the Ocean was interesting but I didn't really love it. And on top of that, the romance was 100 percent insta-love. Their feelings developed too
Josu
Mar 09, 2016 Josu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-1-marzo
The Siren es una novela rápida y sencilla, con un punto de partida interesante y una historia de amor algo típica.

La primera novela que leo de Kiera Cass fuera del mundo de La Selección (de hecho, es la única que tiene), y es también la primera novela que ella escribió. Pese a haber sido revisada y editada, creo que se nota la mejora que ha tenido en el resto de sus trabajos. Vamos, que sí, se nota que le faltaba poner un poco en orden las ideas y dotarlas de detalles.

La novela es en sí entreten
Trina (Between Chapters)
Please do yourself 2 favors:
1. Do not avoid this book simply because you hated Cass's The Selection series. The two are nothing, nothing, nothing alike. The characters, the world, the writing tone are all so very different. Sure, you may still dislike this one for any number of reasons, but if you're interested in the premise, don't judge it based on a totally separate book series.

2. Do not avoid this book simply because mushy romances aren't your thing. Yes, there is a romance, and that's very
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Samantha Clanton, aka Harlequin Twilight for TeensReadToo.com

After reading this story, it is taking everything in me to not totally gush; it is that good. THE SIREN is the story of Kahlen, mostly, along with her sisters and the Ocean. A siren is a singer, a singer of the Ocean. In order to maintain herself, the Ocean must feed; sirens help her to do that.

Kahlen and her "sisters," Marilyn and Aisling, begin the story and you find out quite a lot of how sirens and their lives work. The
Wendy Darling
Jan 14, 2012 Wendy Darling marked it as will-never-read
Another book I had on my TBR shelf for months and months...gone.
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
Dec 16, 2015 Aly's Bookish Wonderland marked it as to-read
Will it be good? Will it be terrible? Who knows! Reading Cass's books is a little like playing Russian Roulette. It might blow your mind, it might not.
Chelsey the crazy cat lady
totally loved this book. it was so different to the Selection Series but just as beautiful. Love will find a way ...more
Cait • A Page With A View
Ok, kids. I obviously need to stop reading Kiera Cass books. I don't know why I keep doing it when they only work me into an irritable rant. So this time I'm going to be nice and just leave it with:

My blog | Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram
Dannii Elle
This is a retelling of the classic fairy tale, The Little Mermaid, and due to being fascinated and familiar with both the story and mermaid lore in general, this was a highly anticipated release for me. And, as you can probably guess from my rating, I was left a little disappointed.

I felt the story opened strongly. The reader is thrust straight into the heart of the action with no preamble and we oversee the death of the main protagonist's parents and her subsequent rebirth in mermaid form, all
Lara
Jun 14, 2016 Lara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“She told me to live. . . . I didn’t know how to tell Her that simply being alive was not enough to be called living.”

Mixed feelings about this one.

This book obviously isn't as good as The Selection. But it had huge potential in it and I wish Kiera Cass used it. I liked the main idea of the book however it would be much more better if it was longer, maybe a duology?
There are so many questions that re unanswered in the book. First of, why ocean eats humans? or why does she needs sinkings?
Th
Victoria Hansen
May 25, 2016 Victoria Hansen rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
I heard the door to the spare room creak and pretended to be asleep, but hoping I could pull off looking like a normal person for just a few more hours.

I felt a warm hand touch my forehead. And then my cheek. I held my act steady though Akinli's touch made me feel more than awake.

"Where in the world did you come from, you beautiful, silent girl?" he whispered. After along moment, I heard him slowly creep out of the room, quietly closing the door behind him.

Written by the infamous author of The S
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Release the gowns.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The name Kiera Cass is synonymous with young adult, instant love, cliche storylines and of course ballgowns. Her Selection series covers are absolutely stunning and considering the predicament her protagonist America finds herself in, are well suited to the storyline and a great representation. Her novels are perfect for early teen readers who love a fairytale romance. The Siren on the other hand managed to weave underwater ballgowns into the storyline and although I enjoyed it
Karmen (readingoncloud9)
*3.5 stars*
Erica
Sep 21, 2009 Erica rated it it was amazing
Wow, Kiera Cass has such talent. She is definately an author to watch! The Siren covers decades all in 276 pages, and you never once find yourself bored, only overcome with a need to know what happens next. You grow with the characters and experience their life. The Siren had me crying at numerous points and I'm by no means a big crier in books. It wasn't just sad parts that had me crying either, I was tearing up over some of the happiest parts of the book. Parts of The Siren were so heartbreaki ...more
Laura | Bookies & Cookies
REVIEW OF THE 2016 VERSION

Watch My Spoiler-Free Review on Youtube

Watch My Spoiler-ful Discussion on Youtube

I finished this book the day I received it, nearly a week and a half ago, and since then I have let this book marinate in my head and heart. This review IS SPOILER-FREE.

Though I did receive a free ARC, I was not paid or compensated in any way for this review. The thoughts and ideas are my own based on the book's content.

Two Versions

It’
Kezia Miller
Feb 21, 2016 Kezia Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was nothing like The Selection series and I really enjoyed that. I really enjoyed how modern this book was because stories like this that I read are usually set in the past or in a different universe that I could never picture on Earth. It was an easy read and just a cute romance. This was the definitely the kind of book I needed. It wasn't super complex like some books I've read that make your brain hurt but included some things that were very captivating and enjoyable to read. I real ...more
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
1.5/5

It was my intention to write a more coherent review, but after months of not doing it I'm just pasting the notes I took while reading/directly after finishing. So I apologize for the slight stream of consciousness style review.

So much instalove. She met him. He was cute. They baked a cake together and of course she loves him forever and ever and can't live without him. Literally.

Also, Akinli's creepy candle wax burn was so ridiculously creepy. Seriously, GTFO of this book.

It felt more like
Anne
Apr 11, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book for what it is -- a light-hearted romance.
It's not an epic story. There's some drama in it.
But it's definitely got a lot of heart to it, and I enjoyed it.

Here's a link to my BookTube Review

Bekah AwesomeBookNut
Review found at: www.awesomebooknut.com

I have completely enjoyed Kiera Cass and her writing. It’s simple, easy, cheesy and I enjoy it! I had heard about this being a “redo” from her first published version of this book and that the first version wasn’t that good. I didn’t read the first version but only this one and I have to say it’s cute! I love the covers of all her books and so of course I had to continue buying them! *sigh* cover love!

Alright…moving on from Kiera Cass gush!

I really enjoyed
Rachel Reads Ravenously (AKA The Wildcard Reader)
DNF at page 122.

I know I have been DNFing like crazy, but when the main character says she has fallen in love with a boy when she has spent no more than real time 2 hours with him, I no longer take the book seriously. It for real made me roll my eyes.
Sophie
Feb 03, 2016 Sophie marked it as maybe-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-releases
After seeing the old cover of this, I'm proper glad it's being released with a new one. It sounds quite interesting, though I kind of have a problem with Kiera's other books :/
Aditi
“There’s always room for love. Even if it’s as small as a crack in the door.”

----Kiera Cass

Kiera Cass, the New York Times bestselling author, has penned a heart-breaking tale of love in the huge vast blue ocean, in her book, The Sirens that narrates the story of a young siren who lives in the depths of the ocean and has a beautiful voice but longs to have a life of her own instead of serving the ocean, unfortunately against the rules of the ocean. But when she falls for a human, things become
Feb 26, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, 2016
3.5 stars.

I think sirens are really fascinating and I would love to read a really cool fictional book about them but there doesn't seem to be many good ones around. I thought that Kiera Cass's execution was pretty cool and imaginative but I wanted more from her story. I would have loved if everything was more fleshed out and if she wrote more chapters.

The characters were okay. Apart from the main character, Kahlen, nobody was really fleshed out enough. They weren't one-dimensional per say but
Cinnamon
Jul 19, 2009 Cinnamon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review
Imagine a world where you're granted a second chance at life, but forced to give up everything you love? That is the story of Kahlen, our beautiful heroine in the new book, THE SIREN by Kiera Cass. When approached to read this one, I was admittedly a little nervous because I hadn't heard anything about the book; nothing good, nor bad. I agreed to take the book on and as some other books I have had the fortune of being presented with, am quite glad that I did. THE SIREN was refreshing, haunting a ...more
Sammy
Jan 28, 2016 Sammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story follows a girl, Kahlen, who is paying a debt for a second chance at life.

She was traveling with her family when their boat sank to the bottom of the Ocean, and as Kahlen was drowning she begged for her life. Her prayers were answered, but in exchange for her life she was to give service to the Ocean for 100 years.
She became a singer. A siren.
Singing humans to their death in order to keep balance in the world.

For 80 years Kahlen carried out her service with a level-head, following the
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I really wanted to enjoy this, but I just couldn't. I'm thinking of even doing a video review to discuss my thoughts because I have A LOT of them. Blah.
Drew Cernava
“Where in the world did you come from, you beautiful, silent girl?” he whispered.

2 1/2 stars. The thing I loved about The Selection - and the very same thing that made many people hate it - was the silly, light, enjoyable tone of the writing. It was sugar and spice and pretty dresses and handsome boys and pure entertainment. And it totally worked for me. I got sucked into the story following America's life - basically a soap opera - and loved every page of it.

The Siren might have worked in the
Addicted to YA: The Siren 8 91 Jul 18, 2016 03:45PM
Crazy for Young A...: The Siren by Kiera Cass → Start Date: April 13th, 2016 18 28 May 18, 2016 05:12PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Siren by Kiera Cass - Restarting April 24th 2016 77 56 May 12, 2016 02:44PM
YA Read Along and...: The Siren 5 16 Apr 06, 2016 05:18PM
Friends and Fiction: The Siren 4 15 Mar 22, 2016 11:52AM
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
  • Forbidden Sea (Forbidden Sea, #1)
  • Between the Land and the Sea (Marina's Tales, #1)
  • Siren's Storm (Siren's Storm, #1)
  • Merrow
  • Lure (Siren's Call, #1)
  • Selina Penaluna
  • The Mermaid's Pendant
  • Seven Tears Into the Sea
  • Promises (Syrenka, #1)
  • Siren's Call (Dark Tides #1)
  • Fins
  • Mermaid Park
  • In Great Waters
  • Hannah (Daughters of the Sea, #1)
  • Sirena
  • Real Mermaids Don’t Wear Toe Rings (Real Mermaids, #1)
  • Between the Sea and Sky
100 Things I Love:

Being married. Cake. The smell of Autumn. Motherhood. Books. Elephants. Back rubs. On demand movies. Actually going out to movies. Faith. Cinnamon rolls. My family. Butterflies. When my kitchen is clean. Crayons. Pink. Tote bags. Dancing. Organizing via color coordination. That my wedding dress was tea length, not floor. Baking. My house. Writing utensils. Paper. India. The sound
More about Kiera Cass...

“Books were a safe place, a world apart from my own. No matter what had happened that day, that year, there was always a story in which someone overcame their darkest hour. I wasn't alone.” 43 likes
“It was like staring at a piece of art or the stars in the sky. I just had to watch him.
-Kahlen, The Siren”