Start by marking “The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder” as Want to Read:
The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder

The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  417 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
How do snow crystals form? What shapes can they take? Are no two snow crystals alike? These questions and more are answered in this visually stunning exploration of the science of snow. Perfect for reading on winter days, the book features photos of real snow crystals in their beautiful diversity. Snowflake-catching instructions are also included.
Published October 7th 2009 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Snow

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsOwl Moon by Jane YolenThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsThe Mitten by Jan BrettHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss
Winter Children's Books
11th out of 175 books — 52 voters
Dinosaur Eggs and Blue Ribbons by Barnas G MonteithSaving the Ghost of the Mountain by Sy MontgomeryAnatomy & Physiology Part 1 by April Chloe TerrazasThere Were Dinosaurs Everywhere! by Howard TemperleyAnimal Tracks and Signs by Jinny Johnson
Children's Non-fiction Science
10th out of 98 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Dec 09, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
I love snowflakes (but, as I now know after reading this book, I should call them "snow crystals") and this is a wonderful introduction to the science behind snow for children and, I think, adults, too. The illustrations are mostly photographs of snow crystals and they are exquisite. I think snow crystals are one of the most beautiful things in nature and I absolutely love the variety and that no two are alike. The text is pleasant, accessible and informative without being too dry (or trying to ...more
Lisa Vegan
Mar 22, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lisa by: Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I am a science nerd, though not a very well educated one. So, this book thrilled me. All throughout the book there are photographs of actual snow crystals (magnified of course.)

The book tells in detail how snow crystals form, and I found the information fascinating. At the end, there’s a project about how to catch your own snow crystals, which could make for a fun and educational activity.

I also highly recommend the book Snowflake Bentley. Reading the two books at about the same time would all
Kathryn
Jan 09, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I WOULD GIVE THIS BOOK ****** SIX STARS IF I COULD. Everyone that lives where it snows or might snow should have this book, it explains everything so easily and even tells you how to catch snowflakes!
Crystal Marcos
Dec 29, 2010 Crystal Marcos rated it it was amazing
I read The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder to my daughter today and it surprisingly held an 18 months old attention most of the book. I loved the book and I do enjoy learning. A perfect read for this time of year. I can't wait to get out and check out the next snow fall. The book explains how to see snow crystal's at their best. Seeing as how I live in WA state it is always iffy around here whether or not we will see snow. I am crossing my fingers! I want to share what I learned wi ...more
Courtney Lauren Smith
May 03, 2015 Courtney Lauren Smith rated it it was amazing
The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder by Mark Cassino is in my opinion a great book. We've all heard that no two snowflakes are alike but now we get to see up close for ourselves the difference in each snowflake. This book uses drawings and actual photographs of snow to help show its life cycle and detail. One of the pages displays a drawing of each stage of a snowflake as it grows and changes. It tells how it forms, and each of the different patters whether they become star-like, pl ...more
Elizabeth Murphy
Apr 23, 2015 Elizabeth Murphy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
The Story of Snow is a great informational book for students who are beginning to learn about weather and how it is formed. This book offers a lot of side notes throughout that give the reader an opportunity to keep their eyes wandering. It gives them the chance to point to things in the book and get excited about what they are learning. It's a really useful tactic for this type of book that could easily bore someone who isn't interested in this type of genre. What is really fantastic about info ...more
Laurie
Dec 26, 2014 Laurie rated it liked it
Jordan Hernandez
May 09, 2015 Jordan Hernandez rated it really liked it
This book was an excellent read, with clear and beautiful illustrations that capture the reader’s attention. It also had many interesting facts and concepts that could be expanded on in the classroom. For a read aloud the book could be used to introduce weather patterns, or the gas, liquid and solid phases of elemental states. With an independent reader, this book could be gateway for them to discover more about the weather, and then branch out to topics covered like the atmosphere, particles, o ...more
Marcia
Mar 06, 2011 Marcia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: science, Grades k-6
What is more beautiful than a snow crystal? Stunning photography combined with easy to understand science explains how snow is formed in this terrific book. A perfect companion book to Snowflake Bentley, and a great addition to a study of winter or the water cycle.
Melba Deoleo
Apr 07, 2014 Melba Deoleo rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
This book teaches us about snow and how it all comes to be, it talks about how snow forms and the shapes that it can take. It also lets the reader know that no two snowflakes are alike, which is something that kids would find interesting. Crystals and flakes are formed in the clouds with things like temperature and other factors affecting the shape that they take on their way down. The book is filled with great images that catch the readers attention. I would use this book as a part of teaching ...more
Becky B
A look at how snowflakes form, why they get their 6-pointed shape, and the main categories of shapes typically found.

A great up-close look at snowflakes. The photographs of real snow flakes make for a beautiful book, and the science is on point without getting too technical for youngsters. I recommend reading this with Snowflake Bentley as they complement each other well. Snowflake Bentley talks about the man who did some of the pioneering photography (and thus research) of snowflake shape, an
Cindy Sa
Nov 26, 2014 Cindy Sa rated it it was amazing
I love snowflakes, that's the main reason for me to choose this book to read. I know I should call them snow crystals after I read about this book.
This book is mainly talked about what is the snow, why the snow can be falling down, why we just can see the snow in the winter. Although in this book, it is mainly talked about the children's science about the snow crystals. And there are many beautiful snow crystal have been shown in this book. They are very beautiful and nice. I have to say the sn
Yusra Faridi
Apr 07, 2014 Yusra Faridi rated it liked it
The Science of Winter’s Wonder: This book is all about snow; how it forms and what shapes it can take on. It talks about the different things that affect the formation of snow crystals, such as temperature and the amount of moisture in the air. A lot of people have a common perception of snowflakes but have no idea that crystals can take on a variety of different shapes. This book does a great job at discussing and describing the full process of how snowflakes form, yet it is not too complicated ...more
Natalie Mauro
May 02, 2015 Natalie Mauro rated it it was amazing
This is a nonfiction book that would be appropriate for children age 5 and up. It covers a lot of questions that children (and adults) have about snow, like how do snow crystals form, why are no 2 snowflakes alike, what shapes can they take and more. All the questions are answered in simple words that are easily understandable. The illustrations are black and white but yet still very appealing. It is a book I would keep out all winter long as I think it would be great to refer to as a teacher an ...more
Becky
Mar 08, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it
1.Audience: this book is colorful and fun. This book has large print and sentences start in bold with a key fact. It is easy to follow and is pretty short. All of this makes an excellent choice for 2-4th graders.
2.Appeal: The book has watercolor and ink pictures along with real life pictures take by the author. This grabs the attention of the students. The author also follows the snow in a full journey of its “life.”
3.Activity: For my activity I would read the book in the winter and discuss sn
Hannah Jefferson
This is an informative, gorgeous book. The author is a professional art photographer of snow crystals among other elements of nature, and he was aided in writing the book by a Ph. D physicist.

I am twenty years old and this book taught me many things about snow I never knew before because, well, they don't teach it in school! Among these things were the different types of snowflakes, the reasons why these different types of snowflakes form, and general pattern all snowflakes follow being born. Th
Caroline Petrow

The Story of Snow by, Mark Cassino

Description: This is a sequential informational book about how snow is made. It goes through the process, starting with the formation of clouds and ending with what happens with snow when it lands on the ground. It also provides some fun activities to do with snow at the end of the book.

Mini Lesson: Sequence - this book is ideal for teaching children how to sequence events or facts. It uses sequential words such as before long, often, and soon. It also provides
Kirsten Swanson
Feb 16, 2014 Kirsten Swanson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: becauseihavekids
This book is beautifully illustrated with real photographs of snowflakes, and teaches why snow crystals have 6 sides, what the different shapes of snow crystals are as well as how they form, and what is the difference between snow flakes and snow crystals. The last two pages teach how to observe snow crystals on your own.

It's about right for 2nd graders with help, and interesting to everyone at any older age as well.
Matthew
Apr 26, 2016 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just right for the budding scientist!

This was the perfect text for a learning all you could want to know about snow. It was informational in structure, but very engaging informational writing. Readers will especially appreciate the friendly mixture of illustrations and photographs used to clarify the major points of the text. I enjoyed this book immensely. I would gladly use it with kids.
Ray
Jan 30, 2016 Ray rated it really liked it
Shelves: bedtime-stories
It was interesting to learn the originality from a scientific view of snow flakes. How they formulate in different parts of the cloud depending on the temp and the altitude of each setting. They also give you a great hint of capturing a snow flake yourself so you can see the different varieties . Living in a snowy area we'll have plenty of opportunities to try such a project.
Breana Fitzgerald
This book is great for older grades. It has vocabulary in it that the students could be learning. It is a science book that is teaching kids how snow is made. This book is perfect for the snow season. It could be used as a mentor text. It even has "How to catch Your own Snow Crystals" at the end. This would be great to get the students more engaged.
Nicole Eschweiler
Mar 22, 2015 Nicole Eschweiler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great book when talking about snow and snowflakes. It walks you through in a child friendly way about how snow forms. It also talks about what different shapes snowflakes can be in and what snowflakes are actually made out of. It even has a neat experiment in the end for children to try about how to catch your own snow crystals.
Whole And
FASCINATING book on how snow becomes, not what you'd expect to find out on how snow crystals become. Know the difference between snow crystals and snowflakes! Thoroughly enjoyed the information presented and the gorgeous images. Well done, a rare book delivering scientific information that leaves the reader engaged and fascinated.
Joanne Zienty
Dec 10, 2011 Joanne Zienty rated it it was amazing
So you think you know everything there is to know about snowflakes? Well, heat up some cocoa, nestle down in your favorite easy chair and get ready to learn more -- maybe even everything you always wanted to know about the flakes from above but were too busy catching them on your tongue to ask. By the end of The Story of Snow by Mark Cassino, you'll be wishing for a blizzard so you can follow the instructions he provides for catching and viewing snow crystals.
Ever wonder just how snow crystals
Tony Correia
Nov 16, 2014 Tony Correia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A letter from the sky

Snow flakes are a natural wonder. This book explains how snow crystals are formed and how to capture these terrific crystals which hold their shape ever so briefly. The science explains the shape and the beauty of snow flakes but he wonder of these amazing crystals only grows.
Rachel
Jan 25, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Many know that each snowflake is singular, but did you know that the water content and temperature of a cloud is responsible for this? Fun facts like this fill this book full of dazzling close-up photos of snowflakes.

A mixture of narrative and informative text tracks the formation of each crystal, and details all the different types. As an extra, the back includes instructions on catching these delicate structures.
K.C.
Jul 09, 2012 K.C. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Cassino, M. & Nelson, J., Ph.D. (2009). The story of snow: the science of winter’s wonder. San Francisco: Chronicle Books.

Category: informational picture book

This book takes the reader from a tiny particle of dirt, ash, or salt to the beautiful, delicate snow crystals that fall from the sky. It describes and illustrates all the different shapes a snowflake can take. It even includes directions for catching your own snow crystals. The photographs of actual snowflakes are amazing.
It will be ap
Ashley
Jan 21, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book and getting to see both the drawings and photographs of the different kinds of snowflakes. It was simply and is a great read for any age group that wants to learn a little more about snow. I think it could be paired with a more hands on experiential method of learning about snowflake and even explains how you can catch your own snowflakes.
Anne Newell
Apr 17, 2016 Anne Newell rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good , factual book for 3-5 when studying weather. Not a good book to read out loud to the class. I am not sure how much of the information would stay with the student but it has some good things to report on.
Ridgewood Public Library Youth Services
A beautifully illustrated (with photos and artwork) nonfiction book that explains how snow crystals are formed and the difference between crystals and snowflakes, plus shows how you can capture your own snow crystals to examine. - Brittin (RPL)
  • Redwoods
  • Bones: Skeletons and How They Work
  • The Secret Life of a Snowflake: An Up-Close Look at the Art and Science of Snowflakes
  • The Day-Glo Brothers: The True Story of Bob and Joe Switzer's Bright Ideas and Brand-New Colors
  • Over and Under the Snow