Start by marking “Here Comes Jack Frost” as Want to Read:
Here Comes Jack Frost

Here Comes Jack Frost

One cold morning a lonely boy wishes for something to do. His animal friends are hibernating, and he has nobody to play with-even all the birds have flown south. When he meets Jack Frost, the last thing he expects is to make a new friend... or to discover how enchanting winter can be!
Published October 27th 2009 by Roaring Brook Press (first published September 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Here Comes Jack Frost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Comes Jack Frost

Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter HøegThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonWhite Fang by Jack LondonThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Ice and Snow
408th out of 464 books — 130 voters
Zen Shorts by Jon J. MuthExtra Yarn by Mac BarnettOver and Under the Snow by Kate MessnerThe Wall by Peter SísEli the Minnow and The Coral Cave Adventure by David L. Sterling
Best Artwork in Children's Books
66th out of 97 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Oct 28, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

Here is the story of a little boy who meets Jack Frost. At first, Frost taunts him but the boy has his own skills to cope with all the wintery things Frost sends him and the two become friends; Frost will stay with the boy as long as the boy doesn't mention anything warm.

If found this an engaging, if not particularly memorable, story. I like that it is a winter story but not specifically tied to a holiday so it could be used by many families. I also liked the little boy's ingenuity--unl
Jan 05, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
A young boy meets Jack Frost and they decide to play together in the winter woods. Jack tells the boy to never mention anything warm, otherwise he'll be forced to leave. The two enjoy the snow until the boy realizes that spring is coming. Though Jack disappears, he promises to be back next winter.

I love the blue and white illustrations in this simple book. A good, quick, and visually interesting winter themed book for preschool and kindergarten students.
Laurie
Dec 26, 2014 Laurie rated it it was ok
Vicki
Dec 05, 2016 Vicki rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, pre-school
I was looking for a book to do a Jack Frost science experiment with and this perfectly fits the bill. Nice simple explanation of who and what Jack is. The illustrations perfectly show the winter time with white, silver and blue colors used exclusively.
Heather
Oct 11, 2016 Heather rated it liked it
October 2016
Rosa Cline
Sep 14, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, winter
An endearing story about a little boy missing his friends and bored during the winter. But then he is introduced to Jack Frost. He chases him and Jack says he can't catch him, they throw snowballs at each other and soon becomes friends. Having all kinds of fun, but the boy had to promise never to talk about things that were'warm'...one day he finds a flower popping up from the snow and Jack disappears. But in the air the boy hears 'see you next year.' A story that will bring a smile to you and ...more
Rebecca Needham
Dec 16, 2013 Rebecca Needham rated it really liked it
This touching story sees a lonely boy and his dog form a firm friendship with the spiky sprite, Jack Frost. The author, Kazuno Kohara uses striking linocut illustrations, in tones of blue and white, to portray a crisp, cool winter wonderland for the unlikely friends to play in. Together, they embark on a series of wintry games – skating, sledging and snowballing to mention but a few. The little boy’s sudden discovery of a single, spring snowdrop breaks Jack’s magical spell upon the land. He ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Celebrate the first day of Winter by reading this delightful story about Jack Frost. What little kid wouldn't want to spend the winter playing with Jack Frost, skating on the ice, building snowmen and having snowball fights? That would have been a dream come true for my son. The little boy in this story really lucks out when he meets Jack Frost and is able to do all that with them. That is until Spring makes her first appearance. Once that happens, Jack Frost has to leave until next year.

I love
Hannah Burgess
Jun 26, 2013 Hannah Burgess rated it really liked it
This book tells the story of a boy who has nobody to play with in the winter as all his animal friends are hibernating. As the snow begins to fall he meets Jack Frost and plays winter games with him until the spring comes and then jack frost goes away.

I used this book with children with SLD to introduce the concept of frost as many of them were unsure of what it was that was covering the playground and leaves. Many of the words in the book can be signed which made it accessible to those children
Katie Fitzgerald
This is a beautifully illustrated book, and the text is minimal enough that toddlers and babies can probably sit through it. (The ideal age is probably 3.) It kind of reminds me of Frosty the Snowman - the boy has a friend for the Winter, who will melt but then come back next year.

Read at WinterFest story time on 12/8/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read during rec. center visit on 12/19/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Drop-In Story Time on 1/11/13: http://storyt
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Jack Frost visits in the Winter. He brings frost and fun. Many winter activities can be done only in Winter including sledding, ice skating, snowman building, and snowball fighting.

Here Comes Jack Frost by Kohara came after Here Comes Jack Frost by Peters. Both books are fun and frosty reads during Winter. This version's illustrations are wonderfully wintery with the colors blue, white, and silver. The silhouettes are created by linocut illustrations. This story goes beyond window painting to in
Collin
Oct 05, 2015 Collin rated it really liked it
I'm a Jack Frost junkie and I needed my fix. Sometimes you just have to find what you need in board books.

Anyway, this was adorable! Maybe it's because there are NO Jack Frost stories outside of the stop-motion movie and William Joyce's stuff - nothing that's not a horror retelling? - and I'm in withdrawals all of my life, but I really enjoyed it. Precious animation and that bittersweet feeling that all the best Jack Frosts give you.

I just really fricking love Jack Frost, okay. I need this book.
Michelle
Cute two-color illustrations that made me cold just looking at them! Brrrrr! The icy blue and white contrast made the setting undeniably wintery.

Jack Escarcha (Jack Frost) is true to form in the beginning of this story. He's a pill! Once the boy and Jack come to an agreement not to mention heat, the two have lots of fun together.

Audience: 4 years-2nd grade
Use: winter; read aloud; predictions; seasons; science; hot vs cold
Joolissa
What an adorable book. I love the Jack Frost character and his wonderful, mischievous pointyness. The illustrations are marvelous in their simplicity. There's no shading, only line and solid white or black on blue, but they perfectly capture expression and playfulness. The story is fun and reminds one of snow days and winters filled with fluffy snow, sledding, and building snow men. A great read for winter's nights or in any other season in anticipation of seeing Jack Frost once more.
Teri
Dec 31, 2015 Teri rated it really liked it
This book became an instant hit with my 5 yr old daughter. I carried it with me as we traveled and she kept asking to look at it. A boy meets Jack Frost and they play and have fun. The boy is not to mention anything warm. Great book for the winter. I kept singing, "Jack Frost nipping at your nose" and my girl was delighted to make that connection. The illustrations are very simple and blue and white which really scream cold weather. Snuggle up and read this one.
Rebecca
May 05, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: preschool and up
If you liked last year's Ghosts in the House, don't miss this new book from Kazuno Kohara! The block-print illustrations are just as superb, blue this time instead of orange. Each page is masterfully designed, and the story -- of Jack Frost showing a little boy the many ways to enjoy winter -- is appealing as well.
Samantha Penrose
Jan 15, 2010 Samantha Penrose rated it really liked it
I really liked both the story and the pictures in this one!
The story is about a boy who is bummed about it being wintertime. One cold day, he steps out and meets jack frost. They have worlds of fun until jack mentions something warm...spring. At the utterance of a warm word jack disappears. The boys is sure that he hears the words "see you next winter" on the wind as it blows away through the woods.
Kristen
Dec 09, 2009 Kristen rated it liked it
This slight story has very cool illustrations (pun intended). The cool blues and whites, all the negative space - it makes winter inviting. The boy skates and sleds and makes snowmen with his new friend, Jack Frost, who disappears when spring comes. Nice winter story for the young ones, and the high-contrast, large illustrations make this nice for group storytimes.
Eva Kelly
May 05, 2015 Eva Kelly rated it really liked it
So the way it works is, if you talk about ANYTHING WARM, like stuff about the spring, then Jack Frost goes away. I wish it worked the other way around. Like if it was hot in the middle of the summer and you said SNOWMAN! then it'd snow. But I guess he comes around when he's good and ready.
A good one!
Hannah
Dec 31, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: head-start
I read this book as part of a Snow themed preschool story time. My kids were completely in awe of it. Never have they sat so quietly and exuded such interest in a story time book before! At the end they kept asking if Jack Frost would return and when and why did he leave and was he dead? It was adorable and lead us into a nice little discussion about seasons and weather.
carissa
Lindsay
Jul 31, 2012 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK. The pictures are gorgeous, the story is darling, and I can see it being very useful for teaching language, reading comprehension and author motive lessons. This book needs to be shared. In my humble opinion, it deserves some kind of award. Beautiful.
Nanci Booher
Sep 08, 2013 Nanci Booher rated it really liked it
I wanted to read this because I had read other by the author, and while the story is not my favorite, I adore the illustrations in it. I think that this would be a great winter time story to read and create alot of projects to go along with it.
Michelle
Nov 24, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
I love the combination of blue and white in illustrations and I love Kazuno Kohara's style.
I read her first book: Ghosts in the House for my Halloween storytime....this will definitely be in the line up for my winter theme.
This is another book that I really like the end papers.
Jill
Jan 11, 2010 Jill rated it it was amazing
Such a magical way to show the highlights of winter. I think we were the first ones to check this out of the library seeing it is a new book. Would love to add this to our permanent collection at home.
Marcia
Dec 09, 2012 Marcia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kathryn,Deb, BZ, Nancy
Stunningly beautiful linocut illustrations are perfect for this great little story of a boy who finds there is much to love about winter. Playful, and sweet, a perfect kick-off to the winter season. Graphic crisp white against a blue background really showcases the fun.
Bree
Jan 25, 2016 Bree rated it really liked it
i loved the illustrations mostly. The story was simple and cute. My Pre-K kids didn't get the end where Jack Frost says goodbye, "I'll see you next year." I just got a blank stare from them and then the "That's the end?"
Erin
Nov 03, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Cute story introducing young ones to Jack Frost. A boy befriends him and plays games with him all winter long until spring is mentioned and Jack disappears.

Good for preschool or toddler storytimes.
Rani
#winter #friends #play #frost #Childrensbook. When Jack frost comes to play with a lonely boy, he talks of a taboo word. All winter long they played, until the boy finds something that makes Jack disappear.
Jennie Smith
Being trapped inside with no one to play for is no fun. But that doesn't keep Jack Frost from visiting! With simple illustrations and a fun story, this book is beautifully written and one you will surely enjoy!
  • Snow
  • Fall is Not Easy
  • No Two Alike
  • The First Day of Winter
  • Snow! Snow! Snow!
Kazuno Kohara grew up in Japan and moved to the U.K. as a student. She is the author of Here Comes Jack Frost and Ghosts in the House! She lives in London, England.

More about Kazuno Kohara...