Start by marking “The Flower Farmer: An Organic Grower's Guide to Raising and Selling Cut Flowers” as Want to Read:
The Flower Farmer: An Organic Grower's Guide to Raising and Selling Cut Flowers

The Flower Farmer: An Organic Grower's Guide to Raising and Selling Cut Flowers

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Acre-for-acre, flowers are the most profitable--as well as the most beautiful--crop on the farm. In "The Flower Farmer" expert flower grower Lynn Byczynski provides a complete introduction to raising a cornucopia of cut flowers for home use and for sale to retail customers, florists, and other markets. The book offers detailed, manageable plans for flower growing on a scal ...more
Published June 1st 1997 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Flower Farmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flower Farmer

Sunny
Awesome!!! I bought this book because I was considering flower farming as a business as my city is rife with farmer's markets and other good local outlets to sell bouquets in. It was helpful in all the ways you'd want a niche business book to be. Written in a friendly manner with loads of illustrations, it included:
- case studies, told story-style, of real life, local, organic flower farmers across the US.
- basics about how to run a flower farm, including soil, space requirements, seasonal workl
Sara
Apr 09, 2009 Sara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who loves flowers and is on the scent for a home business
Recommended to Sara by: R, sorta
I just finished reading this this evening and I WANT TO DO THIS! One day. Sometime. It's all my big sister's fault (that's you, R). The author makes it sound so feasible, yet entirely (am I sweating?) real. I could grow flowers. People would buy them here. I feel sure of it. And I already have loads of books on flower arranging. Boy, wouldn't it be fun to have acres of zinnias? For now (if I can ever get up enough courage to sink spade into this soil) a patch of cosmos will be enough. :)
Nick Woodall
A well-organized book, with lots of ideas. Chock full of advice with real stories and how to do it!
Jonathan
Bycznski has written what is probably the definitive book for starting specialty cut flower growers. Written in a readable style assuming minimal knowledge with great photographs, it is an easy read that doesn't gloss over the labor and pitfalls but still manages to inspire. I highly recommend this to anybody interested in commercial cut flowers on any scale.
Ethan
May 20, 2013 Ethan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This is a really good book!! it has everything you need to know about growing flowers, selling them to florist and anything you need to know to get started with your business and
it's really inspiration.
Amy
Feb 11, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves:
The nuts and bolts or stamens and pistols (hehe!) of knowing how to grow and market flowers...
RowanP
RowanP rated it did not like it
Jun 11, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Tom Mc
Tom Mc rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Ashten
Ashten rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
samantha
samantha rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Moosho40
Moosho40 marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Anda Cârstoiu
Anda Cârstoiu marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Erica Golden
Erica Golden rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Lawrence Tyree Library
Lawrence Tyree Library marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Fernleaf
Fernleaf marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Leonard Costa Sr.
Leonard Costa Sr. rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Heather Crane
Heather Crane marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Laura added it
Jan 12, 2016
Sheila Tolson
Sheila Tolson marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Betsy Leonard
Betsy Leonard rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015