Start by marking “The Vampire King's Husband” as Want to Read:

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  750 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
When Bastion is down on his luck he takes the advice of a stranger and ends up in the arms of the Vampire King.
ebook, 1st Edition, 39 pages
Published June 2009 by Literary Road

To ask other readers questions about The Vampire King's Husband, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vampire King's Husband

Force of Law by Jez MorrowTruth in the Dark by Amy LaneFrog by Mary CalmesA Note in the Margin by Isabelle RowanCinder by Marie Sexton
Best Gay Cinderfellas
25th out of 200 books — 346 voters
Bound by Blood by Jourdan LaneInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceNotturno by Z.A. MaxfieldDeceptions by Jourdan LaneSacrifice by Jourdan Lane
Best Gay Vampires
89th out of 419 books — 600 voters

More lists with this book...

Veronica /  V
Instead of releasing a second edition from a story that was released in 2011, this author should have written a sequel to tell us what happen with the Queen, the King's mother and the King's Brother after the Queen tried to kill Shay,the Vampire's husband.
Very inconclusive with a very underdeveloped plot, it fails to reach its full potential.
Myka
I had been looking forward to reading this and I knew it was short, but it felt like a yaoi manga and while this would probably work on a manga, not so much as a short story. Everything happened too quickly and every piece was perfectly in place without no drama or conflict. I also didn't like the nicknames, it just doesn't work when their only difference is one letter (Vas vs Bas) and it expresses a familiarity with the characters we as readers can't have with such a short story.
AղցҽӀɑ W.
This was a short quick read that I enjoyed. Shay was down on his luck his parents have been dead for less then two weeks and his uncles have taken over his parents estate, because he is only 21 and his uncles are robbing him and not treating him right. Vasska has been looking for his mate for over a thousand years he has prayed to the Goddess to send him one. Shay who is unable to get a job meets a man that tells him that the castle is always hiring and give him a paper Shay who is nervous about ...more
Sophia
I enjoyed the over all story's plot and I loved the set up. The meeting was humorous and fun, but then things went quickly from meeting to mating. I would have liked a getting to know you period and things more drawn out, but then the conflict started and I got more involved again. So it was quick and moderately enjoyable, just wanted a bit more depth.
Gianna
At times I liked the story. At others, not so much. Hence the three stars. It wasn't bad. But it wasn't especially good either. I liked the main story itself, even if it was rushed. Non-humans commonly know their mate immediately. And Vas was no exception. That was fine. Bas is a human, also fine. He's, for all intents and purposes, broke and homeless so he's desperate. I get that. But to find out you're the mate of a vampire king in just a couple hours and you don't freak out even a little bit? ...more
Lisa
Jan 15, 2016 Lisa rated it did not like it
Plot and characters undeveloped, bland and lacked interest. Even for a short story, it felt rushed.

Last 15% taken up with promotion of another book.....

*meh*
Ramona TheWorldofBigEyes
Sep 03, 2015 Ramona TheWorldofBigEyes rated it it was amazing
Inhalt:

Vampirkönig Vasska wartet schon sein ganzes Leben auf seinen Gefährten/seine Gefährtin. Langsam wird es Zeit, denn sein Bruder Derl wartet nur auf eine Möglichkeit, um ihn vom Thron zu stoßen. Alle Hoffnung setzt er auf die Göttin Amethia.

Shay hat vor kurzem seine Eltern verloren. Seine Onkel kümmern sich pseudomäßig um ihn, es geht ihnen letztendlich aber nur um sein Erbe. Shay ist deshalb auf der Suche nach einem Job, doch das ist gar nicht so einfach.

Auf einmal erscheint ihm jedoch ein
Elisa Rolle
The Vampire King's Husband is a stand alone book by Amber Kell, an author that in the past used me to short stories inside a series. Instead I believe this short story was planned as a one shot. It has a fantasy setting, an apparently medieval town: the young hero is searching work as apprentice from a blacksmith, there is a castle overlooking the town, the life inside the castle has a strict order level... all hints that the way of life is somewhat historical. Then, here and there, I found some ...more
Mandy Quinn
Jan 27, 2016 Mandy Quinn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like reading this book it was okay but too short for me

I really loved reading this book it was good. I have read this book twice already. I love the relationship between Vasska and Shay. The problem I have with this book it is to short. I like the little bit of twists and turns and the edge of the seat action. I will recommend this book to everybody I know and to all friends too.
Mike
Short, corny but fun gay fairy tale

A rather short gay fairy tale of an orphaned lad being mystically led to and mated by the vampire king. A sweet idea, but the dialog and rapid plot developments seem formulaic more than intriguing for my tastes. Still, it succeeds as a sweet, short gay fairy tale (with a Vampire King in the role the "Prince Charming").
Shan M. Q.
Oct 22, 2014 Shan M. Q. rated it really liked it
I really like the first half of it, but not the second half. While the first half is detailed and well-plotted, the second half is just a rush closing. Hence, some characters' character-developments are lacking. Overall, I pretty much enjoyed it.
Ana
Feb 20, 2014 Ana rated it did not like it
Julie scott
Sep 26, 2014 Julie scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Vampire King's Husband

For a short story it was great and I can't wait to read more...I hope it's real soon to hopefully.
Stephanie
Sep 19, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was ok
Shelves: amber-kell, 2014
I usually really like Amber's stories but this one lacked detail and substance.
Elayne
Sep 16, 2014 Elayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bought-books
I read the original, just rebought it. I'm looking forward to more in this series.
Julie W
Feb 11, 2015 Julie W rated it liked it
Definitely cute.
Byron
Jul 12, 2011 Byron rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-read
There was so much more that could be done to build this story. It was well formed and charachters were likable.. but really not given a chance to know them. I guess I should always start one of my stupid reviews with - I DO NOT LIKE SHORT STORIES.. Why do I read them?? I don't know.. but I do like Amber Kell's style...

This story had us meeting two very different men. It quickly introduces them and runs the course to thier mating. A couple of little speed bumps along the way.. so it's great for
LD  Durham
Nov 27, 2009 LD Durham rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m-romance
Choppy and a bit too shallow, even for a short yaoi-esque book. My impression is that someone goofed and published the roughest of the rough drafts of this story. I could see potential, but between the awful grammar issues, the all-over-the-place dialogue, and the feeling that I was just skimming along the surface with no depth to a plot or to characters, it was a hard story to enjoy. I don't think I'll be attempting another book by this publisher. The author, however, I may try again.
Shirley
Oct 13, 2011 Shirley rated it it was ok
Sorry. Didn't much care for this one. Not one of her better stories. The king finds his mate and then keeps getting sidetracked. One minute he doesn't want to leave his mate alone, the next minute they’re sleeping separately. Characters were shallow and inconsistent. I couldn’t get into this one at all. From the blurb I was hoping it would be a lot better.
Jen Pinto
Mar 27, 2011 Jen Pinto rated it liked it
I thought this book had the potential to be so much more. The relationship between Vas and Bastian was very rushed and really should have been fleshed out more. The dynamic between the King's brother, mother and the King was clouded and unclear.

I did like the story, but it really needed to be expanded quite a bit and it seriously needed more depth.
Siobhan
Feb 15, 2016 Siobhan rated it it was ok
Shelves: erotic
The prologue sounded promising, but past that everything sort of hopscotched past the finish line and you were left with your eyebrow raised in disbelief. Had this book contained more information about the characters, and more interaction with the world, I believe it might have actually been a decent read. As it was I can only give it two stars for trying.
Brenda (b)
This was a short story and a quick read. Because of this there wasn't a lot of detail, but I liked the main characters and enjoyed their interactions with each other.

Caveat: there were a number of typos in the edition I read
TwistedRoses
Nov 15, 2015 TwistedRoses rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who don't mind short stories
I really liked this story. I don't understand why people seem to have a problem with it. Yes, I wish there was more to it and it was longer but it's obviously meant to be a short story people not a book. Get over it!
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
Jun 03, 2013 Wendy ~M/M Junkie~ rated it liked it
Shelves: source-calibre
This was a decent but too short story from Amber Kell. I really enjoy Amber's writing I just wanted more of these guys. While it is a short story it is worth reading. It is great for a lunch time read!
Ryoma Gartre
Everyone knows that Amber Kell excels at short stories, this one was an ok-read, because suddenly there where just too many elements and not all felt resolved in the end, still it was an enjoyable read.
Persephone
Apr 25, 2016 Persephone rated it it was ok
Shelves: vampires, romance, mm
Cute characters and interesting plot line. However, the author should have developed the story further. It was anticlimactic just like Breaking Dawn.
L-D
Mar 08, 2012 L-D rated it liked it
A fun short story about the Vampire King's desire for a mate. After 1000 years of waiting, Vas finally meets Bastion a blood donor.
Karel
Dec 17, 2012 Karel rated it did not like it
Shelves: nomance
Awful editting. Missing commas and question marks, instant and shallow love. Villain so 2d it borders on being a parody.
Clerah
May 17, 2010 Clerah rated it liked it
Shelves: _own, ebook, m-m, pnr
Although not one of my favorite reads by Kell, still a decent read of the paranormal ilk with a HEA ending.
G.Cliffe
Apr 24, 2012 G.Cliffe rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-bromance
Short & sweet. This vampire story zoomed by..an easy afternoon read that has a happy ending.
  • Duet in Blood (My Vampire and I, #3)
  • Perfect Timing
  • Frankie's Vamp (Hot Encounters #1)
  • A Vampire in Waikiki (Vampire in Waikiki, #1)
  • Mad Blood (Drone Vampire Chronicles, #2)
  • Blood Prince (Wolf Creek Pack #4)
  • The Vampire and the Man-eater
  • Blood Run Cold
  • Lust & Vamp (Anything Goes #2)
  • Ice Man (Blood Slaves, #1)
  • Enthralled (Enthralled #1)
  • The Given & The Taken (Tooth and Claw, #1)
  • Diamond in the Shade 1
  • And the Two Shall Become One (Legends of the Romanorum, #2)
  • Enraptured (Kaldor Saga, #1)
  • Forgotten Sins (Haven #3)
Amber Kell has made a career out of daydreaming. It has been a lifelong habit she practices diligently as shown by her complete lack of focus on anything not related to her fantasy world building.

When she told her husband what she wanted to do with her life he told her to go have fun.

During those seconds she isn't writing she remembers she has children who humor her with games of 'what if' and let
More about Amber Kell...