Down in the Flood (Danny Chaisson, #3)

Down in the Flood (Danny Chaisson #3)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  14 reviews
All the top crime writers agree that Kenneth Abel is a spectacular writer: “A gripper all the way,” says Elmore Leonard. “A stunning achievement,” declares James Lee Burke. “Brilliant,” says Robert B. Parker. And now with Down in the Flood, former New Orleans prosecutor Danny Chaisson is back in a third electrifying thriller.

Danny Chaisson's latest case is bid-rigging. But...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Minotaur Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Down in the Flood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down in the Flood

Ron Baird
I've been waiting 8 years for Abel's next book to come out. And it was worth the wait. There are. like it or not, recurring formulas in mystery/thrillers. For some, it's the same formula over and over. Many of those are perpetually on the NY Times best-seller lists. Others vary and the more they do, the more I like them. Kenneth Abel is one of the best of these and he pretty much broke out of the mold completely.

It features Danny Chaisson, a low-end lawyer, who, in the previous book was a volunt...more
Patricia
Down In the Flood- 5 Stars
Kenneth Abel
Minotaur Books, 2009, 352 Pages
ISBN No. 978-0312377199

Danny Chaisson, New Orleans attorney, befriends Louis Sams who is asked to testify before a grand jury against his employer, a concrete manufacturer. Danny has experienced testifying before the grand jury and his receptionist asks him to advise Sams. Louis Sams is hesitant to agree but his son has legal problems and Sams is told his son’s problems will disappear if he testifies.

Sams’ employer is rumored t...more
Iowa City Public Library
Down in the Flood by Kenneth Abel is a real page turner. Danny Chaisson is a New Orleans attorney helping his receptionist’s relative, an engineer working for a concrete company, who the feds are pressuring to give evidence of cut corners and sub-par work against his boss. The boss in turn is getting pressure from a mobster to whom he owes a large gambling debt. These are the players when a little storm named Katrina comes to town. The engineer has disappeared on the eve of grand jury testimony...more
Viccy
The language in this book is wonderful. A completely vicarious way to see what happened in New Orleans before, during and after Katrina. It was truly effective in engaging your senses and sensibilities about the horror that was Katrina. The plot of the book revolves around Danny Chaisson, a lawyer who used to be a fixer for a New Orleans politician. Danny is married now and a father. His partner approaches him to help her brother who wants to testify before a Federal grand jury about the bribes...more
Bayneeta
Read this for a crime book discussion group. Third in a series, but it reads fine as a stand-alone. Liked it enough I'd read the earlier titles in the series. If someone wants to read a book set in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina and get a feeling of what that must have been like, I'd strongly recommend this book.
Mary Lou
This book was a wonderful surprise. I expected a garden-variety suspense novel and got amazing descriptions of what it was like to go through Hurricane Katrina, remarkable insights into human nature and behavior and a good story to boot.
Rebecca
This was one of my 100-pages challenge books, but I didn't need 100 pages to get hooked on it--I don't think I needed 100 words. This is definitely an author that I will be checking out again.
Debbie
Pretty well done drama about a lawyer trying to find a witness to fraud in the NOLA building business while THE Hurricane floods the city. A few too many coincidences, but enjoyable.
Jo Marie
A pretty good thriller with a great feel for what it must have been like for people living in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina.
Carla
I probably would've liked it more if I hadn't read 9 Lives first. Truth is sometimes more interesting than fiction.
Joy
Set in New Orleans during the Katrina flood. Okay read, too much philosophizing, and a little too wordy!
Melissa
Really enjoyed this one, for a thriller. Loved it being set post-Katrina.
Anne
A gripping mystery set in New Orleans shortly before and during Katrina.
Hapzydeco
Crime thriller which melds human greed and the tragedy of Katrina.
Jean Blake-tahyi
Jean Blake-tahyi marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Janie Roeschlein
Janie Roeschlein marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2013
Megan Hoffman
Megan Hoffman marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Scott E
Scott E marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Pseudonym of Sergei Lobanov-Rostovsky.
Sergei Lobanov-Rostovsky has taught at Kenyon since 1993. He teaches courses on Shakespeare, Renaissance poetry, film, and fiction writing. His research centers on the politics of spectacle in early modern drama, and he has also published a series of crime novels under the pseudonym Kenneth Abel. In 2001, he received the Junior Trustee Award for Teaching Excel...more
More about Kenneth Abel...
Cold Steel Rain (Danny Chaisson, #1) The Burying Field (Danny Chaisson, #2) Bait The Blue Wall