Start by marking “The Portable Pediatrician: A Practicing Pediatrician's Guide to Your Child's Growth, Development, Health, and Behavior from Birth to Age Five ” as Want to Read:

The Portable Pediatrician: A Practicing Pediatrician's Guide to Your Child's Growth, Development, Health and Behavior, from Birth to Age Five
Paperback, Second Edition, 688 pages
Published September 17th 2002 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Portable Pediatrician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Portable Pediatrician

gina
Sep 01, 2015 gina rated it it was ok
I skimmed some of the section that pertained to my 19 month old and a few others before and after. I don't think I'm fond of her decisive parenting advice. I expected more about health and less about "your child should not have a pacifier anymore" type blanket statements that I encountered. Also, she makes the blanket statement that no two year old will open his mouth willingly for a tongue depressor at a dr. visit. Mine does and has consistently at the last several visits. There's nothing to be ...more
 Sara
Mar 01, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Very good descriptions of what children are like at a given age, what to expect now and next, how to handle doctor's visits, what to do if your child is ill, etc. They copy i have has horrible drawings of kids, though. I think they've changed this in the newer editions. I referred this constantly when my 4 kids were little, and now use her The Portable Pediatrician's Guide to Kids: Your Child's Physical and Behavioral Development from Age 5 to Age 12.
Dedra
Nov 29, 2007 Dedra rated it really liked it
This one has eased my mind during some sick nights/days...I know that some folks have a problem with her...what pediatrician or child psychologist doesn't have their nay-sayers??...BUT ...this book is not supposed to be the end all be all...no book is..it provide a basic guideline that helps ..and it did.
Deanna
Mar 19, 2011 Deanna rated it it was amazing
This booked helped a panicking young single mother through the mysteries of her first child and has helped my husband and myself through our second child. This is the only book of this nature that I was able to read while being sleep deprived so I would definitely suggest this book to first time or even experienced parents. It has lots of "need to know" and "wish I would have known" facts in it.
Traci
Apr 13, 2009 Traci rated it it was amazing
I'm "re-reading" this book now with Danica - although I don't read every page. I have found it to be very valuable and a great "go to" book when I have a question or just want to read up on a few things. =) I enjoyed it MUCH more than the "What to Expect" books.
Emily Peery
Sep 17, 2007 Emily Peery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
Shelves: parenting
I love this reference book--a great crash course on child development. Very approachable, it gives great examples with stories and descriptions. A much better alternative to the "what to expect" series, in my opinion.
Joan Ryan
Mar 26, 2013 Joan Ryan rated it it was amazing
This book came highly recommended to me by a pediatrician almost 5 years ago and I found it to be the most reliable go-to guide of those I bought or were given to me. Well written, easy to search format, and far superior to the highly over-rated "What to Expect" series.
Courtney
Sep 18, 2008 Courtney rated it it was amazing
I have found myself referring back to this book many times with both kids.
Cws
Dec 18, 2008 Cws added it
649 Nat
Jana
Apr 17, 2009 Jana rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book has come in handy countless times with my four children. It is very thorough and actually interesting to read. The author has a great sense of humor as well as experiece.
Deirdre Keating
May 13, 2008 Deirdre Keating rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
A gift from Marie. Good reference book.
Bookie
Bookie rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2007
Anna Bright
Anna Bright rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2012
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2013
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2009
Lisa K. Blake
Lisa K. Blake rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2009
Tamara
Tamara rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2008
kleighwrites
kleighwrites rated it really liked it
May 12, 2015
Nancy Barnard
Nancy Barnard rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2009
Jesse Weaver
Jesse Weaver rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Laurel
Laurel rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2010
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2012
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Jeff Scott
Jeff Scott rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2007
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2011
Mindy
Mindy rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2008
Candace
Candace rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2009