Start by marking “The Scandal of Father Brown” as Want to Read:
The Scandal of Father Brown

The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown #5)

Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936) was an influential English writer of the early 20th century. His prolific and diverse output included journalism, philosophy, poetry, biography, Christian apologetics, fantasy, and detective fiction. Chesterton has been called the "prince of paradox. " He wrote in an off-hand, whimsical prose studded with startling formulations. He is o ...more
Published January 25th 2008 by Dodo Press (first published 1935)

To ask other readers questions about The Scandal of Father Brown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scandal of Father Brown

F.R.
May 10, 2012 F.R. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reason Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes is more famous and celebrated than G.K. Chesterton’s Father Brown is that Holmes is just a more compulsive character. He is passionate, unpredictable, capable of calm observation, but also moments of high agitation. As London’s foremost consulting detective, everybody knows who he is and he always puts on a show for them, clearly taking great delight in the big reveal – like a cat which has procured the keys to a cream store. Father Brown on the ot ...more
Rose
Jul 14, 2009 Rose added it
Shelves: 2009, fiction
I love Father Brown's smackdown to a racist:

"Well, there was a Dago, or possibly a Wop, called Julius Caesar. He was afterwards killed in a stabbing match; you know these Dagos always use knives. And there was another one called Augustine, who brought Christianity to our little island; and really, I don't think we should have had much civilisation without those two."
Melanie
Aug 15, 2016 Melanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I hate to rate Chesterton with only 3 stars, but this wasn't my favorite. Lord Peter is funnier. And some of these stories required a great leap of faith to solve. Just ok.
Maggie
Oct 02, 2009 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Similar to Sherlock Holmes books; that's why I liked it. Father Brown is a great character!
Ed
"The Scandal of Father Brown", by G.K. Chesterton, is a series of 9 stories from the 1930's. (The book was published in 1935.)

As I mentioned in my reviews of previous Father Brown collections, I think their idea of "short" stories back then was a little different from mine today, since this group seemed to average about 30 screen pages each. But generally, I again enjoyed this look back in early 20th-century mystery fiction, even though the prose could be a bit turgid at times, and even though
Carlos
May 18, 2015 Carlos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gilbert Keith Chesterton –uno de los escritores británicos más afamados y esclarecidos del pasado siglo, que incursionó en el ensayo, la narración, la biografía, la poesía, el periodismo y el relato de viajes– creó uno de los personajes más memorables del género detectivesco, del cual escribió más de cincuenta relatos, recopilados en cinco volúmenes; de ellos, leí recientemente “El escándalo del Padre Brown”, una breve pero sustanciosa alhaja.
La genialidad del detective-sacerdote (más bien, párr
Glen U
May 23, 2016 Glen U rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a huge G. K. Chesterton fan, I am sad that I have now finished all of Chesterton's Father Brown stories. There may be some unpublished or unreleased tales that I have been unable to unearth as of yet, but I think that most of them have been collected over the years. In this last collection of Father Brown episodes, Chesterton continues to have his protagonist solve crimes by observation and use of a knowledge of human nature, albeit sometimes Chesterton's views intrude on the good Father's ...more
Nan Silvernail
What has Father Brown gotten himself into, now?
In the first story from which the book takes its name, Father Brown is staying in a hotel where a love triangle is reaching its culmination and Father Brown is in the very middle of it!

The other stories are just as clever in this last of the Father Brown books.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A very interesting series. The sharp-witted short-sighted dumpy little priest from England who relies on human nature and his experiences and friendship with
Ensiform
Dec 18, 2011 Ensiform rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Nine short stories are collected in this volume, in which the unassuming, placid Father Brown solves puzzles, most often murder mysteries. These are not mysteries that the reader is given a full opportunity to solve. Aside from "The Blast Of the Book," a winking look at what people assume and believe, and "The Green Man," a smart tale based on a slip of the tongue, the strength of these tales is in description and dialogue, especially Brown's wistful ruminations of people, not in revealed clues. ...more
Emily
Nov 11, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here are some short detective stories to rival Agatha Christie. A wonderful book, I recommend for everyone you likes detective novels. Personally I love the way Chesterton writes.

One thing I noticed is how perfect Father Brown is. It seems that all the great detectives out there have some obvious flaw; Sherlock Holmes was a drug addict, smoker, and a rather rude, unfriendly, very arrogant person. Poirot admitted to having a major flaw in his pride. But Father Brown is humble, courteous to a faul
Jack
Sep 01, 2014 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chesterton writes in a fashion we might call formalist. His hero is always cool and calm. He solves crimes with erudition and observation. His nemeses are psychics, lawyers, men of letters. The charm in these tales is in their respect for the classic mystery tradition. The language seems almost baroque to the modern reader.

But Father Brown never disappoints. With care and calculation, he always gets his man.

Cloudy day at the beach. A perfect escape to another era.
David Gorgone
A fun little read. Though I noticed a long time ago that a lot of these mystery writers have the tendancy to cheat. Usually by including things in the solution that you had no idea about because they were never mentioned. A few I figured outright. Father Brown is a pretty decent character. He seems to be able to figure things out a tad too easily without actually having to do anything to come to his conclusions. And he never seems to actually work.
Briana
I love detective stories, particularly when the story's detective is full of clever remarks and intriguing paradoxes. After reading books like Orthodoxy and Heretics, Father Brown sounded a whole lot like Chesterton, very smart and very likable.

Recommended for Sherlock Holmes fans...although I'll bet a lot of you smart ones will figure out the endings. But the stories are still fun to read.
Marta García
Mar 14, 2015 Marta García rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El padre Brown no es para todos los gustos, pero vale la pena darle una oportunidad. Son historias cortas de intriga muy distintas a las de Conan Doyle o Agatha Christie, apenas hay acción, todo es muy intelectual, y el estilo de Chesterton también es peculiar. POr eso mismo vale la pena leerlo: es una clase de literatura policíaca muy diferente a la que estamos acostumbrados a leer. Sorprendente.
Rex Libris
May 21, 2014 Rex Libris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished all of the Father Brown stories, a bittersweet event. The stories are great, Chesterton has wonderful prose, and his observations concerning people are insightful.

I wish there were more to read; will just have to read Chesterton's other fiction. Man Who Was Thursday was a great story.
Courtney

8) The Insoluble Problem
9) The Vampire of the Village
Hannah
Aug 12, 2016 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was enjoyable. A highly poetic book of detective stories. The world of Father Brown is surreal, to say the least. I enjoyed many of his thoughts, and the solution to the eponymous first story.
Brett Adams
Dec 17, 2012 Brett Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by the King of the Paradox's take on the detective novel -- no chain of deductive reasoning for Father Brown, just a trap that springs shut in the opening paragraphs... and pages of delightful reveal for the reader.
stormhawk
Mar 02, 2012 stormhawk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I think the highest praise that I can offer is that when I came to the last story in this last collection of Father Brown tales my immediate thought was "darn it, I've run out of them!"

Vivian
Nov 30, 2015 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I have now tasted the charm of "Father Brown". Each chapter is a self-contained mystery. Delightful.
Raeann
Oct 07, 2014 Raeann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
G.K. Chesterton's unassuming little Padre is amazing. These stories are perfect little bite size mysteries that can be enjoyed by all, Catholic and otherwise.
Mdbeltrano
Jan 17, 2016 Mdbeltrano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories. I read one or two each time I picked up the book. Short mysteries. I love Chesterton's choice of words.
Gary
Jan 13, 2015 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic Father Brown mysteries. In some ways these are even better than Sherlock or Lord Peter. Certainly the mind that created them had wisdom as well as invention.

Loved them.
Ellie
Ellie rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2011
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2009
Phil Clymer
Phil Clymer rated it really liked it
May 26, 2014
Mateus
Mateus rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Hayley Wilson
Hayley Wilson rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Jody
Jody rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2017
Dominik
Dominik rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2014
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Best of Mystery: 63 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense
  • Roads of Destiny
  • Nightmare Abbey; Crotchet Castle
  • Trouble for Lucia (Lucia, #6)
  • The Mirror Crack'd / A Caribbean Mystery / Nemesis / What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw! / The Body in the Library
  • Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror and Fantasy
  • Children of the Frost
  • The Tomorrow-Tamer
  • A Whisper in the Dark
  • The Fantasy Worlds of Peter Beagle
  • The Complete Short Stories: Volume 1
  • Poetical Works
  • Legends of Charlemagne
Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936) was born in London, educated at St. Paul’s, and went to art school at University College London. In 1900, he was asked to contribute a few magazine articles on art criticism, and went on to become one of the most prolific writers of all time. He wrote a hundred books, contributions to 200 more, hundreds of poems, including the epic Ballad of the White Horse, fi ...more
More about G.K. Chesterton...

Father Brown (7 books)
  • The Innocence of Father Brown (Father Brown, #1)
  • The Wisdom of Father Brown (Father Brown, #2)
  • The Incredulity of Father Brown (Father Brown, #3)
  • The Secret of Father Brown (Father Brown, #4)
  • The Collected Works of G.K. Chesterton, Volume 12: The Father Brown Stories, Volume I
  • Father Brown: The Collected Works of Father Brown

“I told Mr. Rook you were disinherited and he rushed back to help you. Mr. Rook is a rather remarkable person.”

“Oh, chuck it,” said Mr. Rook with a hostile air.

“Mr. Rook is a monster,” said Father Brown with scientific calm. “He is an anachronism, an atavism, a brutal survivor of the Stone Age. If there was one barbarous superstition we all supposed to be utterly extinct and dead in these days, it was that notion about honour and independence.”
2 likes