Start by marking “Dancing Through the Snow” as Want to Read:
Dancing Through the Snow

Dancing Through the Snow

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  345 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Min has nothing: no mother, no birth certificate, not even a real birthday. Still, a small part of her can't help aching for a miracle]]
Published June 1st 2009 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers (first published January 1st 2008)

Jessica
"So far, Min reminded herself, you have loved nobody and nobody has loved you. You weren't even given up for adoption, you were just thrown away."

This is the story of Min, a girl who was abandoned as a child. She has been in the Foster Care program ever since, bouncing around to different families. Min has nothing. No real family, no birth certificate, few memories or anything else to give clues of where she actually came from. Through her life, Min has had to put up with bullies who make fun o
Ri
Min was abandoned at the CNE at the age of 3. After being found and taken into child care, she had several foster families but in the end she was taken into the care of Jessica Hart some time before Christmas. While living there she spends time with Toby a 12 year old boy, Cassie her new dog and Emily, a lost dog Min had found. Min later takes on a new name, Jessamyn Randall which replaced her old name Minerva, which had caused her to be bullied plenty. Everything works out in the end, with an a ...more
Cortney
If you are a foster child, this is a very good book for you to read. I highly recommend it, it was amazing.
Paulina

One of my favorites books ever!!!!!!!!!! So amazing (loved it).About girl who gets adopt.
Nancy
Pamela
For middle-grade readers, a fairly good inspiring book. Young adults, however, might find it lacking in verve and zest. I thought it was a touching, hopeful and purposeful story about a twelve year old foster child and a wonderful little dog she rescues....and in turn helps rescues her from despair.
Catfantastic
Jean Little has a knack for beginning her books in the Syd-Fieldian "crunch," from which point everything gets better. I've never read anyone else who can do that--at least, no one else who can do that and make it work quite as well as she does.
Maggie Huang
Why I read it: the summary was really interesting
Why I finished: the book got more and more interesting
Who I recommend to: rose 7C
Why: I think she will really enjoy these kinds of book

When min saved Grace, I got really into the book. I never knew Grace would be a bug part of the story

Min was sent to The Children's Aid. She had nothing. She was adopted 4 times before she was dumped back to The Children's Aid a short while before Christmas. She can't stop aching for a miracle to happen. She's al
Pooja vallam
When I was in sixth grade, I thought it was way too boring, and barely breezed through chapter one, but in seventh grade I decided to force myself to read beyond the barrier that held me back for so long. Turns out right after reading the first chapter a magical world filled with surprises infected me and I didn't need to force myself, once I got infected I WANTED to read it and felt like a coward for not reading it before.
This book taught me an important lesson NOT to judge a book by it's cove
6kaylin
I read dancing through the snow by jean little I didn't really like this book that much it didn't have me hooked onto it that well. It's about a little girl named min who was adopted she didn't have a birth certificate. One day they were looking for a tree and they found a lost injured dog. They took it to the vet and it became better and they got to keep it after it became better. One of Jess friends mins mother is friends with someone who's dog they found so they had in give it back. The birth ...more
Smorrow98
I loved this book so much! It was very touching and I LOVED it. It's a perfect winter/Christmas book.
Timeshia Wesley-edwards
All of her books are amazing. I have met Jean little and she is a truly remarkable person.
Heidi
Feb 15, 2010 Heidi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades 5th - 8th
Shay
Love this book<33
Lindsay Sanderson
I didn't really enjoy this book. At all. Maybe it was because it was forcing myself to read it in French class for a French book report. Or maybe it's because it kinda sucked. It wasn't heartwarming to me and I didn't find it touching at the least. All I saw it as was words and broken story printed in paper. If this book was a song, it would be tuneless, out of time and half the band would be four measure behind.
Susan P
A girl who has moved from foster home to foster home is being brought back again, and this time just before Christmas. A small town doctor recognizes herself in the girl, and on the spur of the moment decides to take her home. Min has learned never to trust any adults, but Jess seems different. Will this placement be the one that sticks? Would be great paired with Gilly Hopkins and Hollis Woods.
Ms. Scolaro
Abandoned when she was 3, Min is passed from one foster home to another. She has no birth certificate, no identification and no history. She copes with all this by not allowing anyone to get close to her. All that changes when she is brought to live with Dr. Jess who, with the help of a rescued dog, helps her understand that someone can love and accept her for who she is. A feel good story.
Michelle Arrow
I always love the books with the abandoned dog; Winn-Dixie, and the other few dogs from other Jean Little books. But the dog in this story really touched my heart. It's really sad to hear a kid being put for adoption, but when the right person does adopt them, it even warms your heart even more. Min definitely needed a dog to keep her happy and company in her new home.
Lynn
In my opinion, it ended very happily, as Min goes from a girl who was never happy with all her foster families to one who is loved and cared of by her new foster mother. I think Jean Little has portrayed a lot of emotion in this novel. It’s a very comforting and sweet story that appeals to those at the ages of nine to twelve. I really enjoyed the book.
Laurie
Jean Little was one of my absolute favorite authors as a child, so I had high hopes for this, her first middle-grade novel in a while. It was a decent story about a foster child who, with the help of people and pets, learns to trust, but it was no The Great Gilly Hopkins. A good-enough read, especially for girls in 4th-7th grades.
Wells Margo
This book was very sweet, but I had to give it 4 stars because Min was really annoying at times. Sometimes she could be bratty too, like when she didn't want to go to school and yelled at her foster mom. For a girl who "never cried" she sure cried and/or "held back tears" a lot. Anyways, I really enjoyed this book and I loved the ending.
Not quite as good as "Willow and Twig" - that's my favourite Jean Little book by far - but still excellent. The only part I didn't quite understand was how the two main characters "found" each other - it seemed to easy. But other than that, very enjoyable!
Miranda
This is on my "Forgettable" shelf because, as I was going through notebook of read books, I came across this one...and I had NO memory of it. At all. Nada. Even when I got on here and looked at it, I couldn't remember what it was.
Virginia
this is a sweet book, a little sentimental at times, but real-feeling too. At times i felt there was a little too much happening, but i suspect i probably would've been ok with that when i was younger (like the age this is aimed at:P).
Carollynn
this book is my all time fave and i don't hesitate when it comes to books! it is amazing and i own it. Jean little really knows how to make a book about a foundling amazing!
matilde
Absolutly one of my favorite books. It is so beautiful and sad at the same time. You can feel how the main character is feeling whatever she is feeling.
Wendy
Was happy to find a kids book with a Christmas theme! The story was sweet, but the dialogue was so fakey mcfake that I almost gave up halfway through.
  • The Other Side of Blue
  • Gemini Summer
  • Last Airlift: A Vietnamese Orphan's Rescue from War
  • Project Sweet Life
  • On the Blue Comet
Jean Little is a Canadian author, born in Taiwan. Her work has mainly consisted of children's literature, but she has also written two autobiographies: Little by Little and Stars Come Out Within. Little has been partially blind since birth as a result of scars on her cornea and is frequently accompanied by a guide dog.
More about Jean Little...
Orphan at My Door: The Home Child Diary of Victoria Cope From Anna Brothers Far from Home: The World War I Diary of Eliza Bates (Dear Canada) If I Die Before I Wake: The Flu Epidemic Diary of Fiona Macgregor (Dear Canada) Mine for Keeps

“Least said,soonest mended," Toby quipped, quoting a saying Jess often used.” 1 likes