Start by marking “Souled Out: Reclaiming Faith and Politics After the Religious Right” as Want to Read:
Souled Out: Reclaiming Faith and Politics After the Religious Right

Souled Out: Reclaiming Faith and Politics After the Religious Right

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The religious and political winds are changing. Tens of millions of religious Americans are reclaiming faith from those who would abuse it for narrow, partisan, and ideological purposes. And more and more secular Americans are discovering common ground with believers on the great issues of social justice, peace, and the environment. In "Souled Out," award-winning journalis ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Princeton University Press (first published January 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Souled Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Souled Out

Amy
Mar 28, 2008 Amy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Heard this guy on The Commonwealth Club recently and the discussion was interesting... I have a feeling I won't agree with much of what he says but his arguments in the interview at the very least were provocative and reasoned, which is rare in religious and political discussions these days.
Barbara Irish
The book is a bit scattered but it's still a remarkable read. I admire him in his intellectual and scholarly quest to bring his devotion and his politics into one stream.
Nick
Like E.J. Dionne, I am a liberal Catholic, so the heart of this book, his two chapters on Catholicism, moved me. But I liked all of what he had to say about the role of faith in American politics and public life. His assessment of the current situation and likely future of religion's role in the public square is informative and quite credible. Worth reading, especially if you remember and wondered at the "no Communion for John Kerry" controversy or are trying to understand American Catholics' pa ...more
Regina
Worth the time to read it. He really looks fairly at both sides of the coin. And he gave a totally new to me concept of the idea of gay marriage. The book makes you think and like I said, he gives quotes from both sides and both sides have value. Also, he is correct when he says that the religious right-wingers need to tone it down or they are going to run people off. I think they have already run a lot of people off.
Ben
Page 184 sums it up:

"We do not need, and should not want, to end religion's public role. We do need a more capacious understanding of what that role is. ... And we need to understand that religion offers its greatest gift to public life not when it promotes certainty, but when it encourages reflection, self-criticism, and doubt".
Michael
**Not religious**

I knew it was going to be bad. I did not know, it would be this, bad.

I was looking for a the writer to give me an argument that there is a segment of the religious community that uses religion to a positive end. I didn't get what I wanted.
Krista
A really good overview on religion and politics -- how the religious right commandeered the discussion and how the right and the left need to come together to address pertinent social issues.
Diane Roark
Diane Roark marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Lauren Lubaroff
Lauren Lubaroff marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Julie
Julie added it
Apr 15, 2015
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Stephanie Allen
Stephanie Allen marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Gabor
Gabor marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Albertwaninge
Albertwaninge marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Simone Smink
Simone Smink marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Darren
Darren marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Alfred Grindon
Alfred Grindon marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Lenka Příplatová
Lenka Příplatová marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Our Divided Political Heart: The Battle for the American Idea in an Age of Discontent Why Americans Hate Politics They Only Look Dead: Why Progressives Will Dominate the Next Political Era Stand Up Fight Back: Republican Toughs, Democratic Wimps, and the Politics of Revenge One Electorate Under God?: A Dialogue on Religion and American Politics

“At the heart of my argument is the view that religious faith, far from being inevitably on the side of the status quo, should on principle hold this world to higher standards.” 2 likes