Start by marking “Soft Rain: A Story of the Cherokee Trail of Tears” as Want to Read:
Soft Rain: A Story of the Cherokee Trail of Tears

Soft Rain: A Story of the Cherokee Trail of Tears

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  28 reviews
In Soft Rain, a 9-year-old Cherokee girl finds herself in the same situation as Sweet Leaf as soldiers arrive one day to take her and her mother to walk the Trail of Tears, leaving the rest of her family behind. It all begins when Soft Rain's teacher reads a letter stating that as of May 23, 1838, all Cherokee people are to leave their land and move to what many Cherokees ...more
Published November 9th 1999 by Yearling (first published September 8th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Soft Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soft Rain

Lori
I thought this was a good book and showed kids how hard it was being forced out of your home. The Cherokee people faced alot of hard ships as they were being moved west and Soft Rain is a good character to show young girls that you have to be strong in hard times. I would recommend this book for a 12 maybe 13 year old girl to read.
Elizabeth (NC)
This was a very good book and all of my students really enjoyed it--even the ones who don't like reading. I wish that she had written more books because they were definitely primed for a sequel.
Gabriella Reeves
Let me just say I'm happy I live in the 21st century. I wouldn't like to be Cherokee, because of the sad and long trail of tears, or American because I would feel awful doing such a bad thing to Indians...well, I wouldn't have left England in the first place. LOL
Beth Medlin
Based on the history of the Cherokee Nation, this is the story of Soft Rain and her family as they are forced to leave their home and walk to their new home. The walk begins in western North Carolina and ends in Oklahoma through the brutal winter of 1838. I liked reading this historical fiction novel and imagining how hard it must of been for those who were forced to leave their homes.
Amanda Northrup
This story felt really real, if simplified for a younger audience.
Meg J.
Another book for Battle of the Books. I really liked this one, especially since this is a part of my own heritage. It was well written for elementary school kids to understand what was going on during that time.
Jaimee
I enjoyed reading this book but I thought it was a little vague. It does give a good feeling about what was happening during the trail of tears and the effect it has on the people. Soft Rain, the main character, is taken with her mother out of her home by government officials. They are taken while her father and brother were working on the field. She is then sent on a journey to the west but never gives up looking for her family.

This book would be great for 3rd graders learning about this histo
Vanessa Maeda
Main Characters: Soft Rain and her Mother
Setting: farmland in North Carolina
POV: 1st- Soft Rain

Summary:

In this book, a nine year old Cherokee Indian girl learns that there will be no more school for Cherokke children in her north Carolina community. Tribal members have signed a treaty with the white men that includes the tribes movement into new lands in the West. Soft Rain had high hopes that her family would not have to move because they had just planted corn for the next harvest. Unfortunatel
Eden
One day soldiers arrive and take Soft Rain and her Mother away. She doesn't learn until later they going west, but Soft Rain doesn't want to leave her home. Or her Grandmother. Or Pet. And where was her Father and brother, Hawk Boy? Would she ever see them again?

This is a well-written historical fiction about a family on the Trail of Tears. I couldn't help at parts to start tearing up. And when Soft Rain and her Mother were taken, I felt shocked at how sudden it was and I felt. . . . I'm not eve
Mary Simmons
This short chapter book does a great job of introducing students to the forced migration of the Tsalagi (Cherokee), to the West. Sad, but not so horrific that a 4th or 5th grader can't handle it. This is a great book to spark further research into this tragic time of America's past.
Heather Kaiser
Reading this book makes you feel like you are right there walking through history on the Trail of Tears. Picked it up and couldn't put it down until the end.
Roberto
good book - loved reading it with my 10 year old :-)
Jennifer Welch
You did not let me read it
Barbara
Nice read to show the perspective of the Native Americans.
Lori Shook
I found this book to be very easy to read and would use it in the fourth and fifth grade classroom. The story is about a nine-year old girl, Soft Rain, and her family who are forced to move from North Carolina to Oklahoma traveling the Trail of Tears. The story does not gloss over sickness and death that occurred along the journey, but is respectful toward a young audience. I suspect many other atrocities were intentionally left out. A bibliography is included which is nice for additional resour ...more
Jenny - Book Sojourner
We chose this book for our Native American history co-op, grade range 3rd to 8th. It was an easy read and more appropriate for the younger grades. The older kids could have used more details. But overall a good historical fiction story that touches all the major point of the Trail of Tears. The kids felt connected with the characters and the tragic story. And as an adult I connected with them as well.
Kristy
I used this book to design a "multi-text" unit for a fourth grade class. I believe that Soft Rain will allow students to learn about the Trail of Tears from a personal perspective, instead of from a factual perspective. I am in the process of implementing the unit in my internship classroom. We will begin reading the actual book tomorrow, Nov. 8, and I could not be more excited or more nervous!!!
mrhertershawks
This is an interesting book about how a girl (9 years old ) and her family having to move west and walk miles and miles weeks and weeks and how they survived. it is a sad and interesting book in the beginning but in the end it is happy.
It feels like you are living in the moment. it is the best book I have ever read !!!!

I hope you like this book.
Lana Jackson
Soft Rain, Age 9, and her family are forced from their home in North Carolina and travel on the Trail of Tears. Hardships endured are presented in child-appropriate language. Cherokee words are introduced and explained. Although Soft Rain and her family did not choose to move, the book ended on a hopeful note with no bitterness or resentment.
Tracy
My son had to read this book for a book report in school. In order to help him I decided I would read it...it was a short book, but not short on detail. Very touching and sad story. Recommend reading, and definitely sharing with your kids. My son is currently 9 and read it with no problem, he typically reads on a 6th grade level.

Tina
Theme: Intolerance of another culture
Summary: The story of a young Cherokee Native American and the hardships her, her family, and her people underwent when the white European settlers force them off their land in what is know as "The Trail of Tears"
Sandy
Tells about a young girl on the Cherokee Trail of Tears. We read it for a family read out loud. The kids liked the story and it had a somewhat happy ending considering all the trials they had to go through.
Samantha
Great book. Ended quickly but would be a great way to integrate history into reading. Incorporates the trail of tears on a child's level.
Randie
A very sad story. Excellent choice to get young readers interested in historical fiction.
Austin
It wasn't bad, but it was weird and strange in several parts
Grant
it was boring but had a good story
Harper
I did not like this book.
Kendall
  • The Year of Goodbyes
  • Tsunami!
  • Salt in His Shoes: Michael Jordan in Pursuit of a Dream
  • The Trap
  • Secrets on 26th Street (American Girl History Mysteries, #5)
  • I Lay My Stitches Down: Poems of American Slavery
  • New Kid in Town
  • Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon (Henry and Mudge, #4)
  • Sister to the Wolf
  • Going Home
  • Coretta Scott
  • The Class Election from the Black Lagoon
  • First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 1 & 2
  • Guests
  • What a Trip, Amber Brown
  • Dogs Don't Wear Sneakers
  • Stop That Hamster! (Ready, Freddy!, #12)
  • Children of the Longhouse