Start by marking “Craft for a Dry Lake” as Want to Read:
Craft for a Dry Lake

Craft for a Dry Lake

3.06 of 5 stars 3.06  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Kim Mahood's memoir Craft for a Dry Lake was published in 2000 and won the 2001 NSW Premier's Award and The Age non-fiction Book of the Year.
Unknown Binding, 266 pages
Published September 27th 2012 by Anchor (UK)

To ask other readers questions about Craft for a Dry Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Craft for a Dry Lake

Graham Crawford
This book annoyed the hell out of me, but to be fair to the writer the first third was quite engrossing. Kim Mahood writes well when she is telling the stories of other people, interesting tales of the indigenous folk of the Northern Territory, and the complex and often broken characters of folk who choose to work and live in the bush. This part of the book is an important snapshot of our social history.

Then it all descends into a self conscious and embarrassingly self-obsessed rant about her fe
Meredith
I don't know why it took me so long to read this book. I kept picking it up, putting it down, unable to find a rhythm with it. This is not because it wasn't good, in fact it is beautifully written, sensitively crafted and the premise deeply profound. It's exactly the kind of book I would like to write. I can only guess that it was this very depth and the author's raw introspection that made it so challenging. It is not something you can read lightly, or as a distraction from daily cares. It requ ...more
Lisa
I got really fed up with this book. It's one of those deep-and-meaningful search for an identity books. Her father, an alcoholic Irish pastoralist dies in an accident, and she, having led a city life as an artist, retraces his steps in outback NT and the est.
Yes, she writes well about the beauty of the outback, perceptively about Aborigines especially women, and compassionately about her father. But ultimately, it was a case of so what? It's too long.
Susan Penrod
Well, it actually took me nine years to FINISH this book. I must have started it a half a dozen times, only to put it down and have to start again. Kim is re-tracing her dead Father's steps through the Australian Outback to lay his ghost to rest, but finds many ghosts of her own. I found it a bit hard to distinguish between the past and present - especially in the beginning. It did get better though and I'm glad I finally finished it.
Julie Ward
Julie Ward marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Erika
Erika is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2014
Rahel Ruether
Rahel Ruether marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Inga
Inga marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Clorinda Gooseberry
Clorinda Gooseberry marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Catriona
Catriona marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Ingrid
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Naomi
Naomi added it
Aug 16, 2014
Jesse Blackadder
Jesse Blackadder is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2013
Shinichi
Shinichi marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2012
Helen
Helen is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2012
Holly
Holly added it
Aug 01, 2012
Craft For A Dry Lake Desert Lake: Art, Science and Stories from Paruku Desert Lake: Art, Science and Stories from Paruku