Start by marking “The Gambler's Fortune (The Tales of Einarinn #3)” as Want to Read:
The Gambler's Fortune (The Tales of Einarinn #3)

The Gambler's Fortune (The Tales of Einarinn #3)

The renowned thief Livak employed her great courage and cunning to escape the evil, mindbending sorcery of the Elietimm -- with the help of Ryshad, the noble swordsman who stole the beautiful bandit's heart. Now a fortune awaits her and her beloved, if Livak can secure a powerful, ancient, and forgotten magic that the Empire seeks to defend itself from its enemies.

But ther

Published July 31st 2001 by Harper Voyager (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Gambler's Fortune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gambler's Fortune

Bev
Mar 11, 2013 Bev rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is the third in the series concerning Livak and the wizards of Hadrumal.

Although I enjoyed the first two books this one was a bit of a drag. The story was slow and did not achieve much. Livak annoyed the hell out of me and could have done with a good slap.

Overall this seemed a half hearted attempt at a filler book, to pad out the overall series.
Jacob
Mar 16, 2011 Jacob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Repost from http://drying-ink.blogspot.com/2010/0... )

Juliet E. McKenna's Tales of Einarinn is a series I've been reading earlier, with - mostly - a lot of enjoyment. The Gambler's Fortune is the third book in the series, and one more returns to Livak, an itinerant gambler and trickster, now aiding Tormalin efforts against the Elietimm - for a price.
The Elietimm, or "Men of the Ice" - established as the main antagonists of the series, opposing the Kel Ar'Ayen colonists and the mainland alike.
Connie
Mar 09, 2017 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent book
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/61786.html[return][return]McKenna's work scores well above the average in at least three respects.[return][return]First, oddly enough, is the fact that the books are clearly rooted in role-playing. (McKenna makes no bones about this in any of her interviews.) It seems to me that this has a fundamental impact on the way the books are structured - you have a campaign, you have to begin it and end it, you have to provide a certain rate of incidence of exciting events, the ...more
grellian
The third installment in “The Tales of Einarinn” series continues from the point the previous volume left us – the remarkable discovery of the rich traditions of the Archipelago and the dark, coveted secrets of people from ages long gone. Our main characters Ryshad and Livak have started to plan their future life together, but before their final reunion one last impediment remains. The point of view in “The Gambler’s Fortune” is yet again transferred to Livak, as the retired thief-turned-almost- ...more
Steven Poore
Jun 09, 2012 Steven Poore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This, the best book in McKenna's series so far, draws together the separate threads of sorcery & aetheric magic, Eliettimm & mainlanders, history & quest to satisfying effect. Now that the threat from the Ice Islands has been identified, Livak seeks her own measure of profit from the hunt for hidden aetheric magic. But the Eliettimm themselves are now strong enough to cross the wide oceans and wreak havoc across the North...
Even here on the middle of a series, McKenna takes time to s
Benjamin Thomas
Apr 30, 2012 Benjamin Thomas rated it it was ok
The first two books in this fantasy series were a bit tough for me to get through...pretty good world building but lots of characters that seemed cut from the standard molds. I awarded them both 3 stars but even that felt forced.

However, I do tend to be a completist and just hate to leave a series in the middle so I decided to give this third one a try. I had thought it was the last of a trilogy but now realize there are two more (so far?) but I just don't plan on continuing. It's not a good si
Lynn
I struggled to finish this book. Having re-read the first two books in the series to re-visit the stories (I first read them both more than 15 years ago), I was anticipating the same type of complexity.

I was perplexed by the high level of seemingly gratuitous violence; at times it felt overdone and without purpose. I felt that this installment was lacking somewhat in complexity and not up to this talented author's usual standard.

That being said, I will continue with the series because Ms McKenn
Doris
Mar 17, 2011 Doris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Livak has decided to use her connections (read they owe her) into a chance to make a fortune for herself so as to allow her to establish a homestead with her paramour.

She travels with a motley crew of misfits, seeking the source and skill to use ancient magic. I never quite got into the story though - maybe you had to have read the previous books in the series (this is the 3rd in the series).

I definitely liked the ending though - a final solution to a bad marriage deal!

Gavin Greig
Oct 31, 2007 Gavin Greig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
An excellent sequel to "The Thief's Gamble" and "The Swordsman's Oath". It's nice to catch up with the lead character of the first novel, and to meet Sorgrad and Sorgren; intriguing though slightly worrying characters.

Unreservedly recommended.
Jenny
Dec 14, 2009 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
fun fantasy book, a little slow moving with an obvious plot. still curious to see what happens and thought the end was creative.
Erin
Jan 30, 2016 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, thieves
Just... so boring. How can you make this genre so boring? That's an accomplishment.
Marjorie
Mar 10, 2010 Marjorie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am still reading this series and all that I can say is that these books are good reads.
Turtles
Jun 08, 2012 Turtles rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
didn't finish
Ronald Marcil
The Tales of Einarinn #3
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2008
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2011
Von
Von rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2013
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2012
Michele
Michele rated it really liked it
May 13, 2012
Bryan
Bryan rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2014
Ivar
Ivar rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
May 27, 2008
Frans J
Frans J rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2011
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
May 15, 2014
Julian
Julian rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Alon
Alon rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Danielle Cart
Danielle Cart rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Eos
Eos rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2011
  • The Chalice (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #3)
  • The Usurper's Crown (Isavalta, #2)
  • The Rose of the World (Fool's Gold, #3)
  • The Spellsong War (Spellsong Cycle #2)
  • Fire And Sword (Keys Of Power, Book 2)
  • The Wicca Bible (The Definitive Guide To Magic And The Craft)
  • The Hickory Staff (The Eldarn Sequence, #1)
  • Monument
  • The Ring of Ikribu (Red Sonja, #1)
  • Daughter of Ancients (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #4)
  • Aurian (Artefacts of Power, #1)
  • The Door into Sunset (Tale of the Five, #3)
  • Freedom Flight (Wing Commander, #1)
  • Heroes Return (Hero, #5)
  • Japanese Cooking - Contemporary & Traditional: Simple, Delicious, and Vegan
  • Cat Scratch Fever (Cat Scratch, #1)
  • The Tower on the Rift (The View from the Mirror, #2)
  • A Pliocene Companion
Juliet E McKenna is a British fantasy author living in the Cotswolds, UK. Loving history, myth and other worlds since she first learned to read, she has written fifteen epic fantasy novels, from The Thief’s Gamble which began The Tales of Einarinn in 1999, to Defiant Peaks concluding The Hadrumal Crisis trilogy.

Currently exploring new opportunities in digital publishing, she’s re-issued her backl
More about Juliet E. McKenna...

The Tales of Einarinn (5 books)
  • The Thief's Gamble (The Tales of Einarinn #1)
  • The Swordsman's Oath (The Tales of Einarinn #2)
  • The Warrior's Bond (The Tales of Einarinn #4)
  • The Assassin's Edge (The Tales of Einarinn, #5)