Start by marking “The Gambler's Fortune (The Tales of Einarinn #3)” as Want to Read:
The Gambler's Fortune (The Tales of Einarinn #3)

The Gambler's Fortune (The Tales of Einarinn #3)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  384 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The renowned thief Livak employed her great courage and cunning to escape the evil, mindbending sorcery of the Elietimm -- with the help of Ryshad, the noble swordsman who stole the beautiful bandit's heart. Now a fortune awaits her and her beloved, if Livak can secure a powerful, ancient, and forgotten magic that the Empire seeks to defend itself from its enemies.

But ther

Published July 31st 2001 by Harper Voyager (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Gambler's Fortune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gambler's Fortune

Bev
This book is the third in the series concerning Livak and the wizards of Hadrumal.

Although I enjoyed the first two books this one was a bit of a drag. The story was slow and did not achieve much. Livak annoyed the hell out of me and could have done with a good slap.

Overall this seemed a half hearted attempt at a filler book, to pad out the overall series.
grellian
The third installment in “The Tales of Einarinn” series continues from the point the previous volume left us – the remarkable discovery of the rich traditions of the Archipelago and the dark, coveted secrets of people from ages long gone. Our main characters Ryshad and Livak have started to plan their future life together, but before their final reunion one last impediment remains. The point of view in “The Gambler’s Fortune” is yet again transferred to Livak, as the retired thief-turned-almost- ...more
Jacob
(Repost from http://drying-ink.blogspot.com/2010/0... )

Juliet E. McKenna's Tales of Einarinn is a series I've been reading earlier, with - mostly - a lot of enjoyment. The Gambler's Fortune is the third book in the series, and one more returns to Livak, an itinerant gambler and trickster, now aiding Tormalin efforts against the Elietimm - for a price.
The Elietimm, or "Men of the Ice" - established as the main antagonists of the series, opposing the Kel Ar'Ayen colonists and the mainland alike.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/61786.html[return][return]McKenna's work scores well above the average in at least three respects.[return][return]First, oddly enough, is the fact that the books are clearly rooted in role-playing. (McKenna makes no bones about this in any of her interviews.) It seems to me that this has a fundamental impact on the way the books are structured - you have a campaign, you have to begin it and end it, you have to provide a certain rate of incidence of exciting events, the ...more
Steven Poore
This, the best book in McKenna's series so far, draws together the separate threads of sorcery & aetheric magic, Eliettimm & mainlanders, history & quest to satisfying effect. Now that the threat from the Ice Islands has been identified, Livak seeks her own measure of profit from the hunt for hidden aetheric magic. But the Eliettimm themselves are now strong enough to cross the wide oceans and wreak havoc across the North...
Even here on the middle of a series, McKenna takes time to s
Benjamin Thomas
The first two books in this fantasy series were a bit tough for me to get through...pretty good world building but lots of characters that seemed cut from the standard molds. I awarded them both 3 stars but even that felt forced.

However, I do tend to be a completist and just hate to leave a series in the middle so I decided to give this third one a try. I had thought it was the last of a trilogy but now realize there are two more (so far?) but I just don't plan on continuing. It's not a good si
Doris
Livak has decided to use her connections (read they owe her) into a chance to make a fortune for herself so as to allow her to establish a homestead with her paramour.

She travels with a motley crew of misfits, seeking the source and skill to use ancient magic. I never quite got into the story though - maybe you had to have read the previous books in the series (this is the 3rd in the series).

I definitely liked the ending though - a final solution to a bad marriage deal!

Gavin Greig
An excellent sequel to "The Thief's Gamble" and "The Swordsman's Oath". It's nice to catch up with the lead character of the first novel, and to meet Sorgrad and Sorgren; intriguing though slightly worrying characters.

Unreservedly recommended.
Jenny
fun fantasy book, a little slow moving with an obvious plot. still curious to see what happens and thought the end was creative.
Marjorie
Mar 25, 2010 Marjorie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am still reading this series and all that I can say is that these books are good reads.
Ronald Marcil
The Tales of Einarinn #3
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Robert
Robert added it
Apr 26, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Keith
Keith added it
Apr 25, 2015
Lobo
Lobo added it
Apr 19, 2015
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Chris King
Chris King marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Kitty Sorah
Kitty Sorah marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Victor H
Victor H is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2015
  • The Rose of the World (Fool's Gold, #3)
  • The Ring (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #2)
  • Aurian (Artefacts of Power, #1)
  • The Spellsong War (Spellsong Cycle #2)
  • Competitions (The Blending, #2)
  • Stormlord Rising (Watergivers, #2)
  • Guardians of the Keep (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #2)
  • Thief With No Shadow
  • The Master of White Storm
  • Monument
  • The Usurper's Crown (Isavalta, #2)
  • Karavans (Karavans, #1)
  • Wildfire (Firethorn, #2)
  • Devlin's Justice (Sword of Change, #3)
  • The Hickory Staff
  • Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)
Juliet E. McKenna is a British fantasy author. She was born in Lincolnshire in 1965, and studied Greek and Roman history and literature at St Hilda's College, Oxford. She now lives in West Oxfordshire with her husband and sons.

McKenna has written two series of books, The Tales of Einarinn and The Aldabreshin Compass, as well as many short stories and articles. She is currently working on a new ser
More about Juliet E. McKenna...

The Tales of Einarinn (5 books)
  • The Thief's Gamble (The Tales of Einarinn #1)
  • The Swordsman's Oath (The Tales of Einarinn #2)
  • The Warrior's Bond (The Tales of Einarinn #4)
  • The Assassin's Edge (The Tales of Einarinn, #5)
The Thief's Gamble (The Tales of Einarinn #1) The Swordsman's Oath (The Tales of Einarinn #2) The Warrior's Bond (The Tales of Einarinn #4) The Assassin's Edge (The Tales of Einarinn, #5) Southern Fire (The Aldabreshin Compass, #1)