Start by marking “From the Pews in the Back: Young Women and Catholicism” as Want to Read:
From the Pews in the Back: Young Women and Catholicism

From the Pews in the Back: Young Women and Catholicism

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  12 reviews
From the Pews in the Back is a book filled with questions about Catholic identity. How do young Catholic women see or define themselves? What is their relationship to the church? What are their struggles and joys? In a church that often consigns them to the pews in the back, what place are young women claiming? This collection of twenty-nine essays approaches these questio ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Liturgical Press

To ask other readers questions about From the Pews in the Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Pews in the Back

What a fabulous collection of essays from young Catholic women who have struggled with the limitations and strictures their religion puts upon them, yet return to it to find or create new ways to express their vocations and commitment to the Catholic faith.

A wonderful read for anyone who has fallen away from their childhood Catholicism and wonders if or how they can return, or even if you've simply questioned some aspects of the Catholic faith.
Emilia P
So yeah. In some ways, these girls are me. A bit over-educated, somewhat self-important and simultaneously mystical about their personal faith, but most of them, unlike me, are also incredibly convinced they know what's best for their church. There was 1) not a single person in this book who said "I think it's okay that priests are celibate men!", and 2) not a single person (okay maybe one) who had any notion that their vocation might be to motherhood. It was really representative of one kind of ...more
Liz D'Onofrio
This book is a must-read for Catholic women all along the spectrum of religiosity, piety, and political/ideological leaning. It covers a wide array of Catholic experience and addresses several joys, frustrations, celebrations, and grievances that being a postmodern Catholic women entails. I think it can also be really helpful for Catholic men who struggle to appreciate the experience of women in the Church. Heck, it could also be helpful for Protestant women and men who want to get several diffe ...more
I found this collection very interesting and appreciate the foresight of the authors to compile this gem. That said, by the middle of the book, the cadence was quite predictable. Nearly all interviewed had a divinity degree.

I did enjoy this book, as it resonated with conversations I have had with other friends, but wish it compiled a more diverse group of authors.
Some really interesting stories are included here--it reads almost like a memoir despite the fact the many different authors. I found the introductions before each section a bit drawn out and not especially useful, but that was my only complaint. Besides, it's an anthology--what's not to love about an anthology?
Great to hear about other Catholic women's stories! It was a fantastic reminder of the humanness of the Church and to remember we still have head way and work to do to better the human part of our establishment.
Well written, thought- and emotion-provoking essays...a must read for anyone who identifies/d as young, a woman, and Catholic, or anyone interested in hearing this perspective.
Sep 04, 2009 James added it
While specifically about the experiences of young women who continue to choose to identify as Catholic, I identified with many of their frustrations and joys of their choice.
Absolutely love this. It is written for Catholic women born in the 70s or 80s aka me. Read it.
My memoir is in this book, so of course I'm biased!
This book needed to exist, and therefore gets five stars!
Oct 10, 2009 Cat added it
Shelves: non-fiction
katharine lassiter, love you girl.
Seth Bobbink
Seth Bobbink marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Caitlin Bancroft
Caitlin Bancroft marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Sandra Zack
Sandra Zack marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Lisa added it
Apr 23, 2015
Meg added it
Mar 31, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Kiley marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015