Start by marking “From the Pews in the Back: Young Women and Catholicism” as Want to Read:
From the Pews in the Back: Young Women and Catholicism

From the Pews in the Back: Young Women and Catholicism

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  41 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
From the Pews in the Back is a book filled with questions about Catholic identity. How do young Catholic women see or define themselves? What is their relationship to the church? What are their struggles and joys? In a church that often consigns them to the pews in the back, what place are young women claiming? This collection of twenty-nine essays approaches these questio ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Liturgical Press

To ask other readers questions about From the Pews in the Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Pews in the Back

Tamara
What a fabulous collection of essays from young Catholic women who have struggled with the limitations and strictures their religion puts upon them, yet return to it to find or create new ways to express their vocations and commitment to the Catholic faith.

A wonderful read for anyone who has fallen away from their childhood Catholicism and wonders if or how they can return, or even if you've simply questioned some aspects of the Catholic faith.
Emilia P
Mar 31, 2011 Emilia P rated it liked it
Shelves: real-books, churrrch
So yeah. In some ways, these girls are me. A bit over-educated, somewhat self-important and simultaneously mystical about their personal faith, but most of them, unlike me, are also incredibly convinced they know what's best for their church. There was 1) not a single person in this book who said "I think it's okay that priests are celibate men!", and 2) not a single person (okay maybe one) who had any notion that their vocation might be to motherhood. It was really representative of one kind of ...more
Liz D'Onofrio
Aug 09, 2013 Liz D'Onofrio rated it it was amazing
This book is a must-read for Catholic women all along the spectrum of religiosity, piety, and political/ideological leaning. It covers a wide array of Catholic experience and addresses several joys, frustrations, celebrations, and grievances that being a postmodern Catholic women entails. I think it can also be really helpful for Catholic men who struggle to appreciate the experience of women in the Church. Heck, it could also be helpful for Protestant women and men who want to get several diffe ...more
Kate
Apr 11, 2012 Kate rated it liked it
I found this collection very interesting and appreciate the foresight of the authors to compile this gem. That said, by the middle of the book, the cadence was quite predictable. Nearly all interviewed had a divinity degree.

I did enjoy this book, as it resonated with conversations I have had with other friends, but wish it compiled a more diverse group of authors.
Katherine
Sep 06, 2009 Katherine rated it liked it
Some really interesting stories are included here--it reads almost like a memoir despite the fact the many different authors. I found the introductions before each section a bit drawn out and not especially useful, but that was my only complaint. Besides, it's an anthology--what's not to love about an anthology?
Bridget
Jun 18, 2015 Bridget rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith
Great to hear about other Catholic women's stories! It was a fantastic reminder of the humanness of the Church and to remember we still have head way and work to do to better the human part of our establishment.
Lauren
Nov 28, 2009 Lauren rated it really liked it
Well written, thought- and emotion-provoking essays...a must read for anyone who identifies/d as young, a woman, and Catholic, or anyone interested in hearing this perspective.
James
Sep 04, 2009 James added it
While specifically about the experiences of young women who continue to choose to identify as Catholic, I identified with many of their frustrations and joys of their choice.
Julie
Oct 16, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this. It is written for Catholic women born in the 70s or 80s aka me. Read it.
Monica
Nov 07, 2010 Monica rated it it was amazing
My memoir is in this book, so of course I'm biased!
Feb 27, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This book needed to exist, and therefore gets five stars!
Cat
Oct 10, 2009 Cat added it
Shelves: non-fiction
katharine lassiter, love you girl.
Paula Davis
Paula Davis rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Margy
Margy rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Rebecca Kordesh
Rebecca Kordesh rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Nicolette
Nicolette marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Seth Bobbink
Seth Bobbink marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Carrie
Carrie rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Caitlin Bancroft
Caitlin Bancroft marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Sandra Zack
Sandra Zack marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
May 27, 2015
Mandy
Mandy rated it really liked it
May 04, 2015
Lisa
Lisa added it
Apr 23, 2015
Meg
Meg added it
Mar 31, 2015
Maggie
Maggie rated it really liked it
May 22, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Kiley
Kiley marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2015