Start by marking “If I Never” as Want to Read:
If I Never

If I Never

Price is used to living within the shadow of threatening friend George—forever in the fear that not to follow his lead will end in a beating. However, a new job and meeting Tara in remarkable circumstances, finally provide some direction for his life. Before long, though, George is back and Price, and now Tara, find themselves under his control once again. However, this ti ...more
Published August 29th 2009 by Legend Press

To ask other readers questions about If I Never, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Never

Katie
Nov 15, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read-books
If I was handed this book and told that it was about a man who is lacking the sense of smell, a woman who sweats profusely to the point of clearing rooms with her offensive body odor, a one legged woman, a quadriplegic, a pedophile, a recently paroled lesbian convict, a retired gangster, and a bully, I would have looked at them as if they were mad. The concept seems like a deranged circus act, with so much going on it is hard to imagine that an author could come up with any sort of cohesion, but ...more
Mandy
Oct 07, 2009 Mandy rated it really liked it
If I Never. Three words I believe many of us have uttered to ourselves at some stage during our lives. I imagine the main character Price says this to himself quite regularly, possibly even more than once a day, and once you have read the book you will not hold this against him and you will understand why these three words have a permanent abode in his mind.

Price is a likeable character, even though throughout the novel you will be screaming at him to make the opposite decisions to those which h
Ruth Dugdall
Nov 01, 2010 Ruth Dugdall rated it it was amazing
If I Never defies categorisation.
There are several storylines which weave together: a romance; a crime and a philosophical storyline which touches on the right to die & euthanasia. But this is not a heavy read - it is light, and touching. The writing pulls the reader along and I found myself willing Tara and Price to live happily ever after.
Another interesting feature of the novel is the strong focus on `difference`. One character misses a sense (he has anosmia), another suffers from exces
Allan
Dec 26, 2010 Allan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, thriller
The story revolves around an ordinary bloke called Price Waters whose life is in need some adventure or at least change for the better as it hasn't been all that momentous up till now. Price is single and jobless but those circumstances are about to change but not without consequences.

If I Never was a welcome change from my usual diet of fantasy and sci-fi novels and my first time with a book on the Kindle. I havce to say I quite enjoyed it.
Judy
Oct 27, 2009 Judy rated it really liked it
While I was reading the first few pages I thought that Price was in his teens and was surprised to find out later that he was in his thirties. His behaviour is more suited to someone younger but this did not detract from the story. It's very unusual book about different behaviours and personalities and how they interacted with each other and I enjoyed it.
Ben
Mar 21, 2015 Ben rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-novels
Book Review – If I Never by Gary William Murning

Legend Press – ISBN – 9787906558147

7 out of 10

‘If I Never’ by Gary William Murning is one of those books that flits from genre to genre. It is both a touching love story, a story about childhood friendship that is maintained when it should have been abandoned, of crime and actions that go back years, of lives that could have been different, but are not.

The book’s central character is Price, down on his luck, suffering from Amnosmia (a lack of a sen
Reid
Oct 07, 2009 Reid rated it it was ok
I'm not quite sure what to make of this book. The author's heart is clearly in the right place, and he had put a great deal of effort into crafting this story. But, in the final analysis, it is quite simply not a very good book. Murning clearly has a grasp of the craft of writing, but seems a bit more dodgy on the ideas of plot and character.

The protagonist of this book, Price, fulfills one of many easily identified stereotyped fictional characters, that of the Lovable Loser. His best friend is
Simon Lucas
Oct 31, 2010 Simon Lucas rated it liked it
This is a very unusual novel, unlike anything I've read before. The story is driven by the characters, all of whom are, in their own way, rather unusual. For the most part the characters are very well drawn, but I would echo the views of previous reviewers who believed them to be significantly younger than they are; what I read as teenage angst clearly wasn't at all.

The plot finds the central characters immersed in a series of interconnected events, which don't become fully clear to the reader
Shenstone
May 23, 2015 Shenstone rated it it was amazing
As with a previous reviewer [on Amazon.co.uk] I was introduced to the book by the author, who I'd first got to know on Twitter, hence my non de plume. Having already read the two sample chapters, I was hooked and couldn't wait for the book to arrive in the post. I wasn't disappointed!

It's a great read, plenty of action, and the characters all have a depth to them, that is lacking in some of the other books I've read in the past. For a début novel it is more than outstanding, and deserves all the
Heather *live on coffee & flowers*
I won this book through First Reads. I was very happy to have had the chance to read this book, but unfortunately it didn't live up to my expectations. I thought the story rambled on with a lot of wordy, unnecessary dialogue and nonsensical plot twists. I never really felt the characters to be in any real danger, so maybe that hampered the story's believabilty for me. Also, the characters didn't seem like adults but that they were trying to act like adults. However, it clearly took some effort p ...more
Jason Jordan
Aug 18, 2009 Jason Jordan rated it liked it
Though the adage about book covers still rings true, it need be said that If I Never is gorgeous. And Murning backs up the alluring art by delivering quality prose. In fact, there’s an awful lot to like....

Read the rest in the October 2009 issue of decomP .
Alistair
Feb 02, 2011 Alistair rated it really liked it
Excellent characterisation, an ever-moving plot and a clever twist on a made-for-each-other love story.
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2012
Tina
Tina rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2010
Ceri
Ceri rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2010
Teresa Wymore
Teresa Wymore rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Katie Ray
Katie Ray rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2010
Maggie Wilson
Maggie Wilson rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2010
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2009
John Peat
John Peat rated it really liked it
May 12, 2011
Neats
Neats rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2011
Steven Irish
Steven Irish rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Louise Wise
Louise Wise rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2010
Melanie Trevelyan
Melanie Trevelyan rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Elaine
Elaine rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Sanaz
Sanaz rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2011
Alistair Park
Alistair Park rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2012
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2009
Thesnail
Thesnail rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2013
Richard Stone
Richard Stone rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Gary is a novelist living in the northeast of England. His work, largely literary fiction, focuses on themes that touch us all — love, death, loss and aspiration — but always with an eye to finding an unusual angle or viewpoint. Quirky and highly readable, his writing aims to entertain first and foremost. If he can also offer a previously unfamiliar perspective or insight, all the better.

His first
More about Gary William Murning...