Start by marking “The True Story of Pocahontas (Step Into Reading, Step 3)” as Want to Read:
The True Story of Pocahontas (Step Into Reading, Step 3)

The True Story of Pocahontas (Step into Reading, Step 3)

Illus. in full color. Filled with suspense, romance, and historical details, here's a very young biography of the Powhatan Indian princess who played a vital role in early Colonial and Native American relations.
Published September 10th 1994 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published August 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The True Story of Pocahontas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The True Story of Pocahontas

Rosa Cline
Aug 29, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
This is a level 3 reader for a more advanced beginning reader. This book of Pocahontas I enjoyed as it does seem like it's more 'true' than some of the others we've read about her. Starting when she was a little girl and it takes us through until her death. It had facts and information I had never read about her before. It's written in a way that isn't "History in your face" I read it out loud to my special needs adult son and he payed attention and looked at the illustrations as I read to him.
Vrinda
The True Story of Pocahontas by Lucille Recht Penner is a nonfiction work intended for P-I readers. It is the tale of Pocahontas’s life, starting amongst her native family - the Powhatans, to the meeting of the English men and Captain John Smith, to the fighting that ensues between the two groups, to her capture in hopes for peace by the Powhatans, to her marriage to John Rolfe, and ultimately to her remaining in England for the remainder of her life.

This book is an insightful read to the estab
Maddie
This book is very good. The illustrations are very well done and the information is interesting. I never knew Pocahontas went to England!! Would definitely have in my classroom.
Kimberly
Sep 15, 2016 Kimberly rated it really liked it
My 2nd grader and I enjoyed reading this book together. It is very factual, but not dry.
Ashley Dement
Oct 22, 2009 Ashley Dement rated it liked it
The True Story of Pocahontas was a longer picture book but a lot of that is because of the large pictures that accompanied the text. The pictures were simple in detail but they were colorful and accurately depicted what was going on in the story. The illustrations were done in water color paints, which I enjoyed. The book broke down the life of Pocahontas in a way that could be easily be understood be younger elementary aged students. The story had an obvious plot and climax, which can help to k ...more
Marcus Gilfert
May 08, 2015 Marcus Gilfert rated it did not like it
Wow, that was really bad.
Jeff
This Step-Into-Reading book is a good relatively accurate description of what we know about the life of Pocahontas in simple language with pictures. While it does include a bit of the mythology where Pocahontas saves the life of John Smith, it follows what can be verified about her life fairly closely. I am happy to have a more accurate version of the story to share with my daughter who at four still believes that Pocahontas must have stood on a cliff and sang "Colors of the Wind."
Isabel
Dec 23, 2015 Isabel rated it really liked it
Excellent early reading book about the start of Contact in Jamestown. Dealt gently with some of the uglier parts of colonial history, including the abduction and hostage holding of Pocahontas by Captain Argall with assistance from the Powatan traitor Jopassus. It is a great introduction to a complex topic, totally appropriate for young readers without over simplifying the relationship between early European settlers and the people native to that land.
Kayla
Dec 09, 2013 Kayla rated it it was amazing
this is the true story of Pocahontas in early colonial life and native american. everyone knows the story of Pocahontas and she is a very famous native american so i would defiantly have my class read this book for social studies.
ABC
Nov 29, 2012 ABC rated it really liked it
I learned quite a bit about Pocahontas, whom I never really learned about in school. I think I enjoyed this book more than my son--for kids, it is a little dry.
Dane Morgan
Oct 06, 2013 Dane Morgan marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Datoria
This would be a good book to make connections between social studies and language arts. It is an informational pieace that is enjoying.
Karla Leon
Jun 07, 2016 Karla Leon rated it liked it
Shelves: serena
She got an A on her book report.
Andréa
This was my favorite book in 2nd grade.
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Anija
Anija marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2016
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Ann Su
Ann Su added it
Aug 12, 2016
MICHELLE
MICHELLE rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Ashlee Jencks
Ashlee Jencks marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Melissa Self
Melissa Self rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Owly
Owly added it
Jul 01, 2016
Nekko
Nekko marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Silvana Favotto
Silvana Favotto marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
  • Pocahontas And The Strangers
  • The Trail of Tears
  • Hungry, Hungry Sharks!
  • The Double Life of Pocahontas
  • A Girl Named Helen Keller (Scholastic Reader Level 3)
  • If You Were There When They Signed The Constitution
  • Dinosaur Days
  • Phoebe the Spy
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Tree in the Trail
Lucille Recht Penner is the author of many nonfiction books for kids, including Dinosaur Babies and Monster Bugs in Random House’s Step into Reading program. She lives in Tucson, AZ.
More about Lucille Recht Penner...

Step into Reading, Step 3 (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • Monster Bugs (Step into Reading, Step 3)
  • Tentacles!: Tales of the Giant Squid
  • S-S-snakes!
  • Dolphins! (Step into Reading, Step 3)
  • Arthur's Hiccups (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
  • Twisters! (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
  • Bully Trouble (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
  • Down on the Funny Farm (Step into Reading, Step 3)
  • The Missing Tooth