Start by marking “The Oxford Book of English Short Stories” as Want to Read:
The Oxford Book of English Short Stories

The Oxford Book of English Short Stories (The Oxford Books of...)

The first anthology of specifically English short stories, celebrating their eccentric differences and excellences.The thiry-seven short stories featured range from Dickens, Trollope, and Hardy to J.G. Ballard, Angela Carter, and Ian McEwan.

These stories pack together comedy and tragedy, farce and delicacy, elegance and the grotesque, ranging form social realism to the sup
Published May 1st 2009 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Oxford Book of English Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oxford Book of English Short Stories

Kitty Jay
Dec 27, 2014 Kitty Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, anthologies
An anthology such as The Oxford Book of English Short Stories may be judged by many measurements: does it anthologize well-known works or hidden gems? Does it have a discernible theme? Are the authors well-balanced, through time and genre?

A.S. Byatt has compiled a singular classic in this one. As an avid reader of anthologies of all kinds, one of the most important criterion for me is whether or not it is a rehash of the canon or introduces something new to the mix, and Byatt does not disappoint
Jul 26, 2015 G.G. rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I read a dozen of these stories with a keen group of Japanese students last year and, based on that experience, I can certainly recommend this collection for non-native speakers of English. Some of the stories (Rosamond Lehmann's "A Dream of Winter," Elizabeth Taylor's "The Blush") rely for their effect on an understanding of class that is beyond most Japanese students' experience, but more straightfoward narratives, such as Mary Mann's chilling "Little Brother" and Penelope Fitzgerald's "At Hir ...more
Oct 07, 2009 Abailart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Great collection, I have read most of them at the time of writing this. I have found diamonds among some writers I had consumed to the mine of beneath my notice.

I love what Byatt says in her introduction:

"I found, reading in bulk, that I was developing a dislike for both the 'well-made tale' and the fleeting 'impression'. Manuals on how to write short stories, and much criticism, stress unity of form, stress that only one thing should happen, that an episode or incident should be developed, or a
Nov 02, 2012 Odhran rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, anthology
I was rather disappointed with this. First off, I was expecting it to be short stories in English, rather than specifically English short stories. So immediately, we've cut out many of the best writers on the planet, even just ones who write in English. Then, AS Byatt went and picked a bunch of short stories particularly for their break with the 'traditional' way of writing short stories. I think, based on this book, we can safely say that the 'traditional' way is popular for a reason. It makes ...more
Mar 24, 2015 Leah rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in Short Stories
Recommended to Leah by: My University reading list
I'm not usually a fan of short stories but I did enjoy this little collection. I found some of them to be quite dull, but others to be fairly intriguing. As a whole it is a sweet set, and it is great to see a mixture of stories throughout the centuries.

I dislike Angela Carter's Kiss and the overload of description involved. I found 'The Landlord of the Crystal Fountain' dull and unrealistic with a sudden marriage proposal and the fact that she accepted just annoyed me to no end!

I did however en
Nov 20, 2014 Holmes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like editor A. S. Byatt's selection criterion: "that both the writing and the story should be startling and satisfying, and if possible make the hairs on the neck prickle with excitement, aesthetic or narrative." Though not all the stories live up to that criterion in my opinion, there are some notable ones that deserve special mention:

Thomas Hardy's A Mere Interlude -
It's a very interesting tale, full of twists and tension that keeps you flipping the pages. The plot is one of the most intrig
Jun 05, 2012 Elaine rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
A very good mix of stories. Collection has clearly been well thought through. I like the fact that it's in chronological order as it's interesting to see the styles change, not only author to author but decade to decade.

As with all short story collections, some are better than others. A great variety here though.
Matt Wood
It was an interesting book but I have to admit I gave up. You really have to "read" this rather than having it as a bedtime read. That said some of the stories are really entertaining and light hearted.
Jan 20, 2015 Brooks rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
With a few exceptions, (e.g. Dickens) didn't like most of these stories. Although written by established authors I found them all a bit too well written - if that makes sense - but not enjoyable, or interesting, to read. Maybe a worthy collection, but not for me.
"The subjects of these stories range from the sublime to the ridiculous, from the momentous to the trivial, from the grim to the farcical," writes novelist A.S. Byatt in her introduction to this great collection of stories.
May 21, 2016 Ginny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Favorite short stories:
- "Little brother" by Mary Mann
- "Solid Objects" by Virginia Woolf
- "The Man who loved the islands" by D.H. Lawrence
- "The kiss" by Angela Carter
Jul 06, 2016 Val rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent collection of short stories by some famous and not quite so famous authors. I enjoyed all of them to some degree.
Alfie Griffiths
Alfie Griffiths rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2013
Softwear rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2013
Brendan White
Brendan White rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Rachel Löh
Rachel Löh rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2013
Paul rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
Bethany Rutt
Bethany Rutt rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2015
Amaranta Ursula Fumagalli
Amaranta Ursula Fumagalli rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2015
Auðun Bie
Auðun Bie rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2013
Jess rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2009
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2012
Rowland Bismark
Rowland Bismark rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2010
Janice rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2010
Amy rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2013
Ash rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2016
Palina Dagny
Palina Dagny rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2014
Becky rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2014
Kelly Blewitt
Kelly Blewitt rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Unimaginable Mathematics of Borges' Library of Babel
  • The Rough Guide to Cult Fiction
  • A Window on the Universe
  • Literature and Its Writers: A Compact Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama
  • The Means of Escape
  • The Total Library: Non-Fiction 1922-1986
  • The King's English: A Guide to Modern Usage
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2009
  • The Mammoth Book of Angels and Demons
  • The Penguin Book of Ghost Stories: From Elizabeth Gaskell to Ambrose Bierce (Penguin Classics)
  • Collected Stories
  • The Best American Short Stories 1998
  • Kew Gardens
  • The Second Plane: 14 Responses to September 11
  • The Springs of Affection
  • Anthology of Japanese Literature: From the Earliest Era to the Mid-Nineteenth Century
  • The Best American Short Stories 2000
  • Borderlands 4: An Anthology of Imaginative Fiction
A.S. Byatt (Antonia Susan Byatt) is internationally known for her novels and short stories. Her novels include the Booker Prize winner Possession, The Biographer’s Tale and the quartet, The Virgin in the Garden, Still Life, Babel Tower and A Whistling Woman, and her highly acclaimed collections of short stories include Sugar and Other Stories, The Matisse Stories, The Djinn in the Nightingale’s Ey ...more
More about A.S. Byatt...

The Oxford Books of... (1 - 10 of 229 books)
  • The Oxford Book of Modern Fairy Tales