The Oxford Book of English Short Stories (Oxford Books of Prose & Verse)

The Oxford Book of English Short Stories (Oxford Books of Prose & Verse)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The first anthology of specifically English short stories, celebrating their eccentric differences and excellences.The thiry-seven short stories featured range from Dickens, Trollope, and Hardy to J.G. Ballard, Angela Carter, and Ian McEwan.

These stories pack together comedy and tragedy, farce and delicacy, elegance and the grotesque, ranging form social realism to the sup...more
Published May 7th 2009 by Oxford University Press (first published 1998)

Abailart
Great collection, I have read most of them at the time of writing this. I have found diamonds among some writers I had consumed to the mine of beneath my notice.

I love what Byatt says in her introduction:

"I found, reading in bulk, that I was developing a dislike for both the 'well-made tale' and the fleeting 'impression'. Manuals on how to write short stories, and much criticism, stress unity of form, stress that only one thing should happen, that an episode or incident should be developed, or a...more
Odhran
I was rather disappointed with this. First off, I was expecting it to be short stories in English, rather than specifically English short stories. So immediately, we've cut out many of the best writers on the planet, even just ones who write in English. Then, AS Byatt went and picked a bunch of short stories particularly for their break with the 'traditional' way of writing short stories. I think, based on this book, we can safely say that the 'traditional' way is popular for a reason. It makes...more
Leah
Nov 08, 2013 Leah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those interested in Short Stories
Recommended to Leah by: My University reading list
I'm not usually a fan of short stories but I did enjoy this little collection. I found some of them to be quite dull, but others to be fairly intriguing. As a whole it is a sweet set, and it is great to see a mixture of stories throughout the centuries.

I dislike Angela Carter's Kiss and the overload of description involved. I found 'The Landlord of the Crystal Fountain' dull and unrealistic with a sudden marriage proposal and the fact that she accepted just annoyed me to no end!

I did however en...more
Hila
Five stories in this collection were standouts for me:

At Hiruharama (by Penelope Fitzgerald)
Nuns at Luncheon (by Aldous Huxley)

and

The Destructors (by Graham Greene)
Solid Objects (by Virginia Woolf)
Toys of Peace (by Saki)
Elaine
A very good mix of stories. Collection has clearly been well thought through. I like the fact that it's in chronological order as it's interesting to see the styles change, not only author to author but decade to decade.

As with all short story collections, some are better than others. A great variety here though.
Elizabeth
One of the most teachable anthologies out there. Wonderful scope.
Martin Spinelli
Highlights for me were 'The Kiss' and 'Solid Geometries.
Raoul
Infinitely re-readable.
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Becka
Becka marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Maham Javed
Maham Javed marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Carmen Albaladejo vivero
Carmen Albaladejo vivero is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2014
Kionda Monique
Kionda Monique marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Sarah Wood
Sarah Wood is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2014
Jez
Jez is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Priya
Priya marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Vivien Waterfield
Vivien Waterfield marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
A.S. Byatt (Antonia Susan Byatt) is internationally known for her novels and short stories. Her novels include the Booker Prize-winning Possession, The Biographer’s Tale and the quartet, The Virgin in the Garden, Still Life, Babel Tower and A Whistling Woman, and her highly acclaimed collections of short stories include Sugar and Other Stories, The Matisse Stories, The Djinn in the Nightingale’s E...more
More about A.S. Byatt...
Possession The Children's Book Angels and Insects The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye The Virgin in the Garden