Herrin der Wälder

Herrin der Wälder (Sherwood #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,846 ratings  ·  133 reviews
Roberson, author of 15 previous novels, re-creates the first flush of romance between young Maid Marian and the man who will be Robin Hood in this prequel to the more familiar ``merry men'' legends--an often tiresome mixture of political chicanery and courtly passion that pales in comparison to those rollicking legends to come. Recently orphaned by her father's death in th...more
Published 1995 by Heyne (first published September 1st 1992)

Caroline
An excellent re-telling of the Robin Hood myth, with more emphasis on his motivations behind becoming an outlaw rather than the actual acts of stealing. Despite what the new cover looks like, this is not a mere romance novel. It's a very detailed historical fiction that Jennifer Roberson did a lot of research to make it feel real, and it shows. Of course, it's not going to be the exact same Robin Hood myth that people are familiar with, considering there's so many versions of the story floating...more
Brian Lee
How did this book escape my notice for so long? I am a fan of Jennifer Roberson and have read most of her other books. Truth is, I was aware of this book since it was released in 1992. I really think it was the girly romance cover art that made me balk at reading it. But girly romance this is not. I compare to Pillars of the Earth or even Game of Thrones for writing style and historical depth. A very well written book on Robin Hood. And other than Stephen Lawhead's HOOD, this is the only other n...more
Angie
LADY OF THE FOREST is my second favorite Robin Hood retelling, after The Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinley. I've talked about Roberson's Sword-Dancer saga here before, but her historicals are written in such a markedly different style from her SF/F that they deserve their own discussion. I also discovered her through this book and will always be glad I picked it up that day, despite how thick it was, and despite the cover featuring Marian's neverending braids. Actually, I think it's quite a...more
Krys

Lady of the Forest by Jennifer Roberson is the first of my goalwar this year - to read the oldest books on my shelf, or rather, the ones that have been in my life the longest that remain unread. I think I purchased this before moving out of my parents' home and I have since been living on my own well over a decade. Yeah. I've probably owned this book fifteen years. It's ostensibly a book about Maid Marion (spelled Marian in this version) and Robin Hood. It centers on Marian in a way that reminds...more
Misfit
A bit of a darker version of the Robin Hood legends 3.5 stars. In retelling the standard Robin Hood story, the author took an interesting tact and cast him as tortured from his experiences in the violence of the Crusades, sort of a medieval post traumatic stress disorder. Of course, sparks fly when he meets Marian, who the most evil Sheriff of Nottingham also desires.

No big surprises, and the usual suspects and characters as we're used to in the Robin Hood legends. I have to agree with a couple...more
Elizabeth
Ever since I read Howard Pyle's Robin Hood story in school (just one of many excellent books I read in school), I've been fascinated with the Robin Hood story. This is one of the best retellings of the myth anywhere. Jennifer Roberson explores how such a disparate group of individuals could come to form a band of merry men in an age when social distinctions and class ruled one's life and actions. As such, it's more about how this group came to steal together then about the actual stealing. What...more
Jessica
A brilliant look at the Robin Hood legend, mostly from the point of view of Marian. It really helps you understand what life would be like back then: the fear and uncertainty of having a king risking his life in a far-off land, the restrictions of being a lady of this era, and horrors of war. Robin has battle-flashbacks and a recurring fever he contracted in the Holy Land. Amazing book.
Chris
Callista
A fascinating retelling of the Robin Hood legend. Roberson developed the characters and grounded the story in the politics of the time extremely well.
Debbie Lester
My Synopsis:

Lady Of The Forest by Jennifer Roberson is a re-telling of the Robin Hood legend.

Maid Marian is still reeling from the death of her father, Hugh FitzWalter, and wondering what will happen to her childhood home of Ravenskeep, when the Sheriff of Nottingham takes an interest in her.

Robert of Locksley has only recently returned home from the crusades where he fought at the side of Richard the Lionheart. Still nursing old wounds and deeper emotional scars he fights to return to his old l...more
Kate Sherwood
I would have given it a three if it had been shorter - there wasn't much to actively dislike about it except that things kept being repeated and it took forever to get anywhere.

But there wasn't all that much to really like about it, either. I enjoyed the part where the Merry Men came together - it was obvious who everyone was, but still fun to wait for the big reveal (Will Scathlocke. But the peasants have started calling him... da dum! Will Scarlett!)

But even that dragged on. By the time Much w...more
Barb
I really liked the history that Jennifer Roberson wove into this story. She does an excellent job of creating a picture of Medieval life from peasant to Prince. She also does a very nice job of describing the politics during this period. It's obvious that she did a lot of research before sitting down to write this book.

I recently read 'Roselynde' by Roberta Gellis, it covers the same period in time as 'Lady of the Forest' but gives greater details about the politics and the conflict between King...more
Sebina~☆~ClassicMaiden
"A beautiful synthesis of Robin Hood legends." --Marion Zimmer Bradley

With her king a captive and her coffers drained, England is left in turmoil during the Crusades. After the death of her father in the Holy Land, Lady Marian of Ravenskeep finds herself alone--and at the mercy of men vying for her lands and her beauty. Thrust into games of political intrigue, the sheltered knight's daughter soon learns to trust no one. . .

Afforded a hero's homecoming, Sir Robert of Locksley returns from th
Wayland Smith
This was a very good retelling of the Robin Hood story. All the familiar elements of the myth are here, but redone in a new interpretation that really works.

Robin is fresh back from the Crusades, and he's pretty much got PTSD. Marian lost her father from the Crusades, and is now a ward of the king. Unfortunately, the King has been captured on his way home, and abuse of power runs rampant.

We meet the familiar names along the way: the Sheriff of Nottingham, Sir Guy of Gisbourne, Little John, Will...more
Molly
Well, I finished it--and I don't have any qualms about not finishing a book I'm not enjoying reading. I liked the setting a lot, and I really liked the characterization of Robin as a PTSD-haunted veteran. I thought Marian developed nicely, although I do have issues with the way every single man she meets (except Robin's father) falls hopelessly, crazedly, willing-to-kill-people in love with her. I have known a few women like that; I had a roommate in college whose ex-boyfriend went into the prie...more
Kara
A very good re-telling of the Robin Hood story, grounded in history, with an excellent portrayal of what King Richard and Prince John were probably like.

Very good eye for detail both in the day to day stuff and in the realities of war. Robin with a case of post traumatic stress makes heartbreakingly real sense.

My only problem is that Every. Single. Guy. in the Entire book falls in love or lust with Marian. If I was the sheriff's daughter, I'd be jealous too.
Alyssa
Probably the trashiest and most salacious version of the Robin Hood story I have ever come across, but with rare moments of beautiful language. Probably not worth the effort.
Nicole
Jun 13, 2010 Nicole marked it as could-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-history
I REALLY loved it; I just had stopped reading it and never got back to it before it had to be returned. I'll probably pick it up another day.
Wealhtheow
Feb 15, 2010 Wealhtheow marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wealhtheow by: Angie
I think I read this as a tween and didn't like it, but Angie's review was so heartmeltingly sincere that I have to give it another shot.
My Book Addiction and More MBA
LADY OF THE FOREST by Jennifer Roberson is an interesting Medieval Historical Fiction set in 1194 England. #1 in the "Sherwood" series. A Re-issue. The re-telling of Lady Marian of Ravenskeep and Sir Robert of Locksley. What an interesting and intriguing story of betrayal, treachery, a quest for justice,political intrigue and trust. Sir Robert and Lady Marian are kindred souls, one alone, and the other a shattered man from his time in the Crusades. Thus their quest for justice along with a group...more
Shelly
This set of novels by Jennifer Roberson is an adult version of the Robin Hood story. The original characters are here(Robin, Maid Marian, Friar Tuck, Little John, the Sheriff of Nottingham) along with some of Roberson's additions. Very well written, action packed, and will keep you turning pages. While the story is much like the old tale I would not recommend it for my 13 year old as there is some adult content. (My daughter always wants to know what I'm reading. Maybe I'll get her to start her...more
Suey
Practically perfect in every way! :)
Elizabeth
I'm going to start this off by admitting that I have always been a little teeny bit in love with Robin Hood. The feeling fluctuates from time to time, depending on what I'm reading, but it's always there. Always. I suppose there is a morbid fascination with the outlaw aspect of it. I mean, the stories always make living in Sherwood Forest seem so romantic! They don't get sick, they always have food. So, yes, I am a little obsessed with Robin Hood.

Then there is Maid Marian. I've always admired he...more
Kelsey
Robin of Locksley comes home after being away on the Crusades with King Richard and attempts to go back to normal life. His childhood friend, Marian of Ravenskeep, attends his coming home party in hopes of news on how her father died. Marian only has to look into his eyes to know that Robin is deeply troubled from his time as a prisoner of war. Robin must battle his personal demons before he can but he knows that he has his own demons to fight before he can fight for her.

Lady of the Forest is b...more
Tifnie
Ah, well, you already know...

Lady of the Forest is a richly told tale of Maid Marian and the man who is to be known as Robin Hood. Jennifer Roberson paints the picture of not only Lady Marian's life but of Sir Robert of Locksley (Robin Hood) and well. Lady Marian, born of noble birth, finds herself without parents, siblings, or a husband. She is quite wealthy with land in her holdings just waiting for a man to marry. Unfortunately she cannot marry until the King returns. Sir Robert of Locksley,...more
Blair Hodgkinson
This version of the RH story emphasizes Marian's role in the story, and as such makes a refreshing change. Marian is a strong and independent woman (so is the sheriff's daughter, though otherwise the characters are very different) such as many in the period must have been. Marian's plight, as a woman of landed estate fighting to hold on to what is rightfully hers, is very plausible historically.

Robin himself is a veteran of the Crusades, a common trope of the RH historical sub-genre. Roberson v...more
Julia
Well, I'm going to warn you now. Don't judge this book by its cover. It is not a bodice-ripping romance novel. However, despite the glowing recommendation on the cover, it's not terribly brilliant, either.

The author explains in the afterword that her purpose was to rewrite Robin Hood in as realistic a manner as possible for a centuries-old ballad with few (if any) solid facts. In this, she mostly succeeded. Her Robin Hood has a real and logical motive for stealing from the rich (although the gi...more
Becky
Nov 12, 2012 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction & Romance Fans
Recommended to Becky by: Vaginal Fantasy Hangout
Shelves: 2012
I picked this book up after hearing good things from the Vaginal Fantasy Hangout, and I loved it. It is VERY long, and it can be a little slow-moving at times, but I was never bored with it- in fact I had a hard time putting it down!

I especially like that Marian feels like a woman who actually could have lived in that time, not some anachronistic "strong woman." Don't get me wrong, she is one of the strongest female characters I've read in a long time, but her actions are believable and motivate...more
P. Kirby
Yeah, I totally glommed onto this book even though Maid Marian is at risk for setting off a three-alarm Mary Sue alert. As in, men are ready to go to war for her, Helen of Troy-style, within minutes of meeting her. (Amusingly, there's a Helen of Troy reference in the story.)

The scene is medieval England where things are looking grim. Which says a lot, because it's medieval England, before flush toilets, electricity, the Internet and modern hygiene. The kind of place where even a scraped knee mig...more
Julie Barrett
Lady of the Forest by Jennifer Roberson
I wanted to read this series of book because I love the stories of Maid Marian and Robin Hood and their escapades.
this first one is at least 600 pages long as is the second one in the series.
Starts out with Marian's father dying and Robert was with him at the battle. She's a tough strong one and now the sheriff wants to marry her. She sticks up for those less fortunate and gains them a bit of freedom, sometimes.
This last time the sheriff had a plan to not...more
  • Sherwood (Sherwood, #1)
  • The Forestwife (Forestwife Saga, #1)
  • Maid Marian
  • The Outlaws of Sherwood
  • Rowan Hood: Outlaw Girl of Sherwood Forest (Rowan Hood, #1)
  • Twilight of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #1)
  • Through a Dark Mist (Robin Hood, #1)
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Lion of Ireland
  • Outlaw (The Outlaw Chronicles, #1)
  • Pigs Don't Fly  (Pigs Don't Fly, #2)
  • Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest (Scholastic Junior Classics)
  • The Wolf and the Raven (Wodan's Children #1)
  • The Golden Key
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood: An English Legend
  • The Lute Player
  • The Fall of Atlantis (The Fall of Atlantis, #1-2)
  • The Beacon at Alexandria
Jennifer Mitchell Roberson O'Green is an author of fantasy and historical literature. Roberson has lived in Arizona since 1957. She grew up in Phoenix, but in 1999 relocated to Flagstaff. She obtained a Bachelor of Science in journalism from Northern Arizona University. Roberson had spent her final semester in England at the University of London. This enabled her to do indepth research at castles...more
More about Jennifer Roberson...
Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del, #1) Sword-Singer (Tiger and Del, #2) Shapechangers (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #1) Sword-Breaker (Tiger and Del, #4) Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)

“Now she knew, and spoke it, answering him in kind with cool self-possession, fully cognizant of what the admission could mean. “The fleshly sword, yes. But he also taught me what you cannot: what it is to love a man.” Dull color stained his face. Her thrust had gone home cleanly, and more deeply than she had hoped.

Her matter-of-fact confirmation of his crude insinuation turned the blade back on him. His eyes glittered in flame. “Do you know what I see?”

She knew very well what he saw. She named it before he could. “Robin Hood’s whore,” she answered. “And grateful for the honor.”
2 likes
“His tone was odd, a mixture of restraint and subtle conviction. He did not make light of the question, nor did he attempt to couch his words in chivalrous courtesy. “He wants you, Marian.”

She sighed. “So he says, when it is the lands he wants—”

“No.” He cut her off. “DeLacey wants you.”

She grimaced. “Because of what I have—”

“Because of what you are.” She scowled at him.

“What am I, then? Sir Hugh FitzWalter’s daughter, ward to King Richard—”

“Marian.” His face was stripped free of the mask. What she saw now was blazing, naked emotion.

“What you are is a woman he wants very badly in bed. And I think he would do anything to make sure he gets you there.” Her shocked denial was instantaneous. “Oh no—”

“Oh yes.” She stared at him, undone by his conviction. This was nothing she had anticipated, this brutal, male truth. “I—don’t understand ...” And she didn’t, not really, not fully. She was only beginning to, and it frightened her very badly.

His smile was wintry. “I am not the one to explain in elaborate detail why a man, any man, might feel as deLacey does.”

Why not?”

Robin sighed. “Helen of Troy.”

It baffled her utterly. “What?”

“Helen of Troy. Have you no knowledge of the classics?”

“Of course I do; I was told all the stories. Helen was married to Menelaus of Sparta, until Paris of Troy cast his eyes upon her and fell in love with her at once. He stole her and took her to Troy. Agamemnon and Menelaus followed to get her back, and Troy was destroyed.”

Robin nodded. “For the love of a beautiful woman.”

“Yes, but—” She stopped. “Oh no--”

“Yes.”

“But—I’m not—”

“Ask any man,” he said.”
2 likes