Start by marking “Single in Suburbia” as Want to Read:
Single in Suburbia

Single in Suburbia

Amanda’s husband has just traded her in for an affair with a teenybopper. Brooke is a trophy wife collecting dust. And Candace (Don’t call me Candy) has had too many husbands and too little love. What do these three unlikely accomplices have in common besides a Little League team called the Mudhens? A plot to reclaim a little r-e-s-p-e-c-t. And they’re going to do it with ...more
Published June 27th 2006 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Single in Suburbia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Single in Suburbia

Tasha
Feb 09, 2017 Tasha rated it it was amazing
I stumbled across this book on accident and I'm glad I did. It was hilarious and so true. Amanda's world is turned upside down when she finds out her husband is having an affair and is leaving her and their children. She has no skills, no money and refuses to ask her parents for help. Amanda befriends 2 women who are the complete opposite of her at her son's ball game when her so-called friends turn their back on her. Amanda finds the one skill that she is good at and turns it into business. Thi ...more
Susan Bricker
Jan 29, 2017 Susan Bricker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

Wendy Wax never fails to delight me in her writing. I always end her books wanting more and sad to reach the end. Single in Suburbia is a fun read, but filled with nuggets of life and living. I loved the characters and the great ending!
Tamara Evans
Nov 10, 2007 Tamara Evans rated it did not like it
Shelves: erotica
Single in Suburbia is a novel about three unlikely women(each with a secret) who are paired together to work the concession stand at their kids little league game. Through this chance occurrence, the women form a strong friendship and a lifelong bond.

Amanda Sheridan's life is falling apart at the beginning of the novel. Her husband of almost twenty years, Rob, has just left her and her two children for a woman named Tiffany who is half his age. Not only has Rob's leaving affected the family, it
Terry
Mar 04, 2017 Terry rated it really liked it
You're a 38 year old stay at home mom with two children whose lawyer husband has a mid-life crisis and leaves you for a younger woman -- to find himself. Your kids are terrified of losing their home, your upper middle class friends shun you, and your only skill is cleaning. What's a woman to do? Along with two other misfits - one a second wife, one a thrice divorcee -- you start a business cleaning your friends houses -- in French disguise of course. Hilarity follows. It's a testament to friends ...more
Eliabeth Hawthorne
Dec 09, 2011 Eliabeth Hawthorne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
Nothing is more fun and yet concerning to those watching me than when I laugh and sob at the same time. Wendy Wax accomplished this in her book Single in Suburbia. It was a hilarious description of a heart wrenching expression that brought on this fit of giggles and tears. Single in Suburbia had me chuckling almost every chapter; pair that with the character Amanda Sheridan who really knows how to put a cheating husband in his place, and you’ve got a book I could hardly put down.

Single in Suburb
gille
Jan 02, 2012 gille rated it liked it
Shelves: fiftyfiftyme
I enjoyed this book for what it was worth, though I had a hard time relating to the characters. I liked them enough, and I wanted to keep reading, but I wasn't crazy hooked so much that I couldn't put it down.

Single in Suburbia is about three women - Amanda, Candace, and Brooke - and their respective relationships. Amanda's husband has left her and their two teenage children for a young vixen named Tiffany. Candace needs to learn to live her life for herself. Brooke has a deep secret she's been
mandyfujita
Oct 05, 2014 mandyfujita rated it really liked it
I feel for Amanda Sheridan. She is a stay at home mother that has put her heart and soul into her family and her home. Her husband, Rob, is going through a mid-life crisis with the young girlfriend and the fancy car. Amanda life revolved around her husband and her children. Now that her husband is out of the picture with no money to spare, she has to figure out what she is capable of doing so that she won't loose her house in the quaint suburbs of Atlanta, Georgia.

Her son, Wyatt, is a pitcher
Krysten
Jun 24, 2013 Krysten rated it it was amazing
Single in Suburbia is the tale of Amanda, Candace (don't call me Candy) and Brooke, three women who find themselves on the outside looking in.

Amanda has been dumped by her husband of 18 years for a woman half her age and left to not only support herself but also support and care for their two children. Candace, three times married and divorced, is looking for a love that will last and finds it in inner-city baseball coach Dan Donovan. Brooke, married for the first time but her husband's second
Hoover Public Library Adult Fiction

Janet Friesner
Feb 06, 2017 Janet Friesner rated it really liked it
An older Wendy Wax book that has been on my Nook for some time. Why I have not read it before I don't know because Wendy Wax is one of my favorite authors. Went on Shop and found a couple more I have not read so they will be on my Nook very soon. This is a relationship story of three women who live in the suburbs of Atlanta. The main character, Amanda, finds out her husband of 18 years has found some young stuff so he and Amanda seperate. Her lawyer finds out he has no money, so it is up to her ...more
Sheri
Jul 30, 2011 Sheri added it
This is a great mindless read. It is about a woman in the suburbs whose hubby runs off with a girl half his age and leaves her with the kids and ultimately no money. She has no true job skills, so she schemes with two other women to clean their wealthy friends' homes. Their plan is to wear costumes so their friends won't recognize them. Each character had their own set of problems and secrets. The mentality of these rich, never-have-to-work-before women is entertaining and over-the-top. Great cl ...more
Darlene
A nice fun read with women learning to be strong or just how strong they've always been but didn't know it!! Survivors surviving life and the hardknocks of everyday women. I really enjoy Wendy Wax and the way she gets right to the heart of things that women are feeling on day to day situations!!!! Karen White introduced me to Wendy Wax and I'm so thankful to her suggestion. Two completely different mindsets on women and I love them both!!!!!
Jessica
Pretty quick, light read, but nothing new

Read this on a flight, and it held my interest for four hours. But it's nothing new for this genre. There wasn't much character development, and some story lines were seemingly abandoned. I did like the nuttiness of the main character, Amanda. I also liked the house cleaning scenes. I can't say anything in this book really stayed with me, however.
Jo Forrester
Feb 05, 2017 Jo Forrester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful romp through Suburbia

This was a fun book filled with heart felt moments and laughter. I couldn't figure out how things would work out in the end but somehow they did. The book left me smiling and I'd recommend it to a friend.
Robbin
Dec 04, 2012 Robbin rated it it was amazing
Lovely, darling! Simply smashing! A pure delight to read! In a nutshell, this one's about a suburban housewife who finds herself sans husband trying to raise two children and hang on to a house she can't afford with zero prospects for income until she and some knew friends come up with a zany idea. Throw in a steamy romance, a cooky trip to jail and little league baseball games and you've got the makings for a most excellent romantic comedy!
Mary
Apr 06, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Another with some of my favourite themes: women's friendship, southern setting, triumph and strength. Amanda is forced to take on cleaning her old society friends' homes, in disguise, after her husband leaves and she and her children are in financial trouble. With 2 very new friends, with troubles of their own, Amanda builds her life in a new way. An enjoyable read, 3.5 stars.
Amy
Feb 04, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
Pretty good story line. All 3 ladies were likable, and I did like how Amanda didn't spend too much time doing the whole "Poor Me", with her problems. Instead she found a way to solve her money problems, and stand on her own 2 feet. It was good to see Brook come clean about her past, to Hap. And Canadce seemed to have finally grown up, tho getting pregnant seems to have forced her to.
Dorothy Timm
Oct 11, 2013 Dorothy Timm rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Think "Mrs. Doubtfire" and "The Undomestic Goddess" (the book by Sophie Kinsella) combined. The way each character was well developed was good. I can't wait to read another book by Wendy Wax.
Joanna Knowles
Oct 25, 2012 Joanna Knowles rated it really liked it
I read this book for my Trashy Book Club and although it is not what I normally read, it was pretty good. I live in Roswell, GA which I believe is mentioned in the book so it was fun to have all these local names/places referenced!
♥ Marlene♥
Oct 29, 2008 ♥ Marlene♥ rated it really liked it
Finished this book last night and I am glad I picked this book. Thanks nwpassage for sending this to me.

I really enjoyed the Maid story and I caught myself laughing out loud at some occasions. Just what I needed.
Mary Beth
Jul 22, 2013 Mary Beth rated it liked it
Funny and light!
Janet
Sep 01, 2012 Janet rated it really liked it
Wendy writes great books with strong women from different backgrounds that come together. I enjoy reading her books!
Paula Wolff
Sep 09, 2014 Paula Wolff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever and comical

I liked the feisty characters and cute plot. It had me smiling throughout the whole book. It's a fun read!
Rachael Mcdonnell
Jan 31, 2011 Rachael Mcdonnell rated it liked it
Cute story. I liked the main characters.
Fun, fluff read.

Julie
Aug 30, 2011 Julie rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
This book is clearly crack. It was a bit clever, but not all that great. Still, it served it's purpose, which was to give me a nice break from depressing books about the misery of life.
Kary
Sep 01, 2015 Kary rated it really liked it
fun read loved the characters
Rhonda
Jul 28, 2013 Rhonda rated it really liked it
Just plain fun.
Katie
May 26, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-09
Hilarious! To make the bills, she dresses up like a French maid and begins to learn about the dirty secrets of her neighbors.
Jen
Jul 05, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing
Predictable, but some times that is just fine.
Nancy
Jul 09, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
Cute story but predictable. Would read other books by her.
  • The Pint-Sized Secret
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • Apocalipstick
  • Gegensätze ziehen sich aus (Mütter-Mafia, #3)
  • The Nine Month Plan
  • Charmed, I'm Sure
  • Into the Forbidden Zone: A Trip through Hell and High Water in Post-earthquake Japan
  • Ben & Jerry's: The Inside Scoop: How Two Real Guys Built a Business with a Social Conscience and a Sense of Humor
  • Stranger Things Have Happened: An Adrien English Write Your Own Damn Story (Adrien English Mystery)
  • The Romancipation of Maggie Hunter
  • The Secret Lives of Fortunate Wives
  • Dear Prince Charming (Glass Slipper, Inc., #2)
  • The Sex on the Beach Book Club
  • Bald in the Land of Big Hair: A True Story
  • Just Like a Man (OPUS prequel)
  • The Devil's Puzzle (Someday Quilts Mystery, #4)
  • And Then He Kissed Me
  • Dancing Shoes and Honky-Tonk Blues
I write novels that explore friendship, self-discovery and the challenges life brings us, leavened with a touch of humor. I'm proud of all my books and perhaps best known for my "Ten Beach Road" titles including the USA Today bestsellers, Ten Beach Road and The House on Mermaid Point, and for While We Were Watching Downton Abbey.

I was born in St.Petersburg, Florida and grew up on St. Pete Beach wi