Start by marking “King of the Holly Hop (Milan Jacovich, #14)” as Want to Read:
King of the Holly Hop (Milan Jacovich, #14)

King of the Holly Hop (Milan Jacovich #14)

#14 in the Milan Jacovich mystery series . . .
Going to your high school reunion is never fun. But this time, it's murder.
When Cleveland private eye Milan Jacovich reluctantly attends the fortieth reunion of his St. Clair High School graduating class, he gets a rude surprise: one of his classmates is found shot dead and another quickly becomes the main suspect.
The suspect,
Published May 1st 2009 by Gray & Company Publishers (first published June 2008)

To ask other readers questions about King of the Holly Hop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King of the Holly Hop

Herzog
Nov 17, 2009 Herzog rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, mystery
There was a long gap between the last Milan Jacovich and this book. I've always enjoyed this series. The story line was consistent with earlier works. The passing of Don Giancarlo and the budding friendship with McHargue are potential turning points for the series - if it continues.
April Helms
Jun 19, 2008 April Helms rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
Shelves: mystery
Yay! Another Milan Jacovich novel, after a too-long drought. This one is quite different from the other books in the series. Of course, there is still a murder, and Jacovic still getting in over his head. "King of the Holly Hop" is not quite so action-packed and more psychological and reflective. I don't mind this -- indeed, I rather liked it -- but fans of hard-hitting action might be bored. In a nutshell: Milan is at his 40th high school reunion, encountering the friends and "class types" I th ...more
Jan Aldergate
Jan 24, 2010 Jan Aldergate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Les Roberts. As usual, Cleveland is as much a character as Milan Jacovitch. Little hard to keep track of the numerous characters, but a great read.
Colleen
Oct 23, 2008 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. Being a mystery lover and from Cleveland, I really enjoy reading this author's Milan Jacovich series.
Kelley
Jul 05, 2011 Kelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fun mystery read with my favorite Cleveland detective.
Sally Eldermire
Mar 31, 2011 Sally Eldermire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-books
A good, quick read that holds your interest. It's always fun to recognize places in a book.
Rose
May 25, 2012 Rose rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I picked up this unique hardboiled detective novel, despite not always being a fan of hardboiled detective novels, because I had occasion to meet the author himself at a mystery authors festival. As Les Roberts was signing my book, I got the opportunity to ask him for writing advice, and he was graciously obliging. ("Write. Just write, and don't let anything stop you," has become my favorite new motto; I also appreciated getting official permission to not use an outline if I don't want to!)

I had
Andrew
Sep 21, 2008 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roberts does an excellent job of introducing you to the plot and all of the key characters in the first chapter. I finished it with a grin, as it looked like a preview of a coming reunion.

A doctor is killed at a 40th high school reunion and everyone who was at the soiree is a suspect, including Mylan Jacovich (pronounced MY-lan Yock-o-vitch), much to the delight of Cleveland police. The book has a universal theme, at least to anyone who's facing a high school reunion after more than 15 years (t
Scott Rhee
Les Roberts's latest book, "The King of the Holly Hop" drops his Cleveland private eye Milan Jacovich into a terrifiying setting: his 40th high school reunion. He's only there for a few hours when one of the attendees is found murdered. He is quickly hired by the prime suspect, someone he barely knew in high school. When he starts interviewing the other potential suspects (his entire graduating class), he starts to find out who his real high school friends (and enemies) actually were. Roberts cl ...more
james
Sep 30, 2013 james rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Milan Jacovich is a former Cleveland police officer who has morphed into a private detective. The book opens with MJ attending his 40th high school reunion. He's not having a great time but suddenly there is a big argument between two attendees over events that occurred 40 years ago. Later that evening one of the disputants is discovered shot to death. The other is obviously the prime suspect. The latter hires a lawyer who then hires MJ to investigate.

The problem for the police is that their fir
Ian
Aug 09, 2016 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holly Hop isn't a major departure from the rest of the Milan novels, although it seems to lean more to the psychological and emotional side of the hard-boiled PI formula rather than the fast-paced action. It's similar to The Indian Sign and The Dutch in that way, which is by no means a bad thing.

Emotionally driven as it was, the book was still a lot of fun - the backdrop of a 40 year high school reunion automatically lends itself to the social history of the area, and I always enjoy reading abou
Evelyn
Jan 13, 2009 Evelyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
When Milan Jacovich attends his 40th high school reunion, the last thing he expects to find is a dead body. Unfortunately, one of his classmates is found dead, and another classmate wants Milan's help in finding the murderer. Could Milan be looking at a 40-year-old grudge?

This is the 14th book in the series featuring Milan Jacovich. He may be getting older, but he is still a cagey, fascinating character who continues to develop in each story. The author also brings the city of Cleveland to life
Julie Davis
Good enough for what it is, hard boiled detective story. However, not as good as some of his others. The detective goes to his high school reunion, murder ensues, and he is hired to find the real killer keep a former classmate from being arrested. Too much time is spent going over and over the revelations that the high school friends aren't the great folks that he remembered from his youth. As if this is news. Or maybe it is just that I'm not crazy about either high school or reunions thereof.
R.L. Anderson
Just "OK". It was an interesting story, but I found it hard to "identify" with any of the characters. I also thought there was too much emphasis on "aging"--that is, the characters were portrayed as being past their prime, which is a topic that I don't like to dwell on. I liked the other Les Roberts books that I've read better than this one.
MB
Had a hard time getting into it, re-started and renewed 3 times. But once I got going it was just as good as all his others. I look forward to the next one and always enjoy the Cleveland references.
Bradley
Feb 05, 2010 Bradley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-bookshelf
Les Roberts brings back his Cleveland PI, Milan Jaovich (That Mi-Lan), for an 11th outing and sends him to his high school reunion. Somebody dies and Milan must navigate his own relationships as he works the case.
Eileen
Jul 11, 2012 Eileen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked this book. Another good Milan Jacovich mystery. Always based in Cleveland. Murder at a class reunion. Good story.
Jjanovyak
Ah, Cleveland. The city's always the real star in a Milan Jacovich book. This most recent entry in the series (how did I miss it? It's been out a year and a half already!) does not disappoint.
Peter Ackerman
Peter Ackerman rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2014
Andy Rankin
Andy Rankin rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2011
John Santore
John Santore rated it liked it
May 05, 2013
Pamela Lingle
Pamela Lingle rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Deb
Deb rated it it was ok
Sep 15, 2012
David
David rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Travis
Travis rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2012
Donna Kascak
Donna Kascak rated it liked it
May 03, 2011
Jinny
Jinny rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2009
Barbara Frey
Barbara Frey rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Sheetsofeaster
Sheetsofeaster rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Dangerous Mercy (Secrets of Roux River Bayou, #2)
  • How Good is Good Enough?
  • Game of Patience (Aristide Ravel, #3)
  • The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 17: The Undying Butterflies
  • Leadership for a Better World: Understanding the Social Change Model of Leadership Development
  • Big Fat Little Lit
  • Sunlight on My Shadow: A Birth Mother's Journey From Secrecy to Renewal
  • The Merchant of Death Graphic Novel
  • Jackrabbit Junction Jitters (Jackrabbit Junction, #2)
  • The Rhythm of Riddles: 3 Byomkesh Bakshi Mysteries
  • Wicked Break (Noah Braddock, #2)
  • Keeper of the Keys (Charlie Chan, #6)
  • Coaching with the Brain in Mind: Foundations for Practice
  • Coaching: Evoking Excellence in Others
  • I giovedì della signora Giulia
  • Bring Your Own Poison (Trailer Park Mystery, #4)
  • Gods of War
  • The Dutch Blue Error (Brady Coyne, #2)
Les Roberts is the author of 15 mystery novels featuring Cleveland detective Milan Jacovich, as well as 9 other books of fiction. The past president of both the Private Eye Writers of America and the American Crime Writer's League, he came to mystery writing after a 24-year career in Hollywood. He was the first producer and head writer of the Hollywood Squares and wrote for the Andy Griffith Show, ...more
More about Les Roberts...

Milan Jacovich (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Pepper Pike (Milan Jacovich, #1)
  • Full Cleveland (Milan Jacovich, #2)
  • Deep Shaker (Milan Jacovich, #3)
  • The Cleveland Connection (Milan Jacovich, #4)
  • The Lake Effect (Milan Jacovich, #5)
  • The Duke Of Cleveland (Milan Jacovich, #6)
  • Collision Bend (Milan Jacovich, #7)
  • The Cleveland Local (Milan Jacovich, #8)
  • A Shoot in Cleveland (Milan Jacovich, #9)
  • The Best-Kept Secret (Milan Jacovich, #10)