Start by marking “A Little Piece of Ground” as Want to Read:
A Little Piece of Ground

A Little Piece of Ground

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  350 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Children's novel which attracted huge media attention when first published in August 2003.
214 pages
Published August 6th 2004 by Macmillan (first published August 15th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Little Piece of Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Piece of Ground

asdewi
Buku Elizabeth Laird yang ketiga yang saya baca dan tetep aja : sukaaaaa.
Semua buku dia tuh (sejauh yang saya tahu) cerita-ceritanya humanis dan menyentuh hati.
Sungguh sayang rata-rata buku dia under rated di sini.

Berhubung lagi males (errrr....), maka saya mo kasi cuplikan dari buku ini aja. Semoga cuma cuplikan aja, udah bisa membuat anda tertarik membacanya :).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Karim duduk di ujung tempat tidur
Janet
For someone who has read The Diary of Anne Frank too many times to count, this was an important book to read. The book follows the lives of a Palestinian family and their friends, told primarily through the eyes of an adolescent young man who aspires to become a professional soccer player, despite curfews that curtail his ability to spend time outside doing much of anything.

If the mark of an educated person is to consider all sides of important issues, we probably need more books like this one--
Ghada Arafat
A really great book that made me feel that no matter what my kids will make it in their lives.I wish they will be as strong as Karim. I beleive that parents should read this book to get an idea of how our kids servive here.
S10_Abby
Protagonist: Karim, 12
Grade Level: 7-10

This book is about Karim, a twelve-year-old Palestinian boy living in Ramallah during the Israeli occupation. Karim’s number one love in life is soccer. When he meets a boy named Hopper he stumbles on the perfect place to create a soccer field – an abandoned lot filled with rubble. Hopper, a boy living in the refugee camp, Karim, and Karim’s best friend Joni (a boy from a Christian family) decide to work on the lot to make it into a soccer field, and more i
Rebecca
Jul 28, 2013 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rebecca by: Colin Haakenson
It is difficult to talk about Palestine and Israel with out being polemical. The conversation often falls into policy, politics and history that maintains an impossible place of resolution for many.

Laird paints a picture of occupation that is both relevant and frustrating. Her story holds a human element that often gets lost in ideology and politics.

Laird walks her audience through exhaustive curfews inflicted on Ramallah, Palestinians by the Israelis through Karim, a twelve year old boy protag
Marcy
This is a middle school story about Karim, his family, and his friends, all Palestinian, facing the roadblocks and bullets of the Israelis. I have read so many books from the perspective of the Israelis. It is important to remember that there is no single story. When countries and people are at war, the innocent always suffer, by all the countries involved in conflict.

Karim's grandparents' land was taken, olive groves and all. Curfews were a daily part of Ramallah, the small town in Palestine
Illyria
Boys will be boys, even in Israel-occupied Ramallah. In the days when Israeli tanks enforced long curfews that keep him cooped up at home with his bullying brother Jamal, his obnoxious sister Farah, piles of homework from school that keeps getting disrupted, and news of skirmishes, death and injuries on TV, Karim dreams of becoming world-class footballer, a successful businessman, and inventor of special acids to destroy the Israeli barbed wire fence.

But, as his uncle Abu Feisal said, in the nig
Aisha A 140A571
A boy called Karim Abodi made a list of things which he would like to do in his life. The most important thing in this list is to destroy the Israel tanks which block the street and not allowed people to go out. Karim and his family couldn't do anything except sitting at home till the curfew ends. He couldn't play football which is his passion or even see his friends. He has an elder brother who was always annoying him his name was Jamal. Karim was about to go insane because his brother in addit ...more
Sarah S
This is a very good book. It is narrated in the eyes of a Palestinian boy. The Israelis have taken over Palestine and have set down curfews. The bot Karim woks on a little piece of ground called Hopper's ground. Karim goes there every day. His parents are worried and interested in where Karim is going and they think that he was being harassed by the Israelis. When the second curfew is set, Karim doesn't make it to his house so he hides out not an abandoned car with no food or water. Karim is sho ...more
Little Miz Piggi
May 13, 2008 Little Miz Piggi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ayesha, Rachel, Holly, Enanga
Really good book. I learnt a lot from it and it is sad, funny, and it just makes me tingle when i look at the cover!
Lanier
Dec 28, 2007 Lanier rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Teens trying to understand growing up in a war-torn world.
Coming of age short novel about a young Palestinian boy who overcomes the terrors of war through play.
Genevieve
a novel written from a teen boy's perspective of living in current day Palestine. a must read.
Cheeky_Monkey
This book is not a documentary on what is happening in the Middle East, it’s a story of the life of a young boy who just happens to live in Palestine at the time of the occupation. The book focuses just as much on the conflict of the occupation as the conflicts Karim has with his parents, siblings, and friends. The book is not entirely one-sided, even though the protagonist is thoroughly against the Israelis, because of what Abu Feisal tells Karim about the enemy, ‘They are bad, good, moral, imm ...more
Rebecca Owen
Wendy
Sep 09, 2012 Wendy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wendy by: Ghada
Shelves: fiction, middle-east, 2012
This book was hard for me to read. Told from the perspective of a 12-year old Palestinian boy living in Ramallah, life under Occupation is described in a very compelling fashion. I am thankful that my children are not having to grow grow up faced with violence and uncertainty on a daily basis, but I feel so sad to think of all the children who are not so fortunate, and for their parents who are not able to allow their children to enjoy a carefree childhood. When I got this book, I intended to re ...more
Tiwik
10 hal terbaik yang paling diinginkan Karim dalam hidupnya adalah menjadi :
1. Pemain sepak bola terbaik di dunia
2. Keren, popular, ganteng, dengan tinggi minimal 1.90 meter (yang jelas lebih tinggi dari Jamal –kakaknya yang menyebalkan itu!)
3. Pembebas Palestina dan pahlawan nasional
4. Pembawa acara televisi dan actor terkenal (yang penting terkenal!)
5. Pencipta game computer terbaik sepanjang masa
6. Jadi diri sendiri, bebas melakukan semua yang dia suka tanpa diawasi terus-terusan oleh orangtua
Rahmadiyanti
This review has published on my blog.
======

Apa arti waktu dua jam bagi kita yang hidup normal (antara jam 6 sore sampai 8 malam)? Mungkin masih di kantor, bekerja dengan nyaman, di rumah tilawah selesai shalat, makan malam, sambil menonton televisi, bercengkerama dengan keluarga, atau mungkin sedang dugem di mal? Sedang membaca, atau sudah tidur, atau mungkin sedang termenung dan berkhayal?

Tapi bagi Karim dan keluarganya, waktu dua jam adalah waktu yang sangat dinanti-nantikan. Saat Karim bisa
Joe Steward
This book follows the lives of a Palestinian family and their friends, told primarily through the eyes of an adolescent young man who aspires to become a professional soccer player, despite curfews in place which seem to deny him the opportunity to spend time outside harnessing his passion for the sport.

This book gives a good insight to say the opposite side, if a class spent time reading the diary of Ann Frank. It gives opportunity for pupils to consider political issues and gives pupils the op
Frances
I chose this book as a possible classroom read for 6th or 7th graders. I know that it has been heavily criticized for being a one-sided depiction of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but I wanted to see for myself. It is not really good writing, but I do appreciate that it opens a door for readers and teachers to ask tough questions about what is going on in that region. The main character is not particularly interesting, but the writer details enough of his daily life that I'm sure my middle sc ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Karim and his family live in Palestine, which is surrounded by Israeli troops. They never know when the Israelis will lock them down under curfew, unable to go outside. Their schools, homes, and businesses may be flattened by tanks or blown up by bombs at any time. I can't imagine living like that, and I feel for Karim when he realizes, toward the end, that all he really wants is to live a normal life. Isn't that what we ordinary citizens all want--just to live our lives? Karim and his friends t ...more
Kath
Interesting story about life within the confines of occupied Palestine. Three boys unite to clear away a piece of land for themselves, only to realize that their dream may never hold.
Lelita P.
Buku yang sangat sangat sangat unyu! Novel anak yang kerasa luar dalam spirit kanak-kanaknya. Menyentuh, bikin terenyuh sekaligus pengin cubitin karakter-karakternya. Membuka wawasan tentang kehidupan keras anak-anak Palestina tanpa balutan intrik politik yang rumit, propaganda, bahkan konflik agama. Suka banget sama terjemahan Indonesia-nya yang (kata penerjemahnya) sengaja pakai bahasa nggak baku. Pilihan yang tepat, soalnya bahasa yang seperti itulah yang semakin menambah keunyuan novel ini.

S
Gracie Bellin
Not a good book I am in 7th grade and we had to read it and my group did like it!
عهود رافع
Drama drama drama !

The end is even more dramatic -_-

Doesn't even deserve half a star!
Viviana Garcia
am doing a text so i need to read the book for my chapter test
Dania Abul HAJ
an expressing book about the reality those children in palestine are facing! this book reflects clearly how childhood is being stolen by those israelis who are occupying Palestine. i was encouraged to read more about the Palestinian case only when i read this book.it talks the truth,it is such a great book with great thoughts.i enjoyed reading every page, i cried a lot! for the fact that i for the first time realized that this book is nothing but reality were trying to avoid!
Scott
My understanding is that this is a book that wants to raise awareness of the injustices in Palistine among young readers. It was particularly objective, but there is no way to look at it from a pro-Israeli perspective. I'm interested to see if it is part of school's curriculum, and I assume it was written for a UK audience given the language.

It was a very easy read, and a good way to try and understand the situation with an intriguing plot about a young man's struggle in Gaza.
J. Ewbank
This book by Elizabeth Laird is supposedly written about the Palestine area from the eyes of a young Palestinian boy. It is extemely well written. The story gets ahold of you and won't let you go. It tells of the way these boys have to live in their area to get by during the war/occupation etc. of Jewish tanks etc. We seldom hear this side of the story, but it is there for us to read. I enjoyed it.
J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
miss
Selama ini ga pernah bisa ngebayangin gimana hidup di daerah berkonflik. Apalagi di Palestina. Yang konfliknya cuma bisa dilihat di layar kaca. Mulai bisa ngeraba gimana settingnya sejak baca karya Khaled Hosseini.

Sekarang, semua bisa tergambar jelas berkat Elizabeth Laird. Tanah yg turun temurun dimiliki tiba-tiba dirampas begitu saja. Lalu mejadi tahanan di rumah sendiri. Itulah yg sudah, sedang, dan masih terjadi di Palestina.

Semoga kalian segera bebas.
Sadia
The book was really nice because it showed how life is like for Palestinian children. It is horrifying how the Israelis treat the Palestinians, and then call them the terrorists.
The book doesn't tell very much about Islam, though. Kalim doesn't pray or anything. But the book is about how the killing affects everyone (Kalim's friend Joni is a Christian), but I think it would have been better if Kalim was a better muslim.
  • The Shepherd's Granddaughter
  • A Stone in My Hand
  • Palestinian Walks: Forays into a Vanishing Landscape
  • More Than Anything Else
  • Wanting Mor
  • The Grand Mosque of Paris: A Story of How Muslims Saved Jews During the Holocaust
  • The War within These Walls
  • Something Beautiful
  • Me First
  • The Pirate of Kindergarten
Laird was born in New Zealand in 1943, the fourth of five children. Her father was a ship's surgeon; both he and Laird's mother were Scottish. In 1945, Laird and her family returned to Britain and she grew up in South London, where she was educated at Croydon High School.
When she was eighteen, Laird started teaching at a school in Malaysia. She decided to continue her adventurous life, even though
More about Elizabeth Laird...
Red Sky in the Morning The Garbage King The Betrayal of Maggie Blair Kiss the Dust Crusade