Start by marking “The Baker's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Baker's Daughter

The Baker's Daughter

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Mass Market Paperback
Published 1977 by Ace (first published 1938)

Miriam
May 29, 2013 Miriam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art

There's no "owl was the baker's daughter" allusions here -- Sue actually is the daughter of a baker. A rather uncongenial one who made her leave school to keep house for him when her mother died. A decade later he remarries, and suddenly Sue has little to occupy her time. Coincidentally overhearing a newcomer to her small Scottish town asking for a housekeeper, she takes the job and finds herself living in an abandoned mill with an absent-minded artist.
Julie
It's been a long time since i last read it so it was almost like reading it for the first time. It had me reading til 2 am to finish it, so, as always d. E. Stevenson is just such a readable author. With 50 books and more to her credit, (not sure of that number), even though i gave it a 3 star rating, i still really enjoyed reading it. There is a light touch of humor in many of her books, but that was missing here. I liked her characterization of the artist, and loved the descriptions of curling ...more
Connie Sauer
Ok- just ok. I have read a lot of WWII Germany stuff and this wasn't the best, but it was pretty good and definately worth reading.
Carolyn
Although a good read, I have some difficulty with the pre-war English social structure. Miss Bun becomes the cook to a young London couple who moved into a old mill house in her tiny village. The wife leaves her husband when he refuses to paint any more unrealistic (make-over) paintings for his rich clientele. As he paints what he wants, fewer bills are paid and Miss Bun tries her best to keep him fed and warm. She has fallen for her boss, but realizes how different their stations in life are.

Wh
Mary Anne
Stevenson's books are like candy to me. Thoughtful, well-written, and sweet.
Rosalynmp
Dated and stilted...I think she has better ones.
Canda

I am on this quest to find lost books that have stopped being published. This little gem of a novel is a sweet romance set in Scotland that was written in the 1930's but went out of publication for awhile due to paper conservation during WWII. The book jacket compared the writing to Jane Austen... well, let's not exaggerate. A pleasant read.
Danni
I like this book it had a lot of paintings and poety in it. I love poetry. It was also a clean romance. Something I have been struggling finding recently. The last two books I tried to read were so dirty I had to put them down. rrr. The people in this book were very loyal to each other which was also nice.
Anne
D.E. Stevenson is such a compelling storyteller. While her style would seem overly formal today, her real gift is in creating characters you feel like you know. And in doing so she brings to life a time that passed more than 70 years ago.
Kimberly
Written in the 1930s, another charming light romance from Stevenson. Set in rural England, a young woman takes the opportunity to leave her unpleasant home and become a cook and housekeeper for a painter and his wife. Predictable but enjoyable!
Marianne
Entertaining. I liked the author wove the story between present day Texas and Germany. How little the survivors on both sides of WW2 shared with their families.
Molly Browe
As good as 'Those who save us'
Maybe better
Nazis. Good and bad
2 good stories wrapped in one. Germany in the 40's
Southwest Border patrols today
Sara
Old-fashioned romance, writing style from a by-gone era, predictable plot...and a LOT of fun to read!
Pvillehol
Good old fashioned read about a Scottish life in 1950-60 in a small village
Debbie
Totally cheesy and predictable light romance...loved the journey nevertheless.
Olivia
I absolutely loved it! A beautiful story.
Caroleann
Good story. Holocaust theme.
Booklover
Not one of her best books.
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Marcia
Marcia marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Kerrin
Kerrin marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Kissing Kin (Williamsburg, #5)
  • Marling Hall: A Barsetshire Novel (Barsetshire #11)
  • The Christmas Mouse (Fairacre, #10)
  • The Berkeley Square Affair (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #7)
  • Dinner at Antoine's
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Csardas
  • His Burial Too (Inspector Sloan #5)
  • X-Factor: Hard Labor
  • Desire and Duty: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
Full name: Dorothy Emily Stevenson.
Her father was a Cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson

D.E. Stevenson had an enormously successful writing career: between 1923 and 1970, four million copies of her books were sold in Britain and three million in the States. Like E.F. Benson, Ann Bridge, O. Douglas or Dorothy L. Sayers (to name but a few) her books are funny, intensely readable, engaging and dependable
More about D.E. Stevenson...
Miss Buncle's Book (Miss Buncle, #1) Miss Buncle Married The Two Mrs. Abbotts Mrs. Tim Christie The Four Graces