Start by marking “The Baker's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Baker's Daughter

The Baker's Daughter

3 page preview of The Smouldering Fire at the end of the book.
Mass Market Paperback
Published 1977 by Ace (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about The Baker's Daughter, please sign up.

Marli I too re-read books over and over again. I noticed when I do a review, it asks if it is a re-read. Not exactly a list but better than nothing. I…moreI too re-read books over and over again. I noticed when I do a review, it asks if it is a re-read. Not exactly a list but better than nothing. I re-read my books so often that I made a rule that I could only count new books on my reading goal. (less)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
I've been working my way through some of D.E. Stevenson's old books lately. The Baker's Daughter isn't as inspired as Miss Buncle's Book, but it's a cozy, charming romance set in the Scottish lowlands in the 1930s.

Sue Pringle, a young woman in her early 20s who is itching to get out of her family home since her irascible widowed father (the baker of the book's title) remarried, accepts a job as live-in cook and housekeeper for an artist and his wife, who live in a renovated mill outside of town
Jacob Proffitt
Sep 28, 2016 Jacob Proffitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, chaste
I wasn't expecting this book to be quite so meandering. I enjoyed it well-enough, but the story really does mosey along at its own pace and Stevenson throws in a lot of side events that end up going nowhere that enhance the feeling of taking its own time. Which isn't a bad thing if you're in the mood for an idyllic, even pastoral piece about life in a small Scottish town and a very slow-burn romance.

Sue is truly charming, and that helps a lot. She's unhappy at home with her step-mother and her f
Miriam
May 29, 2013 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: art

There's no "owl was the baker's daughter" allusions here -- Sue actually is the daughter of a baker. A rather uncongenial one who made her leave school to keep house for him when her mother died. A decade later he remarries, and suddenly Sue has little to occupy her time. Coincidentally overhearing a newcomer to her small Scottish town asking for a housekeeper, she takes the job and finds herself living in an abandoned mill with an absent-minded artist.
Tiffany
Aug 01, 2015 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading D.E. Stevenson books are like wearing your coziest, comfiest jammies on a cool, lazy Sunday, sipping hot, homemade soup in bed. I L O V E her. This book is one of a very comforting formula of astute observations of honest, everyday people doing regular ol' things oozing with love.
Theresa
Feb 14, 2016 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction
John Darnay is a successful painter. His work has sold well and now he decides he will paint the countryside around Scotland (which entails renting 'Tog's Mill', up in the hills!)

When the Darnays hire a new cook, Sue Pringle is more than ready to take on a job. Having lost her mother several years before, Sue has completed her teen years cooking and cleaning for her father and young brother, Sandy. The loss of his first wife has changed Will Pringle into a sober, taciturn and sometimes harsh fa
QNPoohBear
Sue Pringle is the baker's daughter of the title. Her mother was the spoiled only daughter of the grocer in their small Scottish lowlands village. She was a beautiful dreamer who could have had any man in the village and she chose the baker, Will Pringle. Will is a dour, stern man who doesn't understand his children. Sue is eminently practical like her father. She was content to keep house for him after her mother died but longs for independence now her father has remarried. When the Darnays, a ...more
Julie
Feb 15, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: british-fiction
It's been a long time since i last read it so it was almost like reading it for the first time. It had me reading til 2 am to finish it, so, as always d. E. Stevenson is just such a readable author. With 50 books and more to her credit, (not sure of that number), even though i gave it a 3 star rating, i still really enjoyed reading it. There is a light touch of humor in many of her books, but that was missing here. I liked her characterization of the artist, and loved the descriptions of curling ...more
Gina Boyd
Jan 09, 2016 Gina Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
D.E. Stevenson might be the L.M. Montgomery of my adulthood. Both authors write characters who make me want to be a better person.
Mo
Jan 31, 2017 Mo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I was under the impression that Sue was about 17 and that Darnay was somewhere in his 40's. I didn't find out until page 219 that Sue was 23, and I never did find out how old Darnay was. Their relationship felt more father / daughter to me and that colored my perception of the story. I just could not get behind the idea of a romance between the two of them.
Anne
Jan 14, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
D.E. Stevenson is such a compelling storyteller. While her style would seem overly formal today, her real gift is in creating characters you feel like you know. And in doing so she brings to life a time that passed more than 70 years ago.
Connie Sauer
Feb 02, 2012 Connie Sauer rated it liked it
Ok- just ok. I have read a lot of WWII Germany stuff and this wasn't the best, but it was pretty good and definately worth reading.
Kilian Metcalf
May 03, 2017 Kilian Metcalf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read, but satisfying. Ms. Stevenson's heroines are so level-headed and sensible, never getting in ridiculous, unbelievable situations, that you admire them. That doesn't mean there is no adventure. Sue Pringle, or Miss Bun, as the hero calls her, takes a job as live-in cook for an English family living in Scotland. The very night she arrives, the wife and French maid decamp, leaving her to do double duty as cook and housekeeper to a successful artist. He is too caught up in his ...more
kris
May 08, 2017 kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sue Pringle agrees to be the housekeeper for artist John Darnay. She thinks he's fine; he thinks she's funny. SPARKS FLY. Art, divorce lawsuits, French lessons and more art later we get our happy ever after.

I really liked this! It was meandering but not too long. And it was sweet and entertaining and romantic without being over the top or treacly. And I enjoyed watching Sue and John figuring each other out, and developing their own special method of communication, and seeing how they fall in lo
classic reverie
I just love D. E. Stevenson's novels because I always find an interesting romantic story with added Scottish mise en scene feel. I just wish all her books were available via Kindle. Sue Pringle begins to enjoy life when working as a housekeeper for an artist near her home town but he is so out of her reach in so many ways and she needs to learn to forget him.
Julie  Durnell
Not one of her best-I could not warm up to Sue or Mr. Darnay. The Scotland setting was beautiful and the painting of their homeland was well done.
Misti
Feb 05, 2017 Misti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very cute, old fashioned romance. I loved how Sue took charge of her life and her own happiness. The one thing I didn't like (view spoiler) In spite of that, it was a real pleasure watching ...more
Carolyn
Dec 29, 2007 Carolyn rated it liked it
Although a good read, I have some difficulty with the pre-war English social structure. Miss Bun becomes the cook to a young London couple who moved into a old mill house in her tiny village. The wife leaves her husband when he refuses to paint any more unrealistic (make-over) paintings for his rich clientele. As he paints what he wants, fewer bills are paid and Miss Bun tries her best to keep him fed and warm. She has fallen for her boss, but realizes how different their stations in life are.

Wh
Cricket Muse
Jan 07, 2012 Cricket Muse rated it really liked it
Sue Pringle, village born and bred, is destined to live her life according to the expectations of others. As a baker's daughter, there is the expectation of working in her father's shop, which might have worked except for the tension of living with Grace, her father's new wife. There is also the expectation of working her grandfather's mercantile, a much better prospect, except for the expectation of marrying Hickey, her grandfather's assistant. Sue surprises everyone when she takes the position ...more
Danni
Mar 03, 2012 Danni rated it liked it
I like this book it had a lot of paintings and poety in it. I love poetry. It was also a clean romance. Something I have been struggling finding recently. The last two books I tried to read were so dirty I had to put them down. rrr. The people in this book were very loyal to each other which was also nice.
Ann Rutkoski
Apr 09, 2016 Ann Rutkoski rated it really liked it
The setting of this story is a small village in Scotland in the 1930's. It's a refreshing read--a slower paced time, old-fashioned romance and a peaceful period in history. Will look for more books by this author. May be difficult to find in libraries due to its publication date, but was readily available on Kindle.
Canda
May 12, 2012 Canda rated it liked it

I am on this quest to find lost books that have stopped being published. This little gem of a novel is a sweet romance set in Scotland that was written in the 1930's but went out of publication for awhile due to paper conservation during WWII. The book jacket compared the writing to Jane Austen... well, let's not exaggerate. A pleasant read.
Alana/MiaTheReader
I loved this book. As always, Stevenson brings characters from books into her reader's circle of friends for a while. I wanted to know how it would end but I didn't want it to really end. Great quality yet comfortable read.
Kimberly
Jun 27, 2010 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Written in the 1930s, another charming light romance from Stevenson. Set in rural England, a young woman takes the opportunity to leave her unpleasant home and become a cook and housekeeper for a painter and his wife. Predictable but enjoyable!
Lisa
Jul 06, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have marked this as read back in 2011. I don't remember reading it at all. Cute story, but certainly nothing like Miss Buncle's Book!
Pvillehol
Feb 28, 2009 Pvillehol rated it really liked it
Good old fashioned read about a Scottish life in 1950-60 in a small village
Mary Anne
Aug 21, 2014 Mary Anne rated it really liked it
Stevenson's books are like candy to me. Thoughtful, well-written, and sweet.
Molly Browe
Mar 28, 2012 Molly Browe rated it it was amazing
As good as 'Those who save us'
Maybe better
Nazis. Good and bad
2 good stories wrapped in one. Germany in the 40's
Southwest Border patrols today
Melissa
May 23, 2016 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! A classic, sweat love story with a main character I respected. Also an interesting look at life in the 30s.
Sara
Feb 26, 2013 Sara rated it it was amazing
Old-fashioned romance, writing style from a by-gone era, predictable plot...and a LOT of fun to read!
Jodi
Nov 06, 2015 Jodi rated it liked it
Sweet sweet book. Still no Miss Buncle. Sigh...
  • This Was Tomorrow (Williamsburg, #6)
  • The Duke's Daughter
  • The Christmas Mouse (Fairacre, #10)
  • The Mayfair Affair (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #8)
  • Dinner at Antoine's
Full name: Dorothy Emily Stevenson.
Her father was a Cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson

D.E. Stevenson had an enormously successful writing career: between 1923 and 1970, four million copies of her books were sold in Britain and three million in the States. Like E.F. Benson, Ann Bridge, O. Douglas or Dorothy L. Sayers (to name but a few) her books are funny, intensely readable, engaging and dependable
More about D.E. Stevenson...

“Excepting Will,” Mrs. Bulloch amended. “Such an affront to put upon ye, Thomas! Yon man’ll not enjoy heaven if he gets there.” “He’ll” 0 likes
“Because if you walk in a city you’re jostled by hundreds of indifferent people with indifferent eyes that look at you as if you weren’t there at all. You begin to feel you must be invisible. Hundreds and thousands of eyes, and not one pair really seeing you or caring who you are. I’d rather walk down Beilford High Street and know that everybody was saying, ‘There goes the mad painter!’ It’s better to be mad than invisible.” She” 0 likes